Ultraviolet, now and then

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bono's voice is in SO GOOD SHAPE right now, they play Ultraviolet, BD and Streets in their real tone, not half down like almost everything else. And UTEOTW and MW were played in their real tones on the last tour too, for the 5th leg.

On the other hand, MOS is half tone down, maybe for the OH OH OHs

To me the 92 vesion is much more assured. I saw Ultraviolet live in 92 and it was very intense. The sound quality of the 92 clip doesnt match the quality of this weeks version which dampens it somewhat. I am sure each time U2 play it and many of the other songs they all will become more assured. After about 10 shows they will be really nailing it. I feel the showing isnt flowing yet either, no grove going into each song from the last, but it will come.

To me the 92 vesion is much more assured.

I know what you mean, but with that assuredness comes a sort of restraint when singing it in '93/'93. This tour, he's singing it with much more passion, which I love, and it suits the song.

I've gotta go with the current version, by far. And that's unusual for me, I generally prefer songs on the tour that they premiered. It's a testament to how strong vocally he is right now. It's incredible, really.

Up until last week I couldn't have believed that the Zoo TV version could be bettered, but if they managed to keep up the power throughout the tour then there's almost no contest.

He needs to plead more though.

I'm not going to compare, I'm not even going to watch those videos from ZooTv, the thing is that I love Ultraviolet as they played it on Tuesday and yesterday, it was one of the highlights of both nights, the lighting, the microphone game, Bono's light suit were all good fun, but most importantly his voice was wonderful, I don't need to ask for more, I'm so happy to have been there.

I'm not going to compare, I'm not even going to watch those videos from ZooTv, the thing is that I love Ultraviolet as they played it on Tuesday and yesterday, it was one of the highlights of both nights, the lighting, the microphone game, Bono's light suit were all good fun, but most importantly his voice was wonderful, I don't need to ask for more, I'm so happy to have been there.

That is what I think, too - and what makes such kind of threads a bit useless ...

How about this then, I don't feel the "change" is deliberate, its just early and loose. One thing that many fans of bands forget is unlike us (the fans) who repeatedly watch/listen to shows off all the eras all the time.... Bono and the boys probably don't watch themselves or listen to tracks anything like we do and lose the familiarity. Yes, we sometimes know their music better than they do. That's why sometimes it jolts when a new tour starts. I listened to the boot of the 1st night and with much reluctance had to except for me it was a shocker. Only Pride (which is a song that imo should be dropped) was played as it should be. Unknown caller worked well too. Ultraviolet wasn't far off but needs work (maybe my 92 head working.) Did anyone else get a Brandon Flowers style of singing come through? Maybe just me. I expect many will disagree with these comments and see it very differently, just ideas really. I am glad I have left my first show until Amsterdam night 1. U2 should be just getting into their stride by then...

i just hope this song doesn't get dropped before they get to america...but with the mic wheel and laser suit, it seems like it will be a keeper, even for both of the 2-night shows..

i just hope this song doesn't get dropped before they get to america...but with the mic wheel and laser suit, it seems like it will be a keeper, even for both of the 2-night shows..

yeah I agree with u

Two great but different versions- I think Washington just shades it because I loved Bono's Zoo TV croon but the way his voice just soars on the second verse at the Nou Camp is special too.

On all of the ZooTv shows I was lucky enough to be at I thought this song was the best of the show every night. That being said i will never even attempt to compare this song from each tour. I think that they are even playing this again is incredable, and I'm praying this song makes it to America. Seeing this song TUF and Electrical Storm at one show I may actually need to wear Depends. :wink:

IF anyone has video or audio the Frankfurt 92 show of UV, talk about passion and vocal power...

The ZooTV versions were better for two reasons:

1. Edge added more guitar parts, especially to the "I remember when we could sleep..." section. That riff was MUCH better than the one he's playing now, which I think is the same as the album version.

2. The outro, after the last "Ultraviolet light!" section, was much more succinct, with Bono actually following a set pattern of singing instead of randomly shouting "Baby!" and finishing with a strong "Light my way!"

Not to say both versions aren't awesome, because, well, both versions ARE awesome. It's just that ZooTV is still a little better.

There's a little bit of hype coming from the version of UV from the recent 360 tour. Sure it's great that it's back, and the passion in Bono's singing is pretty good, as well as the laser suit etc. But one thing annoys me, and the same can be said for The Unforgettable Fire performed recently, what the hell is going on with the falsetto? Where is it at? It's absent from UV, and it's butchered in UF, so I think in that regard the falsetto needs a serious comeback and some work to further enhance the songs. Still, for some this isn't a problem, for me however I feel the falsetto was an important factor of the song...

Visually this version is just soooooooooooooooooo goood! :drool: The LED jacket, the lights, the disco ball, the smoke, the steering wheel mic, and of course Bono monkeying around with the mic.....I just LOVE all that!

Vocally, there are a couple of dissapointments for me:

1. I don't like the way Bono sings the first verse. The Zoo TV version totally owns on this point! The way Bono crooned "feel like trash, you make me feel clean, i'm in the black can't see or be seen" was just brilliant! The first verse has been pretty flat and emotionless on the couple of performances we've heard so far.

2. Like U2opra already mentioned, where the fuck is the falsetto?!?! That is one of the key moments of the song!

However, despite these shortcomings, I think Bono does a pretty good job on the rest of the song. He definitely makes up for the lack of emotion on the first verse by singing the second verse oh so powerfully! Oh and I also agree with phillyfan26's 1st point (abt the guitar riffs)

Overall, I'm just glad one of my favourite songs is back! :applaud:

Back
Top Bottom