Those hoping for Drowning Man, from Willies Diary (all Drowning Man discussion here)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That would be s e n d s p a c e for all those wondering.

Is this a soundboard recording? Sounds like it.

EDIT: wait... that's obviously IEM... Edge's? It sounds like him who says "more bass", and that would place his vocals certainly above Bono's in the mix. Thanks for recording/posting it!!

that IS IEM.COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know why they dont play it now. starts with a b :wink:

MY GOD THIS SOUNDS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was SO hoping they would play this in Dublin. Finally something original. but nooooo :wink:

great post!
now where's the IEM of the Your Blue Room rehearsal?!

i had wondered whether or not someone had been tuning into the soundchecks in Barca?!

The soundcheck setlists are epic this tour! :hyper:

great post!
now where's the IEM of the Your Blue Room rehearsal?!

i had wondered whether or not someone had been tuning into the soundchecks in Barca?!

The soundcheck setlists are epic this tour! :hyper:
Forget the concerts, I Need the soundcheck :lol:
Hoping for YBR

Bands ususally hate when you grab their IEM feeds. It's an invasion of privacy, a bit rude...

Privacy is so 1972. All these idiotic governments who want to control what you eat, what you buy, who you call, which websites you visit, which countries you travel to. THAT is rude and freaky to say the least. THIS is just being a fan and being excited.

Could someone try and explain...

... why this piece of genius has been shelved?

[youtube]nhny5S9NeGI[/youtube]

As much as I love the inclusion of Your Blue Room, I do think it would pale a little in comparison to Drowning Man.

I'm still hopeful it'll show up at some point as the tour presumably has a long way to go, but the fact that it hasnt even been soundchecked for a long while (was Dublin the last time?) worries me we may never see this gem of a song played in concert.

Can anyone think of any reasons why they've decided against playing it? I think it sounds fantastic in the rehearsal clip.

Yeah I'd imagine it'd be a bit of a stretch for him if it was played night after night, I'm just pretty surprised they haven't at least given it a go ala Electrical Storm.

Very demanding song on Bono vocally, perhaps he cant nail it these days,
That's all I can think of,

He was singing it night after night at the Barca rehearsals without any issues. The reason Willie gave was the usual "won't fit into the setlist" excuse, which is absurd - there are a bunch of songs that wouldn't, but I think this one would.

He was singing it night after night at the Barca rehearsals without any issues. The reason Willie gave was the usual "won't fit into the setlist" excuse, which is absurd - there are a bunch of songs that wouldn't, but I think this one would.

Yeah I don't buy that "wont fit the set list" jazz either!

Of course it would fit!!!

I'd like to see it replace With Or Without You, as I think firstly the tune is a very tired war horse!!! and could do with a rest, secondly I think the song is been butchered these days! Bono's mumbling vocal drives me mad, makes me wanna give him a good shake, I dunno if its a matter of he cant sing the song the way he used to, but its terrible to see a classic been churned out seemingly emotionless and effortless,

I really think the band should give there set list a good looking over, I may be alone on this but I think the encore is too slow, fair enough Ultraviolet which is incredible, but then a slow uninspired With Or Without You, and MOS to finish another slow ballad, I think U2 really got the encore right on the Vertigo tour, big, blasting rock songs , The Fly, Zoo Station, All Because Of You, and also a good balance of slower tunes 40, Original of the Species, Yahweh, and then Vertigo a huge live song that imo leaves the audience gasping for more.

You see, I love the encore, in theory. I think that Ultraviolet->WOWY->MOS is one of the best song combinations they could ever come up with for an encore. The problem is WOWY... although it fits perfectly into its slot, it isn't played very well. I'm having a hard time thinking of a song that could fit into WOWY's place in the encore... Drowning Man is just about the only one I can think of that might work, and even then WOWY fits much better. Kite is another option I can see, but I still don't like the sound of it between UV and MOS.

UV->WOWY->MOS is just... so... perfect... I just wish they'd execute the middle part well.

... why this piece of genius has been shelved?

[youtube]nhny5S9NeGI[/youtube]

As much as I love the inclusion of Your Blue Room, I do think it would pale a little in comparison to Drowning Man.

I'm still hopeful it'll show up at some point as the tour presumably has a long way to go, but the fact that it hasnt even been soundchecked for a long while (was Dublin the last time?) worries me we may never see this gem of a song played in concert.

Can anyone think of any reasons why they've decided against playing it? I think it sounds fantastic in the rehearsal clip.

Thanks for this clip! I had not seen it. It's amazing and only makes me want them to take a risk and perform it live even more. I saw YBR in Chicago 2 and I have to say that based on this rehearsal clip, I have no doubt Drowning Man would be even better.

:down::down::down::down::down: to Drowning Man replacing WOWY. Why all the hate towards WOWY lately? Just look at some of the videos of it played this tour - the audience participation, everything bathed in blue and disco-ball light. It works beautifully in a stadium setting.

Really.. can you imagine 80,000 people cheering for an encore, then they come out and play Drowning Man? Talk about killing the mood. I LOVE Drowning Man, but it absolutely should not replace WOWY, and it should not be played as an encore. I'm looking forward to seeing if they play it at some point, but put it in the middle of the set.

How about Drowning Man before One. And, have a string quartet or orchestra on stage playing with them. I think the strings would sound awesome at the end of DM and it reminds me of the One single? Or Miss Sarajevo single? One of those has One with strings.

I think it would be gorgeous.

:drool:

:down::down::down::down::down: to Drowning Man replacing WOWY. Why all the hate towards WOWY lately? Just look at some of the videos of it played this tour - the audience participation, everything bathed in blue and disco-ball light. It works beautifully in a stadium setting.

You have to be there in person to fully grasp its "suckiness"

How about Drowning Man before One. And, have a string quartet or orchestra on stage playing with them. I think the strings would sound awesome at the end of DM and it reminds me of the One single? Or Miss Sarajevo single? One of those has One with strings.

I think it would be gorgeous.

:drool:

I think you are talking about the miss sarjevo single with "one" live from Modena(pavarotti warchild concert)

Really.. can you imagine 80,000 people cheering for an encore, then they come out and play Drowning Man? Talk about killing the mood. I LOVE Drowning Man, but it absolutely should not replace WOWY, and it should not be played as an encore. I'm looking forward to seeing if they play it at some point, but put it in the middle of the set.

I agree with that. Maybe its just because I've only seen two U2 shows, but WOWY gets as much audience participation as any other song, just about everyone in the stadium sings along. And I dont think it sounds that bad this tour either. If it were to be replaced, Drowning Man isn't the answer. DM should be played, but its not an encore song. I could really see it leading into Bad like Willie mentioned in his diary, or like YBR, going into Unknown Caller.

Back
Top Bottom