Where The Streets Have No Name - How it was meant to be played

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Pac_Mule

Refugee
WTSHNN is one of my favorite songs, and I love hearing it live too. But they've never played it as well as they could have since the Joshua Tree. But finally, we have the long organ intro that isnt cut off, bringing the guitars and vocals up a half step to what it was on the album, and they even had the red background at the beginning :drool:

and there is desmond tutu speech over it..
the speech itself is not bad, but it takes you out of the build up of the intro thus making the long intro totally worthless :(

I wouldn't call that part of the "long JT intro" as we know it. It's just the opening two chords, repeated, and I'd almost bet that it isn't part of the live Lawless keyboards, it *sounds looped in the background of the prerecorded Tutu speech - but I wasn't there so maybe someone who was close up to the stage can tell. At any rate, the real "long intro" is different and is live.

I think they should segue from one song into Streets - like MLK into Streets (from the Superbowl!) It makes the intro soo much better in my opinion. This song is U2.

All I Want Is You into Streets (particularly at Slane Castle) is utter brilliance. It's so powerful. I wish they were playing that this tour!!! Maybe it'll pop up later.

It was considerably longer, it did the entire chord progression once through on the strings only, then the midi bass then the count in and Edge coming in. What they basically did for the shorter version is chop those first 12 bars or whatever of just the strings. Most likely because unless it was opening, they would already be on stage and the JT intro would be too long. I think the long version is quite possibly U2's best opener in their history.

I still think that Moment of Surrender would work well if at the end the organs slowly melted into the Streets intro.

what the hell is with these peeps that want nothing but U2 to repeat themselves :doh::doh::doh:

:down:This will be the 5th straight tour where Streets has occupied this spot on the setlist. It would be less repititious to have it open again.

I wanted to see it open since that would mean a break from the past 4 tours. Would be nice, in theory, to see a setlist not designed around Streets ending (or being close to ending) the main set.

Doesn't really worry me though. I am liking a lot the 2 setlists so far from the new tour.

I'd love to hear again from pop the crescendo of please then tailing off with the screen going red and please still going on with everyone knowing whats coming and then the slow build up into the streets

:down:This will be the 5th straight tour where Streets has occupied this spot on the setlist. It would be less repititious to have it open again.

I wanted to see it open since that would mean a break from the past 4 tours. Would be nice, in theory, to see a setlist not designed around Streets ending (or being close to ending) the main set.

Doesn't really worry me though. I am liking a lot the 2 setlists so far from the new tour.

*opinion warning*

Until U2 writes a song that works as well as Streets does live, it should have the whole setlist built around it. The band themselves admit it's the turning point in the show.

I think opening the encore with the long JT Streets would be so awesome. Everyone would think 'wtf?!111! U2 finished and didn't play Streets!!11!' and then the strings would introduce the encore :drool:
+

Back
Top Bottom