U2 Glastonbury Setlist Prediction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amiarockstar

The Fly
1. Get on Your Boots
2. Vertigo
3. Beautiful Day
4. Magnificent
5. Out of Control
6. Until the End of the World
7. Sunday Bloody Sunday
8. New Year's Day
9. Breathe
10. Elevation
11. I Will Follow
12. Mysterious Ways
13. City of Blinding Lights
14. Walk On
15. Pride
16. Bad
17. Streets

Encore:
18. The Fly
19. One
20. With or Without You
21. Moment of Surrender
22. 40

1) Get on your boots
2) magnificent
3) until the end of the world
4) city of blinding lights
5) vertigo
6) crazy tonight
7) sunday bloody sunday
8) MLK
9) walk on
10) amazing grace
11) where the streets have no name
12) one
13) mysterious ways
14) moment of surrender
15) bad

1. Get on Your Boots
2. Vertigo
3. Beautiful Day
4. Magnificent
5. Out of Control
7. Sunday Bloody Sunday
8. New Year's Day
9. Breathe
10. Elevation
11. I Will Follow
12. Mysterious Ways
13. City of Blinding Lights
14. Walk On
15. Pride
16. Bad
17. Streets

Encore:
18. The Fly
19. One
20. With or Without You
21. Moment of Surrender
22. 40

I have a feeling this is extremely close to how it will go!

They should definitely play 40 at the end. There's a rumour in the other Glasto thread that they will play Even Better than the Real Thing.

1. Get on Your Boots
2. Elevation
3. Beautiful Day
4. Still Haven't Found
5. Out of Control
7. Gone
8. The Fly
9. Crazy Tonight Remix
10. Vertigo
11. I Will Follow
12. Mysterious Ways
13. Even Better Than The Real Thing
14. Pride
15. COBL
16. Bad
17. Walk On

Encore:
18. Streets
19. One
20. With or Without You
21. Moment of Surrender
22. 40

Official guidelines for Glastonbury Setlist predictions:
  • "Williams promises an extra-special, hit-packed performance."
  • "I'm thinking about what you'd want to see if you were only going to see U2 once in your life"
  • "I can start from scratch with the setlist and build a one-off show for the British audience."
=> pure speculation based on previous "one-off event setlists" (Live8, Live Aid, Special Olympics, Cannes U23D performance, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame etc), Best of compilations and personal preference. Note: not much consideration was taken about the flow of the actual setlist. :lol:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Vertigo
3. New Year's Day
4. Desire
5. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (Acoustic)
6. Slow Dancing (feat. special guest: Willie Nelson)
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. Bad
11. Gone (feat. special guest: Matt Bellamy of Muse on piano and electroguitar)
12. City Of Blinding Lights
13. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. One -> Amazing Grace (snippet) ->
16. Where the Streets Have No Name ->
17. Moment of Surrender

18. Even Better Than The Real Thing (feat. special guests: The Australian U2 show)
19. Magnificent
20. Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
21. With or Without You
22. 40

Or something like that. I put much more thought into my upcoming 360 setlist wishlist, so I'm more happy with that one.

Official guidelines for Glastonbury Setlist predictions:
  • "Williams promises an extra-special, hit-packed performance."
  • "I'm thinking about what you'd want to see if you were only going to see U2 once in your life"
  • "I can start from scratch with the setlist and build a one-off show for the British audience."
=> pure speculation based on previous "one-off event setlists" (Live8, Live Aid, Special Olympics, Cannes U23D performance, Rock and Roll Hall of Fame etc), Best of compilations and personal preference. Note: not much consideration was taken about the flow of the actual setlist. :lol:

1. Beautiful Day
2. Vertigo
3. New Year's Day
4. Desire
5. Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of (Acoustic)
6. Slow Dancing (feat. special guest: Willie Nelson)
7. The Unforgettable Fire
8. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
9. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
10. Bad
11. Gone (feat. special guest: Matt Bellamy of Muse on piano and electroguitar)
12. City Of Blinding Lights
13. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. One -> Amazing Grace (snippet) ->
16. Where the Streets Have No Name ->
17. Moment of Surrender

18. Even Better Than The Real Thing (feat. special guests: The Australian U2 show)
19. Magnificent
20. Ultraviolet (Light My Way)
21. With or Without You
22. 40

Or something like that. I put much more thought into my upcoming 360 setlist wishlist, so I'm more happy with that one.

LOVE. :applaud:

As per The_Edge89's guidelines...

Beautiful Day
Vertigo
Breathe*
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Until the End of the World
New Years Day
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Stay (acoustic)
Desire (acoustic)
The Unforgettable Fire
Magnificent
Sunday Bloody Sunday
I Will Follow
Pride
Where the Streets Have No Name
Bad
----------------------
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Mysterious Ways
----------------------
One
With or Without You
Bad/40

*or the single that was rumored for a June release date

i'd personally switch Streets for Bad seeing how Streets wraps up the main set perfectly most times and maybe Beautiful Day later as a sort of 'ace up the sleeve'. otherwise that set is pretty much perfect and just what I'd expect to be honest with the exception of Hold Me Thrill Me. If they brought back either that or Discotheque that would be amazing

Even Better than the Real Thing could be the opener? One cover band has spilled the beans on their involvement, but there's no suggestion that they're the only one being used, they could of course in the end be using footage of more than one cover band, and that sounds like a fun/different way of opening - a montage of U2 cover bands from all over the world, leading into (ahem) the real thing. Or, if not opening, perhaps the footage that kicks off an encore.

I still contend that opening with a run of 00's "rockers" isn't the right way to go about it. Open with something high energy from the 90s, and then hit the crowd immediately with one of the big classics. e.g. Even Better than the Real Thing going immediately into New Years Day is an opening one-two punch of biblical proportions. Any combination of Vertigo/Elevation/Boots/Beautiful Day/Magnificent/Breathe is a stalled start, IMO, and plays directly into the hands of those eagerly waiting to trash them.

Can we expect a full 22 song (~ 2 hour) show, or would it be a cut down affair? How does Glastonbury normally work in this regard? Aren't festival shows generally cut down?

i'll think that they not will play 22 songs, at least 14 a 15 songs.....
here are my setlist for Glastonbury :

Breathe
NLOTH
Beautiful Day
Even Better Than the Real Thing
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Magnificent
New Years Day
Vertigo
Where the Streets Have No Name
I Will Follow
Pride
Mysterious Ways
One
The Unforgettable Fire
With or Without You
Moment Of Surrender

i'll think that they not will play 22 songs, at least 14 a 15 songs.....

They're headliners and bloody U2 at that. They'll definitely play more than 20 songs.

yeah, have you been to Glastonbury before U2C?? i really don't know on what basis you conclude that they'll play 14-15 songs. :huh: the headliner always gets a full slot, ie. Plays a full gig.

Only act I can think of that had to drastically "cut" their standard set length recently was Springsteen and that's only because he plays a fucking long set doesn't he? I'm happy to wrong about that though. And even then he went over the curfew, bringing the festival a fine of thousands of pounds!

Bowie had to cut 10 songs of his proposed set when he played 10 years ago too, but U2 are hardly going to cut their set.

Yeah it will be a full set. Springsteen cost Eavis about 15,000quid because he overran, but since it was Dancing in the Dark into Born to Run, he said it was more than worth it.

I think they'll go at least 18-20. If it's time limited, they'll get less in then, say, the Blur example above (got to factor in at least 10 minutes of Bono-banter, and longer songs in general), but I do think they'll go for as close to a full length setlist as possible.

Even Better than the Real Thing could be the opener? One cover band has spilled the beans on their involvement, but there's no suggestion that they're the only one being used, they could of course in the end be using footage of more than one cover band, and that sounds like a fun/different way of opening - a montage of U2 cover bands from all over the world, leading into (ahem) the real thing. Or, if not opening, perhaps the footage that kicks off an encore.

I still contend that opening with a run of 00's "rockers" isn't the right way to go about it. Open with something high energy from the 90s, and then hit the crowd immediately with one of the big classics. e.g. Even Better than the Real Thing going immediately into New Years Day is an opening one-two punch of biblical proportions. Any combination of Vertigo/Elevation/Boots/Beautiful Day/Magnificent/Breathe is a stalled start, IMO, and plays directly into the hands of those eagerly waiting to trash them.

So we pretty much agree on the "dynamics" if you will, of the setlist, then?
In my experience of this tour, the shows didn't kick-off for real until Beautiful Day in slot 5 which is pretty late into the show. I don't know about the general audience on the Glastonbury Festival, but opening with at least some of the more recent hits is the way to go I presume.

Opening with older material or the No Line On The Horizon songs wouldn't perhaps get the attention of the audience if it's not familiar with the material, so by starting off with something over-exposed like Vertigo (iPod campaign, massive first single, and fun rocker) or Beautiful Day which has established itself as a live classic by now which is instantly recognized by so many people even if they're not U2 fans. Heck people even mocked me in 6th grade for liking that "Beautiful Day band" :)doh:) so it is surely a song that most people know about at this stage. Then, you could throw in some 80's songs and we're off. ;)

I'm certain many of these people weren't there primarily to catch U2 for instance. This wouldn't be U2's regular crowd, yet even the people in the back are enjoying themselves:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLQZt9sbkHo

Yeah it will be a full set. Springsteen cost Eavis about 15,000quid because he overran, but since it was Dancing in the Dark into Born to Run, he said it was more than worth it.

Born to Run was earlier in the set but that's irrelevant (sorry :doh:) it was definitely worth it!!

-

I'm so fucking excited about Glastonbury now! Whatever they play, I really can't wait :applaud: this is going to be the perfect evening for me seeing U2 there.

^ Sorry, yeh I meant Glory Days - Dancing in the Dark. Whatever, it made me think 'shit I really need to go to that next year' haha.

haha yeah Springsteen was fucking insane. I went to see him with my girlfriend and her family, and her Dad's a HUGE fan so that was fun watching with him. you going this year then?

1.)Until The End of The World
2.)New Year's Day
3.)Beautiful Day
4.)Vertigo
5.)Elevation
6.)I Will Follow
7.)Out of Control
8.)Sunday Bloody Sunday
9.)All I Want Is You
10.)Where The Streets Have No Name
11.)Bad
12.)Pride
13.)Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For
14.)The Unforgettable Fire
15.)One/Unchained Melody
16.)Walk On
17.)No Line On The Horizon
18.)Desire
------------------------------------------------------
19.)Get On Your Boots
20.)Even Better Than The Real Thing
21.)Mysterious Ways
22.)Breathe
23.)Gloria
24.)With or Without You/Shine Like Stars
25.)40

haha yeah Springsteen was fucking insane. I went to see him with my girlfriend and her family, and her Dad's a HUGE fan so that was fun watching with him. you going this year then?

Certainly am, cannot wait. I'll be down the front on Friday. Just a pity about the rest of the Pyramid Stage on that day. I am very excited about that fact that it will be a U2 show pretty much unlike any they've played for about 25 years.

If there is a curfew then U2 will take every opportunity to play as short as possible. Heck they might even drop a song or two in the name of 'changing things up' such is their curious attitude to setlists.

Thinking +ve, I hope everyone has a great time. The setlist might be a precursor for the rest of the 2010 tour. But I am guessing largely unchanged from 2009. Except perhaps the opener.

1.)Until The End of The World
2.)New Year's Day
3.)Beautiful Day
4.)Vertigo
5.)Elevation
6.)I Will Follow
7.)Out of Control
8.)Sunday Bloody Sunday
9.)All I Want Is You
10.)Where The Streets Have No Name
11.)Bad
12.)Pride
13.)Still Haven't Found What I am Looking For
14.)The Unforgettable Fire
15.)One/Unchained Melody
16.)Walk On
17.)No Line On The Horizon
18.)Desire
19.)Get On Your Boots
20.)Even Better Than The Real Thing
21.)Mysterious Ways
22.)Breathe
23.)Gloria
24.)With or Without You/Shine Like Stars
25.)40

I meant to put in an explanation last night!

-I have always thought Until The End Of The World would be a great opener! What better time to try it out than on a special occasion with a lot of non U2 die hards there? As Earnie Shavers says, there has been a lot of backlash against 00's U2, so why not open with something from the 90s and run it into a well liked classic far away from 00's U2? I would be willing to bet even those who have never heard it before would have their attention grabbed by a high energy, turned up to 11 visually spectacular Until The end... opening!

-It goes without saying that Desire is Lovetown style and MW is played as close to the Zoo TV/Popmart/Elevation versions as possible- intro/slide solo, etc.

-The vast majority of the set is recognizable to the average person, never mind the average music fan.

-The stuff that is not as recognizable to this group should be there for 2 reasons:

New stuff: Realism. U2 will never play a show, no matter how casual, Brooklyn Bridge, SNL, Live 8, etc without at least a few new songs. I know none of NLOTH is well known, but still.

Old Stuff: I don't care what U2 think or what others here may think, if you are doing a "once in your lifetime" U2 show, then you need this stuff. I know acknowledging that U2 existed prior to 1984 has gone out of style with, well, U2 themselves. However, Bad, Gloria, Out of Control, I Will Follow and 40 are just way too big a part of the U2 canon and an even bigger part of U2's live history to be left out of an event like this. Plus, a hell of a lot of older than 25, casual music fans are very familiar with these songs and associate them with the U2 that they were more fond of as compared to say, I-Pod Vertigo U2!

I think U2 would have a very good chance of gaining a good amount of new fans and more credibility with the younger festival types if they played a set like this.

I tried to come up with a set that was casual but not cliche. I think this is somewhat close.

This may not be the place, but I think what Earnie Shavers and edge89 are suggesting with putting 80s songs right after the opening slot should be carried over onto regular 360 shows.

This is not a knock on NLOTH, I think its their best album since AB, but for whatever reason, opening with a barrage of songs from it just does not work. Its not nearly as well known nor does it have the kind of unity/continuity of feeling that makes the songs sound best when played together.

I think their best bet is opening with Magnificent, and then take your pick of I Will Follow or ASOH or Gloria or New Year's Day in the #2 slot and guess what, they sound great together!

If you don't believe me, make a playlist and see for yourselves!

Also,for what its worth, the Joshua Tree, based in Boston and a routine winner of praise as one of the best U2 cover bands in America, has opened with Mag-NYD-Gloria-IGC both times I have seen them!

Back
Top Bottom