What Covers Would You Love To Hear This Tour? (but know you won't get them)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kramwest1

has a
I have two songs I would love to hear U2 put their own touches on, one loud, one soft:

AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long
--It wouldn't have to be Bono singing, but this song would be a blast to hear them play.

Moon River
--I just heard a beautiful version of this by Petra Haden. Between Bono singing and Edge on the acoustic guitar, it would be great.

And you?

Mark

Wow, I don't think I'd want to hear U2 ever, ever do either of those. And I like both of those songs. :no:

I have two songs I would love to hear U2 put their own touches on, one loud, one soft:

AC/DC's You Shook Me All Night Long
--It wouldn't have to be Bono singing, but this song would be a blast to hear them play.

Moon River
--I just heard a beautiful version of this by Petra Haden. Between Bono singing and Edge on the acoustic guitar, it would be great.

And you?

Mark

WOW :crack:

Talk about two diverse, out of nowhere covers...

I could see Moon River before SMANL, I mean granted they did do the AC/DC snippet in Vertigo(Highway to Hell?) but U2 covering AC/DC, I think I would rather get a root canal.

Not that I hate AC/DC though...

Back on topic:

This is an interesting question.

I loved their abreviated version of Unchained Melody during Zoo TV.

As far as songs they've never done: 'Always on My Mind'

On ZooTV's fourth leg, Bono snippeted Moon River as MacPhisto.

Personally, I think U2 should stay away from covers as they routinely suck. There are only a couple of exceptions - Springhill Mining Disaster and Lovetown Watchtower. Also, I think they could pull off a good live version of Dancing Barefoot; they soundchecked it before a Melbourne Lovetown concert.

- rock this town by the stray cats
- perfect way by scritti politti (it could be used as a snippet in lemon :giggle:)
- take my breath away by berlin
- girls on film by duran duran

yeah, i didn't even try to pick songs they'd have a snowball's chance in hell of covering :lol:

my favorite band ever, that has 100's of great songs- i hope they never play a cover again. its would be such a disappointment to hear them taking up a spot with a cover song (like satellite of love on zootv- what a snoozefest). i liked their version of all along the watchtower, but i would rather just about any u2 song instead.

so there are no covers i want to hear u2 play (unless you count passengers). although gene genie was pretty cool, and a total surprise at MSG, but i would have still rather heard another u2 song.

Coldplay's "Lovers in Japan"

"Coldplay steal it from us,we're stealing it back"

-Bono

I've been listening to a lot of Eagles lately, so maybe something by them would be cool. I can picture Edge singing I Can't Tell You Why. Maybe something like Tequila Sunrise or Take It To The Limit... hard to say, hard to grasp what the theme of the tour will be.

Now that I think about it, Take It To The Limit would be a fantastic song to play beforehand, ala Wake Up.

Over the years they have mangled many Covers eg. All Along The Watchtower, Helter Skelter and last tour w/ Instant Karma.

That being said, I really like the snippets like Uncahined Melody, Help and the like. When Bono snippets he usually gets the melodies to blend well with the song they are actually playing. I can't remember the song but a great example was from Vertigo Tour and he snippeted Bullet w/ Butterfly Wings.

On ZooTV's fourth leg, Bono snippeted Moon River as MacPhisto.

Personally, I think U2 should stay away from covers as they routinely suck. There are only a couple of exceptions - Springhill Mining Disaster and Lovetown Watchtower. Also, I think they could pull off a good live version of Dancing Barefoot; they soundchecked it before a Melbourne Lovetown concert.

Oh that's awesome about Moon River. I'm downloading some as I type.
I guess I vaguely remember that. The "Many Rivers to Cross" snippet from Vertigo may have inspired this in me, too.

The Petra Haden version really got me thinking about U2 with it because the guitar is so great (and Edge-like) and Bono's voice would work with a subtle performance, not the croony-type that most people think of with the song.

Snippets are fine BTW folks. The key to my starting this thread is the...would YOU like...and...(KNOW YOU WON'T GET).
Screw everyone else, be selfish about what you want here.

Mark

The key to my starting this thread is the...would YOU like...and...(KNOW YOU WON'T GET).

All right, then. My selfish wish is that there are no covers.

However, I might actually get this wish on the tour, so I guess I still fail at the thread.

;)

they'd nail rio.

Probably, but I think they would nail Hungry like the wolf even more so! I would love to hear them do:

-Hungry like the wolf Duran Duran
-Friday I'm in Love The Cure
-I wanna be sedated The Ramones

All songs have U2 counterparts that at least sound somewhat similar. They could no doubt pull all of them off. I would be incredibly happy to see even one of these.

The key to my starting this thread is the...would YOU like...and...(KNOW YOU WON'T GET).

I'd stick with my Springhill Mining Disaster, Lovetown Watchtower, and Dancing Barefoot picks as I know U2 can do them and I'd enjoy hearing them. I wouldn't trust them to play even a half-decent cover of other songs I like that may suit their style, e.g. Crowded House's Recurring Dream.

I'd be happy for there to be no covers. That is because U2 tend to religiously stick to 2 hours or thereabouts for their shows. So a cover or two means less U2 songs. Covers are ok in addition to their own songs but with the way U2 incorporate covers into the setlist it is parasitic and that's bad. Taking out one of their songs and adding a cover is :doh::doh::doh:

None, unless they do little collaborations with local artists (like how they covered Love Will Tear Us Apart with Arcade Fire).

Even the little "shout out" snippets to the local artists are great.

Yeah, I do like those. I could do with fewer snippets overall, though.

Do we really need two lines from "She Loves You" at the end of a U2 song? Didn't he throw that in during one of the NLOTH promo appearances? It made no sense.

Daughter, Pearl Jam
Lovesong, The Cure
Wake Up, Arcade Fire
King of Pain, The Police
Take Me To The River, Talking Heads (cover of a cover)
Mother, Pink Floyd

And just for kicks...
Edge of Seventeen, Stevie Nicks
Kids, MGMT
Head Like A Hole, Nine Inch Nails (for when they finally decide to turn to industrial rock)

Back
Top Bottom