unkown caller gone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
--AB/Zoo TV was probably one the Top 10 biggest pop culture events of its time. Sure you can negative reactions to anything. AB will go down as one the best alt records of all time. NLOTH isn't even in the conversation. Some negative reactions--sure. Mixed...don't think so.

POP, my favorite album, suffered from something else all together. Bad marketing by way of Discotheque and its accompanying video. And an ambiguity as to what they were going for--people still refer to it as a "dance" record (b/c of Discotheque). It's not--it is also a challenging record that really explores new territory. NLOTH is a half baked more of the same.
91 was a completely different time than 09 in almost every aspect so to pretend otherwise is silly. The material was not embraced by all, in fact it was pretty much the beginning of die hards vs casual fans, just that the "casual" fans were the AB fans at the time.

Pop suffered from a lot of things but to pretend that it got better received or would have than NLOTH is just wrong. NLOTH is mixed, go by facts not your opinion.
Bold is not obvious--it is an approach. An approach that seems better suited to a stadium. Oh, and yes, I would consider not going because of Bad.
While 90's U2 is my wheelhouse, Bad is a religious experience live. I cannot understand why they have dumped it--On Vertigo they closed one show (forget which) at Staples with Bad/40. UNREAL. With this record, U2 just seems out of touch to me--especially thinking this record explores new territory and it does not. And even the positive elements of the record are half baked. I just fear they are turning into the Stones--when they should be Radiohead.

It's out of touch to you, fine, but it's not with many. Many of us can actually see where they went into new territory.

And, no they shouldn't be Radiohead was once exciting now they are self indulgent. U2 should be U2 and no one else. You're stuck.

How about they just stay U2? They second-guess themselves, and if anything overcook (if we're going with cooking metaphors) but there's still a lot of creative vitality and drive to them.

I agree--They have tended to overcook in the past. This album does not feel like it. Seems like they took 4.5 years off from writing and then went into the studio and rushed an album out. While I am huge Danny/Brian fan, I just think the co-writing credits indicate a dearth of ideas--I pray I am wrong. I mean, what is Fez? Echoey bleeps and bloops are not breaking new ground, they are audio effects. I notice they begin almost every song with effect trickery that has nothing to do with the song. It's a smoke and mirrors attempt to sound "new" when the core of the songs are just not there. I do love BB.

I know there are tons on the board who LOVE this record, but I cannot imagine it not being recognized as the bottom of the barrel 10 years from now.

people get hung up on the $250 tickets for this tour but I'm pretty sure on average Vertigo's ticket prices were more expensive than 360...

We need a Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills nerd to sort this out :wink:

Sorry to make 3 posts in a row, but I wonder about this? I just checked an old thread, each leg of the Vertigo tour had an average ticket price of between $67 (South America), and $97 (North American legs), Europe was $79, and Australasia was $88.

Thus far the average ticket price on 360 has been $104.18

I mean, what is Fez? Echoey bleeps and bloops are not breaking new ground, they are audio effects. I notice they begin almost every song with effect trickery that has nothing to do with the song. It's a smoke and mirrors attempt to sound "new" when the core of the songs are just not there.

You just described how many feel about Pop.

Song examples from Pop? Wake Up Dead Man has some effects, but they really work and meld with the song--like they do on COL.

The bleeps and bloops I am talking about have nothing to do with the songs on NLOTH. The synth on Mag, the stutter on Crazy, the BS echo on Fez devaluing the line "let me in the sound" by using it twice. The sonic touches on pop are part of the song--The effects on NLOTH seem in addition to the song, and as a result extraneous.

I do think if they insist on giving the audience a sleeping pill, they should play UC instead of YBR--Even though I like YBR better. I like both songs a lot--LOVE YBR, but in a stadium setting, no.

Well, I don't know about all that.

but let me just say for the record that I'm sad to see UC apparently gone from the set list. Glad they had it both nights in Chicago.

Song examples from Pop? Wake Up Dead Man has some effects, but they really work and meld with the song--like they do on COL.
Really, that's the only song that came to mind? Even U2 admitted this at the time it's pretty much why songs were dropped almost immediately or changed pretty drastically live, they talk about it in U2 by U2. Only one song kept it's original intent.

And I like Pop, but your hardline approach is odd because everything you say about NLOTH is pretty much a criticism used by fans and even the band itself to describe Pop.
The bleeps and bloops I am talking about have nothing to do with the songs on NLOTH. The synth on Mag, the stutter on Crazy, the BS echo on Fez devaluing the line "let me in the sound" by using it twice. The sonic touches on pop are part of the song--The effects on NLOTH seem in addition to the song, and as a result extraneous.
The snyth on Mag :drool: How can you not get the "stutter" or the echo? :huh:

I really have to wonder if you have the same copy as I do.

You come off completely oblivious to how ironic your posts read.

Well, I don't know about all that.

but let me just say for the record that I'm sad to see UC apparently gone from the set list. Glad they had it both nights in Chicago.

:up: I'm sad at the prospect too, but I am thrilled that I got to sing my heart out to it both nights at Gillette -- even if I was the only one in my section doing it on night 1. :angry:

No just, no :no: That would be terrible. One Radiohead is too many.

YEAH! What we certainly do not need in the world of music is innovation, 60+ different songs played during a tour, captivating songs with a little bit more fantasy than the normal A,E,C chords BS.

God I hate those guys, they should be dead and the world would be a much better place.

:down:

^Well, they're certainly innovative, but I really really can't stand their music. Especially the leadsinger's voice:| To each its own I guess.

YEAH! What we certainly do not need in the world of music is innovation, 60+ different songs played during a tour, captivating songs with a little bit more fantasy than the normal A,E,C chords BS.

God I hate those guys, they should be dead and the world would be a much better place.

I think wishing them dead is a little harsh, but being prevented from making "music" is a definite must :p

^Well, they're certainly innovative, but I really really can't stand their music. Especially the leadsinger's voice:| To each its own I guess.

I wouldn't go so far as saying I can't stand their music, but I agree on Thom's voice. I really don't see what the big deal is with Radiohead, their songs don't impress me at all. I just really don't like whiney singers like Yorke and Martin.

Radiohead as much as any band have been mining the same well for a while now. As much as In Rainbows was a good album it was essentially Radiohead by the numbers (none of the songs would have particularly stood out on Ok Computer, in the same way an Idioteque or National Anthem would have), Hail to the Thief was similar in it's lack of 'invention'.

And there is nothing inherently special about playing 60+ songs on a tour, unless as a concert goer you go to three or more shows.

And without getting into a Radiohead debate, most of their biggest tracks have had a pretty basic and generic chord base (High and Dry*, Fake Plastic Trees, No Surprises etc) with some good production and arrangement to disguise that. High and Dry is essentally Stay.

Radiohead as much as any band have been mining the same well for a while now. As much as In Rainbows was a good album it was essentially Radiohead by the numbers (none of the songs would have particularly stood out on Ok Computer, in the same way an Idioteque or National Anthem would have), Hail to the Thief was similar in it's lack of 'invention'.

And there is nothing inherently special about playing 60+ songs on a tour, unless as a concert goer you go to three or more shows.

And without getting into a Radiohead debate, most of their biggest tracks have had a pretty basic and generic chord base (High and Dry*, Fake Plastic Trees, No Surprises etc) with some good production and arrangement to disguise that. High and Dry is essentally Stay.

Was just trying to make a point that we should be happy that there are still bands like radiohead around instead of the most of the bullshit that is comming out, but I guess you are right. They suck and so does post 2001 U2 IMO. Just like Radiohead I am glad they have been around for so long (longer) and made so much great music that one still can enjoy :up:

i love Radiohead, but Thom York's voice is god awful live.

i love Radiohead, but Thom York's voice is god awful live.

this we can agee on. well not totally, because he stopped singing after 1997. Before that he finished the verses live and did some wonderdull work. Nowadays he mumbles and squeels like a pig sometimes for no apparent reason.

I guess the answer is yes.

oh thank goodness. i was starting to wonder if i was really human or not.

by the way folks, great job on this thread. Unknown Caller disappearing from the setlist is becoming a Radiohead vs. U2 thread. :up:

oh thank goodness. i was starting to wonder if i was really human or not.

by the way folks, great job on this thread. Unknown Caller disappearing from the setlist is becoming a Radiohead vs. U2 thread. :up:

IS UC gone?! WTF are U2 doing?
Man, have they become a midlifecrisis suckfest incarnated or what?

Back
Top Bottom