The What In The Fuck Did They Do To Crazy Tonight thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm really not into techno-y electronica, and as a result, I'm not a fan of remixes in general. But watching the video of the performance, it seemed like an almost group primal cathartic experience for the audience, and looked very, very cool. So, while I probably would choose to listen to the original version over the remix while sitting around at home, I think the remix fits the live setting, and it seems to have been very well received.

I guess if you hate it so much you could just go get a beer or something? More room for me to dance and enjoy it then

Posts like this one drive me nuts. It's the implication that if you don't like it, then you should just get the hell out. :rolleyes:

I think a remix to go along with the visuals would have been better for a song like Mysterious Ways, or pretty much any track from Pop. Yes, the visuals were amazing. The new version of Crazy Tonight? Not so much for me. I know a lot of people like it, and that's great, to each their own. I just don't like that those who don't are being criticized.

And to Ernie Shavers: I'm an AB/Zooropa/Pop girl. So take that. :wink:

I think it's funny that the people who say they'd prefer U2 to play something like Discotheque rather than this are the same people who complain about U2 doing the same "greatest hits" package. So instead of them doing something completely new and different you'd prefer them playing an old (though great) song? (Same argument applies for any song you put here, really)

Frankly, I love the new version, the end more than the start (and I think they'll fix that as things go on). And the inclusion of things like this should really make you very excited for things like Mofo, what was the last song they recorded that was even close to this? That's right... ;)

I'm gonna keep sayin this...if they want to do a remix, they should do Magnificent.

What's the main complaint about the remixes of Magnificent? People think the DJs dropped Edge out of the mix (well they did in some cases, in others he was lowered). The basic song structure is the same but it is sped up making it more danceable. Solution? Just keep Edge as prominent in the mix (or more :drool: ) when performing the remix version! It's win-win. Not only that, but Larry doing his hand drumming would be SO much better on Magnificent assuming they used a drum track and would actually bring the song closer to how the outtakes were played, which is also a win imo. Then there's the clap, which the audience could help with. :up:

I think it's funny that the people who say they'd prefer U2 to play something like Discotheque rather than this are the same people who complain about U2 doing the same "greatest hits" package. So instead of them doing something completely new and different you'd prefer them playing an old (though great) song? (Same argument applies for any song you put here, really)

Frankly, I love the new version, the end more than the start (and I think they'll fix that as things go on). And the inclusion of things like this should really make you very excited for things like Mofo, what was the last song they recorded that was even close to this? That's right... ;)

Discotheque is a great U2 song, that they can play live and it sounds great. It's been played sparingly live and in no way falls into the 'warhorse' category.

Crazy Tonight is a remix, done by a Dirty South, where most of what you hear is pre-recorded being played over the PA.

Not debating the merits of the Remix anymore, but you can honestly not see why someone who is a fan of LIVE MUSIC would prefer to hear discotheque?

Discotheque is a great U2 song, that they can play live and it sounds great. It's been played sparingly live and in no way falls into the 'warhorse' category.

Crazy Tonight is a remix, done by a Dirty South, where most of what you hear is pre-recorded being played over the PA.

Not debating the merits of the Remix anymore, but you can honestly not see why someone who is a fan of LIVE MUSIC would prefer to hear discotheque?

Have you even listened to the remix version? the only bit that is played over the PA is at the very end where bono sings along solo to the remix for litreally a minute or whatever, making the transition into SBS.

Have you even listened to the remix version? the only bit that is played over the PA is at the very end where bono sings along solo to the remix for litreally a minute or whatever, making the transition into SBS.

are you serious? there is a backing track the whole time. larry plays virtually nothing the whole song.

YouTube - U2 Barcelona 2009-07-02 I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight (remix version)

if you don't hear it, i don't know what to tell you.

Where is the backing track? i hear a bongo, i hear bass, and i hear guitar, and i hear a drum loop, but the main thing i am hearing is the bands instruments, i then hear the backing track come it at around 6:03,

so are you being serious?

Where is the backing track? i hear a bongo, i hear bass, and i hear guitar, and i hear a drum loop, but the main thing i am hearing is the bands instruments, i then hear the backing track come it at around 6:03,

its more than a drum loop, and its the prominent thing you hear. you can hear in that clip when adam comes in (right about :53) and larry doesn't even play half the time. he plays intermittently, most of the time when he is walking- he plays nothing.

watch the clip from 4:40-4:50 (adam plays for about 1 sec), no one in the band is playing. it gives you a pretty clear indication of how much is the backing track. its a large part of the track. the backing comes in and out at parts, but it is overall a huge part of this track live.

then compare that to 5:20-5:50 when the play as a band. its night and day different. if they played the whole song like this, it would be a cool track.

that is all i am saying. this track is built as much on what they are not playing on stage as what they are playing. it becomes clear, because there a sections, which edge, adam, and larry completely stop playing. its not that they can't play it, its so they can make it into a dance around the catwalk section of the show. lots of people here love that, i don't care for it. i would rather hear them play as a band- like they do at the end, or like they do on a track like discotheque.

its more than a drum loop, and its the prominent thing you hear. you can hear in that clip when adam comes in (right about :53) and larry doesn't even play half the time. he plays intermittently, most of the time when he is walking- he plays nothing.

watch the clip from 4:40-4:50 (adam plays for about 1 sec), no one in the band is playing. it gives you a pretty clear indication of how much is the backing track. its a large part of the track. the backing comes in and out at parts, but it is overall a huge part of this track live.

then compare that to 5:20-5:50 when the play as a band. its night and day different. if they played the whole song like this, it would be a cool track.

that is all i am saying. this track is built as much on what they are not playing on stage as what they are playing. it becomes clear, because there a sections, which edge, adam, and larry completely stop playing. its not that they can't play it, its so they can make it into a dance around the catwalk section of the show. lots of people here love that, i don't care for it. i would rather hear them play as a band- like they do at the end, or like they do on a track like discotheque.

I'm going to have to disagree here. KUEFC09U2 is closer to understanding what is going on in the song I'm afraid.

The examples you use, especially 4:30-4:50 there isn't much of anything going in the song except the drum loop and a shaker or hi hat. Easily programmed on a drum machine, Larry could literally hit the kick on say a Roland 4 or 8 times and the shaker/hi hat a couple of times and press loop before picking up the drum and walking out...it's pretty easy to do. I don't think he is, however, it would make more sense to be on track. Yes, there are sections where they stop playing, but those are also parts where only the drum loop is happening, there aren't any guitar or bass sounds (feel free to point out an exact part where you hear guitar or bass and see Adam or Edge not playing. Be precise pls). Edge and Adam don't stop playing to walk around, usually. Larry has to because he's carrying the drum.

It doesn't sound like much of a backing track at all until about the 6 minute mark, and even that....it *could* be Terry doing keys...but with the vocals on tape it sounds more likely a track.

Bottom line, sometimes backing tracks are nothing but one or two sounds and a count for the drummer...it doesn't always have to be complicated, and this song isn't overly.

Contrast that with Discotechque, Vertigo version. There's ALOT more going on in the backing track of that song.

So in a way, this song is more 'live' than Discotechque and that's why it flows so nicely into Larry back at the kit...although in Disco. Larry is playing the kick so there's that...but then again he's not walking around the ellipse at the same time either.

i liked the album version of the song, and at times loved it.

however, i love the new version. a lot. and it makes an okay-pretty good song into an awesome tune. i hope it gets a proper release someday.

I'm going to have to disagree here. KUEFC09U2 is closer to understanding what is going on in the song I'm afraid.

The examples you use, especially 4:30-4:50 there isn't much of anything going in the song except the drum loop and a shaker or hi hat. Easily programmed on a drum machine, Larry could literally hit the kick on say a Roland 4 or 8 times and the shaker/hi hat a couple of times and press loop before picking up the drum and walking out...it's pretty easy to do. I don't think he is, however, it would make more sense to be on track. Yes, there are sections where they stop playing, but those are also parts where only the drum loop is happening, there aren't any guitar or bass sounds (feel free to point out an exact part where you hear guitar or bass and see Adam or Edge not playing. Be precise pls). Edge and Adam don't stop playing to walk around, usually. Larry has to because he's carrying the drum.

It doesn't sound like much of a backing track at all until about the 6 minute mark, and even that....it *could* be Terry doing keys...but with the vocals on tape it sounds more likely a track.

Bottom line, sometimes backing tracks are nothing but one or two sounds and a count for the drummer...it doesn't always have to be complicated, and this song isn't overly.

Contrast that with Discotechque, Vertigo version. There's ALOT more going on in the backing track of that song.

So in a way, this song is more 'live' than Discotechque and that's why it flows so nicely into Larry back at the kit...although in Disco. Larry is playing the kick so there's that...but then again he's not walking around the ellipse at the same time either.

thanks for the post. the more i listen to it (i have never listened to a song i hate as many times as this one), the more i realize how much is not prerecorded. really though, there is just not much going on at all in this song. the songs is so driven by the loop, i just don't like it. larry adds just about nothing except for the those 30 good seconds of the song.

i get the point about disco- but the bottom line for me is all the layers of backing tapes are covered up by a band playing and it sounds great (much like that 30 seconds or so when larry is behind his kit in crazy tonight). the same is true for mofo, its covered up by what they are playing so its still very much the sound of a live band. for me the loop in crazy so drives the song, that its just awful- that and the ending makes me what to stab my ear drums. combine that with bono's awful rap, and yelling and you have the worst live u2 track i have ever heard.

the hard part is the more i listen to it the more i dislike it. i am slowly coming to grips with i may actually see a u2 show (still hoping they drop in before the US leg) where there is a song I genuinely don't like in the set (i like just about everything they have ever done so this has never happened before). i am glad to see a lot of other people seem to like it though.

i liked the album version of the song, and at times loved it.

however, i love the new version. a lot. and it makes an okay-pretty good song into an awesome tune. i hope it gets a proper release someday.

Ask and ye shall recieve: YouTube - U2 I'll Go Crazy If I Dont Go Crazy Tonight (Dirty South Remix)

;)

larry adds just about nothing except for the those 30 good seconds of the song.

I'm not sure what you mean here...that's like saying if U2 does Desire with a tom and an acoustic, he's not bringing anything to the song...he's just doing something different for this song. :shrug:

I'm not sure what you mean here...that's like saying if U2 does Desire with a tom and an acoustic, he's not bringing anything to the song...he's just doing something different for this song. :shrug:

just mean, he plays the djembe for about a 1/3 of the time- so he literally brings nothing to the song for most of it.

oh it was FUN live and completely and utterly totally uncool in a totally sweet way - couldn't stop thinking about Neil McCormick's "dads at the disco remix" comment especially when Bono's telling people how to fecking DANCE roflmfao!!! :D

i hope they keep it, it was adorable and lovely and upbeat and really joyful :heart:

Looks like someone beat me to starting a topic about this, so I will just paste what I said:

Why are they doing this? Why do they keep playing that remix live?

U2 are supposed to be a rock band, not a remix band.

Many IGCIIDGCT fans, who want to hear the proper version live, will be dissapointed when they pay for a U2 gig only to discover they play a crappy remix version of it instead.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this btw.

But I repeat: U2 are supposed to be a rock band, not a remix band.

Looks like someone beat me to starting a topic about this, so I will just paste what I said:

Why are they doing this? Why do they keep playing that remix live?

U2 are supposed to be a rock band, not a remix band.

Many IGCIIDGCT fans, who want to hear the proper version live, will be dissapointed when they pay for a U2 gig only to discover they play a crappy remix version of it instead.

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this btw.

But I repeat: U2 are supposed to be a rock band, not a remix band.

Yes, because the original of Crazy Tonight is such a rock song.

how many people are we talking about here?

Surely loads. Think about it, a band as big as U2 will have many fans of each of their album tracks, this obv includes crazy tonight, and these fans will no doubt wanna hear the real version live as opposed to a remix

I'd say Crazy Tonight is pure pop. It's a pop song if U2 have ever made one. It speaks for U2 that they're trying something different and as I said before I was sceptical at first, but the remix works wonders. I doubt the original of Crazy Tonight would work just as good as the remix does, it's not energetic enough.

Having said that, I wouldn't mind hearing the original as well from time to time, I thought the Letterman performance was very good, but in the stadium/claw setting I just think the remix works better, especially at the spot it currently is in the set.

Fair enough that they're doing something different, but because the original version already exists on the album, this is the main problem for me. If it was the remix all along that made the album, and the original never existed, I would see it as less of a problem, but would just instead not be a fan of the song

I love the original Crazy Tonight, and I wasn't too happy about a remix...

But now that I've heard it live, I have to say it's really good, people got really excited, it was full of energy and I'm not disappointed at all, on the contrary, I loved it! (and I didn't like it when I saw on youtube...)

Back
Top Bottom