Ultraviolet, now and then

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Band's music: ZOO TV no contest

Bono's performance: Tie... I prefer the end of Zoo TV, but the second verse of 360 is amazing!

Overall: Zoo TV by an inch...

Bono swinging about on the mic reminds of a chimp playing in a tyre swing at the zoo

And....IMO....ZOO TV versions are superior, and probably will not be bettered

Ultraviolet now is pretty damn good now. I still prefer the Zoo style but I like it even more now. Bono's voice sound's real emotional and Edge's backing vocals near the end remind me of the album version :up:

I think the only thing they really need to work on is the intro, needs some of the organ/synthesizer build up

and

the timing of the ending. Seems like so far Bono tries to cut the song early and IMO it kinds throws it off a little but still very good....so far :D

P.S. oh yeah, one more thing needed.....

THE FALSETTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have I mentioned lately how much I love this performance of this song? :drool: It just keeps getting better. Its Bono at his finest on this tour. :applaud:

I agree Bono does sound in good form but mistakes at the beginning (2nd line) and end (early finish) hamper the perfomance. Cant keeep doing this, maybe the mic is destracting him. Personaly I'd drop the new mic go with normal and engage with crowd more.

I was at that final ZooTV show where they played it last and saw 8 Zoo shows... and this was always my favorite song from those shows. I agree that you have to remember that the August 93 version was totally perfected at the end of 4 legs of shows. This new version sounds great now, but I bet will sound much better in the Fall shows and could give the Zoo version a run for its money. This one is special in its own right anyway.

I agree Bono does sound in good form but mistakes at the beginning (2nd line) and end (early finish) hamper the perfomance. Cant keeep doing this, maybe the mic is destracting him. Personaly I'd drop the new mic go with normal and engage with crowd more.

See, that's why I go to a live show - I don't go to see them perform the song word for word, if I wanted that, I would just stay home and listen to their music. I go for the performance, to make me feel the music. Bono's performance during this song is pure old school Bono - he is so making me feel this song and I am so loving it. In fact, I think I liked the first Barca performance the best when he flubbed the lines, I'm not sure what he said but I loved it! And I LOVE the mic and him swinging around, pure joy in a rock n roll show. Hard to come by these days.

See, that's why I go to a live show - I don't go to see them perform the song word for word, if I wanted that, I would just stay home and listen to their music. I go for the performance, to make me feel the music. Bono's performance during this song is pure old school Bono - he is so making me feel this song and I am so loving it. In fact, I think I liked the first Barca performance the best when he flubbed the lines, I'm not sure what he said but I loved it! And I LOVE the mic and him swinging around, pure joy in a rock n roll show. Hard to come by these days.

Absolutely. And I don't think he flubbed the lines at the first show, because he sang the same thing during the dress rehearsal... I just don't know what it was. He sang it closer to the album version the second night, and then Milan I was like a combination of the two versions.... at any rate, brilliant and I love it.

UV is sounding great right now, but vocally, it's simply no match for the Mirrorball Man-sung performances on ZooTV. Again, not a knock on the 360 versions thus far, but we're comparing it to performances that place it, IMO, among U2's finest live songs. It's just not there yet, and I doubt it ever will be. So glad to see it back in the set, however.

I'm looking forward to Ultraviolet more than any other song. Just praying, as others have commented, that it remains in the set list for NA (NY2, Was, Char). And I want him to keep the steering wheel mike - I love that thing he does where he shakes it, like the 3:00 mark in Barcalona night 1. The swinging needs a little work - it looks like at the end of the song on the first night he kind of got out of control and wasn't quite sure where he was going to end up. Should come across better as he gets experience with it.

Absolutely. And I don't think he flubbed the lines at the first show, because he sang the same thing during the dress rehearsal... I just don't know what it was. He sang it closer to the album version the second night, and then Milan I was like a combination of the two versions.... at any rate, brilliant and I love it.

That makes sense that it is a lyric change instead of a flub, because it sounded great! I love it. Even though I have absolutely no idea what he is saying. :lol: I haven't seen last night's version yet, have to go check it out now. Totally loving this song.:applaud:

I think he started to say "cant" instead of "dont" for the start of the 3rd line. "Dont" is the start of the 4th line if you kinda get me :wink: I suppose I like things loose but not too loose...

I am loving his versions in this tour. He's playing with the shape of the song, but always in a wonderful way that is always connected to the spirit of the song.
I am happy this song got re-discovered...

Missing the Zoo TV Tour (too young), I always hoped that they would play it again. But all the tours I went to they never dit. I got excited when the did the snippet in Phillidelphia during the Vertigo Tour, and now I'm going to witness it in Amsterdam on the 20th! A dream come true and i can't wait!

great song then and now.

kind of miss the backing track they used to use, but whatever. not a big difference... it's beautiful all the same.

i love the way he sings the second verse so far. the song sounds fresh. and great. because it is.

I miss Edge's ringing guitar during "I remember when we would sleep on stones...", but otherwise it's sounding good. Any chance you think they'd bring that back?

UV is sounding great right now, but vocally, it's simply no match for the Mirrorball Man-sung performances on ZooTV. Again, not a knock on the 360 versions thus far, but we're comparing it to performances that place it, IMO, among U2's finest live songs. It's just not there yet, and I doubt it ever will be. So glad to see it back in the set, however.

Actually, Bono sounds much stronger during some parts compared to ZooTV...especially the second verse...there's just no comparison. I'm not sure which one I like more...ZooTV probably has a small edge at this point still, but I wouldn't be surprised if by the end of this tour, we hear the greatest version ever...same with TUF.

I miss Edge's ringing guitar during "I remember when we would sleep on stones...", but otherwise it's sounding good. Any chance you think they'd bring that back?

yeah I miss it too...I can't imagine them actually remembering that though and bringing it back, but if anybody was to remember, it would probably be Edge...lets hope :)

Also, I'm pretty sure he's playing the same thing halfway through the second verse as he is during the "I remember..." verse, which would make playing the old ZooTV riff even more effective....it would give the song more variation than the ZooTV versions even, because for ZooTV, Edge played the exact same riff during verse 1 and 2, then went into the "I remember..." ringing riff.

I have to keep pinching myself: Ultraviolet is not only being played on the tour, it's a *BIG* song, opens the encores, has its own special costume, etc. LOVE it!

My only quibble is with the lighting. I like the purple lights on the claw, but the blue fog seems too moody and slow. Maybe it's because I associate blue fog with MLK and Running to Stand Still, which are slower songs? Hmmm... I just think it could be even better with a violently flashing strobe light, to match the tempo of the song, and purple haze. I also wish he'd sing it the way he did on Stockholm ZooTV: "When I was all fucked up / and I heard opera in my head" ... hehe. The lightsuit is great, though. Anyway, small gripes!

Bono's singing is out of this world on this track too.

I have to keep pinching myself: Ultraviolet is not only being played on the tour, it's a *BIG* song, opens the encores, has its own special costume, etc. LOVE it!

My only quibble is with the lighting. I like the purple lights on the claw, but the blue fog seems too moody and slow. Maybe it's because I associate blue fog with MLK and Running to Stand Still, which are slower songs? Hmmm... I just think it could be even better with a violently flashing strobe light, to match the tempo of the song, and purple haze. I also wish he'd sing it the way he did on Stockholm ZooTV: "When I was all fucked up / and I heard opera in my head" ... hehe. The lightsuit is great, though. Anyway, small gripes!

Bono's singing is out of this world on this track too.

Yeah, I agree....The lighting/fog is good right now but it shouldn't stay the same throughout the entire song.

Back
Top Bottom