Which staples should be dropped?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What setlist staple songs should be dropped?

• Total voters

Axver

Vocal parasite
As requested, let's get some polls in here.

Firstly, which staples should be dropped? Vote for as many or as few as you like. Here, I am defining a staple as a song that has been played at a majority of concerts on at least two of the last three tours. So here's the stats for our staples:

Song Name (Popmart appearances/Total Popmart shows; Elevation appearances/Total Elevation shows; Vertigo appearances/Total Vertigo shows)
I Will Follow (93/93; 73/113; 51/132)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (33/93; 113/113; 131/132)
New Year's Day (68/93; 80/113; 65/132)
Pride (93/93; 87/113; 132/132)
Streets (93/93; 113/113; 132/132)
ISHFWILF (93/93; 30/113; 91/132)
WOWY (93/93; 85/113; 104/132)
Bullet (93/93; 112/113; 132/132)
One (93/93; 113/113; 132/132)
UTEOTW (93/93; 112/113; 41/132)
The Fly (0/93; 68/113; 90/132)
Mysterious Ways (93/93; 88/113; 67/132)
Beautiful Day (N/A; 113/113; 132/132)
Elevation (N/A; 113/113; 132/132)

Hope I haven't overlooked anything. If you're wondering where Bad is, it rather fails the criteria - sure, it did 81/113 on Elevation, but inexplicably, it only managed 9/93 on Popmart and 28/132 on Vertigo.

So over the last three tours, only 14 songs have been played at over half the concerts on at least two tours. Only two have been played at every gig over those three tours (Streets and One), plus two more have been played at every gig on the two tours for which they existed (BD, Elevation). Bullet misses out by merely one show - it was skipped on 10 October 2001. Just six songs have been played at a majority of shows over all three tours: Pride, Streets, WOWY, Bullet, One, Mysterious Ways. Had New Year's Day been played once more on Vertigo, it would be the seventh.

If you feel like cross-checking my stats:
U2 Popmart Tour - U2 on tour (Yes, I know it says 94 shows. That's including the one that wasn't played in Raleigh.)
U2 Elevation Tour - U2 on tour
U2 Vertigo Tour - U2 on tour

Sunday Bloody Sunday
New Years Day
Pride
Bullet The Blue Sky
ISHFWILF
Elevation- I was torn on this one. If they perform like they did on Elevation, then I'm fine hearing it. But if they do it like they did on Vertigo, then drop it.

My feelings on all fourteen songs (in bold are those I voted for):

I Will Follow: Keep it around. Loads of fun and always welcome.
Sunday Bloody Sunday: Get rid of it. It's been a tedious plod for the last two decades, apart from Edge's solo version.
New Year's Day: I still think this sounds as fresh as it did in 1983, I suppose because its defining characteristics are the bass and Edge's double duties. Bono could mumble it and I wouldn't care.
Pride: It's always been one of the rare few U2 songs that's worse live than in studio. It markedly improved on Vertigo, but it's still got to go.
Streets: I wouldn't weep if they did drop it, but I've no problem with it.
ISHFWILF: U2 have plenty of better singalongs.
WOWY: Never should have been played after 1992.
Bullet: I wouldn't be bothered if it stayed, and if they dug out the ZooTV version then it should never be dropped. But honestly, it's had its day. How many different ways can the band play it? Leave it alone for a tour. It's missed just six gigs since its debut!
One: Do I even need to say anything about this? I'm sure you people know how I feel about this song by now. And anyway, it's the only U2 song released before 2000 that's been played at every gig since its debut. It needs a rest!
UTEOTW: Great rocker and I'm happy for it to stay around.
The Fly: U2 would really have to fuck this up for me to object to its setlist presence. Incredible song; one of the best live.
Mysterious Ways: I have no strong feelings about its inclusion or exclusion. If it's there, it's there. If it's not, it's not. It's good fun live so I'd enjoy if it makes the set, but I wouldn't miss it either; I can think of plenty of more worthy songs that should be performed.
Beautiful Day: Not a big favourite of mine, but at least for this tour, it remains an obvious and logical staple.
Elevation: Shouldn't have been a Vertigo staple and it sure as hell shouldn't be a 360 staple. It should've been in rotation on Vertigo with a couple of other rockers.

I Will Follow: Keep it, it's a fun live track and hasn't been played to death.
Sunday Bloody Sunday: Should have been dropped after Popmart. It just sounds lacklustre these days.
New Year's Day: I would cry if they dropped this, considering it's in my top 5 U2 songs of all time.
Pride: I don't mind it, and it sounded pretty good when I saw them in 2006, but I think they should retire it before it starts sounding as tired as SBS. I doubt this will happen, though.
Where The Streets Have No Name: As above. I wouldn't be too sad to see it go.
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For: Never really enjoyed this one, it can go.
With Or Without You: Please, PLEASE DROP THIS SONG. And if not, Bono should quit pulling the ladies up on stage. It's a tired old act.
Bullet The Blue Sky: Drop. It's in the same situation as SBS, no passion anymore.
One: No friggin' comment, drop the fucker.
Until The End Of The World: Keep! One of my favourite live tracks.
The Fly: Keep. Favourite U2 song of all time and it just can't go!
Mysterious Ways: Similar to above. Edge's slide solo is one of my favourite live U2 moments ever.
Beautiful Day: It really can't go. And it is enjoyable live.
Elevation: As above. Not much substance to it, but it's fun!

All I know is that I will not be happy if I do hear One.

I went on a rampage and voted The Fly along with just about everything else there. In actuality, I would not mind if I had to hear The Fly, but I'd like it rotated with other good rocking songs of that era, like Dirty Day.

I didn't vote SBS, that's not to say that I like what it's become with a half hour of NO MORE and that sort of shit, but I think if they stripped it down, like the slow-start versions from 86, it'd probably have power again. But like that's ever going to happen.

I voted for a lot, but left Pride in to get some good karma. Yeah, leave Pride in. Make a lot of people really happy for their first U2 concert.

Take out the other stuff, make ME happy. ;)

I really really really hope I can hear UTEOTW live, in person eventually. I actually voted for more than I thought I would have. Here's to some rarities coming out of the woodwork! :cocktail:

I went on a rampage and voted The Fly along with just about everything else there. In actuality, I would not mind if I had to hear The Fly, but I'd like it rotated with other good rocking songs of that era, like Dirty Day.

I didn't vote SBS, that's not to say that I like what it's become with a half hour of NO MORE and that sort of shit, but I think if they stripped it down, like the slow-start versions from 86, it'd probably have power again. But like that's ever going to happen.

I would absolutely love to hear Dirty Day live, and I would be willing to sacrifice hearing The Fly for that.

I agree with you on the SBS thing. The Vertigo version was just...stale. It needs a good long rest.

I Will Follow:
Could need a rest now. It was a very welcome rarity during ZOO TV, played short, but with a lot of energy. Became a caricature version during '97/'98 and celebrated its resurrection during the often underestimated '01 our –full band electric, played fast including its original middle part. This quality was maintained in a way in '05/'06 – but now, give it a break and leave the slot for other tunes from the '80-'84 era, that are at least just as fine.

Sunday Bloody Sunday:
Surely one of the best U2 songs ever. But while it had its message as kind of a rarity during '92/'92 being switched with "Bad" from night to night as the show's centre song, it was thrown off for the major part of the '97 shows. Being re-discovered by Edge, it became kind of a Greatest Hit staple (again) – with the exception of the awesome 3rd leg in the USA '01, when this tune was played fast paced and had a real meaning again. In '05/'06 it was much too choreographed, much too planned in its performance. My only exceptions are Dublin 3 and in a way the 5th leg version, that did touch me more because of the intensity. It surely deserves a rest now, and might be replaced by the excellent "Please".

New Year's Day:
Still a great live track, an anthem of the earlier days – it gets fans crazy alike as te one-time-concert-goer, who is delighted about songs you from the 'Best Of', the radio, etc. I'd say, keep it in!

Pride:
This tune, though played a bit better in '05/'06, is a tragedy. Played far too slow during ZOO TV (though celebrated as ususal then), it lost its structure in '97/'98 – when the band decided from the 2nd show on, this tune could be used in an abbreviated form as part of a medley thing. With the crowd doing oh-oh-oh-oh, you just change the instrument and play the next 'Greatest Hit' – without playing "Pride"'s monumental outro. It was a fine decision, to play "Pride" only occasionally in '01, better for Bono's voice and better for the quality of the performances. In '05/'06 we sadly returned to the every night, medley form of the song –though I don't have high hopes, this will happen: Leave the tune out of the sets or at least play it complete and fast paced!

ISHFWILF:
An eternal tune, that nearly always has been performed fine and with a lot of inspiration, creating a special transcendental and community atmosphere in concerts – hope to hear it live again, soon.

WOWY:
Nope, this tune is only a mere shadow of its former self. While the band still knew, what to do with this excellent song in '92/'93 –even as part of MacPhisto's part it was still beautiful letting it "shine like stars"– in '97/'98 the decline began. New drum and rhythm patterns and effects were used, then left off. Bono tried out to sing the tune new and failed, often omitting too many words. And it was the start of Bono not playing the 2nd (acoustic) guitar any more – a lack in the sound wall, that damaged the tune even further. Instead the mass appeal –sing: oh-oh-oh-oh as the coda, instead of singing the tune longer, filling in snippets, stretching it with guitar solos etc. – became stronger and stronger. Kind of that boring and predictable, that this once beuatiful and unique tune was just only perfunctory in the encore in '01. What a great idea to throw it out of the sets on the 3rd leg and replace it with, yes, "What's goin' on" – you really can hear the difference, how inspired this tune was played back then. Never missing the tune therefore on the 1st leg in '05/'06, it was played as a perfunctory Greatest Hit again from Europe on. A sad decision, because most of the versions were simply the same, offering the stage for a cheek to chhek dance with girls as kind of background music for these choreographed moments. Not what the tune deserves, so leave it out – or go back to the '87 long version with two (!) guitars and emotion!

Bullet:
Enough said about it, try "God Part II" instead to rock the crowd!

One:
Played to death and so in a way having the same illness as "With Or Without You", this other ballad crowd pleaser stays in – simply because "With Or Without You" is out. A shame though, that in '05/'06 this once simply astonishing live tune now was the frame for over long speeches. I hope the pseudo.world poitician Bono can refrain hiself a bit better this time. Let the music speek, speek, if you want to – but not the same choreographed sentences night after night ...

UTEOTW:
Simply one of the best U2 live songs, please keep it – the only problem: Bono has to wake up again singing it, beting it out. All versions since '92/'93 are much weaker because of that fact – so try harder, folks

The Fly:
We got it fresher with new intro in '01, we got a hard rocking version with ZOO TV technica in '05/'06 after two tours leave it out this time and leave the slot for other rockers.

Mysterious Ways:
A real crowd please and still a nice one – when played as '01 and '05/'06, so play it, but plaese not on every night. And with its Maghreb-sounds, as UTEOTW it really does fit the origins of NLOTH, too.

Beautiful Day:
Though it will be played every night, I'd still say: Give this good tune a rest. Yes, it is one of the strongest singles of the decade, yes U2 see it as kind of a comeback tune. But it was played during the last two tours and so, sleep, sleep tonight – perhaps even playing it only on 1st night sets would be a good solution, too. Switch it with "Walk On" for example ...

Elevation:
Yes, also this tune as "Beautiful Day" needs a rest and should not be played night after night. Please play "Dirty Day" or "Exit" instead. But you'll see, how I will be wrong ...

Sunday Bloody Sunday (33/93; 113/113; 131/132)
ISHFWILF (93/93; 30/113; 91/132)
Elevation (N/A; 113/113; 132/132)

Sweet guinea pig of Winnipeg, those are gross statistics. Elevation...every night? :|

The only ones that should never go are Streets and New Year's Day. Those are about the only two I'd feel cheated not hearing. I would enjoy some Mysterious Ways, Beautiful Day or IWF though.

sunday bloody sunday, pride, i still haven't found what i'm looking for, with or without you, bullet the blue sky, one, and elevation.

some of the statistics for these songs is just ridiculous. elevation, one, and beautiful day being played at EVERY show? give me a break. they have plenty of hits and i'm not insinuating they should play more rare stuff instead, but they have so many hits, it's ridiculous that some are played every night and others not.

i voted for the usual suspects - sunday bloody sunday, i still haven't found, one, pride, bullet and elevation. and probably something else i forget.

i gave with or without you a pass because if they could nail that musically it could still be done well.

some of the statistics for these songs is just ridiculous. elevation, one, and beautiful day being played at EVERY show? give me a break. they have plenty of hits and i'm not insinuating they should play more rare stuff instead, but they have so many hits, it's ridiculous that some are played every night and others not.

Mr and Ms Casual Fan are going to be rather happy whether they get One, Elevation, and Beautiful Day or ISHFWILF, Desire, and EBTTRT. I don't know why U2 cling to some particular songs as if their very live career depends on it.

Mr and Ms Casual Fan are going to be rather happy whether they get One, Elevation, and Beautiful Day or ISHFWILF, Desire, and EBTTRT. I don't know why U2 cling to some particular songs as if their very live career depends on it.
exactly. i certainly understand they have to play some of their big hits. as much as i'd love a show with drowning man and promenade and acrobat and zooropa and (insert 15 other album tracks here) i know it won't happen. and that's cool. but they don't need to play every single solitary hit every night, especially when they ignore a bunch of other hits in the process. there can still be some diversity while keeping it mainstream.

it's absurd that they somehow seem to believe that with the number of singles they've released, with the sales successes of albums like the joshua tree and achtung baby that they need to play the really massive singles every night as though they're the only songs some people have heard.

Try making a setlist without the 14 songs being voted for in this thread. You still have so many famous hits - be they radio classics, top 10 singles, or material on the Best Ofs. n00by n00b fans are still going to recognise songs like Desire and HMTMKMKM. Hell, they'll probably even recognise songs like UF, In God's Country, Love Is Blindness, and Gone, given they're on Best Ofs or albums that have sold tens of millions of copies.

I voted to keep only IWF , NYD , Streets and The Fly.
But also I voted to keep B.Day , I know that`s a staple on the new tour.

But please , please get rid of Pride:madspit:
They should`ve listened to Bono during Popmart , coz he wanted NOT to play it , on that tour:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Pride, Elevation and I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For really need to go.
I wouldn't mind never seeing I Will Follow and Sunday Bloody Sunday on the setlists.

Keep all the Achtung Baby classics and Bullet, but put them into rotation. OK, The Fly should be a staple, since it is their best song. :drool:

With or Without You should be a tour rarity, something it was on the 1st leg on Vertigo. Maybe they would keep it fresh that way.

Oh, and I wouldn't mind seeing Beautiful Day and Vertigo disappear forever.

I dunno if I'd want any of these to be actually dropped permanently or even for one tour... rotated, yes. I voted Pride, ISHF, One and BD... I have also said in the past that songs like Pride and Streets are really important for people seeing their first U2 shows, as I did in '06. Those are the moments that you KNOW U2 is in front of you. But I love Streets anyway, I won't object at all to hearing it. Maybe with a better segue than Pride and a speech, but still.

I thought about including SBS and IWF, but IWF was good fun, even if I would like to see some other early stuff thrown in or rotated for variety's sake. SBS might benefit from freshening up (or stripping back again), but I guiltily confess to getting into the whole NO MORE thing. :reject:

One... I liked it on the ZooTV video, it was personal and felt like it meant something. Now it seems like it's lost that personal angle and I don't like what it's turned into. Which isn't to say I wasn't singing along at the Vertigo shows... the only time they lost me in the middle of an actual show was with Stuck. But from two years away, I could live without One, easily.

Try making a setlist without the 14 songs being voted for in this thread. You still have so many famous hits - be they radio classics, top 10 singles, or material on the Best Ofs. n00by n00b fans are still going to recognise songs like Desire and HMTMKMKM. Hell, they'll probably even recognise songs like UF, In God's Country, Love Is Blindness, and Gone, given they're on Best Ofs or albums that have sold tens of millions of copies.

Axver you should make a thread for people to make a setlist without the top 5 songs from this poll.

U2 is at a crossroads on what they should play when it comes to these "hits". One, Bullet, Pride & Sunday Bloody Sunday are really played out. They've sold out the stadiums & have a great new album (In the vein of AB & JT) so they could get away from playing the same warhorses. U2 don't follow the Stones path and give us some fresh oldies to play such as:

Desire (Full band)
Walk On
Gloria
Out Of Control
Lemon
Gone
Kite
Sort of A Homecoming
UF

Still play:
Streets
WOWY (maybe no everynight)
New Years Day
MW
The Fly
UTEOFW
Wild Horses
Vertigo
Beautiful Day

I could do without Bullet. Even though Edge kicks ass in this song, Bono sings less and less of the lyrics each tour.

Bullet and Elevation are the only ones I think absolutely NEED to be dropped. Everything else could be kept in regular rotation.

WOWY for me. The song bores me. Bono cannot pull it off vocally, and it's played to death on the radio. Maybe they can re-work that one and bring it back, but not every night. There are other staple songs they could/should lose as well, or at least re-work and not do them every night. I do care about songs like Streets, because they define U2 and their sound, but there are several others on the list that I don't care about.

Then again, a song like One means so much to me that I couldn't imagine not hearing it played, BUT I think they should rotate the songs more and not play it every night. And please: Rework it.

Pride, SBS, Bullet, on the other hand .... I'd have no problem if they were dropped.

Elevation could alternate with Vertigo, it's still great live.

Bullet the blue sky, elevation and I will follow.

I think I would shit on myself and die if I went to a U2 show and didn't hear SBS, WTSHNN, and One.

Back
Top Bottom