Too much claw, not enough body! - Complaints about the setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yes, being able to stray from a setlist is an important part of being an artist. When the cards are pre-determined, it's not art anymore!

I usually just read these kinds of threads and not respond
to them, but I couldn't resist this quote. I completely
disagree with what you're saying, daveydave. The idea
that throwing out songs randomly is somehow a sign
of artistry is just absurd.
And I'd like to cite an example
of a band that has been brought up many times on this
board: Nine Inch Nails.

I've been to 20+ NIN show in the last 3 years, and, for the
most part, NIN setlists tend to be static. Even with a static set,
Trent Reznor (& whoever is end the band at the moment)
is incredibly artistic. The shows are full of energy, the staging
and lighting are mindblowingly beautiful, and the songs are
performed well. At the end of the day, I think that being able
to do all of that while performing the same songs night after
night is an incredible show of artistic merit.

I'm done.

It's always the same people policing the forum unaddressed by moderators , and those posters are telling people what they can and can't say.

Yeah, I've been harsh at times, it's my personality, jusy like BVS is a dick, but I've been not without a point I think. Many will disagree which is fine. It's miniscule.....

I wish all the best, but I have way more to spend time on than my favorite band than on an internet forum.

Especially when I've had first hand contact with someone who was part of the NLOTH sessions....who else here can say that? Yeah, I'm bragging. Can you say that BVS? You wish.

I've noticed the policing people post at least 10 times a day here. Pathetic.

I am done here folks. Carry on. You won't miss me and vice versa....

I will always love U2. But this place has become a nightmare.

Yes, I won't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out.

Peace.

For the record, I haven't been to the show yet. Washington, DC is still 2 months away.

I've been looking at the setlists and admiring the YouTube clips, and let me say a few things first:

1. The performances are fucking ace. The band is truly sounding better than before. It feels good to know that a high note is coming up and just knowing in the back of your head that Bono's gonna hit it. I remember on Elevation, whenever the big high note would come up, I would close my eyes and cross my fingers, hoping. Not anymore. Bono is in top form, vocally.

2. I'm not "slamming" the setlists. Obviously I like all of these songs (well, most of them anyway. I have to admit I'm probably one of the only U2 "diehards" who doesn't like Pride at all, not even on the album, but hey, you can't please everybody all the time). Anyway, I'm not slamming the setlists. I'm sure I'm going to go to the show, watch them play Beautiful Day for the ten thousandth time, and I'm sure I'm going to feel like I'm walking on air.

It's just a topic of conversation. I think the setlist could use a little more cohesiveness. I think it could also use more songs that fit the "vibe" of the show and the new album, with the staging and whatnot. The staging screams "Zoo TV" and "PopMart" but the setlists say "Live at the Astoria".

I don't mind a stagnant setlist at all. Some people are so spoiled by the internet. Back before the internet days, bands used to play the same set every night because every single one of their fans wasn't following every single show. I don't mind the setlist not changing, save for one or two songs, I just think the setlist could use a few touch ups.

Besides, I'm not sure why people are surprised that the setlist isn't changing very much. First of all, with a production this big, to drastically change the setlist frequently would be a logistical nightmare. Second of all, Edge gave an interview months before the tour even started specifically stating that only two or three songs would change nightly.

I'm not surprised at all.

Carnival,
The site flies and the threads spin,
all night and day
Set list whine that punctures the brain
Screen to screen
In a dry and humorless place

What's your Avatar thing from Mr No Spoken Words, looks very familiar, can't quite figure out from what though?

------------------------------------

I was defending the setlists in the last thread, but then I saw that dreaded Amsterdam II setlist and it was just ghastly from my point of view. Revival of End Of World and Elevation and no Unforgettable Fire! No thankya U2.

I adore New Years Day and am glad it's back, kinda would prefer something like a Seconds or an 11 O'Clock or an Electrico or something though. Same goes for IWF. Don't really want it in there personally.

It almost seems as if they're trying to make it safer, though the soundchecking of Eleca Storm and Drowning Man provides hope for the hardcores.

ok I dont know if this ever crosses anyone's mind around here but...

they actually have to PLAY the songs you guys are wanting from this setlist.

Its not an easy task. It takes years to practice and get things down for a live crowd. Hell, Im a mentalist/ magician and it has taken me 4 years just to perfect a single act! To just snap your fingers and think that the band will somehow be able to pull together a song they havent played in years is ridiculous. They are not our servants, WE ARE LUCKYthat they are even sharing their music with us. The beatles stopped playing live just when they were getting good! and yet U2 comes to your town to share the music that made them who they are.

and on another note... When we get used to something it ceases to impress us, but do the setlist complainers realize that they are playing Ultraviolet and Unforgettable Fire (not to mention ES at times)! I mean just because they are playing it every night doesn't dilute the significance that U2 are actually playing these songs. If one of those showed up on Vertigo tour, this place would go crazy (if we dont go crazy tonight... sorry couldnt resist)... yet they are playing these songs every night FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT. jeez guys show a little respect towards the band. Its not easy to put on a show.

just my $ 0.02

Yes, thanks to people like you.

The tour seems to bring out so much negativity in people.
I didn't follow the setlist last night and will stay away from these setlists thread and most other threads in the tour forum for the rest of the tour.
I love U2 and they continue to be a source of joy for me personally, so I won't let it be spoild by the negativity here. I think the forum has reached a new low in many of these threads.
People telling other people what they should like and not like and if they are "real" fans or not, personally offending people ... I don't think that's what a band like U2 would like to read or here. It's a shame.
And for the setlist: I think the set is great. And all the comparisions are useless, because U2 is U2 and they chose to play what they want to play. Most other bands and artists stick to their setlists, even though it sometimes doesn't seem like that. Many forget that there is a lot of technical stuff involved, especially in U2's case, that can only work if a setllist is more or less fixed.
The tours that many on this board hail as U2's greatest, namely Zoo and PopMart, were very static in their setlists.
Casual concert goers don't care if the band played certain songs before in a different city or if they will play them again for their next show, they go to a U2 show and have an unforgettable night full of great music.
The segue
Sunday Bloody Sunday > Pride > Walk On > Streets > One > Bad
is the best U2 have ever done. They would be stupid to shake that one up. I'm glad One is finally back at the spot it's supposed to be, it just didn't feel right in the first half of the show.
Ok, have fun in the thread, I guess you'll see many more like that popping up when the tour continues.

I say we make ONE thread called the "Tour complaints & Negativity Thread" and anyone who wants to rant about something can just do that in there. I think most of the sane people on here though will stay away from it so everyone else can have their brawl and anger fit in the negative thread.

... Im serious... i think it would be a good idea. We would get rid of all these spawns of complaint threads.

Mods?

Yes, thanks to people like you.

The tour seems to bring out so much negativity in people.
I didn't follow the setlist last night and will stay away from these setlists thread and most other threads in the tour forum for the rest of the tour.
I love U2 and they continue to be a source of joy for me personally, so I won't let it be spoild by the negativity here. I think the forum has reached a new low in many of these threads.
People telling other people what they should like and not like and if they are "real" fans or not, personally offending people ... I don't think that's what a band like U2 would like to read or here. It's a shame.
And for the setlist: I think the set is great. And all the comparisions are useless, because U2 is U2 and they chose to play what they want to play. Most other bands and artists stick to their setlists, even though it sometimes doesn't seem like that. Many forget that there is a lot of technical stuff involved, especially in U2's case, that can only work if a setllist is more or less fixed.
The tours that many on this board hail as U2's greatest, namely Zoo and PopMart, were very static in their setlists.
Casual concert goers don't care if the band played certain songs before in a different city or if they will play them again for their next show, they go to a U2 show and have an unforgettable night full of great music.
The segue
Sunday Bloody Sunday > Pride > Walk On > Streets > One > Bad
is the best U2 have ever done. They would be stupid to shake that one up. I'm glad One is finally back at the spot it's supposed to be, it just didn't feel right in the first half of the show.
Ok, have fun in the thread, I guess you'll see many more like that popping up when the tour continues.

It just like the last 2 tours Unicorn, we have the same threads bitching about the setlist, we have the same people coming into other threads to bitch about the setlist, nothing has changed, to me i am not going to a "show" to think about what I want to hear, i am going to the show to have a bloody good night out with my favorite band, something which i can only do once every 4-5 years if i am lucky, so i am certainly not going to spoil it by worrying if they will play some of my favorite songs that they are not currently playing, i am a U2 fan, i like U2's music, thats enough for me to have a good time.

I'm done.

It's always the same people policing the forum unaddressed by moderators , and those posters are telling people what they can and can't say.

Yeah, I've been harsh at times, it's my personality, jusy like BVS is a dick, but I've been not without a point I think. Many will disagree which is fine. It's miniscule.....

I wish all the best, but I have way more to spend time on than my favorite band than on an internet forum.

Especially when I've had first hand contact with someone who was part of the NLOTH sessions....who else here can say that? Yeah, I'm bragging. Can you say that BVS? You wish.

I've noticed the policing people post at least 10 times a day here. Pathetic.

I am done here folks. Carry on. You won't miss me and vice versa....

Yes, I won't let the door hit me in the ass on the way out.

Peace.

And another one gone who writes with taste and humor.
Way to go people :up:

Give it 2/3 years and this place is dead. A damn shame if you ask me.

BVS: you are clearly one of the more clever people here but try to see things from a different perspective sometimes because your comments can be easily interpreted as someone lecturing at a university. the "I talk, you sit and shut up"method . At least you have some sort of sense of humor thank God, unlike some of the whinny narrowminded sad people here.

Have a great day everyone and look outside your little comfortzone, it is very refreshing sometimes not to defend but to debate.

I loved the concert but this is how the setlist could have been(not should have been), maybe Bono and co will read it one day. Oh well.. :lol:

0. Intro
1. Magnificent
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Breathe
4. Get On Your Boots
5. Elec. co/ OOC/ IWF/ 11 oclock
6. Beautiful Day
7. A sort of homecomming/ I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. Unknown Caller
9. Drowning man
10. Unforgettable Fire
11. City of Blinding Lights
12. Vertigo
13. I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (Remix)
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16. MLK
17. Walk On
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. One
20. Bad (how long to sing this song would seque BEAUTIFULLY into)
21. Electrical storm
22. Ultraviolet
23. Mysterious Ways/ UTEOTW
24. Moment Of Surrender

:heart:

Maybe someone should secretly replace their setlists with the "wish" setlist from the forum. :wink:

Seriously, you can't please everyone. I loved the shows I've been to and I'll love the shows I'm still going to. Of course there are songs I prefer over other songs, but I'm happy with whatever U2 chose to play. I think they don't play the songs until they're really 100% sure they work out, and I'm fine with their choices.

This setlist bullshit is so lame and worn out now. Did it escape people's notice that another 2 songs got added last night, NYD and Stay? Just let them do whatever they want, it's working out just fine.

I'm not sure what you mean by "policing", I'm just trying to engage people in thought out logical discussions. I'm not telling anyone what they can or cannot say. Yes my first response in here may have been harsh, but I just happen to be in this paticular forum when it popped up and it's been the 12th thread to say the same damn thing, and it wasn't paticularly thought out well.

JOFO I'm glad you had that first hand contact, that's awesome. I didn't think the way you went about "reporting" certain things after you had that experience to be paticularly awesome though. You honestly use to be one of my more favorite posters but something happen a few years ago and you became enragingly bitter, about everything, even the things you liked had a dull gray lining of bitterness written on it. If you really stay gone this time, I'm sorry to see you go.

He's said this before and came back, maybe he just needs the break...

BVS: you are clearly one of the more clever people here but try to see things from a different perspective sometimes because your comments can be easily interpreted as someone lecturing at a university. the "I talk, you sit and shut up"method . At least you have some sort of sense of humor thank God, unlike some of the whinny narrowminded sad people here.
Like I said earlier my first response was harsh I apologize but I stand by most of everything else I've said in here...

My biggest issue with the OP's stance is that U2 has been doing this this way for decades, yet for some reason now all of a sudden they have become less musicians and less artistic, that doesn't hold a lot of water with me.

I'm willing to bet if he liked the setlist if it had all the songs HE/SHE wanted to hear they wouldn't even mind the more static setlist.

Im fine with the setlist except the first 4 songs, a good old rocker needs to be 3rd or 2nd in there, like UTEOTW or Fly, something like that, GOYB has everything to be an opener, breathe fits perfect as an encore opener, they could of played this setlist last night as a tester:

1. Get on your boots
2. Vertigo
3. Until the end of the world
4. No Line On The Horizon
5. Magnificent
6. Beatiful Day
7. Kite
8. I still havnt found what im looking for
9. I will follow
10. Unforgettable Fire
11. New Years Day
12. City of Blinding Lights
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Breathe
16. Walk On
17. MLK
18. Where the streets have no name
19. All i want is you
20. Bad

21. Ultraviolet
22. One
23. Momment of surrender

I mean not to hard, but plently of transitions and a good flow.

I know 2 songs were added last night- NYD (yet another warhorse) and an acoustic version of Stay. The words "so what" come to mind, at least for a purist. Perhaps if they add Mofo and A Sort Of Homecoming, there would be just cause for more enthusiasm. I welcome UV and TUF; we need more of those songs and fewer obvious choices, though enough to keep casual fans relatively happy. The stage set-up also screams out for more Pop material.

i am going to the show to have a bloody good night out with my favorite band, something which i can only do once every 4-5 years if i am lucky, so i am certainly not going to spoil it by worrying if they will play some of my favorite songs that they are not currently playing, i am a U2 fan, i like U2's music, thats enough for me to have a good time.

I´m with you 100000000000000% !!:up:

Fuck the setlists :rockon:

What does "WE need" mean?

Are "WE" at every show?

I don't think so.

Setlists aren't for a little minority of hardcore fans but for a wide audience. If U2 only played rarities, they could pack in their Claw, no more stadium shows.

Give it 2/3 years and this place is dead. A damn shame if you ask me.

Have a great day everyone and look outside your little comfortzone, it is very refreshing sometimes not to defend but to debate.

I loved the concert but this is how the setlist could have been(not should have been), maybe Bono and co will read it one day. Oh well.. :lol:

0. Intro
1. Magnificent
2. No Line On The Horizon
3. Breathe
4. Get On Your Boots
5. Elec. co/ OOC/ IWF/ 11 oclock
6. Beautiful Day
7. A sort of homecomming/ I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. Unknown Caller
9. Drowning man
10. Unforgettable Fire
11. City of Blinding Lights
12. Vertigo
14. Sunday Bloody Sunday
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16. MLK
17. Walk On
18. Where The Streets Have No Name
19. One
20. Bad (how long to sing this song would seque BEAUTIFULLY into)
21. Electrical storm
22. Ultraviolet
23. Mysterious Ways/ UTEOTW
24. Moment Of Surrender

:heart:

If only the band would listen to you, they might put on a decent concert and make something of themselves.

Sometimes, it's better to sit back and enjoy what you have than debate.

And, thank you for the lol moment of my day, referring to Jofo as a poster with taste and humor....that's code for "he agrees with me and I agree with him".

What does "WE need" mean?

Are "WE" at every show?

I don't think so.

Setlists aren't for a little minority of hardcore fans but for a wide audience. If U2 only played rarities, they could pack in their Claw, no more stadium shows.

:up:, that is someone that really annoys me, when i see some post "we", like thet know what i want or something.

"My biggest issue with the OP's stance is that U2 has been doing this this way for decades, yet for some reason now all of a sudden they have become less musicians and less artistic, that doesn't hold a lot of water with me."

BVS - we are probably not very different in our passion and desire to see something a bit different. It has not been "all of a sudden" that people are asking for the ability to surprise us. I can recall U2 stating that they needed to "Eat the monster, before it ate them." I now wonder if their fantastic spectacles are locking them into constraints. It's questionable to the point where the element of surprise has been lost. Let me add, I also think deviating from the locked-in setlist should not be defined just by what songs are played, but a surprise in the order. Would you not like a bit of surprise?

I've noticed from your profile that you enjoy Damien Rice a bit. One thing I really enjoy about his shows is that you can't be sure what songs will open a particular night, or his encore. You may be able to pick out a certain string of songs to be played, but there is more of an element of surprise. We are living in an age of the internet, instant downloads, twitter, and setlist parties. It is what it is, we can't compare 1992 to 2009 in terms of people's knowledge.

I love the monster productions - they are amazing. This doesn't mean that I don't question the possibility that it is locking the band into corners with visual design and setlist flow. Nor does it mean that I don't think Willie is a genius in this realm. You may say (not sure, just anticipating) that I want my cake and I want to eat it too, and that's wrong. I don't think it's impossible to apply both surprise and Willie's set art in the same show. Main set - go with Willie's constraints, encore - maybe less production if mood or lighting is too difficult to the particular theme / art that the flow of the show is trying to create. These two things are not mutually exclusive.

I know we might not agree on what is art, but that is an age old argument that is up for interpretation. Would you not like to be surprised by a mix in the setlist or a couple of songs swapped out?

Did Dublin get what it deserved given the 3 shows it had. IMO - no. 4 days to rehearse something new into the setlist & they came up with NYD? I wouldn't say that NYD was a significant reach nor effort for them. It's not something that they shouldn't be able to play every night at this point. It gets played regularly on every tour.

Would I bitch if they played every song I wanted in a setlist? Of course not! I'd love that. I'm sure you would as well. However, I understand that's not reasonable. I also understand that it would be disappointing to many good but non-die hards. Sometimes I get as much joy out of watching a friend see "Beautiful Day" for the first time as I am when hearing something like UF or UV again.

Should expectations be higher with more expensive ticket sales? That's debatable. I wonder about that myself. I haven't formed my final opinion, but I have asked myself the following question: The fans work hard for their money...we are asked to perform and adjust in the workplace constantly...should we not expect the same from our favorite rock band.

I do appreciate the Edge mentioning the change of only 2 - 3 songs a night. However, it would be an even greater gesture for him to take a page out of Pete Townshend's mouth, "We are going to play the songs we feel comfortable playing with very little variation." As consumers, it would help us get a better idea of what we are getting for our money if we travel & or do multiple dates across many cities or in the same city for that matter.

Ranked on a 1 to 10 basis as opinion, maybe this will help you understand my mindset on certain aspects of their performance / art / & elements:

Quality of band = 10 (100%)
Quality of albums = 9 or 10 (still relevant after all these years - impressive!)
Value of production / spectacle = 10
Ticket prices = reasonable if you know what you are doing. (come on $55 US - not bad)
Ability to surprise = 6 (the one thing they have never been spectacular at)

d

For those of you that think this is a bitch thread, it's really not. I think their is one element U2 have not mastered & I think Dublin deserved more in terms of surprise in setlist or variation. It's a special place for them, for fans, why not make it more special than Berlin or Barcelona. The whole world does watch when they play Dublin.

Would you not like a bit of surprise?
If I didn't peak at the setlist, I will be...

I haven't looked at setlist on previous tours. The only reason I did this tour is that my show is so far out, I'll stop looking once they hit the U.S. So, I'm always suprised.

I've noticed from your profile that you enjoy Damien Rice a bit. One thing I really enjoy about his shows is that you can't be sure what songs will open a particular night, or his encore. You may be able to pick out a certain string of songs to be played, but there is more of an element of surprise. We are living in an age of the internet, instant downloads, twitter, and setlist parties. It is what it is, we can't compare 1992 to 2009 in terms of people's knowledge.
Don't follow his setlists, only been able to see him once unfortunately. But it's hard to really compare the two...

I do appreciate the Edge mentioning the change of only 2 - 3 songs a night. However, it would be an even greater gesture for him to take a page out of Pete Townshend's mouth, "We are going to play the songs we feel comfortable playing with very little variation." As consumers, it would help us get a better idea of what we are getting for our money if we travel & or do multiple dates across many cities or in the same city for that matter.
A greater gesture? Nitpicking semantics, quite silly don't you think?

How is a consumer going to get a better idea from what Pete said compared to Edge?

I really feel bad for the people who want setlist variation for legitimate reasons because a lot of the time the reasons I see people post are pretty hilarious.

Most of them reek of selfish entitlement to be honest. "As a U2 fan who pays good money I am entitled to hear such and such a song" or "U2 owe it to the fans to play this or that"...

weak sauce, dude :down:

U2 play what they want to play and if you don't like it, don't go. End of story. No one is making you spend money to go to a concert or travel around the world to see them and if you are that deluded that you would actually BLAME them for somehow ruining your experience because they played the same songs two nights in a row, well, I don't know what to tell you... And it's fine if you want to complain on here but expect a backlash. Simple as that. Because for every person who feels the need to complain about something on here there are just as many or sometimes more who will defend it... Except the mask, nobody liked that one lol...

Back
Top Bottom