unkown caller gone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sad to see it go. Hopefully not forever.

However, has there been a general consensus that UC has been a little flat on tour so far?

Perhaps people's expectations were too great. It does sound very epic and grand on the album though.

:no: There's been a consensus that the audience has been a little 'flat', the performances have been excellent.

R.I.P. Unknown Caller, we barely knew ye.

It was designed to be a great stadium song, but unfortunately, most of the people in the stadium seem fairly unfamiliar with it, so it doesn't work as well as it could.

If U2 really drops Unkown Caller, it'd be a huge shame IMO. At Chicago 1 the song was amazing and it got a huge reaction from where I was at...one of the highlights of the show!

The lack of YBR doesn't bother me, but the thought that UC will never be played again during this leg does. :sad:

It was designed to be a great stadium song, but unfortunately, most of the people in the stadium seem fairly unfamiliar with it, so it doesn't work as well as it could.

Those people should have bought the CD and learned the lyrics. :shame:

:no: There's been a consensus that the audience has been a little 'flat', the performances have been excellent.

R.I.P. Unknown Caller, we barely knew ye.

I was at Cardiff UK and it certainly wasnt flat it was rockin!!!! couldnt see what was going on above me though as i was at the front!!!

Beyond Edge's remarkable guitar solo UC is a pretty shite song. The sing-along encouraging visuals were embarrasing live, to be honest.

Beyond Edge's remarkable guitar solo UC is a pretty shite song. The sing-along encouraging visuals were embarrasing live, to be honest.
:|
I still think Unknown Caller is a brilliant song. It's unlike anything the band has ever done before. The chanting really worked live (well I thought it did but it looks like the band didn't).

Sad to see it go. Hopefully not forever.

However, has there been a general consensus that UC has been a little flat on tour so far?

Perhaps people's expectations were too great. It does sound very epic and grand on the album though.

not in Barcelona, Dublin, London, Sheffield & Cardiff- the audience understood what they were supposed to do- ie sing along with the words on the screen and the woah ah oh bits with Bono- song went down really well in Europe- just listen to the Sheffield broadcast bootleg

It seems to have fallen flat in America though- and now they won't play it at all- a shame for all those who haven't seen it, but if the audience doesn't seem interested they presumably will play something better known instead

i kinda agree. the absence not over one show, but over four is telling. i don't like this, it's one of the best songs on no line, and it's even better live. for them to drop it, yet keep playing fucking shit like elevation and stuck in a moment disgusts me.

bring that shit back u2, it's one of your best songs in 12 years.

Can not agree more. What the fuc# is going on. Had they dropped UC on the show I was at I would have demanded my money back. Best song since The Fly and its gone from the setlist and there still playing Stuck, Elevation etc. I also notice that NLOTH didn't get played at one of the shows either???????:doh:

not in Barcelona, Dublin, London, Sheffield & Cardiff- the audience understood what they were supposed to do- ie sing along with the words on the screen and the woah ah oh bits with Bono- song went down really well in Europe- just listen to the Sheffield broadcast bootleg

It seems to have fallen flat in America though- and now they won't play it at all- a shame for all those who haven't seen it, but if the audience doesn't seem interested they presumably will play something better known instead

Hehehe oh dear the yanks again. Me thinks the next albums gonna be really shite again. Get ready for more coke riffs and Beautiful Days coming out of every sound as U2 once again bow to the might of the American dollar!

Hehehe oh dear the yanks again. Me thinks the next albums gonna be really shite again. Get ready for more coke riffs and Beautiful Days coming out of every sound as U2 once again bow to the might of the American dollar!

office_space_kit_mat.jpg

Unfortunately I have to add the "anti" opinions of this song.

I understand what the band were attempting with the recording and the live versions, however, you can't force a song to be a great sing-a-long live. The audience decides which songs they want to sing to.

Personally, I just find the lyrics to Unknown Caller to be trite and uninspiring.

Trite is a horrible descriptor for UC's lyrics. Convoluted and overwrought are much better.

Still a listenable song though, and the fact that they're replacing something fresh and (potentially) exciting with ATYCLB tracks is ridiculous.

I'm starting to loose hope that they are not going to play it @ the Rose Bowl on the 25th. I've been looking forward to hearing it played live since I heard the beach clips. I knew it would be great live and from what I've heard on the European shows (bootlegs etc.), it sure did. Here is to me hoping they play it that night... :beer: :sad:

yeah, i pretty much hope they DONT record at the rose bowl for a dvd now (if the rumors are true), since unknown caller and (especially) your blue room more than likely won't be played.

Doesn't look like UC will come back for this leg of the tour. Actually, since there are only single night gigs now, there won't be any changes to the setlist either. I don't even follow setlists any more, but it's clear to me that UC is gone. Maybe they'll resurrect if for 2010, maybe in a different version, it was going down pretty well at the shows I've been to and was a real highlight.

Back
Top Bottom