The "casual fan" excuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please clear someting up for me were you born miserable or are you the resident JackAss on this board?

I'm asking a simple question because all of your posts seem to have a theme and I'm wondering if that's the reason you signed up...

No misery what so ever... If you thought it was "jackass" then I'm sorry.

I'm asking a simple question because all of your posts seem to have a theme and I'm wondering if that's the reason you signed up...

No misery what so ever... If you thought it was "jackass" then I'm sorry.

I would say for the most part I've been complimentary so whats your point? Last time I checked everyone was entitled to an opinion or do you have a problem with that?

I know that I went to a Jimmy Buffet show a few weeks ago... I did know about half of the songs, but I would have been felt majorly cheated had he not played Margaritaville. I'm sure that there are some people who view Pride and Streets as U2's Margaritaville.

yep. They dropped horses for new yearsday which I allways thought to be a shame. :wink:

And what did SBS replace, I can't recall off the top of my head.

My whole point was that yes, ZooTV was bold, but once again like so many other things about the 90's it gets a little too much credit... It was just as calculated.

You can repeat the pop kid quote, but it doesn't mean it was really true. They brought in two warhorses because they were uneasy about how it would work in stadiums.

Sorry about the typo on Boy there and I noticed you are a sarcastic one. I take it you probably havent been a fan for longer than 10 years and arent the hardcore fans the ones who buy the tickets wise guy?

Please expand on the average audience who are these people?

Incorrect. First show in 1983, and I've seen them mulitple times every tour including that tour. (War) 37 times total.

"Average audience" is just that. The ones that didn't care that A Cat Dubh-Into The Heart was played. Or The Ocean, or The First Time, or...so on. You know, the majority of the people at a show.

I've seen Bruce too. Mulitple times.

Also, don't forget that Popmart had 10 more songs to draw from that ZooTV... Elevation same (+20)... Vertigo same (+30)... current (+40).

EXACTLY. They have more and more songs each tour that "need" to get played, hence why your favorites may get pushed aside.

I don't think many would qualify the Karaoke songs as U2 ones... You should subtract about 10 songs from your Popmart song variation tally. Your conclusion was likely wrong.

It's still a song. But it's 14 songs, which FURTHER proves my point, that they are getting better at adding more songs to the setlists.

Daydream Believer (Edge Karaoke) (27 times played)
Suspicious Minds (Edge Karaoke) (6 times played)
Sweet Caroline (Edge Karaoke) (6 times played)
Born To Be Wild (Edge Karaoke) (3 times played)
Sugar Sugar (Edge Karaoke) (3 times played)
Radar Love (Edge Karaoke) (2 times played)
Singing In The Rain (Edge Karaoke) (2 times played)
Volare (Edge Karaoke) (2 times played)
All Kinds Of Everything (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
I Love You Love (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
Macarena (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
Sailing (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair) (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
Whiskey In The Jar (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)

Incorrect. First show in 1983, and I've seen them mulitple times every tour including that tour. (War) 37 times.

"Average audience" is just that. The ones that didn't care that A Cat Dubh-Into The Heart was played. Or The Ocean, or The First Time, or...so on. You know, the majority of the people at a show.

I've seen Bruce too. Mulitple times.

I'm impressed with the 37 shows for War but you really think that in todyas economy with ticket prices being so high that most of the audience is average compared to hardcore?

I'm impressed with the 37 shows for War but you really think that in todyas economy with ticket prices being so high that most of the audience is average compared to hardcore?

I edited to correct that, 37 times total since 1983. Saw them 2 times on War.

Yes, I do think that. If nothing else, lots of fans that saw multiple shows on the last tours might not see as many, plus you have $30 tickets for this tour which will go to a lot of the average fan...

It's still a song. But it's 14 songs, which FURTHER proves my point, that they are getting better at adding more songs to the setlists.

Daydream Believer (Edge Karaoke) (27 times played)
Suspicious Minds (Edge Karaoke) (6 times played)
Sweet Caroline (Edge Karaoke) (6 times played)
Born To Be Wild (Edge Karaoke) (3 times played)
Sugar Sugar (Edge Karaoke) (3 times played)
Radar Love (Edge Karaoke) (2 times played)
Singing In The Rain (Edge Karaoke) (2 times played)
Volare (Edge Karaoke) (2 times played)
All Kinds Of Everything (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
I Love You Love (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
Macarena (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
Sailing (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
San Francisco (Be Sure To Wear Some Flowers In Your Hair) (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)
Whiskey In The Jar (Edge Karaoke) (1 time played)

First of all, I doubt many are going to agree with you that those qualify as songs. I know you can't let it go because it supports your theory... but I think even you, on a normal day, would say that Daydream Believer (Karaoke) does not qualify as a U2 song.

So subtract 14 Karaoke songs from your Popmart grand total... and add the 10 (or whatever) new Pop songs from which U2 could draw and you've got less variation.

First of all, I doubt many are going to agree with you that those qualify as songs. I know you can't let it go because it supports your theory... but I think even you, on a normal day, would say that Daydream Believer (Karaoke) does not qualify as a U2 song.

So subtract 14 Karaoke songs from your Popmart grand total... and add the 10 (or whatever) new Pop songs from which U2 could draw and you've got less variation.

No shit. Less songs played on Popmart = They are doing a better job now mixing it up. Vertigo was the best "mix up" since before ZOO.

Lets see how well this tour goes.

No shit. Less songs played on Popmart = They are doing a better job now mixing it up. Vertigo was the best "mix up" since before ZOO.

Lets see how well this tour goes.

Vertigo, yeah probably...

We're talking about Popmart. Popmart vs. ZooTV to be exact...

It was like 55 (ZooTV) vs. 56 (PopMart) or something... marginally improving based on those figures. But the 56 (or whatever) should be 42 (we don't count the Karaoke songs... don't get me wrong, they're great... they're U2 songs though)...

And the number over which thet 42 should appear is at least +10 over ZooTV... further decreasing the variation indice.

Vertigo, yeah probably...

We're talking about Popmart. Popmart vs. ZooTV to be exact...

It was like 55 (ZooTV) vs. 56 (PopMart) or something... marginally improving based on those figures. But the 56 (or whatever) should be 42 (we don't count the Karaoke songs... don't get me wrong, they're great... they're U2 songs though)...

And the number over which thet 42 should appear is at least +10 over ZooTV... further decreasing the variation indice.

That isn't what we are arguing about. If you asked me what was a more varied show ZOO vs Pop, I would have answered you instantly that ZOO was a more varied show. Pop, once they hit their stride, Dropping Do You Feel Loved, was pretty much exactly the same other than Mr Edges Karaoke.

If you aren't happy with the setlists, DO NOT GO TO THE FUCKING SHOW. Pretty simple. (Could it be better? yes, no one is saying it's perfect, last time I checked)

I have a bigger issue of Bono not rehearsing enough and blaming Edge/Adam for his vocal screwups. But that is for another thread.

The casual fan excuse is incredibly old and has been debunked many times with, you know, logic.

Here's the best way to do it, if you ask me:

Four Staples: New Year's Day, Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name

A Rotation of Six "Warhorses:" I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, ISHFWILF, With or Without You, Bullet the Blue Sky, One, Beautiful Day

Six or Seven New Album Tracks

The Rest (7-8) a Sampling of the Rest of the Catalogue

Seems reasonable: gives the casual fan plenty of known tracks to hear, a good selection of the new album, and a good selection of the back catalogue (which many casual fans still enjoy anyway, think Electric Co.) to please the diehards. It's really a difficult formula to argue against, unless you're drinking the Kool-Aid, that is.

If you aren't happy with the setlists, DO NOT GO TO THE FUCKING SHOW. Pretty simple. (Could it be better? yes, no one is saying it's perfect, last time I checked)

That's a really stupid argument. I think it's reasonable to say you very much enjoy the show but feel like they could do a lot better if they mixed up the setlists better.

That's a really stupid argument. I think it's reasonable to say you very much enjoy the show but feel like they could do a lot better if they mixed up the setlists better.

Again, no shit. I even said that in the post you quoted....Since I go to muliple shows, I would love to hear different songs. Yet, I UNDERSTAND their logic for playing what they do, and I don't see any point to bitch about it....(Your above post would be fine by me)

In you post above you mention four songs, yet list three.

And please explain how the "Casual Fan" excuse has been "debunked"

The casual fan excuse is incredibly old and has been debunked many times with, you know, logic.

Here's the best way to do it, if you ask me:

Four Staples: New Year's Day, Bad, Where the Streets Have No Name

A Rotation of Six "Warhorses:" I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride, ISHFWILF, With or Without You, Bullet the Blue Sky, One, Beautiful Day

Six or Seven New Album Tracks

The Rest (7-8) a Sampling of the Rest of the Catalogue
It's a very reasonable setlist, but I'm not sure how this debunks the idea that casual fans are the reason for so many "warhorses"? Given your setlist it's still 10 "warhorses".

3 new songs already this show.

This thread crashed into the Claw and exploded. LOL

As I've said many times, you have to wait a few shows for the "standard setlist" to gel/materialize. All the power to U2 if they actually do start varying the set the way you're presently suggesting... but that's not what we're asking for, nor is it likely (unless they were influenced by my amazing thread).

Back
Top Bottom