U2's odd stance on the War album.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
NYD, SBS and 40 is enough from that album. Maybe Surrender if they feel like it.

Drowning Man would be an epic addition to the Beer Break Trinity with Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo.

IALW > Miss Sarajevo. Fits the space theme, better song and isn't as boring/slowwwww.

It fits because of the ISS link up ? The verse is just a little bonus...YBR would have been fitting (YBR=Earth) but it's a mood killer in a stadium.

It fits because of the ISS link up ? The verse is just a little bonus...YBR would have been fitting (YBR=Earth) but it's a mood killer in a stadium.
I had the good fortune to see YBR live, and I thought it worked quite well. However, I can definitely see people not enjoying it as much as I did, especially since it wasn't technically on a U2 album...maybe we can compromise with this?
YouTube - If You Wear That Velvet Dress (live from Popmart Las Vegas)
Same gorgeous vibe, enough "space" references to fit the slot, and at least marginally more well-known than YBR. I think it would work, especially after the string of upbeat songs IALW usually follows.
Sorry, War, but this is Interference. Every thread turns into a discussion about the '90s here.

You know, U2 released these songs, the lyrics are in flux. They could always rewrite the lyrics. Heck they can do whatever they want. Like a song, Drowning man, or Seconds would be great. So would and of the backstuff off October, TUF and any other album.

p.s. Miss Sarajevo needs to go ASAP. It is a fantastic song. It is not a fantastic concert song after a few tours.

Two Hearts Beat As One could easily replace Elevation.

We get a great, high energy song from War without having to argue about "sounding dated" with Seconds or Like A Song.

I don't see these songs as any more dated or event specific than SBS or NYD, but I acknowledge the issue people have.

So 2 Hearts would be enough for me, though I would have more from this great album if I was writing the set lists!

I really, really, really hope for 2 Hearts!:drool:

Hope this NEVER happens.

Elevation's had its 3 tours as a must-do.

Seriously, 3 tours in a row! Good song, gets the crowd going, etc, etc, we've been through that endlessly here. But it's just NOT that good by any means to be still taking up a spot every single night in the setlist.

The album version is terrible, and the lyrics are absolutely meaningless.

Tomb Raider and live versions kick major ass, but so do plenty of other U2 songs they haven't touched in forever.

Two Hearts Beat As One hasn't been played in 22 years!

Elevation is mediocre and has had it's run, 2 Hearts is a U2 classic that's been neglected.

i hate thbao.

Nice eloquent response:up:

It's posts like these that remind me of the great disconnect between interference and the rest of the U2 fan community.

it baffles me how anyone could prefer Elevation to 2 Hearts, but to each their own, I guess.

It's posts like these that remind me of the great disconnect between interference and the rest of the U2 fan community.

it baffles me how anyone could prefer Elevation to 2 Hearts, but to each their own, I guess.
this may come as a shock to you, but people can have different opinions. i don't like the song elevation, but i don't like thbao either.

it baffles me how anyone could prefer Elevation to 2 Hearts, but to each their own, I guess.[/QUOTE]

this may come as a shock to you, but people can have different opinions. i don't like the song elevation, but i don't like thbao either.

Well, you must've missed the part of my post I highlighted, then.

It comes as no "shock to me" that people have different opinions.

I see some simplistic "I hate X" statement in response to a suggestion I make, I'm coming back with my own opinion. That's all.:wave:

And I put no value judgement on any opinion. One is as good as the other.

There's a difference between flying off the handle, which I have admittedly and regrettably done in the past, or calling out non sense like with the Bono tax issue, and passing off my opinion on something as more valid than anyone else's.

War is rated much lower here than it is almost anywhere else U2 related. Take that one to the bank!

I prefer Elevation over THBAO. Especially live. I don't mind hearing Elevation night after night, and do think THBAO would get boring after one or two. Do I have to hand in my fan card now?

Seriously, 3 tours in a row! Good song, gets the crowd going, etc, etc, we've been through that endlessly here. But it's just NOT that good by any means to be still taking up a spot every single night in the setlist.

The album version is terrible, and the lyrics are absolutely meaningless.

It's my favorite song of all time. Your argument will always be flawed in this case, to me.

i like two hearts, but to say it doesn't sound dated defies belief.

This too. No song on the actual setlist should be replaced for THBAO, it's almost the worst song on War.

I like Two Hearts and it would be cool to have it brought back, but considering Elevation's place in the set (i.e., one of the songs that really gets the whole place jumping), I don't see Two Hearts doing that.

I'm sick of Elevation, but I don't agree that Two Hearts would be a good replacement for it.

I prefer Elevation over THBAO. Especially live. I don't mind hearing Elevation night after night, and do think THBAO would get boring after one or two. Do I have to hand in my fan card now?

Where do people get this idea about me?

I could care less that someone has a different opinion than me.

It's my favorite song of all time. Your argument will always be flawed in this case, to me.

This too. No song on the actual setlist should be replaced for THBAO, it's almost the worst song on War.

Not trying to be a jerk, I'm just curious.

What is your take on the studio version versus the Tomb Raider and live versions?

I don't think they are even in the same ballpark.

Where do people get this idea about me?

I could care less that someone has a different opinion than me.

What is your take on the studio version versus the Tomb Raider and live versions?

Well you said it baffled you.

I do agree on the second part though, when I say Elevation I say the live(Elevation/360) or Tomb Raider versions. The album version is a bit meh, just like the Vertigo tour live version.

Yeah, I'll be honest... I'm really happy with Elevation staying in the set. I hated the song before I experienced it live, twice. It was... pretty awesome in Houston. I still don't like the album version, and the lyrics are silly, but I think there should be some balance in the set of more meaningful songs and more fun songs anyway. And, especially in 2009, it was actually thematically integrated into the show really well. I thought that Elevation->Your Blue Room was an amazing transition, odd as it may sound.

I had no issue with Elevation being played at my shows either.

I too saw the Elevation--> YBR transition on 9/21 in Boston and enjoyed it. I even heard it rehearsed multiple times from the parking lot and thought it was really cool.

It's just there are other songs that I'd enjoy more and could work just as well.

I agree 100%, there needs to be a balance of meaningful and lighthearted songs in the set. I guess what I just don't get is why this one particular fun song, Elevation, needs to be a 3 tours running staple.

It's not like U2 don't have plenty of other fun songs that would get the crowd going.

If we get this new album in a few months, the reckoning is fast approaching. U2 is going to be playing 5 or 6 or more tracks from the new album, so the question becomes, "what do we include from the back catalog and how do we go about picking that?"

They are going to have to decide between playing songs like Elevation to death and actually reaching into the back catalog for more than just the must-do's from JT and AB.

Unless the set gets 7 songs longer, they can't keep it all.

I say drop the ATYCLB and bring in the underrepresented War, JT album tracks, Zooropa and Pop.

Oh, I know. And after all, I know I'm alone when it comes to my favorite song. Anyway, to answer your question, the Tomb Raider version was my favorite a long time ago, but with time it just got... kinda meh to me. The album version was my favorite then. But the one that is really the best to me is The Biffco Mix, which I don't cite usually as my favorite 'cause few people know and I too lazy to explain sometimes. It came on the Australian version of the single. It is the perfect blend between the Tomb Raider and album versions. (Also, out of laziness I don't tell that Levitate is tied with Elevation as my favorite.)
On live versions, Elevation and Vertigo Tour ones wins 'cause on the former it was a monster live, and on Vertigo they kept that quality while playing it in a new and very cool fashion, making it work perfectly with Vertigo, the song. On 360, while not as awesome as it was on the other two (I say this based on what I listened on bootlegs 'cause I haven't seen a 360º show, yet, so my mind could change about this... I could find it as awesome as on the other Tours after all), Elevation still is a song that I wouldn't take out of the setlist, never.

I don't believe that

Well, that's about as close to factually wrong as you could get in a discussion like this.

Plenty of songs can and have worked just as well as Elevation in getting the crowd going.

Oh, I know. And after all, I know I'm alone when it comes to my favorite song. Anyway, to answer your question, the Tomb Raider version was my favorite a long time ago, but with time it just got... kinda meh to me. The album version was my favorite then. But the one that is really the best to me is The Biffco Mix, which I don't cite usually as my favorite 'cause few people know and I too lazy to explain sometimes. It came on the Australian version of the single. It is the perfect blend between the Tomb Raider and album versions. (Also, out of laziness I don't tell that Levitate is tied with Elevation as my favorite.)
On live versions, Elevation and Vertigo Tour ones wins 'cause on the former it was a monster live, and on Vertigo they kept that quality while playing it in a new and very cool fashion, making it work perfectly with Vertigo, the song. On 360, while not as awesome as it was on the other two (I say this based on what I listened on bootlegs 'cause I haven't seen a 360º show, yet, so my mind could change about this... I could find it as awesome as on the other Tours after all), Elevation still is a song that I wouldn't take out of the setlist, never.

Levitate is EASILY the most underrated of the 00's songs!:up::up:

Back
Top Bottom