Where are the guitar solos?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BSBONO

The Fly
So far overall the tour has been a big success. However the most disappointing element of the tour has got to be the missing guitar solos....absent on Mysterious Ways, Bad, and WOWY to name a few. There are others I am sure. Add that to the best guitar parts of Crazy MIA and it is disappointing. What I don't get is why they are being left out? Both casual fans and hardcore would love to hear them. The songs are infinitly better with them in. Why not give the fans the best you have to offer?

So what are the theories or logical explanations as to why Edge's best work is being left out?

Bad has a guitar solo? I guess you might call it a solo, but it's really just Edge playing the normal two-note riff while Bono waits a bit to sing wide awake. And they do that now anyway.

WOWY's solo is overrated anyway. I'm glad they don't do that anymore. It sounded lame and unnecessary. (thats right, i said it!) :wink:

Even in that Classic Albums series about TJT, Edge mentions how the end of WOWY could have gone in to a "big solo thing" but that the ending is really simple and its one of his favorite guitar parts because of that. Totally agree.

WOWY's solo is overrated anyway. I'm glad they don't do that anymore. It sounded lame and unnecessary. (thats right, i said it!) :wink:

Even in that Classic Albums series about TJT, Edge mentions how the end of WOWY could have gone in to a "big solo thing" but that the ending is really simple and its one of his favorite guitar parts because of that. Totally agree.

no no no no no no no no no

no!

although i agree that the studio version never needed a solo.

Since when is Edge famous for guitar solos? :scratch:

And please no more discussion about Bullet, I think we're all happy they finally put the song to rest.

Btw, I enjoyed Mysterious Ways very much when I heard it at the shows. It didn't even occur to me that there's something missing.

I always loved Edge's playing better when it was at its simplest and melodic. However, with the amount of stick he gets from players about his "poor" technique, it is nice to see him rip out a proper solo once in a while to shut that lot up.

Had one live. ZooTV Washington was the best one ever IMO

YouTube - U2 - With or without you - Zoo Tv

:drool::drool::drool:

Never knew of such solo, I am in shock right now, and yes I definately agree, the solo's are missing on this tour and I would only hope that U2 would somehow come across this thread, or someone whom may work with them relay our thoughts to them. It would add to an already majestic performance and in turn transcend into a heavenly performance.

Edge is never going to play the WOWY solo again. Let's just be glad that Bono seems to remember that Shine Like Stars exists.

laziness? playing it safe? no other real expanation IMO.

they'd rather do snippets than solos, which is a shame.

I seem to remember Edge saying that, in hindsight, he thinks that the solo 'ruined' WOWY.

Can Edge even play them anymore? Seems like he's gone to the slide technique a lot more (which is odd considering the MW solo is all slide).

Out of all the members of the band, he has made probably the most tech mistakes. Definitely not on fire so far this tour.

I'm not trying to start anything at all, but just listening to some of the boots, he seems to be a bit sloppy right now. He even admitted it in Poland, yet it turned out to be one of the best shows of the tour.

It would be nice to get a rock out moment, and I'm glad UTEOTW made a return to the set list. Bullet if it's played like ZooTV or even Elevation would be alright, but not like it was played on Vertigo....though the solo did get better as the tour moved along.

My only gripe with the tour so far is my own personal preference though. I would like to see some heavier rockers come out. But U2 obviously had something else in mind when setting up the theme.

Can Edge even play them anymore? Seems like he's gone to the slide technique a lot more (which is odd considering the MW solo is all slide).

indeed. this album has too many slide solos i think. songs like SUC i was expecting an actual guitar solo, but instead a lame slide one. the magnificent one is OK, but i would've liked to hear him go up real high on the fretboard or something on the 2nd repeat, insead of doing the exact same thing twice. MOS is the best one of the slide solos and actually fits the song. I actually liked that one, if only it was a little longer.

UC is good, but it could've been better. and Breathe has the best solo on the last 3 albums. :rockon:

Out of all the members of the band, he has made probably the most tech mistakes. Definitely not on fire so far this tour.

I'm not trying to start anything at all, but just listening to some of the boots, he seems to be a bit sloppy right now. He even admitted it in Poland, yet it turned out to be one of the best shows of the tour.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time that Edge has ever been fully mobile on a tour (ie using a headset microphone so he can roam freely)? If so, could that be anything to do with making more mistakes - maybe being uncomfortable with wireless technology or something? I think we take Edge very much for granted as a studio perfectionist, but forget that he's human too. I have a JT bootleg from 1987 - Denver, I think - where he totally screws up the solo in Sunday Bloody Sunday. I'm sure there's plenty of others too.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first time that Edge has ever been fully mobile on a tour (ie using a headset microphone so he can roam freely)? If so, could that be anything to do with making more mistakes - maybe being uncomfortable with wireless technology or something? I think we take Edge very much for granted as a studio perfectionist, but forget that he's human too. I have a JT bootleg from 1987 - Denver, I think - where he totally screws up the solo in Sunday Bloody Sunday. I'm sure there's plenty of others too.

He seemed kind of Mobile and used headsets during the Vertigo Tour

I don't know, just seems since been able to follow a lot of concerts, this is the first time I've felt Edge hasn't been outstanding. Sometimes not always his fault, could be a guitar issue or whatever (like when amp blew up for Vertigo).

Adam has really been in good form since Pop. Larry seems to pick his moments. His drumming for MW is very, very lame. I won't judge though as it may be something with trying to keep him healthy. Maybe the old style of drumming was too much on his wrists/back.

I miss MW solo. But I guess that's just it... and it's sounding good anyway.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom