U2 360 Set List - what do you think?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizkitgto

Acrobat
I've sensing there's a lot of mixed feelings around the set list, I'm sure it will change/evolve as the show goes on. I wasn't at the show and won't see it until September, based on the reviews and reactions it seems the set list had too many slow songs, and UF/Ultraviolet were the highlights.

What does everyone think?

basing this opinion on not being there and only listening to some sound and looking at some clips....the set list should maybe do this.....again only my opinion...haven't been there...still plan to go...still would go if this was the list.....

1. Breathe
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (lose this anything else)
7. Angel Of Harlem / Man In The Mirror (snippet) / Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough (snippet) (not horrible but I want another song) (drowning man here?)
8. In A Little While (not sold)
9. Unknown Caller
10. The Unforgettable Fire
11. City Of Blinding Lights
12. Vertigo
13. Crazy Tonight (not sold on this remix but i haven't heard it enough)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday (not sold)
15. Pride ( Electrical Storm)
16. MLK
17. Walk On

Encore:
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. One Hate to say it, but with the mess up and the long fuckin speech before it….(its already been done Bono) Bad would be great here.
20. Ultra Violet
21. With Or Without You
22. Moment Of Surrender

I've sensing there's a lot of mixed feelings around the set list,

You'll come to find out that no set list will ever satisfy this group. NEVER.

They will always be too short, too hits heavy, too many rarities, too new album heavy, don't vary enough, they didn't play my favorite song, they didn't play enough old stuff, not enough 90's ETC, ETC, ETC, ETC...

Many even hated PopMart's set list :shocked:

And Streets and Ultraviolet are not "very slow" songs.

the way i look at it, you can't truly judge a setlist until you see the show in person.

with that said, i'm happy with how it looks on paper and sounds on the bootleg.

I like most of it. This is from watching clips, and listening to the bootleg two times.

The suprises: UV, and UF are great. UV sounds awesome. hope it stays the whole tour. They need on more rare song though. Really like to see Drowning Man, or really just one more song that is not played every tour. Really need Electrical Storm for a rocking song. I also would love to see them replace Angel or IALW with IFGWSHA.

New Songs:
New songs sound good, and will be fine with the exception of crazy tonight. hopefully it gets fixed fast or dropped- its terrible.
Unknown Caller- Sound great. Highlight for me. Bono needs to shut up, but thats never going to happen. At least he was quiet for the solo. The weak parts, the barked text message lines sound much better live. The need to fix the ending, that was the only problem.
The rest are good (even boots sounds ok), but i'm not sold on MOS as closer. I love the song, just not sure about it last. I think it would be better to have Bad close.

Warhorses:
Still Haven't Found, Pride, and SBS are snoozefests. Sound pretty boring- play anything else. I really wish they would fix the ending of WOWOY, i still want to hear it but they need to really play it. I am finally starting to see why many want it shelved. I still prefer it to the other three i mentioned, even in its weak form. Need to play Bad. It always sounds good, and its way better than any of the other oldies they keep dragging out.

The one problem with one is the speech after streets. They have Streets, highlight of every u2 show, and then come to a screeching halt with a speech and then one. They need to fix the flow of that section.

From what I have read, heard and seen (i.e. not in any way comparable to being there):

1. Need to remove the space-chat segment because it kills the momentum/mood
2. Breathe isn't the best opener, so perhaps Magnificent would be better (or even GOYB?)
3. Tutu segment prior to Streets is a momentum killer. Streets is better with another track seguing into it (Bad, RTSS, AIWIY, Please)
4. Moment of Surrender is a song I am ambivalent about but hoped it could be the Love is Blindness of this tour. Unfortunately the crowd seemed disinterested.
5. Add a couple of all-out rockers (Electric Co, UTEOTW, The Fly, Gone, Electrical Storm, New York, Dirty Day, Wire, Exit etc. etc.)
6. The masks need to go. I admire the sentiment but the song is tribute enough - the masks are tacky, awkward and a bit weird.
7. Claw & screens seem under-utilised for songs like GOYB & Vertigo...

I like most of it. This is from watching clips, and listening to the bootleg two times.

The suprises: UV, and UF are great. UV sounds awesome. hope it stays the whole tour. They need on more rare song though. Really like to see Drowning Man, or really just one more song that is not played every tour. Really need Electrical Storm for a rocking song. I also would love to see them replace Angel or IALW with IFGWSHA.

New Songs:
New songs sound good, and will be fine with the exception of crazy tonight. hopefully it gets fixed fast or dropped- its terrible.
Unknown Caller- Sound great. Highlight for me. Bono needs to shut up, but thats never going to happen. At least he was quiet for the solo. The weak parts, the barked text message lines sound much better live. The need to fix the ending, that was the only problem.
The rest are good (even boots sounds ok), but i'm not sold on MOS as closer. I love the song, just not sure about it last. I think it would be better to have Bad close.

Warhorses:
Still Haven't Found, Pride, and SBS are snoozefests. Sound pretty boring- play anything else. I really wish they would fix the ending of WOWOY, i still want to hear it but they need to really play it. I am finally starting to see why many want it shelved. I still prefer it to the other three i mentioned, even in its weak form. Need to play Bad. It always sounds good, and its way better than any of the other oldies they keep dragging out.

The one problem with one is the speech after streets. They have Streets, highlight of every u2 show, and then come to a screeching halt with a speech and then one. They need to fix the flow of that section.

all of your comments are spot on....i say replace one with bad. Honestly, i can deal with one speech, not two.

I still hope for the day when U2 will play a 30 song set list and stay on stage for 3 hours or more ala New Jerseys favorite son.

looks fine to me,they'll probably change it up throw out stuff that does'nt work,
once they get to Pasadena the the show should be in top form,
Holy Geeze i can't wait!

I still hope for the day when U2 will play a 30 song set list and stay on stage for 3 hours or more ala New Jerseys favorite son.

Stop living in the 80's man Brucie does not do 3hr sets anymore!

I was there last night and U2 played for 2hrs 22mins which is almost unheard of for a band on such a big tour

I think U2 should turn a page and really consider dropping Pride, WOWY, SBS, & One. Replace them with Bad, Elevation/The Fly/UTEOTW/, & Kite/AIWIY. I think Walk On could and in ways is the new Pride.

These songs have been played so much the past 3-4 tours the performances look identical to the DVD's & movies (U2 3D) they release in which the masses have seen. I know its many peoples 1st show but they have many other great songs to replace tired warhorses. U2 looks bored playing them (assuming here :) )

This it the first time ever that the first setlist of the tour doesn't work for me at all. I've disliked some of the setlists in the past (namely Elevation Tour 3rd leg and some Vertigo 3rd leg shows), but rarely has an entire original concept been as worrysome as it is now for me. The notable two exceptions are Ultra Violet and The Unforgettable Fire, whose comeback is one of the true highlights in recent live history.

As many have mentioned, the lack of rocking songs is alarming. Listening to the bootleg (which admittedly is hardly a good medium to evaluate a show), the show kinda lacks punch with its constant mellow feel. The classics that have stayed in the setlist are by far the most tired warhorses (I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Pride), while the classics that somehow stayed fresh over the years (New Year's Day, Until the End of the World) are as of now neglected. Songs like In a Little While, MLK or Angel of Harlem do not fit IMO to the overall spectacular design of the show that is dying to see some Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, The Fly, Mysterious Ways (full electric) or Discotheque in it. The Beautiful Day-Still Haven't Found or COBL-Vertigo combo or the Desmond Tutu speech (human rights recycled) reminds me too much of the Vertigo Tour. I could go on, but I'm waiting to see how the show will evolve - hopefully for the better. Can't wait to see some Drowning Man action in there. In fact, the setlist would benefit a lot from all the other rehearsed songs excluding Elevation.

The classics that have stayed in the setlist are by far the most tired warhorses (I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Pride), while the classics that somehow stayed fresh over the years (New Year's Day, Until the End of the World) are as of now neglected. Songs like In a Little While, MLK or Angel of Harlem do not fit IMO to the overall spectacular design of the show that is dying to see some Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me, The Fly, Mysterious Ways (full electric) or Discotheque in it. The Beautiful Day-Still Haven't Found or COBL-Vertigo combo or the Desmond Tutu speech (human rights recycled) reminds me too much of the Vertigo Tour. I could go on, but I'm waiting to see how the show will evolve - hopefully for the better. Can't wait to see some Drowning Man action in there. In fact, the setlist would benefit a lot from all the other rehearsed songs excluding Elevation.

well said. i think the show will change somewhat in the next couple of months, hopefully the problem of the mellower songs will be solved.

I guess the only thing that's not flowing well is One > With or Without You > Moment of Surrender. But then again, One was screwed up; I've heard WOWY way too many times and sometimes I'm bored of it (but I'm sure that it would never bore me if I was actually at the concert) and this is the first time they play MOS in front of an audience.
In other words: let's wait.

1) Applaude to the old songs that were forgotten ("The unforgettable fire", "Ultraviolet"). Hopefully, "Dorwning man", IGWSHA and others will come too.

2) "With Or Without You" is wasted, more than "One", SBS or "Pride". "Still Haven't Found" follows the same path.

3) After litening several times, I'm definitely not a fan of the Crazy Tonight revamp. They could've make a new song based on that... and that'd be better because it was not CT.

4) "Breathe" was not build to open shows (it belongs to an encore or so...). Put NLOTH opening the shows or something similar.

5) I want to hear more songs fro NLOTH live, not only the same old tracks. I want to hear Fez-BB, WAS and even SUC live.

The only real problem with this setlist is the opening song. Breathe is an AWESOME tune, but it is NOT an opener. U2 have almost always been about a big, dramatic, drawn-out build up to the first song. The only real exception was Elevation, but I believe that was making a point about being stripped down (coming out with the house lights on, etc.) Every other time its all about a huge build to that first number, and you don't get that with the way they are doing it, nor with Breathe as a song itself. They need to seriously consider FEZ-Being Born as the opener - what an event that would be - or NLOTH, or even Boots. But not Breathe. Give us the huge opening we want, polish the rest of it up, and things are fine.

I agree with Breathe as not being the opener. I think Magnificnet would be a great opener. The Crazy remix is so so and I like the MOS/Bad closer combo.

How about ? :

1. Being Born
2. NLOTH
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. IGWSHA
8. Unknown Caller
9. The Unforgettable Fire
10. City Of Blinding Lights
11. Discotheque (or Desire - Full Band)
12. Crazy Tonight (Remix)
13. Breathe
14. SUC
15. Vertigo
16. Walk On
17. MLK

Encore:
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. Ultra Violet
20. WOWY

2nd Encore:
21. Bad
22. Moment Of Surrender

*Forgot Breathe and switched WOWY around. That is a pretty damn good setlist if I may say :)

How about ? :

1. Being Born
2. NLOTH
3. Get On Your Boots
4. Magnificent
5. Beautiful Day
6. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
7. IGWSHA
8. Unknown Caller
9. The Unforgettable Fire
10. City Of Blinding Lights
11. Discotheque (or Desire - Full Band)
12. Crazy Tonight
13. SUC
14. Vertigo
15. Walk On
16. MLK

Encore:
17. Where The Streets Have No Name
18. WOWY
19. Ultra Violet

2nd Encore:
20. Bad
21. Moment Of Surrender

Yeah, I like that a lot. I'd only switch UV and WOWY around. :up:

Several people early in this thread made some dead-on comments about what clearly needs to be changed. The satellite feed and the two Bono speeches clearly put a big halt in any momentum in the show.

Of the big classic tunes, I can live with Pride still in the set but Sunday Bloody Sunday needs a rest. They had the balls to shelve Bullet The Blue Sky and pretty much abandon the whole traditional middle segment of "dark" rock songs (usually SBS/Bullet and one other), SBS now awkwardly stands out just about anywhere it's played with the current group of songs.

The segment with Angel of Harlem could easily be built around other "fun" songs played acoustically, even just off the Rattle and Hum album, such as the one-off medley of Desire/Hawkmoon as played at one show in 2001.

The segue from the (awful) reworked version of Crazy Tonight into SBS is jarring to say the least.

I think the last 5 songs would work better arranged as Pride/MLK/Streets/Walk On/One.

I think if they improved and played NLOTH, it would work fine as the opening song. I think Breathe isn't a good choice and would be better served played towards the tail end of the main set, perhaps before SBS if that song is going to stay where it is. I think Breathe, paired with Drowning Man in place of SBS would be inspired. Throw in "Seconds" (which is still topical) with that trio and you have your new "dark songs" segment.

I can't find fault with either the placements or performances of TUF and Ultraviolet. Both great, welcome returning deep cuts but a bit telling that they are clearly among the biggest highlights of the set.

I think it's interesting that with all the pre-tour planning and rehearsing, easily eclipsing any of their previous tours, the setlist and some of the arrangements and performances of the new material is really in need of more work than virtually any tour since the Popmart tour.

I really hope Elevation is out of the set as it appears to be this tour.

T.B.

here's my track by track review of the bootleg:

Breathe - the song works well live, but i'm unsure about this as the opener. i still think Magnificent would work better, and GOYB to a lesser degree.

No Line On The Horizon - i was a little underwhelmed by the live version, but i think some of this is due to the quality of the original recording, where the guitars aren't very prominant. sounds like the crowd was pretty into it, so i'll assume it worked well.

Get On Your Boots - LOVE the intro. WOW! as usual, this song kicks major ass.

Magnificent - as i said earlier, this song should open the show. even though it flopped as a single, it's still more familiar than Breathe to the casual fans.

Beautiful Day - works perfect here and that new intro is :drool:. hope they add the Blackbird snippet.

Still Haven't Found... - played well, one of those songs that don't really excite you when reading setlists, but it always feels good in person.

Angel Of Harlem - one of those songs that made me cringe when i saw they were rehearsing it, but it worked really well last night, and those MJ snippets were done very well.

In A Little While - sounded great. good song. just not sure it fits this spot or the show though. it pains me to say that too.

Space Chat - it's a cool concept, i just hope that going forward, they shorten this up a little. a couple reports say that it killed the momentum.

Unknown Caller - talk about getting the momentum back! this is one of the new songs i really wanted to hear live, and it didn't disappoint. The Edge will be fine, and the outro works so well! :up: :up: :up:

Unforgettable Fire - :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

City Of Blinding Lights - completes the best trio of the show, though i wish the band would find a way to segue UF into COBL. it would only add more emotion.

Vertigo - sounds as energetic as ever. great performance. like Edge's guitar tone at the beginning.

Crazy Tonight - for me, one of the early highlights. it's just so dark and different from the album version. i sure hope they don't drop this by the time Chicago comes around.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - yeap. it was played well. one of those songs that i'll enjoy when i'm in person.

Pride - see "Sunday Bloody Sunday"

MLK - great singing Bono!

Walk On - other than the whole mask thing, the song sounds great. the outro is very cool.

Where The Streets Have No Name love the fact that the red lights are back. i do wonder if the Desmond Tutu speech is just a Europe thing, and US will get something different?

One - oops! LOL! i'm sure this song will be fine. Bono, just keep the speeches under 20 minutes, ok?

Ultraviolet - see "Unforgettable Fire"

With Or Without You - i really do hope the band learns to play this song with emotion again some day.

Moment Of Surrender - i know some people said it was a little flat as a closer. personally, i thought it sounded fine, and i do believe it will only get better with age.

Overall, i give the set a B-. i believe the band will only get tighter, and they'll start figuring out the right transitions and flow. this definitely has the making of a great set!

I agree some of the warhorses need to be dropped, and I agree there needs to be some more punch to the show. I also think this stage design is begging for more 90s stuff.

Fez-Being Born
No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Beautiful Day
Lemon(rotate with If God Will Send His Angels and In A Little While)
Unknown Caller
Drowning Man(rotate with A Sort Of Homecoming)
The Unforgettable Fire
City Of Blinding Lights
Vertigo
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me(rotate with Mysterious Ways)
Mofo
Please
MLK/Walk On
One

Even Better Than The Real Thing(rotate with Discotheque)
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Breathe

Ultraviolet(Light My Way)
Where The Streets Have No Name
Bad(rotate with Kite)
Moment Of Surrender

Stop living in the 80's man Brucie does not do 3hr sets anymore!

I was there last night and U2 played for 2hrs 22mins which is almost unheard of for a band on such a big tour

I fear your wrong saw him 3 times in the last year July 2008 was 3 hours and 20 minutes Hershey 3 hours and last month in State College was 3 hours exactly. Go to backstreets.com and check the setlists at least 27-28 songs per night. While I am a diehard U2 fan in my opinion Bruce is the greatest act in rock. Whens the last time you saw U2 go into the audience and take requests. Bruce plays about 4 songs a night just taking signs from the audience alone. Hope you get to see him some time. Plus his most expensive ticket is $95.00 which is cheaper than U@'s most expensive. While U2 played 22 songs last night Bruce played 28 and he's 59 years old. Dont take this wrong as I am a Huge U2 fan but your stats are wrong. Plus I wish it was the 80's could see the Joshua Tree tour again.

I had no problem at all initially with them keeping some of their setlist staples (SBS, Pride, One), and I understand they're keeping them in their for popularity purposes, and yes, they are great anthemic songs to rock out to in stadiums. But after listening back to the bootleg a few times, and especially to the Crazy Tonight remix, I think I'm venturing over to the side that wouldn't mind dropping them, or at least revamping/reworking them. The stage set-up is so new, the new songs are refreshing...the entire package screams re-innovation. I know it's completely unrealistic to wish for a revamping of EVERY song, and I'm not asking that, but...I don't know, I'm just holding out hope for a show where I actually won't skip Pride. :D Anyway, I know nothing can really be done about it, but just my two cents.

I really don't get FEZ-Being Born as the opener at all. The only thing that has any pop to get the crowd going is Bono's "OOOHHH!"s. Once the actual song starts, it's very calm and groovy, like Breathe after the big chords in the beginning. Not at all energetic enough to start a show. NLOTH, as they are playing it now is not even close to good enough to open. They really toned it down from the album version, I don't know why.

I honestly don't know what could be a good opener. I agree that Magnificent and GOYB would probably both be better than Breathe though. Magnificent is also not overly rocking, but the song is probably the most popular off NLOTH and would get a lot of people excited upon seeing the lights all dim and then the claw just flashes bright light when Adam's bass thunders in. Boots w/the extended intro would be good too, because it builds up and then the song blasts off, its quick, its loud, its fun, it allows the crowd to jump and get some energy off the get go.

Back
Top Bottom