Thoughts on Changes to the Setlists...and your thoughts...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just like saying WOWIE!!!

but yeah - I can kinda see where you might have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about repetition in the setlists...

And yet I try to refrain from such as best I can.....however, it was no secret how tired I was of Bullet and Pride, even if I love the latter when it's the studio version.

Zwervers, thanks.

I don't mind seeing YBR, but to me its a mediocre song at best. If i see it once, that is quite enough. i would much prefer the set with Bad over YBR. Bad is such a better song it doesn't matter how many times the two have been played.. I hadn't listened to YBR in years before they started rehearsing it. I would actually rather hear Pride than YBR.

YBR is going to become what Miss Sarajevo was to vertigo, the song that brings the show to a screeching halt and you have everyone talking very loudly and being totally disinterested. At least Miss Sarajevo had the opera section that pull everyone back for a moment.

:up: I agree. There are so many better songs than YBR that have not been played. IE how about one they even rehearsed, Drowning Man, MUCH better song. YBR brings an otherwise excellent setlist to a screeching halt IMO. Like I said I don't mind that they are playing it, but I could think of 20 or 30 other songs that I would rather have them perform that would fit the tour just as easily and not send the crowd to the restrooms.

I'm still not sold on "Breathe" opening either. Its a mediocre opening song (but a good song that should be played, just not open). "No Line On The Horizon" should be the opening song of this tour or at a minimum be alternated in as the opener.

:IE how about one they even rehearsed, Drowning Man,

They had been rehearsing YBR, for what it's worth.

I think I agree with you about Breathe/No Line. After seeing it live (twice!), I would switch the two songs. But hey, whatever.

I think that U2 are going for a certain sound, a certain feeling this tour. A silver-blue sound: The Unforgettable Fire, Unknown caller, Electrical Storm, Your Blue Room, etc.

The Vertigo tour was the straight-up rocker tour. They're doing something different this time.

this is very true :up:

I think the one suprising thing for me is no one criticizing walk on. Has to be the weakest track on this tour so far. It just seems as if Bono is more interested in the mask thing than singing the song. It sounds weak, and it using up a spot for a song like ES every night, or Kite. I loved it on the Elevation tour, sounded strong and got a message across. But on this tour its sounding awful!

I don't like the song. I've never been a fan of it on the album or live. Pride is overplayed, but a great song. Walk On? It should be forgotten about.

I keep forgetting about Walk On! I love the song, and have never heard it live prior to this tour, so I don't mind it.

However, since I keep forgetting it, it's apparent that I wouldn't miss it if they dropped it. :wink:

Plus, I think Bono sounds awesome on it.

I could think of 20-30 better songs than the bulk of the set list. :shrug:

See, I dont even really consider YBR a U2 song. Not to get into that debate, but for me "personally" Passengers is not a U2 album. 20-30 that should be played over Streets, No Line, Ultraviolet, Unf. Fire, Until The End Of the World, Bad......... ?????? I'm not seeing that at all. I can over a couple of songs, but for the most part the setlist is pretty good. It just needs some tweaks to me and I think YBR could be one of those tweaks. Not sure why that opinion is discounted or belittled when I was sharing the same opinion as another poster. :shrug: Simply put, if U2 are going to pick an obscure or atypical song, I can think of many over YBR I think they could do that would work.

I also know they rehearsed YBR, clearly, they played it live, they rehearsed it. My point being Drowning Man was also rehearsed and NOT done. I think its a much better song. Supposedly its not being done because it dragged the setlist down. Not sure how YBR isnt doing the same thing or a very similiar thing. :shrug: That is my point.

See, I dont even really consider YBR a U2 song. Not to get into that debate, but for me "personally" Passengers is not a U2 album. 20-30 that should be played over Streets, No Line, Ultraviolet, Unf. Fire, Until The End Of the World, Bad......... ?????? I'm not seeing that at all. I can over a couple of songs, but for the most part the setlist is pretty good. It just needs some tweaks to me and I think YBR could be one of those tweaks. Not sure why that opinion is discounted or belittled when I was sharing the same opinion as another poster. :shrug:

I also know they rehearsed YBR, clearly, they played it live, they rehearsed it. My point being Drowning Man was also rehearsed and NOT done. I think its a much better song. Supposedly its not being done because it dragged the setlist down. Not sure how YBR isnt doing the same thing or a very similiar thing. :shrug: That is my point.

I'm not discounting or belittling your opinion. I just think that to isolate on one song and mention that you can think of 25-30 better songs sort of goes without saying when it comes to a band of this stature. I'm not going to get into the whole Passegners/U2 discussion.

Go Wolverines.

I'm not discounting or belittling your opinion. I just think that to isolate on one song and mention that you can think of 25-30 better songs sort of goes without saying when it comes to a band of this stature. I'm not going to get into the whole Passegners/U2 discussion.

Go Wolverines.

You are right, but I was specifically referring to if they are going to do an obscure song like YBR. I can think of other obscure songs that are much better they could choose from. Not a huge deal, I think its cool they are at least making an effort to do something different and I don't hate YBR, I think its a mediocre song though.

I'm just happy Bullet was finally dropped on this tour. I don't miss it one bit! I have heard/seen that song done 38 times since 1987. It needed a break for a tour at least.

GO BLUE!

:up:

You are right, but I was specifically referring to if they are going to do an obscure song like YBR. I can think of other obscure songs that are much better they could choose from. Not a huge deal, I think its cool they are at least making an effort to do something different and I don't hate YBR, I think its a mediocre song though.

I'm just happy Bullet was finally dropped on this tour. I don't miss it one bit! I have heard/seen that song done 38 times since 1987. It needed a break for a tour at least.

GO BLUE!

:up:

You and me both re: Bullet.

The only difference was my post didnt reak of sarcasm :wave:

Then be glad you saw ZOO TV. Move on. It's like asking Bruce if he will play 4 hour shows in huge stadiums again. He doesn't do that anymore. I'm glad I saw one of those shows.

The forums are full of people that want "old" stuff back. From POP songs, to MacPhisto, they are just in a different place now. Enjoy what the band is doing TODAY/CURRENTLY, and be thankful you were lucky to see the shows you did.

If you didn't see POP/Mirrorball/MacPhisto/FILLINTHEBLANK, grab a old video and try and enjoy that. But let the band do what they do, and enjoy the "new" costumes, and songs. (That was my point)

Then be glad you saw ZOO TV. Move on. It's like asking Bruce if he will play 4 hour shows in huge stadiums again. He doesn't do that anymore. I'm glad I saw one of those shows.

He's still cracking out over 3 hour shows at age 60 which are pretty awesome.

The forums are full of people that want "old" stuff back. From POP songs, to MacPhisto, they are just in a different place now. Enjoy what the band is doing TODAY/CURRENTLY, and be thankful you were lucky to see the shows you did.

Whats wrong with liking the old stuff? Go back and listen to alot of the music from Boy to Achtung and there is some epic music there. Alot of people myself included like that music more than the recent releases. Doesnt make us any less of a fan though?

While we can enjoy what the band is doing now we can still have our opinions.

If you didn't see POP/Mirrorball/MacPhisto/FILLINTHEBLANK, grab a old video and try and enjoy that. But let the band do what they do, and enjoy the "new" costumes, and songs. (That was my point)

This was a nice post and I appreciated it. Did you have to seem so sarcastic the first time around? You have the U2 that you like and I have the U2 that I like. I dont think that makes anyone of us lesser of a fan.

Back
Top Bottom