Thoughts on Changes to the Setlists...and your thoughts... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life
 
Numb1075's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Tarrytown, NY
Posts: 11,382
Local Time: 02:50 PM
Thoughts on Changes to the Setlists...and your thoughts...

I'm certainly glad that the boys are making changes to the setlist. I mean, they're not Pearl jam, but a change or two a night is great.

However, they are removing some of the war horse tunes for tunes like Your Blue Room. Granted, it's a beautiful song, but I would bet most folks don't know it (or even care who Passengers are/were). People will fall asleep or ask their neighbors "Whats this song?" and then chat about it all through the song and miss it entirely).

If you're making a substitutionm why not play a song that rocks, instead of rocking us to sleep? Why not bring back All Because of You, Like a Song, Gloria, I Will Follow, HMTMKMKM, God II, Discoteche, even Desire?

Choose something loud and fast. They did the same thing in previous tours by throwing in In a Little While or Electrical Storm, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, The Hands that Built America, Into the Heart....slowish tempo songs.

Could it be they need a break or they are getting old and need a break mid show?

Personally, I'm happy with whatever they play, but many fans from back in the 80s will be annoyed w/ these "surprise songs" that are just bathroom break songs.

what do you think?
__________________

Numb1075 is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:27 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,070
Local Time: 01:50 PM
I personally think that the Chicago 2/Toronto 1 setlist is possibly the best they've ever played, and I wouldn't care if they played it every night for the remainder of the year. Putting Bad in either after Streets or, preferably, before One, would make the set even better, especially if they dropped Elevation to facilitate it (I'd say that Bad had a better response than Elevation at Chicago 1, anyway - it got some of the loudest cheers of the night), but I mustn't get my hopes up.

Also, ABOY is godawful, Like A Song is just decent and wouldn't fit anyway, Gloria would be totally out-of-place, IWF is miserably overplayed, God Part II is mediocre and overrated, and Desire is as pointless as Elevation. I'm not sure if they could make Discothèque work well on this tour. I can't answer for HMTMKMKM, because I think it would work quite well on this tour.

Whereas YBR is stunningly beautiful, and is absolutely perfect for this tour.
__________________

digitize is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:41 PM   #3
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Posts: 213
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
I personally think that the Chicago 2/Toronto 1 setlist is possibly the best they've ever played, and I wouldn't care if they played it every night for the remainder of the year. Putting Bad in either after Streets or, preferably, before One, would make the set even better, especially if they dropped Elevation to facilitate it (I'd say that Bad had a better response than Elevation at Chicago 1, anyway - it got some of the loudest cheers of the night), but I mustn't get my hopes up.

Also, ABOY is godawful, Like A Song is just decent and wouldn't fit anyway, Gloria would be totally out-of-place, IWF is miserably overplayed, God Part II is mediocre and overrated, and Desire is as pointless as Elevation. I'm not sure if they could make Discothèque work well on this tour. I can't answer for HMTMKMKM, because I think it would work quite well on this tour.

Whereas YBR is stunningly beautiful, and is absolutely perfect for this tour.

As for Desire I think the Claw set up is the perfect stage for the Mirrorball Man to re-emerge!
Bruce is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,070
Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
As for Desire I think the Claw set up is the perfect stage for the Mirrorball Man to re-emerge!
The Mirrorball Man is gone, along with MacPhisto and The Fly. Much as I love those characters, there's no chance they're ever coming back.
digitize is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #5
Fan & Taper
 
Chrisedge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: So Cal
Posts: 2,265
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
As for Desire I think the Claw set up is the perfect stage for the Mirrorball Man to re-emerge!
16 years from now people will be wanting Laserpointer guy back.

Mirrorball Man/MacPhisto are a thing from a specific tour, they are gone. You missed it. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.
Chrisedge is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 05:37 PM   #6
Refugee
 
jphelmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: cumming, ga usa
Posts: 1,445
Local Time: 02:50 PM
I don't mind seeing YBR, but to me its a mediocre song at best. If i see it once, that is quite enough. i would much prefer the set with Bad over YBR. Bad is such a better song it doesn't matter how many times the two have been played.. I hadn't listened to YBR in years before they started rehearsing it. I would actually rather hear Pride than YBR.

YBR is going to become what Miss Sarajevo was to vertigo, the song that brings the show to a screeching halt and you have everyone talking very loudly and being totally disinterested. At least Miss Sarajevo had the opera section that pull everyone back for a moment.

They are really close to what would be a great setlist (for me) for this tour. If they could get a show with Stay, UTEOTW, Bad, and then have ES for elevation, and NYD for I still Haven't Found that would be just about perfect. The One-Amazing Grace- Streets would be perfect if they just added Bad and made it One-AG-Bad-40-Streets. That would be tough to top for me.
jphelmet is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 05:43 PM   #7
New Yorker
 
Shawn Bonneau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Maine, USA
Posts: 3,158
Local Time: 02:50 PM
I am waiting for Stand Up Comedy... I'm waiting...

SMB
Shawn Bonneau is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:26 PM   #8
The Fly
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Asbury Park, NJ
Posts: 213
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
16 years from now people will be wanting Laserpointer guy back.

Mirrorball Man/MacPhisto are a thing from a specific tour, they are gone. You missed it. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

I was just offering my opinion on a message board on something I liked. I'm sorry thats not ok with you. If I am not allowed to offer my opinion would you please let me know then what I am able to write? Please even send me a private message as to what I can write here. Also I didnt miss Zoo Tv as I saw several shows. It's a shame that I typed something that I liked and have to encounter a wise guy.
Bruce is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,070
Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
I was just offering my opinion on a message board on something I liked. I'm sorry thats not ok with you. If I am not allowed to offer my opinion would you please let me know then what I am able to write? Please even send me a private message as to what I can write here. Also I didnt miss Zoo Tv as I saw several shows. It's a shame that I typed something that I liked and have to encounter a wise guy.
You offered your opinion. It was perfectly valid. Chris offered his rebuttal to your opinion, which was also perfectly valid. I'm not sure what's wrong. Saying you disagree with an opinion is different than saying you don't think the person who holds said opinion shouldn't be allowed to post said opinion.
digitize is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:41 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Apartment of Surrender...
Posts: 5,629
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numb1075 View Post
I'm certainly glad that the boys are making changes to the setlist. I mean, they're not Pearl jam, but a change or two a night is great.

However, they are removing some of the war horse tunes for tunes like Your Blue Room. Granted, it's a beautiful song, but I would bet most folks don't know it (or even care who Passengers are/were). People will fall asleep or ask their neighbors "Whats this song?" and then chat about it all through the song and miss it entirely).

If you're making a substitutionm why not play a song that rocks, instead of rocking us to sleep? Why not bring back All Because of You, Like a Song, Gloria, I Will Follow, HMTMKMKM, God II, Discoteche, even Desire?

Choose something loud and fast. They did the same thing in previous tours by throwing in In a Little While or Electrical Storm, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, The Hands that Built America, Into the Heart....slowish tempo songs.

Could it be they need a break or they are getting old and need a break mid show?

Personally, I'm happy with whatever they play, but many fans from back in the 80s will be annoyed w/ these "surprise songs" that are just bathroom break songs.

what do you think?
I think that U2 are going for a certain sound, a certain feeling this tour. A silver-blue sound: The Unforgettable Fire, Unknown caller, Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room, etc.

The Vertigo tour was the straight-up rocker tour. They're doing something different this time.
Niceman is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 07:44 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life
 
digitize's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New York / Dallas / Austin
Posts: 14,070
Local Time: 01:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceman View Post
I think that U2 are going for a certain sound, a certain feeling this tour. A silver-blue sound: The Unforgettable Fire, Unknown caller, Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room, etc.
This is exactly right.
digitize is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 10:15 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Niceman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: The Apartment of Surrender...
Posts: 5,629
Local Time: 03:50 PM
btw: I LOVE that they're giving Pride a rest! )
Niceman is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 10:39 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor
 
corianderstem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Seattle
Posts: 64,498
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisedge View Post
Laserpointer guy
corianderstem is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 10:54 PM   #14
Refugee
 
U2387's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 2,270
Local Time: 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niceman View Post
btw: I LOVE that they're giving Pride a rest! )
Yes, and the rest can be over for Boston, please!

Not asking for both nights, but at least 1!!!!!!

Seriously, when they can drop One or WOWY or put them in rotation, they drop Pride AFTER they gave it the best performance of the tour for Chicago 1??

I am all for changes, but YBR can't replace the obviously lifeless WOWY?

This tour needs rockers and needs them fast. YBR, great, but not at the expense of Pride or other rockers.

How about Last Night on Earth, Discoteque, full band Desire, Holy Joe(want a rare song?), Gloria, 2 hearts, IWF, etc.
U2387 is offline  
Old 09-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #15
The Male
 
LemonMelon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Hollywoo
Posts: 66,787
Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitize View Post
The Mirrorball Man is gone, along with MacPhisto and The Fly. Much as I love those characters, there's no chance they're ever coming back.
Doesn't mean they have to leave ZooTV's electricity to rot as well. Fuck acoustic Desire; just crank that shit and let the crowd reaction speak for itself.
__________________

LemonMelon is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com