Which 360 songs to keep for the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

silkensky

War Child
So which songs from this tour do you hope U2 keep as staples for the next one?

Personally I hope to God that they keep Zooropa as a full time regular. This is my #1. It's otherworldly how good it is live, and deserves to be played every fucking night. Its transcendent in a stadium and I can only imagine it being better in an arena setting.

Others that have been dusted off this tour and would like to see stick around for the next outing are HMTMKMKM, EBTTRT remix, Ultraviolet, Stay (kick this one up to full band, though), and please bring back The Unforgettable Fire. Oh and if they were still playing it I would say NLOTH (the song) as well, but the rest of the material from the last album I can take it or leave it to be honest.

Your picks?

James

Doubt any of those will stick around.

I bet those are just 360 only things, especially Zooropa, which is tied heavily to the stage and the screen expanding sequence.

Although I wish they would all stay, I don't think they will. U2 tries to mix things up every tour, and that's exactly what they'll do next time around. And I don't have a problem with that.

I think Zooropa has a decent chance of staying. It's sort of insane that it's managed to be a setlist staple for as long as it has...seems like they're pretty proud of it.

Otherwise, I think MOS, GOYB, the new version of EBTTRT, MS, and Ultraviolet are all likely to reappear at some point. Maybe the Crazy remix as well, but that depends on whether they can find a compelling way to stage it without the Claw.

The only one from NLOTH to be kept will be GOYB

the war horses will live on too: SBS, Pride, WOWY, Streets

From AB: probably Mysterious Ways and One

Then lots from the new album; title TBD...but I'm confident it sounds like punk rock made on Venus and Edge is on fire.:lol:

Then lots from the new album; title TBD...but I'm confident it sounds like punk rock made on Venus and Edge is on fire.:lol:

Magnificent could easily stay just as much as GOYB from NLOTH. And perhaps a non-remix version of Crazy Tonight.

It all depends on the nature of the next tour and the nature of the next album.

I think UTEOTW will stick around for the next tour as well, along with the other stuff they've played - NYD, OOC, The Fly. Just not as staples. (Love to be wrong though)

If anything Magnificent & Boots will stay...

Mercy will make a full return.

I'm quite certain they'll dig into Pop in the next tour, or Zooropa songs like "Daddy's Gonna Pay" or even "Dirty Day"

Magnificent has already been dropped for quite a few shows now, so unless they find that love and feeling with the song again I don't ever see it coming back.

A Pop comeback seems pretty logical, hopefully along with the balance of Achtung Baby material which didn't get an outing on 360.

I was quite shocked when I didn't see Magnificent in Miami, to be honest.

I have no idea why they would dump it. I thought it was working great.

I could see Boots and Moment of Surrender as the hold overs from NLOTH.

I think the Crazy remix, while it works very well on 360, is very difficult to transport away from the claw and I get the feeling they're not confident enough in the album version to play it live all the time. Or at all......

Unfortunately, I don't see Magnificent, Breathe or No Line, songs that have been dropped for quite some time now, making any appearances in the future.

There's so much in the mix that I'd love to see stay in the mix. The key, as always, will be a bit more rotation in the set lists. Nothing crazy like Bruce or Pearl Jam, but just 1 or 2 more rotating spots will let them keep songs like:

EBTTRT(new arrangement)
Stay
Zooropa
Out of Control/I Will Follow
All I Want Is You/Love Rescue Me
Ultraviolet/Hold Me Thrill Me

I think the 360 staples with the best chance of sticking around are Even Better, Moment of Surrender and Ultraviolet.

Their back catalog selections next tour should be prioritized as follows:

Bad needs to be a little more common.

Kite needs to be sprinkled in occasionally, much like Bad.

Who's Gonna Ride is way too good to sit on the bench like it has for every tour except Vertigo.

Pop: Just give something from this album a staple slot and have something else rotate. I'm thinking they could have Discotheque as a staple and rotate Gone, Please and LNOE in to another spot. In the ideal case, they'd nail Do You Feel Loved down just like they did in the studio, but really, that's only a wild dream of mine at this point. I, like everyone, would be entirely satisfied with anyone of these kick ass live songs being remembered finally!!

JT: Running To Standstill, Trip Through Your Wires and In God's Country are all long due for a comeback. Bullet should definitely come back in, too. Maybe not as a staple, but at least to the level NYD or Ultraviolet have been played in 2010/2011.

War: They need 1 more from this album in regular rotation. I'd love for it to be 2 Hearts, but Seconds, Like A Song and 40 would all be welcome in this spot!!

Out of the NLOTH songs, it's hard to say which if any will make it to the next tour. I guess they will have to play one or two which can only be Boots or Magnificent I guess, two of the best live songs, Breathe and NLTH were dropped a very long time ago.

I was quite shocked when I didn't see Magnificent in Miami, to be honest.

I have no idea why they would dump it. I thought it was working great.

If it was dropped for adding The Fly, then it was the right thing to do. I thought the remix was bad, preferred the original version. But I even forgot about Magnificent at the show, so dropping it didn't do any harm to me.

I actually thought they would have kept Breathe in the set-list. REALLY like the song and live is just amazing! Larry's opening on the drums and each member slowly coming out on stage rocked!

I couldn't understand why for this leg they did so many Achtung Baby tunes, like 4 in a row to start, but then at the show I was at in Toronto Bono mentioned it was 20 yrs since they came out with Achtung (yup 20 FREAKING YEARS!!) - thus the homage to the album.

They played Zooropa, which I love, but thought that maybe it may have been lost on some of the less die-hard fans in the crowd.

I don't know if Boots will make the cut to the next tour. Of course, it depends on what the album will sound like.

I'd say they might venture back and play the normal version of Magnificent and Crazy Tonight, and maybe they'd bust out Breathe or No Line to come back. I don't think MOS will stick around either.

But really, it's impossible to know without knowing how the next album will sound, and more importantly, what the setup is for the next tour. Is it a huge stadium spectacle? Is it a smaller, Elevation type set up or (likely) something in between?

U2 tries to mix things up every tour, and that's exactly what they'll do next time around. And I don't have a problem with that.

Amen. I love a lot of the songs they played on this tour, but I wouldn't mind them playing other rarities on the next tour or bringing back old live staples too (*cough* Gone! *cough*).

I did love seeing Zooropa live, though it does seem to fit the outdoor/lighting setting on this tour the best. Not sure how it'd work in arenas if that's where they return next time. I'd love to see UV play out on the next tour for a few shows, as that's always a song of theirs that deserves more attention, but we'll see.

Back
Top Bottom