unkown caller gone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The highlight of Passengers was played last tour.

In my opinion...:)

I agree. I don't think anything else on there can stand up on its own live. JMHO though.

Wow, maybe not live, but I don't know if I've come across someone who didn't see it as a highlight of Passengers.

I loved the song on the album, but live, with the canned falsetto and no Adam doing the talking, there was no point in doing it at all, other than to see Bono wandering the stage pointing at and pretending to talk to the astronaut who couldn't hear him? For me, it sucked all the life out of the room.

The crowd headed for the restroom/concessions isnt opinion, every show I have seen on 360 that YBR was done this has happened and is not an opinion.

Mass exodus to the restrooms for Unknown Caller too. My friend left then, I chose to go during NYD and almost got killed with the onslaught of people running back to their seats after leaving during UC. If we're going to judge a song's live-worthiness on witnessed anecdotes, the bathroom was packed during UC and empty during NYD. Maybe that's why they dropped UC. :lol:

I read the Rolling Stone article yesterday and am mystified by Bono's comment that people were looking at him wide-eyed during the first performance of YBR. I am tended to say "Bono, honey, that look was more like "WTF?"" Even "diehard" fans near me had no freaking clue what it was or what he was doing. First it was one of the deepest cuts they could have picked and second it was performed horribly anyway so that it was hardly recognizable. I had to clue them in... Bono even admitted it has the potential to completely deflate that part of the show, I'm surprised they haven't admitted that that is exactly what it does. And they dropped Breathe for that???

This setlist is horrible. Anyone see the final tally for Atlanta, only 22 songs & of course no Unknown Caller. Did the band give up promoting the Album, obiviously with just about 2 weeks of the tour left. I have not seen the Band in 10 yrs & now I get to hear "Sundy Blood Sunday" for the 1,000,000 time. I have to say that I am not at least at all impressed by this tour.

This setlist is horrible. Anyone see the final tally for Atlanta, only 22 songs & of course no Unknown Caller. Did the band give up promoting the Album, obiviously with just about 2 weeks of the tour left. I have not seen the Band in 10 yrs & now I get to hear "Sundy Blood Sunday" for the 1,000,000 time. I have to say that I am not at least at all impressed by this tour.

:| Yeah, Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, Your Blue Room, MLK... horrible setlist indeed!

Yeah, Unforgettable Fire, Ultraviolet, Your Blue Room, MLK... horrible setlist indeed!.....Give me a break.."Your Blue Room" is a Passengers song not a U2 song, in fact it's a Brian Eno song..ok. UF, Ultraviolet is cool, MLK can go, but where the hell is the stuff from the new album that you all raved about when the album was released??? How about dropping MLK, and throwing in White As snow, or cedars of Lebanon????

We knew beforehand that WAS and Cedars would not be played. The only songs I really feel should be played are SUC and Fez-BB. But I'm fine with what they play now, especially Crazy Tonight.

That Passengers part, so what? It's not a Brian Eno song, but a U2&Brian song. See the U2 part in there? Either way it's a rarity and a bside on a U2 best off, so it doesn't matter. Fact is they play an obscure song to make the fans happy.

Setlist in Atlanta was ok, glad to see them shifting the opening songs around and playing UTEOTW again. Six songs from NLOTH are pretty good, Edge said beforehand that they'd play "half the album", and since we've got 7 songs from the album for most of the tour, that's even more than half, so I think it's a good balance of songs.

And yes, I guess people tend to underappreciate the songs U2 played or brought back for this tour. Personally, I'd never have thought to ever hear Electrical Storm live, or a full version of In A Little While, or that they'd ever play Your Blue Room, or bring UF back after all these years. I think the problem is we get used to the set and say it's bad, but it isn't. It's actually a very good set, compared to many other shows. And I'm sure people who are there at the show and only see one U2 concert this tour are more than pleased.

I don't want to get into a huge setlist argument, but it does seem that the set is getting safer rather than braver recently.... Unknown Caller was NOT a toilet break song in Europe, just wasn't... But more to the point, so what if it was. It's beautiful.

And I'm sorry DubbalinGirl, but you cannot be a diehard and not have heard of YBR.
If you don't know it, you aint diehard.:reject:

I need to get something of my chest, so they say :)

What started out as a great beginning of the tour with the return of UV, UF, MLK and the debut of Electrical storm and later on YBR now is starting to fall flat unfortunately. The reasons are simple, the songs that made their debut seem to vanish of the earth once they are played 3-6 times. Drowning man was a HUGE surprise but was dropped before it had every right to shine, Electrical storm never made it back and I am afraid that YBR which isnt working for the "demanding"american so/so fan will have a short lifespan on this tour the way things look right now. I was just looking at the setlist of the Vertigotour and noticed the difference in songmaterial compared to now purely based on numbers. U2 have only played 37 different songs up till now which is actually LESS than what they played during the Zootv days (WITHOUT counting the Zooropa songs). This is what you call a "playing it safe problem". People say, "what about UF, YBR, UV?
You are right but look at the Vertigotour:
Elec. co, zoostation, RTSS, who's gonna ride, the first time, the ocean, gloria, a cat dubh, miss sarajevo, 40, ooc (although also played at the elevation tour). Not only much more rarities. The openers changed on regular basis too. THAT is surprising your audience and giving everyone what they want. The diehards, as well as the more casual fan.

I do not know what the guys are thinking anymore and instead of blaming myself of becomming less hardcore, changing interest etc etc I think it is safe to say that there is something missing. The album was better than the previous one yet they are not convinced enough to play more of it live, hell, they even dropped one of the best songs live of the album while 10 songs (including fast cars) were played from Bomb. They never changed the encore which is also a bad thing compard to the last 2 tours. Even popmart had more variety in the encore. POPMART.

They have TONS of fantastic material to pull of but instead you get 5 songs of ATYCLB in one night. Fantastic stage which DEMANDS songs like the fly, electrical storm, Hold me etc. yet a mediocre development in regards to the setlist. A greatest hits tour supporting a pretty good album is not something i am used to from a band I have loved for so long.:down:

zwervers2 said:
I need to get something of my chest, so they say
smily.gif

What started out as a great beginning of the tour with the return of UV, UF, MLK and the debut of Electrical storm and later on YBR now is starting to fall flat unfortunately. The reasons are simple, the songs that made their debut seem to vanish of the earth once they are played 3-6 times. Drowning man was a HUGE surprise but was dropped before it had every right to shine, Electrical storm never made it back and I am afraid that YBR which isnt working for the "demanding"american so/so fan will have a short lifespan on this tour the way things look right now. I was just looking at the setlist of the Vertigotour and noticed the difference in songmaterial compared to now purely based on numbers. U2 have only played 37 different songs up till now which is actually LESS than what they played during the Zootv days (WITHOUT counting the Zooropa songs). This is what you call a "playing it safe problem". People say, "what about UF, YBR, UV?
Elec. co, zoostation, RTSS, who's gonna ride, the first time, the ocean, gloria, a cat dubh, miss sarajevo, 40, ooc (although also played at the elevation tour). Not only much more rarities. The openers changed on regular basis too. THAT is surprising your audience and giving everyone what they want. The diehards, as well as the more casual fan.

I do not know what the guys are thinking anymore and instead of blaming myself of becomming less hardcore, changing interest etc etc I think it is safe to say that there is something missing. The album was better than the previous one yet they are not convinced enough to play more of it live, hell, they even dropped one of the best songs live of the album while 10 songs (including fast cars) were played from Bomb. They never changed the encore which is also a bad thing compard to the last 2 tours. Even popmart had more variety in the encore. POPMART.

They have TONS of fantastic material to pull of but instead you get 5 songs of ATYCLB in one night. Fantastic stage which DEMANDS songs like the fly, electrical storm, Hold me etc. yet a mediocre development in regards to the setlist. A greatest hits tour supporting a pretty good album is not something i am used to from a band I have loved for so long.:down:

I still blame Live Nation.

I need to get something of my chest, so they say :)

This is the problem.

On the one hand, the one 360 show I did see was without question the best U2 show I've ever seen. But the set list is static. They seem to think that changing the set order is mixing things up?

I can only hope that they are spending the time they would normally spend working up different songs writing SOA, but geez... how much rope are we going to give them because they promise another album? No B-sides, no setlist variation, ATYCLB promoted as much as the new album.... gah!

What I miss about the ZOO TV tour was that they were brave enough to believe in their new material that they'd play 10 songs and a Lou Reed cover everynight just so they wouldn't have to play their "80's" material. I wish they'd be confident enough in playing more songs from No Line as well as Your Blue Room and other rareties more often.

I thought U2 were pretty brave to play 4 new songs. The new songs sounded so fresh and awesome at Chicago I.

To be honest I just think U2 is ready for a break. I mean were down to 22 songs now. Hopefully they'll appreciate the southern comfort during the next few shows.

UC really was a highlight for me during amsterdam I. It would be a shame if they already decided to cut it off the setlist.

And as said above songs like Electrical Storm need to come back, bring back The Fly and more rocking songs the stage just begs for it.

What I miss about the ZOO TV tour was that they were brave enough to believe in their new material that they'd play 10 songs and a Lou Reed cover everynight just so they wouldn't have to play their "80's" material. I wish they'd be confident enough in playing more songs from No Line as well as Your Blue Room and other rareties more often.

Yeah, POPMART was the same, even moreso. I wish U2 were still this brave. Opening with 4 songs really is nothing...... Take us into the new world, let us spend time there!

Spot on. Lead and the fans will follow if the material is good enough.
This tour is petering out setlist wise IMO, I'm seriously considering only one show next summer, unless of course it's on the back of new material...

Dropping UC is one of the most monumental errors of judgment I've ever seen from the band, setlist wise. It was the centre-piece of the whole show to me... I just don't think they've got a concept anymore... Just a list of songs, until the encore....

Not happy with how this is panning out....:angry:

This Live Nation theory has got me really thinking.

Do you think U2 were told to make a "family" friendly setlist? Thus not being able to play much 90's material. Come to think of it the 360 Tour is U2's most family oriented show. Nothing really radical happens except......laser Bono??

I miss U2 coming out to Bullet for the encore with a image of kid taking a gun out a bag....:sad:

This :up:

I used to work in the 'industry', U2 maybe one of the most biggest, most popular bands in the world--but The Powers That Be---hold immense power--don't ever doubt it--its a dirty-dirty business.

I agree and I'm really starting to freak out about this having a major effect on the creative/uncanny side of U2.

U2 signed a contract with Live Nation and no telling what is written in that contract.

I honestly believe that to sell the maximum number of ridiculously priced tickets, the concert has to appeal to the widest number of people and thus has to be as inoffensive as possible. What with Live Nation's (Thieve Nation?) pricing structure (cheap-n-rubbish, expensive, more expensive, ridiculous expensive) and Blackberry's sponsorship it is obvious that the tour is about making lots of money, and not just for the U2 boys for that matter. I am definitely blaming Live Nation for this one.

Back
Top Bottom