U2 Glastonbury Setlist Prediction

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2 will play U2inSL's Video Footage During Glastonbury!

Greetings, folks! I wanted to inform the U2 community at large of something exciting (for those of us involved) related to U2's June 25th Glastonbury Festival gig. In the virtual world of Second Life a group of friends and I produce a tribute band called "U2inSL". This production has been in Second Life since 2005. We produce virtually full-blown concerts created to replicate the real thing, complete with stage like the real thing and avatars who resemble the band. WELL, the exciting thing is that FOOTAGE from a U2inSL concert video has been chosen to be part of a video montage shown at Glastonbury during the "real" U2's performance of "Even Better Than the Real Thing". How do we know this? The media company preparing the backdrop film for the big screen has recently informed us of Principle Management's approval and also told us we may 'blog' about it. You can read more about U2inSL at our website, U2 in SL - A Virtual Band in Second Life�. We're U2's FIRST VIRTUAL tribute band and now the world will see us!

1. Life in Technicolor
2. Violet Hill
3. Clocks
4. In My Place
5. Yellow
6. Cemeteries of London
7. 42
8. Fix You
9. God Put a Smile Upon Your Face
10. Viva La Vida
11. Lost
12. The Scientist

13. Politik
14. Lovers in Japan
15. Death and All His Friends

:bump:

Official guidelines for Glastonbury Setlist predictions:
  • "Williams promises an extra-special, hit-packed performance."
  • "I'm thinking about what you'd want to see if you were only going to see U2 once in your life"
  • "I can start from scratch with the setlist and build a one-off show for the British audience."

You last visited: 01-26-2011 at 11:06 PM, wow! :ohmy:
And now this: "We want to go back to our '90s work that plays into a certain kind of psychedelia and do something that's tailored around that, from Zoo TV to PopMart. This is the 20th anniversary of Achtung Baby so there's a nice connection there and we thought we should mark that."

Intro (PA): Elbow - One Day Like This

1. Beautiful Day
2. Until The End of The World
3. New Year's Day
4. When Love Comes To Town (featuring special guest: B.B. King)
5. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
6. Vertigo (360° Version)
7. The Flowering Rose Of Glastonbury
8. Mysterious Ways
9. Desire
10. Mofo
11. Discothèque
12. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
13. Sweetest Thing
14. Kite
15. City Of Blinding Lights
16. Sunday Bloody Sunday
17. The Fly (With Fly shades)
18. Acrobat (With Fly shades)
19. One (featuring special guest: Beyoncé) -> Wake Up Dead Man (snippet)->
20. Where The Streets Have No Name

Encore(s): a.k.a. Return of Mr. Macphisto!
21. Even Better Than The Real Thing (360° Version) (featuring special guests: The Australian U2 show?)
22. Ultra Violet (Light My Way) (360° Version)
23. With Or Without You
24. Love Is Blindness

With the new aspect of ZooTV/Popmart style and probably a few songs from there, I had to make some sacrifices from what I expected last year. The Flowering Rose Of Glastonbury will be played for sure, and it's not impossible that we have a guest appearence from the mayor of Lovetown himself. The Beyoncé duet would be similar to the Mary J Blige version if that happens. Desire will be played as it was their first UK #1 hit. As will Even Better Than The Real Thing since it was planned last year and resurrected recently for the main tour. Other than that, it's anyone's guess I suppose.

A one-off show, with a few oldies, some classics, well known U2-sing-alongs, rarities and 90's material.
It's good to be back! :hyper:

My setlist prediction:

Even Better Than The Real Thing
I Will Follow
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Mysterious Ways / Norwegian Wood (snippet)
Elevation
Until The End Of The World / Anthem (snippet) / Where Have All The Flowers Gone? (snippet)
All I Want Is You
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Beautiful Day / Space Oddity (snippet)
Pride (In The Name Of Love)
Miss Sarajevo
Zooropa
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo / Dirty Boulevard (snippet)
Crazy Tonight / Discothèque (snippet) / Life During Wartime (snippet) / Psycho Killer (snippet)
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Scarlet
Walk On / You'll Never Walk Alone (snippet)

Encore(s):
One
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow (snippet) / Where The Streets Have No Name
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
With Or Without You
Moment of Surrender

Seeing as this week off seems to be Spiderman dedicated - no rehearsals or anything going on - I'd think the only non-360 song you can bank on as of now would be The Fly. Stuff that has been dropped from 360 that doesn't really require practice (like say, New Years Day) would be entirely possible, but for non-360 stuff, if it doesn't pop up in Anaheim or Baltimore soundchecks, it's not happening. (Unless it's something acoustic - e.g. Dallas mentioning Staring at the Sun - obviously Bono/Edge can figure that out anywhere.)

haha excellent prediction Dan. I completely forgot about this thread and honestly thought you'd literally just started it with that list :lol: I'm hoping it stays the same, but with Glastonbury slotted in somewhere. and Bad. why mess with a great set

It's a great U2-gig set, but they can do much better for this event with just four-five simple/easy changes. And while anyone hoping that they're going to bust out a Mofo or something is crazy, I do think they seem to 'get' this gig, so do think there probably will be some changes. Nothing dramatic, just room made for more of the big ones. Goodbye Miss Sarajevo. Goodbye Zooropa (sad, but true.) Maybe goodbye Crazy Tonight. And of course I still really, really, really, really, really hope they don't end with Moment of Surrender.

this is a great thread and I suppose the guessing would continue until the minute U2 gets on stage... for what its worth, I am guessing U2 would play something like this and yes I am messing around:

1. Beautiful Day
2. I Will Follow
3. Out of Control
4. Gloria or Electric Co
5. I Still Havent Found What Im Looking For
6. One (without Beyonce please! I cant bear the thought of her wrecking that song so Id leave it well alone and let the boys do the work.)
7. Glastonbury (unlikely but you never know) or Zooropa
8. Even Better Than The Real Thing (with special guests Australian tribute band
9. New Year's Day
10. Sunday Bloody Sunday
11. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
12. the rarely played but dying to hear it live - Desire/Hawkmoon 269
13. Bad
14. Love is Blindness
15. When Love Comes To Town (with BB King) which would be cool or failing that, All I Want Is You
16. Kite
17. The Fly
18. Vertigo
19. City of Blinding Lights
20. Gone
21. Running to Stand Still/Where The Streets Have No Name (aka Zoo TV version)

Encore:
22. New song (it is inconceivable, dont you think, that U2 would spring a surprise new song since they tried to premier "Glastonbury" last year but didnt due to Bono's back injury?)
23. Ultra Violet (Light My Way (Zoo TV version - it sounds better than the 360 version IMO)
24. With Or Without You
25. Every Breaking Wave (yes I know a controversial song to choose so close to the ending but hey why not?)
26. 40 (I agree with some interferencers here that this is the perfect song to end one of the biggest gigs in U2's career

there you go.. thats my penny's worth for a predicted setlist for the special night its bound to be.. but aaagh, Im in Croatia at the moment for a long break which means I cant watch it here on TV (as far as Im aware, its on BBC only) so I am still hoping for a way to watch it on the internet, any ideas?

Note that I havent included Bad in the first place so I have slotted it in...

LOL opening with Beautiful Day? I don't think they're going to do that again anytime soon. :lol: If anything, I reckon EBTTRT will also open Glasto.

I'm definitely expecting THe Fly to make an appearance there. Not sure where, but that 2nd slot seems to be the best bet. Just make it an AB combo and then run into IWF/OOC/NYD and the rest of the set.

Bono said after it got cancelled last year they were planning on opening with Streets, so i think that will be the case this time around aswell, especially considering the reception it received last year when Edge/Muse played it, the audience went nuts once the drums kicked in.

I certainly don't think we'll see a 360 tour like setlist, more of a mixed-up greatest hit setlist, with a few rare gems threw in and a couple of surprises. Looking forward to seeing U2 out of their comfort zone though, as it normally brings the best out of them.

I really don't think they'll open with Streets this year.

The vibe about U2 headlining couldn't be more different to last year - and I think they'd be somewhat aware of that then and now. And they seem to have grown a bit in confidence since then - the sting of the No Line failure is another year gone. That plus I think the Edge/Muse performance last year shifted what Streets will be this year. People are looking forward to it genuinely. Last year I think opening with it was meant to be a bit of a throwdown. It wasn't just for a big opening, but a kind of 'fuck you' by dumping their most famous/best live song first and then getting on with it.

This year I think that's not really needed. The vibe is very, very different to last year. Streets was the last thing people heard 'from U2' (if you know what I mean) so shouldn't be the first thing they hear this year, and it was a real highlight of the whole weekend last year, and because of that people are genuinely excited about hearing it full-strength from U2-proper this year. Would have been awesome for them to open with it in 2010, but a mistake to open with it in 2011, and I don't think they will.

I think it's about 70/30 whether we'll see a straight 360 set with a few songs switched in/out here and there, or something that is still 90% 360 songs, with a very different running order. I'm hoping for the latter.

I can see Streets opening the set at Glasto. Its the best opening they have. (Zoo Station isn't right without Zoo TV). I could also see The Fly coming back. I still have hope for some rare stuff.

to be honest i think the chances of them cutting songs just for the sake of time constraints is very slim.

I'd just like to point out that back at the start of this thread, when we were talking about their 2010 spot - so over a year ago - a bunch of us are saying that they really, really should open with Even Better Than the Real Thing, then crash straight into an early 80s hit (I Will Follow/New Years Day.)

Good work kids. Way to predict!

Concertime: around 1:50 hrs

1) Streets
2) EBTTRT
3) I will follow
4) New years day / Out of control
5) Magnificent
6) MW
7) Elevation
8) Untill the end of the world
9) ISHFWILF
10) BD