Unreleased New Songs on Tour - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 03-08-2009, 02:57 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 07:57 PM
Unreleased New Songs on Tour

So, with all the talk of Songs of Ascent and "Every Breaking Wave", what are the odds we get to hear a song or two on tour before the next album is out.

If the band ends up releasing SOA, in November- would they play a couple of the new songs on tour in the US this fall?

I remember that they have played a couple of war songs before they came out, but I don't know of any other instances of playing songs before they were released (not including promotional appearences for the album- but actual u2 concert). Maybe this is a real possibility this time around.

I would think If they do release the album in November (maybe it will be in Spring 2010 and this will be moot), and Every Breaking Wave is the first single that it would make sense to play it at Sept/ Oct shows.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
MMP
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:57 PM
Hmmm... I doubt they would do that unless the songs are 99% finished already.

Old 03-08-2009, 03:31 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:57 AM
U2 are going to have a hard enough time figuring out a setlist with the huge back catalog they have plus the addition of the NLOTH songs. So I doubt they're going to put any new songs in the show until they are released... hopefully ASAP!
Old 03-08-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
The Fly

Besides the Joshua Tree tour where it became obvisous that shows were being recorded (When Rattle and Hum came out, I traded for the shows listed in the liner notes)

New songs are doubtful. Miss Sarajevo took forever to get into setlists...They did not even play Boots at the Inauguration.

psyched about the 30 dollar tixs, That is what I paid on Zoo TV...

Mike R
Old 03-08-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by uppitycrip View Post
They did not even play Boots at the Inauguration.
There's a good reason for that, I think.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

They've really never been a band to try out songs on the tour that they haven't released. It's happened very, very rarely, so I have no expectation of that happening on the first two legs of this tour.

My assumption is that the new album comes out between the second leg and third leg, so then you'll get the new material.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:27 AM
I wish. Near impossible though.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:38 AM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:57 AM
yeah, would be great if they road-tested songs but they always seem to opt for greatest hits/current album songs/few oldies every set so the oppurtunity to have new songs plastered online in possibly unfinished live form is probably one they'll pass sadly
Old 03-09-2009, 07:12 AM   #9
Refugee

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphelmet View Post
what are the odds we get to hear a song or two on tour before the next album is out.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
There's a good reason for that, I think.
LOL. I don't think "Boots" would have gone over too well at that show. Unless, that old man who was sitting on Letterman during Beautiful Day was near the front.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
War Child

Local Time: 05:57 PM
On the final leg of Vertigo didnt they play Window In The Skies a couple weeks before U218 was released?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
Vocal parasite

I doubt unreleased songs are going to happen, but it's not totally unlikely. Here are all the instances that have happened since the release of Boy:

Boy Tour: I Fall Down and Fire from October both were played, as well as the unreleased Father Is An Elephant and Carry Me Home, and the mini-song The Cry (which forms Is That All?'s musical basis).
October Tour: A Celebration didn't come out until March 1982; U2 were playing it in February.
War Tour: On the Pre-War leg in December 1982, U2 played NYD, SBS, and Surrender before even the lead single was out in January 1983.
JT Tour: When Love Comes To Town was done once, as we've all seen on RAH. Lucille also cropped up now and then, including in the Dalton Brothers sets.
Lovetown: A couple of unreleased songs debuted on Lovetown that U2 have continued to play subsequently. Slow Dancing debuted on 1 December 1989. Before the first studio version was released in late November 1993, it managed to reappear live once in 1990, a few times in 1992, and once more in May 1993. Then She's A Mystery To Me debuted live on 26 December 1989 and it has been played live a few more times over the years and tours; U2's studio version has never been released but the latest full live version, from the Brooklyn Bridge gig in November 2004, was a HTDAAB b-side.
Elevation Tour: An unreleased song called We Love You was played on 6 August 2001 in Antwerp.

I think that's it. There are also a good number of unreleased songs floating around from soundchecks, e.g. My Time Hasn't Come and Move Out from the soundcheck on 25 April 1987.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #13
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmart Shopper View Post
On the final leg of Vertigo didnt they play Window In The Skies a couple weeks before U218 was released?
No. It debuted live on 29 November 2006, after U2:18 was released. We were hoping for it in Melbourne and Auckland (the first Melbourne gig was on the day of U2:18's release in Australia), but it didn't happen.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 03-16-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
We were hoping for it .
Well, mainly because we hadn't fully realised how terrible it is, yes.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #15
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gareth brown View Post
the oppurtunity to have new songs plastered online in possibly unfinished live form is probably one they'll pass sadly
while i don't really think its that likely, the fact that they are talking about this next album likes its already done, or really, really close makes its seems at least somewhat plausible.

"every breaking wave" was done, and ready for NLOTH, and they decided to hold it back. If they don't decide to scrap it or rework it, maybe it could be played. Its not a like its a song they just wrote or are still working on (as far as we know). It's not the same as playing songs that they may or may not release or road testing songs they are unsure about.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #16
has a

Quote:
Originally Posted by major_panic View Post
BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

I was just going to say that.

WITS was the LAST song I was hoping for in Auckland.

Mark
Old 03-16-2009, 01:47 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by major_panic View Post

Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #18
ONE
love, blood, life

Edge said they want to play Mercy live...

Old 03-17-2009, 01:40 AM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 05:57 PM
Didn't some of the Zooropa tracks get played live before it was released?
Old 03-17-2009, 01:51 AM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 01:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by erik_1099 View Post
Didn't some of the Zooropa tracks get played live before it was released?
No, the album "Zooropa" was released in Europe, exactly when the band had their double concert night in Roma's Stadio Flaminio, on July 6th and 7th. On that second night, when the album was fresh in the shops, U2 played "Numb" live for the first time. In a stunning version, by the way, with Bono still singing the "fat lady voice" live on stage. On the other hand, The Edge still had to get used to the main vocals ... Two nights later, U2 rocked Southern Italy in an awesome concert in Napoli's San Paolo – in front of a hot crowd. We got "Numb" again, this time without the B-man on stage, but also a very long snippet of "Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car" including verse and the chorus line as a new center piece of "When Love Comes To Town" on the B-stage. And MacPhisto even sung the "Lemon" line later on during his encore ...