Wave of Sorrow on the next tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
Wow. I really haven't been here much recently apparently.

What the fuck is Wave of Sorrow?

its a really, really mediocre b-side from the joshua tree. not even good enough to be released as a b-side on one of the many joshua tree singles (back when there were singles). part of the get rid of all the crap from the joshua tree sessions, for the anniversary resissue of the album.

i think maybe you call it a c-side.

"Wave Of Sorrow" on the next tour: Hopefully yes, yes, yes! It is a beautiful tune with a beautiful melody and poetic lyrics. A much too long hidden gem. And when the cheesburger stands, the beer drinking crows, the 'funnily' shouting idiots might make it possible, to just listen and shut up for these few minutes, U2 could deliver something like this – it would be a dream come true:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo-w7B4tNB4

Since it looks like we're getting a stadium tour, I think the likelihood of Wave Of Sorrow has decreased. I don't think very highly of the song; it would be kind of neat for it to show up sparingly in rotation, but it's not something I'd like to see as a setlist regular. If they're going to do one of the unreleased tracks from the JT bonus disc, I'd take Rise Up.

In any case, non-album songs that have debuted live outside of a proper tour have a pretty patchy record of appearing on subsequent tours. Just some examples: Womanfish made its TV Gaga appearance in January 1986 and then disappeared forever; Holy Joe got just the one performance, at Pop's announcement; NASOTR showed up in late 1998 and that was it; Sweetest Thing and TGBHF both debuted in 2000 and did actually make it into Elevation's setlist; and although it had already debuted live back in 1989, She's A Mystery To Me made a couple of outings in 2004 and then only made the Vertigo Tour in snippet form. With the tour starting over 1.5 years after Islington Chapel and with at least the first leg guaranteed to be stadiums, I'm expecting Wave Of Sorrow to follow the path of Womanfish and Holy Joe.

Since it looks like we're getting a stadium tour, I think the likelihood of Wave Of Sorrow has decreased. I don't think very highly of the song; it would be kind of neat for it to show up sparingly in rotation, but it's not something I'd like to see as a setlist regular. If they're going to do one of the unreleased tracks from the JT bonus disc, I'd take Rise Up.

In any case, non-album songs that have debuted live outside of a proper tour have a pretty patchy record of appearing on subsequent tours. Just some examples: Womanfish made its TV Gaga appearance in January 1986 and then disappeared forever; Holy Joe got just the one performance, at Pop's announcement; NASOTR showed up in late 1998 and that was it; Sweetest Thing and TGBHF both debuted in 2000 and did actually make it into Elevation's setlist; and although it had already debuted live back in 1989, She's A Mystery To Me made a couple of outings in 2004 and then only made the Vertigo Tour in snippet form. With the tour starting over 1.5 years after Islington Chapel and with at least the first leg guaranteed to be stadiums, I'm expecting Wave Of Sorrow to follow the path of Womanfish and Holy Joe.

Hopefully you are wrong – because I really like to listen to this tune. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom