Transitions. Mini-Movements - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Transitions. Mini-Movements

U2's live show has always seemed to have the great "mini-movements" as Edge calls them. Units of songs that really flow well, and make for definitive sections. They have some of their best live moments this way (AIWIY->Streets, Bad-Streets, Bullet-Running-Streets, UTEOTW-NYD, LAPOE-- SBS-Bullet, October-NYD, Threw a Brick- A Day W/out me, and Loads more).

Listening to the bootlegs of the tour thus far, what happened to these great transitions? Every song seems to just end, and then they next starts, with little to no transition. There seems like real potential with songs like UC-UF-COBL for this to happen, but so far nothing. Will they come in time, or has U2 abandoned this practice? This is not a bitch about the setlist, but more why are they not doing something they have always been so great at? I love those part of the shows in the past, and am kind of shocked there aren't any right now. Where can they make some of these happen? In time they may come, and just aren't there yet.

Breathe-> Nloth: None
Nloth-> Boots: None, Cool intro for Boots, but no transition.
Boots-> Magnificent: None
Speech-> Beautiful Day: Cool no introduction for BD. Like this new beginning, but no transition between songs.
BD- Still Haven't.. : None
ISHFWILF-> Angel of Harlem: None
Angel-> In A Little While: None
UC-> UF: None.
UF-> COBL : None.
COBL-> Vertigo. None
Vertigo-> Crazy: None.
Crazy-> SBS: Fade out of prerecorded singing / SBS comes in over the top. Decent transition, but pretty weak compared to past ones. LAPOE weems
SBS-> Pride: None.
Pride-> MLK. Crowd takes over singing, and then MLK bleeds in. Could be a pretty cool transition, but Bono talks over it, dedicating it for Aung. Not really a much of a transition.
MLK-> Walkon. None
Walk On-> Streets. None. This could have been really cool, with a more drawn out version of the Super bowl. Missed a good opportunity on this one. Tutu Speech serves as Intro to Streets, so no song to song.
Streets-> One. None.
UV-> Wowy. None
Wowy-> MOS. None.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Did U2 have all their fancy transitions and segues down after 4 shows on their previous tours?

Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Did U2 have all their fancy transitions and segues down after 4 shows on their previous tours?
actually, they did. Listen to the openingnight of zootv or popmart

That being said: I AM a happy camper. Just listed to the Milan bootleg and with the acception of the incredible WEAK Moment of Surrender which will never EVER be a highlight of any rockshow by any band this was a very convincing concert by the guys. The crowd wasn't bad either (understatement). Bono sounds absolutely fantastic in some parts
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 01:13 AM
Great initial post, although this is disheartening news. When they put on massive outdoor shows like this, it really adds a lot to have those transitions. So many golden opportunities with this set list too...
Old 07-11-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 05:13 AM

I'm still wondering if I'm the only one immature enough to giggle a little inside about the term "mini-movements."
Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
The missing transition thing is true, but I didn't mind very much. I don't think U2 were really trying hard to have any transitions this time. You don't find them in other concerts as well. I think the show still worked very well. What I liked and what made the audience pretty crazy is the "transition" Crazy-SBS. The mood at that point of the show is just incredible. I think U2 are going more for atmospheric sequences this time.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwervers2 View Post
That being said: I AM a happy camper. Just listed to the Milan bootleg and with the acception of the incredible WEAK Moment of Surrender which will never EVER be a highlight of any rockshow by any band this was a very convincing concert by the guys. The crowd wasn't bad either (understatement). Bono sounds absolutely fantastic in some parts
I know you hate MOS, which I cannot understand, but you're wrong here, it's not weak at all, actually MOS is a very special moment when you're actually at the show, it's almost eerie, very spiritual, and a beautiful way to end the show, especially with the opera songs they played when the show was over. It's not right to make a judgement solely based on bootlegs or videos, they just don't do the actual experience justice. It was incredible when we were there. MOS is a strong song, maybe it still needs a little work here and there, and what I don't understand is why Bono's always leaving out the "God do not deny her" part, but the second verse when he goes into the "longing to get back" verse is just incredibly moving and beautiful, you have to watch his body language and all to understand what the song means to him and probably the whole band. I'm so glad they decided to play this song live, it's a challenge, especially for Bono to sing it.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
I know you hate MOS, which I cannot understand, but you're wrong here, it's not weak at all, actually MOS is a very special moment when you're actually at the show, it's almost eerie, very spiritual, and a beautiful way to end the show, especially with the opera songs they played when the show was over. It's not right to make a judgement solely based on bootlegs or videos, they just don't do the actual experience justice. It was incredible when we were there. MOS is a strong song, maybe it still needs a little work here and there, and what I don't understand is why Bono's always leaving out the "God do not deny her" part, but the second verse when he goes into the "longing to get back" verse is just incredibly moving and beautiful, you have to watch his body language and all to understand what the song means to him and probably the whole band. I'm so glad they decided to play this song live, it's a challenge, especially for Bono to sing it.
All it needs really is an improved bass sound.

For some reason the effect on the bass for that song live falls flat.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
All it needs really is an improved bass sound.

For some reason the effect on the bass for that song live falls flat.
Bono needs to phrase the song properly...I think they slowed it down a little bit, and then Bono tried to squeeze the words in closer together....it doesn't work nearly as well as the studio version.....instead of "I tied myself with wire," he is singing "Itiemyselfwithwire" ....I realize that makes almost no sense and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about...but I seriously do not understand this change....It doesn't allow Bono to soar as much in the verses.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
Bono needs to phrase the song properly...I think they slowed it down a little bit, and then Bono tried to squeeze the words in closer together....it doesn't work nearly as well as the studio version.....instead of "I tied myself with wire," he is singing "Itiemyselfwithwire" ....I realize that makes almost no sense and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about...but I seriously do not understand this change....It doesn't allow Bono to soar as much in the verses.
Yea, Bono phrases differently live a lot and it does not always work anyway.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:

Yeah, that transition from Staring at the Sun (Complete cock-up mix) to Staring at the Sun (Mediocre flop mix) was spectacular!
Old 07-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Yeah, that transition from Staring at the Sun (Complete cock-up mix) to Staring at the Sun (Mediocre flop mix) was spectacular!
this.
Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
New Yorker

Quote:

That being said: I AM a happy camper. Just listed to the Milan bootleg and with the acception of the incredible WEAK Moment of Surrender which will never EVER be a highlight of any rockshow
Interstingly.........i remember thinking the very same thing after hearing Walk On live fir the first few times. It really was poisoin to my ear. Suffice to say, it went on to be one of my fave ever live u2 tracks!!