Why no slide solo in Mysterious Ways on this tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hatrickpatrick

The Fly
Edge's unbelievably epic slide solo at the end of Mysterious Ways seems to be absent from almost every performance of the song on this tour so far - does anyone know why this is and whether it will be making a comeback? That solo is like an incredible explosion just when you think the song is over, it's just not the same live without it...

No one has any idea why it's gone or if it'll ever be back; I doubt anyone really defends this.

All songs go through some kind of revision... I'm thinking it's the same reason he doesn't play Desire like he did on Lovetown... he's probably tired of it, or it's stressful on him...

I don't know, but Its getting to the point where I would rather see it dropped than played like this. Larry has toned this song down big time from Vertigo, and its about 2.5-3 minutes shorter than it was on Elevation.

May I suggest A.)Play it right or B.)Replace it with Trip Through Your Wires, In God's Country, Even Better Than The Real Thing or Last Night On Earth. Possibilities are endless, so insert your favorite live upbeat song here.

I don't know, but Its getting to the point where I would rather see it dropped than played like this. Larry has toned this song down big time from Vertigo, and its about 2.5-3 minutes shorter than it was on Elevation.

May I suggest A.)Play it right or B.)Replace it with Trip Through Your Wires, In God's Country, Even Better Than The Real Thing or Last Night On Earth. Possibilities are endless, so insert your favorite live upbeat song here.

I can't say I disagree with this post, although I don't agree on Trip LOL

Ever since ZOOTV, this solo has been THE highlight of the show for many, it really lifts you off your feet, one of the biggest disapointments of 360. U2 needs to add a little more 'ZING' into the setlist, it just seems so........well......there are alot of different opinions out there relating to the chosen setlist.

Edge already does high-profile slide work elsewhere in the set, so maybe they didn't want to overdo it? We all know that Edge is a minimalist guitarist, and he tends to shy away from too much "big guitar solo" stuff

reminds me of i will follow from pop when it was shortened. To be honest MW hasn't sounded as good it was in the 90's. Sometimes a band doesn't hear songs the way fans do. In their heads they may think its great.

an absense of part of a song is great?

i think they are deliberately keepin it out because edge thinks less is more. he doesn't like doing solos for the sake of solo filler.

i'm not in his camp on this one

Elavation style Mysterious Ways was fraekin awesome
Vertigo style was a bit ho hum until Edge let rip...
Popmart was cool, but Bono's lyrics at the ending were a mumble jumble that let it down a bit....
Zootv MW = the most Epic moment in music history
360 MW is jsut plain sad, however they way they did the rose bowl was commendable at least...

an absense of part of a song is great?

i think they are deliberately keepin it out because edge thinks less is more. he doesn't like doing solos for the sake of solo filler.

i'm not in his camp on this one

It's funny, he used to play quite a lot of solos. Boy and Achtung are full of them! He's only really turned his back on them lately. He's turned his back on trying to play anything interesting too.

It's funny, he used to play quite a lot of solos. Boy and Achtung are full of them! He's only really turned his back on them lately. He's turned his back on trying to play anything interesting too.

thats untrue. UC is interesting. i love his slide solos on the new album.

Maybe they are tired of the same 4 girls insisting that THEY must be on-stage to dancing during the MW slide solo?

:hmm::D:lol::wave::applaud:

Which isn't an attack on anyone that has been invited on stage to dance. It's more a joke as I have heard so many other girls (jealously) complain as to why "so and so" was up there AGAIN.

The Edge doesn't have the edge anymore.

:scream: U2 sucks!!!!!!

1254756061-screaming-infant.jpg

Back
Top Bottom