Too much claw, not enough body! - Complaints about the setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh I'm sorry edit immediatly. What I meant to say is "This young lady seems to know what she's talking about.

Please take into consideration that I'm kind of new here. :huh:

That would explain your intitial post :wink:

Sorry "Uni". Couldn' t resist

Oh I'm sorry edit immediatly. What I meant to say is "This young lady seems to know what she's talking about.

Please take into consideration that I'm kind of new here. :huh:

One of the golden rules of Interference:
Unless you know for certain otherwise, assume the person behind a screenname is a girl.

(You'll be right about 80% of the time then ;) )

5 times in one week in 2001, and only 4 changes in song. It's akin to watching Brady Bunch repeats after a while.

Wow, i'm sorry to say you appear incredibly ungrateful there DubbalinGirl. If I haven't tired of studio versions of numerous U2 songs in about 17 years (that's tens of thousands of listens of the same songs), why would I tire of watching them dish out the same set the 6th or 7th or even 30th time I see them? And this is seeing your favourite band LIVE we're talking abt! For most ppl here that's the pinnacle of all things U2 related! And it's not even the exact same piece of music you're getting each night (which is the case when you listen to albums or boots), you're getting unique individual performances each time!

And honestly, that Brady Bunch analogy is terribly inept. This is MUSIC. You watch even your favourite movies, what, like 20 times??? You hear your favourite songs gazillions of times.

Most fans here would give a lot to be in the position you are in DubbalinGirl; having followed them around over the years and gotten the chance to see them on countless occasions. Those 5 times you saw 'em in 2001, yea, most ppl would give an arm and a leg for that! EVEN WITH ONLY *SHOCK* 4 SONG CHANGES!!!

And as I said 50 times already, that's precisely why they're NOT getting my money or my time on this tour.

This is the part which makes me really, really sad. You're not goin to see them this tour JUST becuz their setlists are static? Because they're not giving you enough variety? That is just really, really sad

One of the golden rules of Interference:
Unless you know for certain otherwise, assume the person behind a screenname is a girl.

(You'll be right about 80% of the time then ;) )

smiley-face.jpg

This thread has some of funniest shit I have ever read. People being criticized for having opinions!!! Lack of gratitude that U2 exist - "who cares if it's good, it's here!"... it's like Kim Jong Il is here under a bunch of different names! What I find odd is that so many people go to multiple shows. They're all the same, and always have been, even from tour to tour. For me, if the album isn't really special there's no need to go because at least half of it is going to be same as the last couple visists.

But really: DO NOT CRITIZE. DO NOT THINK. VOTE REPUBLICAN.

If I went to multiple shows?? Why, as a casual fan, would I do that?! :huh:

What is so hard to understand about the established fact that 90% or more of the people in a stadium on any given night don't get to go to multiple shows? So now in order to hear the well established singalongs I must go to multiple shows? Just so some setlist freaks can feel better about the show? Fuck that.

Tickets for floors at the last Bruce concert were $200 or more. At least at the time I looked.

I´m really happy with the setlist this tour, but maybe a valid point is that U2 played 3 nights in a small country (a little more than 4 millions of people) and is very probably that at least the 40% of the concert attendees went to at least 2 nights. I mean, the past tour they really mixed up for the last night. In previous tours U2 only played two concerts in Dublin, each tour. So, for that reason, was expectable that they didn´t a more "special" set in terms of song selection...

Just my opinion...

This thread has some of funniest shit I have ever read. People being criticized for having opinions!!! Lack of gratitude that U2 exist - "who cares if it's good, it's here!"... it's like Kim Jong Il is here under a bunch of different names! What I find odd is that so many people go to multiple shows. They're all the same, and always have been, even from tour to tour. For me, if the album isn't really special there's no need to go because at least half of it is going to be same as the last couple visists.

I feel numb...:up:

Is that not what forums are for?

off topic: Mondaynight I came to realise that I had spent 2,5 hours watching a blue screen to look if my favourite band (past or present) was playing something different then two nights before in a stadium with 90000 people dancing and having the time of their lifes without me. My wife was drinking a wine on our comfortable couch meanwhile.

I mean, she is georgous!!!

I guess I am an idiot, so to quote my main man

No more, no more....
:wink:

there's all this talk, but no one seems to mention how cool it is that U2 are playing a completely different, and much better, version of crazy tonight. that's pretty special.

Addios.

I dream that someday they’ll do a contest that’ll let fans choose the setlist. Lets say an ebay thing where the most donated goes to the one campaign or something.

There’d be some rules. You have to adhere to their touring principles. So, if they’re touring to promote a new album, you have to at minimum choose the songs they’re currently playing on the album during the tour.

You can’t choose any song they haven’t performed live before

And you have to include some hits.

Must be limited to their standard 22.

You can’t substantially alter the flow of the setlist as they have all the stage tech pre programmed to it.

Here’s what I’d come up with and why. Throw it in your ipod and test it out.

My theory is with the Unforgettable Fire rerelease coming and the business aspects of promoting that, along with its experimental nature its songs fit in well on this tour.

We start with

A Sort of Homecoming – Sonically, U2 are going back to their experimental mid 80’s roots. And starting out with a non new album track is something they used to do way back when.
NLOTH
Breathe – Breathe, I don’t think starts the show well. But it segues from NLOTH well and keeps the vibe going
GYOB
MAG
Beaut Day – First of the hits
Electrical Storm – It should be in the rotation. Its modern and feels like a song that should be played under The Claw
Unknown Caller
The Unforgettable Fire
WGRYWH – Big experimental song from AB, fits in with UC/TUF
God Part II – No more Rattle & Hum pop BS. Give us one of the tangential ones.
COBL
Vertigo
IGCIIDGCT
Wire – More TUF love
Seconds – Similar message to SBS, but for gods sake, something different
Please – Ditto, but for One
Streets

Encore:

Ultraviolet
WOWY
MOS
Windows In The Skies – Instead of going out on a quiet note, lets go out with a big shout out to the past. Instead of the montages of past bands though, lets have a montage of past Civil Rights people. MLK, ASK, Nelson Mandella, Ghandi, Mother Theresa. Oh can’t you see what love has done? A nice uplifting ending for the ride home.

Without calculating specifics...15 albums with say, 10 songs per album average. Approximately 150 songs to pull from, not including valid b-sides (Spanish Eyes) and other stuff they could play from side projects (Saints, Miss Sarajevo). And you're psyched you're seeing "the variety" of 33 spread over the course of a tour? REALLY? Wow, you're easy to please.

Last tour they played approx 60 different songs. So even if we are generous, they played a 1/3 of their "Massive Catalog" in one tour. That is great to me.

pics?

-dan

hahaha

if you realy want to know: check out lemonade section with the pictures of fellow interferencers. There are a few weddingpictures in there posted some weeks ago around page 10 (from the top of my head but that could be different actually) :wink:

on topic : off to bed :wink:

goodnight everyone!! :wave:

For me, if the album isn't really special there's no need to go because at least half of it is going to be same as the last couple visists.

For me there is a need to go see them live, regardless of the album, and that reason is:

I want to see one of the greatest bands in history in person before they change their mind and stop playing for us!

and I dont care what you think about the setlist... but DO NOT vote republican! :lol:

However, WITS would be a great platform for tributes to some of U2's heroes, and a damn fun live moment, too bad we likely won't see it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom