When I Look At The World

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hopefully Axver or someone can shed more light on this.

I believe it's only been played live in Kansas City during the Elevation Tour.
It's just a beautiful, underrated song. Get the bootleg.

I'd love to hear it live on 360, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Mark

I'd love to hear it live on 360, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

Mark

I think it did make a sort of debut, but might have been only a snippet during Bad, but not sure??

But it only replaced the then standard "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" as a linked snippet to "Bad". This only happened in Kansas City; a full band live version never was performed ...

I think it did make a sort of debut, but might have been only a snippet during Bad, but not sure??

If I remember right, I believe Edge has said he forgot how to play it.

Yup, these are what I heard as well.

I read in Wikipedia a while back, it's mentioned in "U2 by U2" that When I Look at the World was one of the songs that was recorded in a short time during the making of ATYCLB, and The Edge forgot how to play it. :eek:

I got a bootleg of Kansas City show and Bono started singing the song as a snippet during Bad, and even as a snippet it was awesome. Edge tried to come up with something else, and I thought it sounded great.

I could care less if the version they can come up with is different than the album's, I'm sure it will still be good...

We should all start a movement and bring signs to the shows with 'When I Look at the World' written on it kind of like people have done for Kite and 11 O'Clock Tick Tock in the past...I am sure there were some others as well.

Has U2 ever played a song that they didn't play on the album's original tour?

I know Axver will know.

Sorry, but we'll never see this gem live...

The First Time and Miss Sarajevo

Also, although it wasn't at a regular concert, honorable mention to The Wanderer and their cover of Night & Day...

When was 'The First Time' ever played in full?

Passengers never really had a tour so that doesn't count.

The Wanderer is a good example but special occasion.

I'm talking about actual album songs being played on later tours.

3rd leg vertigo tour for the first time, they played it quite a few times actually :)

They played the full version of The First Time during Vertigo Tour...

But it only replaced the then standard "Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses" as a linked snippet to "Bad". This only happened in Kansas City; a full band live version never was performed ...

I know it was an intro to Bad, but don't sell it short as a snippet. It was easily half of the song.:drool:

People, if you don't have this boot, you must get it or request the song on the "Music On The Internet" Page.

Mark

Correct, the only live appearance WILATW has made was that snippet during Bad in Kansas City. Yeah, it was pretty lengthy, but it was still just a snippet, entirely dependent on Bad's performance.

I'd love to see it live since it's a good song and my favourite from the standard edition of ATYCLB ... if they have to play anything from the album, it's what I'd like to hear. But I expect that Kansas City snippet will remain its solitary live outing.

Has U2 ever played a song that they didn't play on the album's original tour?

I know Axver will know.

The First Time debuted live in full on 20 September 2005 in Chicago. Previously, it had only appeared a few times as a brief snippet in some August 1993 performances of Bad. It was played 28 times over the course of the third, fourth, and fifth legs of Vertigo (I got it at the second Melbourne show).

And as mentioned by Pop Artist, there was also that performance of The Wanderer on TV ... I was genuinely surprised the band never threw it into a Vertigo encore, given they had it all rehearsed and everything.

The First Time and Miss Sarajevo

Miss Sarajevo actually was played on the first tour it could have been performed. They first played it on 12 September 1995 at the Pavarotti and Friends gig. Then it was done in Sarajevo on Popmart, 23 September 1997. Vertigo was just the first time it became a regular.

I will say that when I heard All That You Can't Leave Behind the first time, WILATW was one of the songs that I thought was MADE for being performed live. Kite was one of those songs, too. I remember being disappointed when they did not perform either of these songs when I saw them in ATL the first time on Elevation tour. HOWEVER, we did get Discotheque/SATS medley which was cool, Gone (I believe) as well as The Ground Beneath Her Feet AND Sweetest Thing, which are both kind of live rarities. It was an awesome show. Luckily, they did break Kite out later, and I did get to hear it two times again on that tour. But, WILATW was begging for a live debut, I have to say. It is an amazing song and would really attract even more fans if played live!

I hope they start playing that song during the tour. It would be amazing!

I LOVE that song!! The lyrics are great!!

When you look at the world
What is it that you see
People find all kinds of things
That bring them to their knees
I see an expression
So clear and so true
That changes the atmosphere
When you walk into the room........

For me, this song is a major standout on ATYCLB. It has that layered atmospheric sound and would sound totally at home on UF. A little bit like some of the NLOTH songs. So it was a song before its time.

I can see how it might be hard to play live. The guitar track is awfully 'bloated' and doesn't lend itself to being played on stage. Would be interesting to see and hear Edge and Dallas cook something up to make this song work on stage.

The First Time debuted live in full on 20 September 2005 in Chicago. Previously, it had only appeared a few times as a brief snippet in some August 1993 performances of Bad. It was played 28 times over the course of the third, fourth, and fifth legs of Vertigo (I got it at the second Melbourne show).

So then we still have hope that they'll play When I Look at the World in this tour... We really do have to start a movement to get people to request this song from the band...

So then we still have hope that they'll play When I Look at the World in this tour... We really do have to start a movement to get people to request this song from the band...

I will have a sign with the text: Please play When I Look At The World.

I will attend both of the concerts in Gothenburg, and after the first one I will go to U2's hotel and there I'm going to ask them if they can play it during the second show :sexywink:

Personally I think you can almost count it as a performance, I do. It's over two minutes if memory serves me right, and he sings two verses. And The Edge is playing Bad like he plays it during the normal snippets, like Ruby Tuesday or Sympathy...

Back
Top Bottom