Transitions. Mini-Movements - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #1
Refugee
 
jphelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: cumming, ga usa
Posts: 1,445
Local Time: 12:13 AM
Transitions. Mini-Movements

U2's live show has always seemed to have the great "mini-movements" as Edge calls them. Units of songs that really flow well, and make for definitive sections. They have some of their best live moments this way (AIWIY->Streets, Bad-Streets, Bullet-Running-Streets, UTEOTW-NYD, LAPOE-- SBS-Bullet, October-NYD, Threw a Brick- A Day W/out me, and Loads more).

Listening to the bootlegs of the tour thus far, what happened to these great transitions? Every song seems to just end, and then they next starts, with little to no transition. There seems like real potential with songs like UC-UF-COBL for this to happen, but so far nothing. Will they come in time, or has U2 abandoned this practice? This is not a bitch about the setlist, but more why are they not doing something they have always been so great at? I love those part of the shows in the past, and am kind of shocked there aren't any right now. Where can they make some of these happen? In time they may come, and just aren't there yet.

Breathe-> Nloth: None
Nloth-> Boots: None, Cool intro for Boots, but no transition.
Boots-> Magnificent: None
Speech-> Beautiful Day: Cool no introduction for BD. Like this new beginning, but no transition between songs.
BD- Still Haven't.. : None
ISHFWILF-> Angel of Harlem: None
Angel-> In A Little While: None
UC-> UF: None.
UF-> COBL : None.
COBL-> Vertigo. None
Vertigo-> Crazy: None.
Crazy-> SBS: Fade out of prerecorded singing / SBS comes in over the top. Decent transition, but pretty weak compared to past ones. LAPOE weems
SBS-> Pride: None.
Pride-> MLK. Crowd takes over singing, and then MLK bleeds in. Could be a pretty cool transition, but Bono talks over it, dedicating it for Aung. Not really a much of a transition.
MLK-> Walkon. None
Walk On-> Streets. None. This could have been really cool, with a more drawn out version of the Super bowl. Missed a good opportunity on this one. Tutu Speech serves as Intro to Streets, so no song to song.
Streets-> One. None.
UV-> Wowy. None
Wowy-> MOS. None.
__________________

jphelmet is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #2
Blue Crack Supplier
 
elevated_u2_fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: I'm here 'cus I don't want to go home
Posts: 31,887
Local Time: 01:13 AM
Did U2 have all their fancy transitions and segues down after 4 shows on their previous tours?
__________________

elevated_u2_fan is offline  
Old 07-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
zwervers2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Rotterdam
Posts: 4,158
Local Time: 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by elevated_u2_fan View Post
Did U2 have all their fancy transitions and segues down after 4 shows on their previous tours?
actually, they did. Listen to the openingnight of zootv or popmart

That being said: I AM a happy camper. Just listed to the Milan bootleg and with the acception of the incredible WEAK Moment of Surrender which will never EVER be a highlight of any rockshow by any band this was a very convincing concert by the guys. The crowd wasn't bad either (understatement). Bono sounds absolutely fantastic in some parts
zwervers2 is offline  
Old 07-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
New Yorker
 
bram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,498
Local Time: 01:13 AM
Great initial post, although this is disheartening news. When they put on massive outdoor shows like this, it really adds a lot to have those transitions. So many golden opportunities with this set list too...
bram is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:07 AM   #5
Refugee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,296
Local Time: 05:13 AM

I'm still wondering if I'm the only one immature enough to giggle a little inside about the term "mini-movements."
redhill is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:34 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 06:13 AM
The missing transition thing is true, but I didn't mind very much. I don't think U2 were really trying hard to have any transitions this time. You don't find them in other concerts as well. I think the show still worked very well. What I liked and what made the audience pretty crazy is the "transition" Crazy-SBS. The mood at that point of the show is just incredible. I think U2 are going more for atmospheric sequences this time.
last unicorn is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
Blue Crack Addict
 
last unicorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: lost in poetry
Posts: 19,446
Local Time: 06:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwervers2 View Post
That being said: I AM a happy camper. Just listed to the Milan bootleg and with the acception of the incredible WEAK Moment of Surrender which will never EVER be a highlight of any rockshow by any band this was a very convincing concert by the guys. The crowd wasn't bad either (understatement). Bono sounds absolutely fantastic in some parts
I know you hate MOS, which I cannot understand, but you're wrong here, it's not weak at all, actually MOS is a very special moment when you're actually at the show, it's almost eerie, very spiritual, and a beautiful way to end the show, especially with the opera songs they played when the show was over. It's not right to make a judgement solely based on bootlegs or videos, they just don't do the actual experience justice. It was incredible when we were there. MOS is a strong song, maybe it still needs a little work here and there, and what I don't understand is why Bono's always leaving out the "God do not deny her" part, but the second verse when he goes into the "longing to get back" verse is just incredibly moving and beautiful, you have to watch his body language and all to understand what the song means to him and probably the whole band. I'm so glad they decided to play this song live, it's a challenge, especially for Bono to sing it.
last unicorn is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:40 AM   #8
Refugee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,296
Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by last unicorn View Post
I know you hate MOS, which I cannot understand, but you're wrong here, it's not weak at all, actually MOS is a very special moment when you're actually at the show, it's almost eerie, very spiritual, and a beautiful way to end the show, especially with the opera songs they played when the show was over. It's not right to make a judgement solely based on bootlegs or videos, they just don't do the actual experience justice. It was incredible when we were there. MOS is a strong song, maybe it still needs a little work here and there, and what I don't understand is why Bono's always leaving out the "God do not deny her" part, but the second verse when he goes into the "longing to get back" verse is just incredibly moving and beautiful, you have to watch his body language and all to understand what the song means to him and probably the whole band. I'm so glad they decided to play this song live, it's a challenge, especially for Bono to sing it.
All it needs really is an improved bass sound.

For some reason the effect on the bass for that song live falls flat.
redhill is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Rob33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,420
Local Time: 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhill View Post
All it needs really is an improved bass sound.

For some reason the effect on the bass for that song live falls flat.
Bono needs to phrase the song properly...I think they slowed it down a little bit, and then Bono tried to squeeze the words in closer together....it doesn't work nearly as well as the studio version.....instead of "I tied myself with wire," he is singing "Itiemyselfwithwire" ....I realize that makes almost no sense and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about...but I seriously do not understand this change....It doesn't allow Bono to soar as much in the verses.
Rob33 is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:49 AM   #10
Refugee
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lehigh, FL, USA
Posts: 2,296
Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob33 View Post
Bono needs to phrase the song properly...I think they slowed it down a little bit, and then Bono tried to squeeze the words in closer together....it doesn't work nearly as well as the studio version.....instead of "I tied myself with wire," he is singing "Itiemyselfwithwire" ....I realize that makes almost no sense and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about...but I seriously do not understand this change....It doesn't allow Bono to soar as much in the verses.
Yea, Bono phrases differently live a lot and it does not always work anyway.
redhill is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 02:57 AM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
dan_smee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 13,111
Local Time: 03:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwervers2 View Post
actually, they did. Listen to the openingnight of zootv or popmart

That being said: I AM a happy camper. Just listed to the Milan bootleg and with the acception of the incredible WEAK Moment of Surrender which will never EVER be a highlight of any rockshow by any band this was a very convincing concert by the guys. The crowd wasn't bad either (understatement). Bono sounds absolutely fantastic in some parts
Yeah, that transition from Staring at the Sun (Complete cock-up mix) to Staring at the Sun (Mediocre flop mix) was spectacular!
dan_smee is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 06:29 AM   #12
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator
 
KhanadaRhodes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: a vampire in the limousine
Posts: 60,678
Local Time: 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_smee View Post
Yeah, that transition from Staring at the Sun (Complete cock-up mix) to Staring at the Sun (Mediocre flop mix) was spectacular!
this.
__________________
KhanadaRhodes is offline  
Old 07-11-2009, 06:52 AM   #13
New Yorker
 
gman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Highlands of Scotland
Posts: 2,570
Local Time: 05:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zwervers2 View Post
actually, they did. Listen to the openingnight of zootv or popmart

That being said: I AM a happy camper. Just listed to the Milan bootleg and with the acception of the incredible WEAK Moment of Surrender which will never EVER be a highlight of any rockshow
Interstingly.........i remember thinking the very same thing after hearing Walk On live fir the first few times. It really was poisoin to my ear. Suffice to say, it went on to be one of my fave ever live u2 tracks!!
__________________

gman is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Favourite Transitions dan_smee Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive 14 08-05-2008 09:00 AM
Amazing, Accidental iTunes-Caused Song Transitions LMP Lemonade Stand Archive 16 03-14-2007 08:04 AM
IO: The Mini Mammoth lives! Meghan It's Official Archive 4 08-01-2006 01:10 AM
Movie posters, Autograph and Promo stuff FS Serenity, Ultraviolet ocean1 All I Want Is U2 1 03-07-2006 03:50 AM
U2 and mini iPods for sale. octobermagic All I Want Is U2 15 01-07-2005 11:48 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com
×