U2 will have a new opening song in 2010, confirmed - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 05-15-2010, 07:44 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:01 AM
U2 will have a new opening song in 2010, confirmed

From atu2:

Confirming what many fans have suspected, U2 360 Tour Designer Willie Williams said this week that this year's shows will have a different opening than last year's concerts. Williams made the comments Thursday during an interview on Cleveland's WBWC radio station. He didn't specify what the exact changes would be, nor which song will open the upcoming shows, but he did say the band feels a need to make some changes to keep the shows fresh.

On our forum and elsewhere online, fans have speculated that "Breathe" would be dropped as the show opener ever since the song was known to have been edited out of the main sequence of the upcoming U2 360 Live at the Rose Bowl DVD.

So what do you think ? Will they open with Boots, like DVD, or something else (if so, what song?) ?

I hope NLOTH gets the chance to open.

Old 05-15-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:01 PM
NLOTH and Fez would both be perfect.

Just hope they don't reprise the Magnificent experiment of Boston II.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
NLOTH and Fez would both be perfect.

Just hope they don't reprise the Magnificent experiment of Boston II.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 AM   #4
War Child

Interesting news Although I hope it's true, I can't see them going any further than Get on Your Boots. NLOTH would be great but I can't see Bono playing guitar for the first song. Maybe Axver can help me...has he ever played guitar on the first song?

Any way a while back I had a dream they opened with Never Let Me Go (of all songs, I know). One day when they can only play in cabaret clubs I hope they open with this song. We can only hope
Old 05-15-2010, 08:47 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy WM View Post
NLOTH would be great but I can't see Bono playing guitar for the first song. Maybe Axver can help me...has he ever played guitar on the first song?
It's very rare but it has happened. All eight times Hawkmoon 269 opened, Bono played guitar.

(And personally, I'd rate Hawkmoon 269 as U2's greatest opener alongside 11 O'clock Tick Tock and Streets.)

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #6
War Child

Oh crap of course. The Lovetown special on youtube is one of the best U2 clips i've seen.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:04 AM   #7
Vocal parasite

Also, although it never actually happened at a public gig, prior to the third leg of ZooTV, U2 rehearsed a new concert opener with Bono performing Acrobat solo on guitar, seguing into a full band Zoo Station.

And let's not forget that Bono seems to enjoy "wearing" a guitar ...!

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-15-2010, 09:37 AM   #8
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 12:01 AM
I bet it's Boots, although I think NLOTH would be the best opener from the album
Old 05-15-2010, 10:07 AM   #9
Galeonbroad

I reckon it's gonna be Boots, but I still hope they'll debut Fez at some point. It would be the most epic opener of this tour.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 05-15-2010, 02:06 PM   #10
Refugee

Local Time: 03:01 AM
Glad to hear there is another opener.

I honestly like Axver's Until The End of The World>>>>> No Line On The Horizon opening.

They don't always have to open with a new song, just keep them up front and make sure they're not after thoughts.

More realistic would obviously be NLOTH or Boots, and of the two, I'd rather NLOTH.

I don't get the whole Fez/Being Born craze at all.

People were lost enough when Breathe opened followed by a bunch of new songs.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

It would definitely be a surprise if they opened with something not on No Line. Based on how few people out there seem to be familiar with the new songs, maybe a non-NLOTH song as an opening would have the crowd more into it, if that's what they're interested in.

I think it could work, but I understand wanting to open with the album you're actually touring behind.
Old 05-15-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
Acrobat

Opening songs are great to use new songs because u dont have to worry about it being familiar, because the crowd is amped at the start of the show period, that's probably they opened with Breathe, because anywhere else in the set it might not have gotten that kind of reaction. I think it'll still be a NLOTH song, likely Boots, which IMHO should have been opening anyway, that let me in the sound intro is too amazing not to use to build tension. But i also think maybe ...and ur gonna hate this, Stand Up Comedy has a shot lol
Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 02:01 AM
Fez
Old 05-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galeongirl View Post
I reckon it's gonna be Boots, but I still hope they'll debut Fez at some point. It would be the most epic opener of this tour.

But I think it will be "Boots".
Old 05-16-2010, 04:06 PM   #15
War Child

A few openers I'd like to hear that would also fit into the show. Although maybe not that realistic...

1. MOFO
2. Discotheque (Vertigo tour version)
3. FEZ/Being Born
4. Wire
5. Acrobat (this one is never gonna happen...)
6. City of Blinding Lights
7. Even Better Than The Real Thing