Wave of Sorrow on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey788

Refugee
Do you guys think Wave of Sorrow will make some appearances on U2's next tour? There's a good chance since they've already played it live once. It would be a good song to show off Bono's singing and change up the set a little.

What I think would sound incredible is a Wave of Sorrow/Streets segue. I can picture Bono singing the coda at the end over the synth intro of Streets. So, good idea? Or the ramblings of a bored U2 fan? :wink:

Joey788 said:
Do you guys think Wave of Sorrow will make some appearances on U2's next tour? There's a good chance since they've already played it live once. It would be a good song to show off Bono's singing and change up the set a little.

Hopefully, YES! This song should be played also to the rest of the world. I want to listen to tunes like this, who are rather fresh. Same goes to "Window In The Skies".

"Wave Of Sorrow" is an oustanding tune, with outstanding lyrics and a haunting melody. Could be the new piano driven tune with a message, aka "Miss Sarajewo" or "Running ..." . I'll keep my fingers crossed, because the old stuff has been reoeated too many times ...

For that matter, would you call a church performace with half the band a proper gig either, in that case? I'd love to hear WoS live though...

digitize said:
I doubt it. I don't see where it would fit on the setlist.

Because we totally have the faintest clue what the setlist will look like.

Bono seems enthusiastic about the song, so if he retains that enthusiasm, I wouldn't be shocked if it turned up somewhere in the set, especially if they do indoor shows.

But then I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't played either.

Bono seems to love the song a lot, but I think it really depends if it fits into their set. I can totally see a piano version like they did at the Union Chapel gig. Personally, I'd like to hear it live again.

Anything is possible, but I think Bono's enthusiasm for the song will have died by the time the tour comes around. At the end of the day, it's still a 20 year old b-side.

Do you need a certain amount of posts here to get a U2 Time Machine? I'd love one. I could tease PLEBA with pictures of the band in their 80s and spark debates over who has TRULY aged the most gracefully (I'll give you a hint - it's NOT Larry :ohmy: )

please no, talk about a boring momentum killer. they way too many good songs to be playing this live. i don't really care if i ever hear or see this live, its just not that good.

Well, I hope not. It's a nice song but I don't feel like it's exciting enough for the exception of the ending. I would actually prefer something like Electrical Storm, The Hands That Built America or Window In The Skies over it but I wouldn´t mind if they played it a few times for the people who like it.

intedomine said:
Holy Joe was played in a K-Mart store, not really a prpoper live gig.

Omg i never knew this! (Just watched a youtube vid), so amazing which makes me mad at why they never quite finished the album in time and didn't rehearse much (leaving out SATS (full band) & DYFL from setlists)...

Grrrrr Popmart.... sooo soo soo almost good. It could of been as big as ZooTv....

-- Listening to it again... agh it keeps getting better!!! Just imagine what popmart could of been... :drool: :drool:

Last edited:
I love this song, recorded and at Union Chapel, it is incredible. Really shows off Bono's continueous improvement in his voice and I would say that it will at least make some occasional appearances, similiar to the First Time on the Vertigo Tour. Also, as someone else said, it could very likely turn up as a snippet as well, just like Hands that built America did in Bullet. Possibilities are endless. I would certainly not count on it every night, but there will likely be a few full performances of this song.

U2387 said:
I love this song, recorded and at Union Chapel, it is incredible. Really shows off Bono's continueous improvement in his voice and I would say that it will at least make some occasional appearances, similiar to the First Time on the Vertigo Tour. Also, as someone else said, it could very likely turn up as a snippet as well, just like Hands that built America did in Bullet. Possibilities are endless. I would certainly not count on it every night, but there will likely be a few full performances of this song.

hmm, good point, i agree, I think it would work well like the First Time on Vertigo Tour....in every way, snippets, frequency, mood, transition, etc. :up:

I actually liked the K Mart performance of Holy Joe, in spite of all the reverb, or "drugs" as Bono insisted on calling it.

Again: It would be a great replacement for a more silent, piano driven tune. In other words: The 'new' Running To Stand Still or Miss Sarajewo. Both tunes could be put to rest for the next tour.
October and Wave Of Sorrow would shine in this switching setlist spot ...

i would like to hear a snippet of WOS after BTBS or UTEOTW and before RTSS / BAD or AIWIY. it could work as an amazing transition from earthshaking sounds into the more quiet part of the show.

I'd much rather hear a classic resurrected than a B-Side that didn't make the cut the first time around. :|

Axver said:

Bono seems enthusiastic about the song, so if he retains that enthusiasm, I wouldn't be shocked if it turned up somewhere in the set, especially if they do indoor shows.

Bono has always referred to himself as a salesman for the new songs, and by the time they get around to touring, I'm willing to bet there will be 10/11 songs he'll feel more excited about selling.

That being said, the only way I see them doing it is a B-stage Edge/Bono duet...something a la "Ground Beneath Her Feet."

Wow. I really haven't been here much recently apparently.

What the fuck is Wave of Sorrow?

Back
Top Bottom