"Unknown Caller" a weak live track?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didn't care for the studio version and was quite sure the "texting lingo" would badly date the song. But I haven't been able to get it out of my head since the Norman show. A pleasant surprise live.

i think UC has an incredible crescendo in a live setting. i mean, edge's ripping entry into his solo :ohmy:

it's just too bad he doesn't drift off into edgeland and add an extra minute to it.

I wasn't expecting much from UC at the Rose Bowl, and I was utterly blown away by it. It was a total highlight. After the show, I read some reviews and discussion that said it flopped, so maybe the impression in the seats was different. In the pit, it was incredible.

They could play this at every show for the rest of their careers and I'd be happy :up:

I wholeheartedly agree. This album in general took a longtime to grow on me but this was one of the first songs I adored. Everything about it I love and it BLEW me away live.

I hope they keep it in the second leg. seriously.

NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, Breathe work well live.
I'm not very fond on the live versions of UC. It seems another of those tracks that are great in studio but that aren't able to recreate the same intensity when played live.

I think it works very well live, the chanting is a highlight for me and the guitar solo is awesome, I just wish it ended better - it just kind of trails off at the end.

imo, they are wasting a perfect organ ( :giggle: ) segue here, UC -> YBR would be pretty sweet... And if I want to dream UC -> Love Is Blindness would be several levels of awesome.

When NLOTH came out I didn't care much for this song, but I loved it live. It just came on my ipod, and I've found the love for the album version now too. :love:

Oh man, UC > LIB sounds like heaven to me! Possibly the best encore ever?

I think it works very well live, the chanting is a highlight for me and the guitar solo is awesome, I just wish it ended better - it just kind of trails off at the end.

imo, they are wasting a perfect organ ( :giggle: ) segue here, UC -> YBR would be pretty sweet... And if I want to dream UC -> Love Is Blindness would be several levels of awesome.

My sentiments exactly!!!! I had hear LIB in UC long ago (esp the guitar in the second verse) and had this very same idea! :up:

The end is the only part needing improvement imo.

NLOTH, Magnificent, MOS, Breathe work well live.
I'm not very fond on the live versions of UC. It seems another of those tracks that are great in studio but that aren't able to recreate the same intensity when played live.
That's because it's much more intense live than in studio.

Compared to the live version I witnessed, the studio version is terrible.

q-tip.jpg

After I saw it live in Boston...I've changed my mind. It was epic, especially Edge's solo.

Totally agree. This song was incredible at the Rose Bowl. One of my highlights.

I had originally missed this one from the Rose Bowl due to a phone call I had to take. After having watched it just now I can safely say that it's a live classic!!! I didn't particularily like the Rose Bowl show but this one came off spectacular. Really hope they keep it for the 2010 tour.

Amazing song! My favourite from the album and the lyrics on the screen for the audience made is so enjoyable (and helped me remember them lol). Definitie highlight of the show!!!! Heck, even bono messed up the lyrics in Vancouver and i think it was a great way to get the crowd into it.

Weak is a massive understatement. This thing was a crowd killer at Chicago II. People fleeing for the exits like someone just farted or somethin.

I thought it was okay on the album and feel the same about it live.

Love this song live - and hearing it live definitely made me more of a fan of the album version. I do always feel a bit disappointed with the live ending - leaves me craving something a bit more satisfying.

Weak is a massive understatement. This thing was a crowd killer at Chicago II. People fleeing for the exits like someone just farted or somethin.

Really!?! I was there and was lost in the song. but that might of been due to my first ever U2 show. They can't ditch this song :'(

Of course take off the "(city) enter here" ending..... Just have more guitar effects... i think that's what's mainly missing from 00's U2 and 90's U2....

Its weird man, ever since like i seen the song name months and months back, ive always pronounced it in my head as Unknown Caller but the cal part as in the name callum. So like Cal, not Corler.

Back
Top Bottom