U2 intro song/1st song wish-list 2010

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

edge-evans

The Fly
Besides the usual hardcore fan wishes for them to open with a jaw dropping esoteric tune like Two Hearts or Acrobat :drool: - which would make my life, I was thinking about what may be possible for a "reality wish list."

Obviously IMO a Boots intro and full song would work and to me do better than Breathe but.....

What about Larry coming out and starting the drum solo part (we are thinking "shit! Breathe again?") and then changing the cadence to the drums from Desire. A full band rock your balls off version of Desire would be BA. The crowd would go ape shit. Then go ahead with the NLOTH stuff and whatever. Any other thoughts that would be cool? Obviously not a prediction thread!

It's not U2's style to open up with an older song, and personally I applaud them on that decision.

I think more than likely we'll get the opening that the upcoming DVD has, but I'd go apeshit if it was Being Born, as soon as I heard the album I was hoping for that...:shrug:

NLOTH would be an absolutely scorching opener.

However (and I've been saying this for a while), I think opening with a new song has become a bit of a U2 concert cliche. Time to shake it up a bit. The attitude they're conveying of confidence in new material is the same whether or not a new song is played first or second; it's still prominent and up front. Hence, I think opening with UTEOTW, then seguing it into NLOTH, would dominate, and it wouldn't compromise their intentions.

The only "old" opener they should use is COBL, that would be fantastic (if it's dark yet)!

When I heard the NLOTH album and I thought of openers I always thought that Fez-Being born would be perfect. Imagine it being all dark while hearing Fez, and then BAM-->all light go on, bono screaming the intro of being born while the stadium goes mad!.:hyper::hyper::hyper:

(Breathe was such a dull opener, Bono came on stage, a bit of clapping hands and then it was a snoozefest more or less even in Amsterdam...NOT what an opener should be..)

My dream opener would of course be that all lights go out, for 30secs you hear nothing, and then the background loop of Bad starts:heart:

The only old opener I'd ever want to see is Streets. But I'd rather have it open the encore. Same with Mofo. THey're both high energy songs, so it's perhaps not wise to play them as first song. Things go downhill from there.

For the new tour I'd dig Fez/BB as opener, otherwise NLOTH would be cool. The hybrid's okay, though it'd be fucking epic if they changed it to NLOTH2. Not gonna happen, I know. But I can dream right?

The intro from Kingdom into Fez should be magical :love:

Also: Stand up comedy, IF they decided to play that.

But I guess it will be Boots. I don't see the show opening with NLOTH because somehow I doubt Bono would want to have a guitar for the first song.

The intro from Kingdom into Fez should be magical :love:

Also: Stand up comedy, IF they decided to play that.

But I guess it will be Boots. I don't see the show opening with NLOTH because somehow I doubt Bono would want to have a guitar for the first song.

Love the idea of the Kingdom intro into Fez...that would be too awesome!!!:love: :drool:

Boots or Stand Up Comedy would be alright too. However, wouldn't it awesome if they had a "Pop" set/medley??? Imagine the effects they could do with the Claw!!!:cute:

Last edited:
NLOTH would be an absolutely scorching opener.

However (and I've been saying this for a while), I think opening with a new song has become a bit of a U2 concert cliche. Time to shake it up a bit. The attitude they're conveying of confidence in new material is the same whether or not a new song is played first or second; it's still prominent and up front. Hence, I think opening with UTEOTW, then seguing it into NLOTH, would dominate, and it wouldn't compromise their intentions.

You want to kill my stamina right at the start? :wink:
:applaud:

Magnificent would be good for the opener but right after Kingdom ends instead of the long pause and Bono saying where are we going Edge should just hit the first chord of his guitar and have the musical builup in the song in a darker lit stage then when the main rhythm starts thats when the stage lights up.

Yesterday I was thinking that I Will Follow would be an amazing opener. I know, it's not gonna happen, but how cool would that be?

A new song. Full stop.
None of NLOTH's songs is "that" perfect opener. "Magnificent" isn't bad at all, but...

Plus, whatever the opener is, just put an end on that stupid 10/15 second gap after "Kingdom".

I am glad "Kingdom" is getting a bit of healthy skepticism here.

I was always a little apprehensive about criticizing because most seem to think it walks on water.

I can't tell you what I make of the song itself- haven't heard nearly enough of it and we have no idea what form it would take if released and if that is even similar to the snippet we heard as the intro.

Either way, as intro music, Space Oddity/Kingdom/pause>>>> Breathe/Magnificent/Anything else, LEAVES A HELL OF A LOT TO BE DESIRED.

Wake Up was much better on the Vertigo tour.

I didn't see any tours prior to that in person, but I hazard a guess everything was better actually. Especially JT, Zoo TV and Popmart.

When I first heard "Boots" I was convinced the best way to open up would be "Devil Inside" by INXS played as the last song over the PA, lights down, some video mix like the awards shows, then Boots starts.

I still like that, NLOTH would be good as well, but I like the "shake it up" suggestions here even better.

Open with something completely new or better yet, how about Gloria, Desire or Until The End of The World?

Keep some new songs right up front, but if none of them work as an opener, an older one should not be excluded just because its U2 tradition to do so.

I will say this: Kingdom is a fantastic intro song, it's Breathe that's a bad opener.

Kingdom is an amazing intro. And when the screen displays the countdown, heart attack for us fans. Simply amazing. Breathe was a bad, bad opener.

A few months ago I would have said no chance of a new opener let alone Even Better Than the Real Thing being played. However I now think they'll probably open with this. I'm slowly starting to believe it would be a kick ass first song.

Never say never, but I would almost bet on never in this case.

What makes you think U2 would open with EBTTRT in 2010 or 2011?

I was listening to the Zoo TV version the other day and thought how great it was and also because there has been a lot of talk about that song recently. I remember reading last year that the band were uncertain about Breathe. Something about how Bono realised not many people knew it. EBTTRT would make any place go nuts. Despite loving NLOTH and Fez, I just don't see them opening a show. Heck...I Will Follow or 11 O'Clock Tick Tock would even be better.

Well I think U2's mindset(and one I actually agree with) is never open with an old track.

I think there's a good chance they'll play it, but to say you think they'll probably open with it, is a bit of a stretch.

Back
Top Bottom