The songs of NLOTH on the NLOTH tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raft

The Fly
After reading the others threads in the forum , I believe this is a different topic than what's being treated elsewhere:
Listening to the album I started my own prediction game for this tour, I yet don't have my own answer to all my questions:

- Song not to be played: Unknow Caller
(they couldn't go with the 'machine' vocals without feeling embarassed, nor start with the "sunshine, sunshine")
- Party Song (girls on stage, champagne on Bono's hand -ala TTTYAATW-): Crazy Tonight
- Songs for the accoustic set: No line on the Horizon
(strange to go low-key on such a strong song, but it has great accoustic sing-a-long potential)
- "Come on Larry, get out your a** here" song (a la Love and Peace): Stand up comedy.
- Old songs coming back on the setlist: I've got a Zooropa and Unforgettable Fire (the albums) feeling, after being rejected lately, instead of the Boy/War songs of the last tours.
- Depressing song to end the show: Cedars of Lebanon...but is too obvious.
- Opening Song: it's difficult to get out of the 1st single or the opening song of the album. In an effort, Magnificient.
- Song to be played the first shows, only to be dropped from the setlist (the Do you feel loved? way): Being Born.

Feel free to add more categories , your own predictions and explanations.

Last edited:
After reading the others threads in the forum , I believe this is a different topic than what's being treated elsewhere:
Listening to the album I started my own prediction game for this tour, I yet don't have my own answer to all my questions:

(they couldn't go with the 'machine' vocals without feeling embarassed, nor start with the "sunshine, sunshine")
- Party Song (girls on stage, champagne on Bono's hand -ala TTTYAATW-): Crazy Tonight
(strange to go low-key on such a strong song, but it has great accoustic sing-a-long potential)
- "Come on Larry, get out your a** here" song (a la Love and Peace): Stand up comedy.
- Old songs coming back on the setlist: I've got a Zooropa and Unforgettable Fire (the albums) feeling, after being rejected lately, instead of the Boy/War songs of the last tours.
- Opening Song: it's difficult to get out of the 1st single or the opening song of the album. In an effort, Magnificient.
- Song to be played the first shows, only to be dropped from the setlist (the Do you feel loved? way): Being Born.

Feel free to add more categories , your own predictions and explanations.

Nice post. Here's my thoughts, mostly with reference to the new album. Obviously they're just my opinions and therefore have no value than anybody else's! (It's also partly a mini-review of the album, so apologies for that. As a general point, this is a true album in every sense as, GOYB excepted, there's not much in the way of 'obvious' singles like Vertigo or Elevation.)

Tour Name: Can't wait to find out what this will be. Based on recent history, I'm guessing it'll be something to do with 'Boots', sadly, as this is the first single. The 'Get On Your Boots' tour sounds awful, but (please God no)the 'Sexy Boots' tour sounds worse! Is the 'NLOTH Tour' too unwieldy as a title? If it's not something like this then I'm stumped.

Opening Song - I hope it's NLOTH (either version). A good long intro and a song that cranks up the intensity, especially when the drums arrive properly. It could be lengthened into an epic opener, and I can imagine this scene: the intro music ends, the stadium goes dark, and then the guitar chords kick in thunderously. Crowd erupts and the most amazing lightshow ever seen comes alive... I can't describe why, but I think it'd just be good to open the set.

New songs bound to be played live:
- Magnificent (fine song, great chorus. Great little slide solo as well. Would work well as an opener itself.)
- GOYB (it's the single, and will be played early in the set, if not the opener. Hope they don't use it like Vertigo on the last tour - the opener AND closer!)
- Unknown Caller (musically OK, weird lyrics but Edge may well want to use this as his Guitar Hero moment)
- Moment of Surrender (if Bono sings this live as well as he does on the album, this could be spine-tingling. Love the harmonies, but could sound a bit thin live if only Edge is on backup, unless Larry weighs in and Adam gets a microphone back on stage again?)
- I'll Go Crazy (etc) - a competent but generic U2 song that'll maybe start out in the setlist and then disappear as the tour progresses. I like the little mini solo near the end but that's the only memorable bit of this song. It seems to come from another song entirely, and since this is U2, that's possibly the truth.

New songs that could be played but may not work too well:

- Fez / Being Born. (A superb song on album, once it starts. But, if it's attempted live, drop the intro or it could be disastrous. Who wants to hear random Eno-esque noodling and some sort of alternative version of the 'Let me in the sound' section from GOYB?)
- Breathe (if U2 like it as much as Eno does, then they'll play it live. I don't see the attraction personally, but what do I know?! The chorus is good but the rest uninspiring.)
- Stand Up Comedy (I think it'll be on the setlist, but it does nothing for me, I'm afraid. At their best, U2 sound like nobody else, they're infinitely greater than 'ordinary'. But I could imagine this song being sung by all sorts of other guitar acts.)

Possible closers:

- White as Snow (this would be brilliant as an acoustic song anywhere in the set, but it could be an unexpected final song - if U2 wanted to finish on a quiet note like with Zoo TV.)
- Cedars of Lebanon (a wonderful lyric, rightly highlighted by the nondescript music and low-key, almost spoken-word, delivery. But would this be interesting live? I don't think so. Comparisons have been made with Love Is Blindness, but that song was musically and vocally awesome, powerful and terrifying. COL is a thoughtful piece far removed from that sort of intensity.)

Old songs coming back - based on the eccentricities of the last tour, I think anything's possible here, but it clearly won't be any of the songs fans hope for (eg Acrobat, Hawkmoon 269 etc). U2's notion of a rarity seems to differ from that of their fanbase, but maybe that's not a bad thing if they bring out some real surprises. What about Van Diemen's Land? If Bono's in good voice, The Unforgettable Fire?

Breathe should open.
Magnificent should close.
Other new songs they should definitely play - Boots, Stand up Comedy.
Fez Being born should play over the PA as everyone leaves (aka Grace on elevation)
NLOTH would be cool accoustic - on another note i would really love to hear an accoustic Vertigo as well. Does anyone remember Lemar covering this on radio 1's live lounge a couple of years ago? It was amazing! I would love U2 to do Vertigo like this :up:

My lil tour game

Am hyper now about the tour having heard the album. So i got to thinking....lets play my lil guessing game. It goes like this.

You have to guess which song will open the show:

Which song potentially will be the highlight:

Which songs wont get played:

So, heres my guesses

Opener: Magnificent

Highlight: Unknown Caller

Wont Get Played: Cedars of Lebanon, Fez and Sadly, White as Snow (or if it is...I can see it being done acoustic like GBHF)

Opener

Get on your Boots
Unkonw Caller

Boots is pumpy as an opener
unkown caller to take it back a bit maybe inbetween thsoe we might heare elevation or vertigo or beautiful day

Could be merged with this thread

anyway , it's amazing how different are the answer coming up (Same song ranging from "not played" to "highlight", etc). I believe there will be heavy work made to some songs in order to ready them for the live audience.

[QUOTE=Morgoth321;5915068

Opening Song - I hope it's NLOTH (either version). A good long intro and a song that cranks up the intensity, especially when the drums arrive properly. It could be lengthened into an epic opener, and I can imagine this scene: the intro music ends, the stadium goes dark, and then the guitar chords kick in thunderously. Crowd erupts and the most amazing lightshow ever seen comes alive... I can't describe why, but I think it'd just be good to open the set.

That sounds so good:drool::drool::drool:

Using Raft's post as a guideline:
- Unplayed Song: Cedars (WAS is a dead cert for the acoustic set, and Unknown Caller could be one of those great "sing-along moments". Imagine if they projected the chorus' lyrics on the megascreen and had the entire stadium chanting along...:drool:)
- Party Song: Crazy Tonight, Stand Up Comedy, or Breathe.
- Acoustic Set: White as Snow. (As I said earlier, COME ON.)
- Show Highlight (think Bono drumming on LAPOE): Either Unknown Caller played as described under "Unplayed Song", SUC, or Breathe.
- Returning Older Songs: Vertigo had a ZooTV "retro set", so it's only fair that PopMart gets its time in the sun. Sample PopMart encore setlist:
1) Discotheque
2) Last Night On Earth
3) Mofo
4) HMTMKMKM
- Closing Song: Moment of Surrender. (It's become almost a cliche for U2 to end shows with One, right? Using what a lot of people have called the "new One" as the closer would allow U2 to mix things up while still ending on a familiar note.)
- Opening Song: FEZ played over the PA while the band walks in a la PopMart's "Pop Musik" remix, followed by Magnificent.
- Totally Unexpected Song: Winter or EBW, perhaps? (Tripoli, if it's not just Being Born, might be a bit too weird for a live performance...)

- Closing Song: Moment of Surrender. (It's become almost a cliche for U2 to end shows with One, right? Using what a lot of people have called the "new One" as the closer would allow U2 to mix things up while still ending on a familiar note.)

One only closed the final encore on Popmart (sometimes with a stripped down song like WUDM or MOTD afterwards) and one Elevation show. Then it was the main set closer at most Vertigo shows, though it was originally planned as the closer of the first encore.

If they don't open with NLOTH, I don't really see it being played. It's first on the record for a reason.
They will play:
Magnificent
MOS
Crazy
Boots
Breathe
Fez (maybe????)
UC
SUC

probably not:
WAS
Cedars

The most from an album since AB??

If they don't open with NLOTH, I don't really see it being played. It's first on the record for a reason.
They will play:
Magnificent
MOS
Crazy
Boots
Breathe
Fez (maybe????)
UC
SUC

probably not:
WAS
Cedars

The most from an album since AB??

There was a time on Popmart when

Discotheque
Mofo
Staring At The Sun
Last Night On Earth
Gone
Miami
If You Wear That Velvet Dress
Please
Wake Up Dead Man

were all regulars.

If you count TGBHF, early on in Elevation,

Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment
Elevation
Walk On
Kite
In A Little While
New York
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

were all regulars.

And

Vertigo
Miracle Drug
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
City Of Blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Original Of The Species
Yahweh

were all regulars from the get-go, except for OOTS, which became a semi-regular later on.

What songs from NLOTH will feature regularly on the tour?

Methinks....
NLOTH
MAGNIFICENT
UNKNOWN CALLER
IGCIIDGCT
BOOTS
SUC
and
BREATHE

I not sure how Moment of surrrender would work out live....given that its based around an organ loop, so maybe considered cheating. (has edge EVER played anything other than piano live before?)
Cant see Fez or Cedars Of Lebanon featuring at all

Sure they could, just throw on a little more effect. I think this song will actually play out well live.

No way, this song would fall flat acoustic. This will be a great opener.

If they go sombre to close, this would be a great closer...

NLOTH would be a great opener. Magnificent needs to be a little deeper in the set.

I doubt Fez-Being Born will see a live incarnation, I'm leaning heavily towards this will be the song they walk out on stage to...

I think MOS will be a killer live song but it will see a pretty drastic change, I think we'll see a big crescendo played into this song...

Back
Top Bottom