The "casual fan" excuse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So U2 has to play warhorses for people who have very little clue who U2 is?

No one says they have to...

But U2 want to keep a certain energy up and they can't do that if people are sitting down during more than half the show. It's part of the double edged sword that being U2 has cost them. Just pay attention to any DVD or show from JT on and you'll see when U2 pull out the rarities or the lesser known songs people chill, when PJ pulls out a rarity people go fucking nuts. It's the difference of they type of audience they pull.

We haven't even addressed the issue of what happens to these "warhorses" (can we drop this term) when they're played night-in and night-out. Even I'm getting tired of singing these songs... I can't imagine how Bono (or Larry) feels. Do we agree that WOWY has suffered in recent tours, Streets, One... why play them if it's only in the technical sense?

Don't intend to argue this here, just a related thought...

Bono sounded just as bored on some brand new songs as he did on WOWY. That is a different issue. I was surprised by how "off" Bono sounded on opening night. He seemed tired and not into it. That has nothing to do with the songs they are playing.

We haven't even addressed the issue of what happens to these "warhorses" (can we drop this term) when they're played night-in and night-out. Even I'm getting tired of singing these songs... I can't imagine how Bono (or Larry) feels. Do we agree that WOWY has suffered in recent tours, Streets, One... why play them if it's only in the technical sense?

Don't intend to argue this here, just a related thought...

Good point. There must be moments where Edge is thinking during WOWY: didnt we play this better 20 years ago? And if so, why play it still. Why play songs that are a shadow off their former glory when there is o much material that can be played with and actualy better(like UF which sounds amazing and is incredibe)

I am not paying attention to the banter around me, I pay attention to the band that has become the biggest band in the world through people like you and me who actually buy the records, see all the tours and know the songs. :wink:

Well then listen to the banter before and after the show, and also see if you notice that the talking raises when a lesser known song comes on, it's very telling.

i'm not goin to get into any speculation, but just tell you people what numerous casual U2 fans WANT to hear at a U2 concert:

With or Without You
Streets
Beautiful Day
Pride
One
Vertigo

These are the ones that almost every single one of the casual fans I know wants to hear. After these most people want songs like Elevation, Sunday Bloody Sunday, I Still Haven't Found, All I Want Is You etc.

Again, please note that none of this is speculation on my behalf; I somehow seem to know a lot of casual U2 fans and they openly say they want to hear the aforementioned stuff when they go to see a U2 show.

So even though I would personally want to see a different setlist than what the band normally gives us, I completely understand and support their choice of setlist as it is (filled with a good number of "old warhorses" or whatever). And given that U2 has always been very open about how it is a band for the masses, I really don't understand why ppl would expect any different

Oh, but they once were. ZOOTV, come to think of it. THOSE were gutsy shows.

How that couple of lines before Numb(ZOOTV Sydney) keep ringing in my ear the last couple of days

They want new material. You can not sell the same old thing to the same old crowd forever. How easy they seem to have forgotten

Or Bono on that same tour (openingnight): We might lose some of the popkids but we don't need them.

Come back mirrorballman, you are greatly missed sometimes:sad:

You are right... "We might lose some of the Pop Kids, but we don't need them".

How that couple of lines before Numb(ZOOTV Sydney) keep ringing in my ear the last couple of days

They want new material. You can not sell the same old thing to the same old crowd forever. How easy they seem to have forgotten

Or Bono on that same tour (openingnight): We might lose some of the popkids but we don't need them.

Yeah that's why they said, "we'll never play SBS or NYD again" and then just a few short weeks later guess what songs came into rotation? :lol:

But U2 want to keep a certain energy up and they can't do that if people are sitting down during more than half the show. It's part of the double edged sword that being U2 has cost them. Just pay attention to any DVD or show from JT on and you'll see when U2 pull out the rarities or the lesser known songs people chill, when PJ pulls out a rarity people go fucking nuts. It's the difference of they type of audience they pull.

Now THAT is a good argument:up:

So actually I love the wrong band or better yet : the band draws the wrong people which "surprisingly" doesnt contradict one another:wink:

1984-2009 :sad:

BOY- OCTOBER, OUT OF CONTROL (DEFINATLY) AND MAYBE A DAY WITHOUT ME SNIPPET LIKE IN UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY.

OCTOBER- AT LEAST PLAY THE SONG OCTOBER

WAR- SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY, NEW YEARS DAY, SURRENDER, DROWNING MAN 40 (LAST SONG_

TUF- PRIDE, BAD, A SORT OF HOMECOMING, AND PROMENADE

JOSHUA TREE- STREETS, WITH OR W/O YOU, BULLET, RUNNING, RED HILL MINING TOWN, EXIT

RATTLE - DESIRE, HEARTLAND , ALL I WANT IS YOU

ACHTUNG- ZOO STATION, FLY, MYSTERIOUS, ONE, ACROBAT, LOVE IS BLINDNESS

ATYCLB- BEAUTIFUL DAY -KITE

HTDAB- VERTIGO MIRACLE DRUG/ CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE

NLOTH- MAGNIFICENT, FEZ

NOW THATS A SET LIST......:wave:

So you want a greatest hits(your greatest hits) tour?

Two songs from the new album? Lame.

ZOO TV (My favorite tour, it's my personalized license plate)
54 different songs played during 158 shows

PopMart
55 different songs played during 94 shows

Elevation
51 different songs played during 113 shows

Vertigo
60 different songs played during 132 shows

I'd say they have gotten a little better since ZOO TV at adding some new material and mixing it up.

But U2 want to keep a certain energy up and they can't do that if people are sitting down during more than half the show.

People will stand up for other songs that the greatest, greatest hits... that's the whole debate here.

Yeah that's why they said, "we'll never play SBS or NYD again" and then just a few short weeks later guess what songs came into rotation? :lol:

Dont insult my setlistknowledge please BVS :wink:
New yearsday wasn't played during the first leg of ZOOTV same goes for Sunday Bloody Sunday

So you want a greatest hits(your greatest hits) tour?
And you seem to have a problem with this why?

Two songs from the new album? Lame.

Well BVS I think those are all great songs that should be played and In my opinion the New Album is LAME thats why it only gets two songs.

BOY- OCTOBER, OUT OF CONTROL (DEFINATLY) AND MAYBE A DAY WITHOUT ME SNIPPET LIKE IN UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY.

OCTOBER- AT LEAST PLAY THE SONG OCTOBER

WAR- SUNDAY BLOODY SUNDAY, NEW YEARS DAY, SURRENDER, DROWNING MAN 40 (LAST SONG_

TUF- PRIDE, BAD, A SORT OF HOMECOMING, AND PROMENADE

JOSHUA TREE- STREETS, WITH OR W/O YOU, BULLET, RUNNING, RED HILL MINING TOWN, EXIT

RATTLE - DESIRE, HEARTLAND , ALL I WANT IS YOU

ACHTUNG- ZOO STATION, FLY, MYSTERIOUS, ONE, ACROBAT, LOVE IS BLINDNESS

ATYCLB- BEAUTIFUL DAY -KITE

HTDAB- VERTIGO MIRACLE DRUG/ CITY OF BLINDING LIGHTS CRUMBS FROM YOUR TABLE

NLOTH- MAGNIFICENT, FEZ

NOW THATS A SET LIST......:wave:

Caps lock stuck?

Again, while hard core fans might like this, the average audience would leave before the show was over. Plus you might want to look at a Boy CD to see what songs are actually on it.

PopMart

Elevation

Vertigo

I'd say they have gotten a little better since ZOO TV at adding some new material and mixing it up.

VERTIGO was FANTASTIC but I guarantee you that this tour they wont reach that amount of songs. If they do I will publicly admit I was wrong and will send you my autographed picture of Bono:up:

PopMart

Elevation

Vertigo

Yeah, I just loved Daydream Believer (Karaoke)

Caps lock stuck? NO!

Again, while hard core fans might like this, the average audience would leave before the show was over. Plus you might want to look at a Boy CD to see what songs are actually on it [/quote]

Sorry about the typo on Boy there and I noticed you are a sarcastic one. I take it you probably havent been a fan for longer than 10 years and arent the hardcore fans the ones who buy the tickets wise guy?

Please expand on the average audience who are these people?

And this proves my point. I actually liked the Karaoke bit on Popmart. You might not have. Can't please everyone.

I don't think many would qualify the Karaoke songs as U2 ones... You should subtract about 10 songs from your Popmart song variation tally. Your conclusion was likely wrong.

Back
Top Bottom