The awesomeness of Unknown Caller

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still say UC is the best thing they've done since The Fly! Honestly- the main thing and almost the only thing I'm looking forward to on U2360 is hearing that song live! I really hope they will... but I have a feeling something like SUC or Crazy Tonight will be played.

I really wish most of all that Vertigo would be dropped... seeing as It is virtually the same song as 'Boots to me- But of course they will play it. Casual fans have to say "Hey they're playing that ipod commercial! OMG!"

Of course they will play Crazy, it's their next single.

But I don't understand this "I hope they will play _____ but I have a feeling that SUC will be played" that doesn't make any sense to me, why can't they play both? :shrug:

It would be such a waste if they didn't play UC, the solo was tailor made for live performances. And yes, it is a brilliant song and my favourite on NLOTH definitely. :up:

Although I have a gut feeling it might not be played. :sad:

I hope they do, the solo would be so :drool:

But who will be all the voices in the chorus?

And who will play the organ?

And how will they get these birds to sing on stage?

Difficult song to play live.

Same with stuck in a moment .... live ....
organ is a backingtrack i assume?
the intro at until the end of the world is also a recording. It must be possible.

I hope! :D I want to hear that solo

But I don't understand this "I hope they will play _____ but I have a feeling that SUC will be played" that doesn't make any sense to me, why can't they play both? :shrug:

Oh, I hope they play Crazy Tonight also, it's really grown on me

NLOTH (given)
Magnificent
MOS
UC
Breathe

There's 5 there already, with Unknown Caller included. Yet I've missed GOYB and SUC, which I think they want to play. Also, they'll probably try to pull a WAS or COL on us. All of which doesn't look good for UC chances.

We see the return of Adam and Larry on vocals. Them + Edge = chorus easily. Backing track +/or Lawless for the other parts. I don't see it as a hard song to do live really...no harder than COBL or Streets. There were alot of equally if not more complex songs off the last album, really.

because that means one chance less of a long lost gem being played.
something like that?:wink:

I think some of you are following the "5 song" parameter a little too close...

This is U2, we all know they speak a different language than us.

Granted, no one knows for sure. However, if I had to take a guess at the statistical probability of 5 songs vs 6 or more, I think 5 would be the safest bet.

Having said that, being wrong would also be great! ;)

Well, I'm guessing Edge wouldn't want to miss the chance of playing that solo live...and they said UC is everyone's favourite or second favourite off the album.

i'm still betting on 7-8 NLOTH songs on opening night.

NLOTH
Magnifent
MOS
Unknown Caller
Crazy Tonight
Get On Your Boots
Fez-Being Born
Breathe

something just tells me that they're going to play Fez. i think they're just that proud of it, considering it almost opened the album.

I think some of you are following the "5 song" parameter a little too close...

This is U2, we all know they speak a different language than us.

Is that the language called "we are not able to play some of our own best songs live while coverbands can" you are talking about? God, that is pretty difficult to understand indeed and pretty frustrating when you speak 6 other languages fluently. :wave:

I hope the solo is beefed up a notched... its not quite there on the record. I hope it ups the volume and intensity live a-la Electric Co on the Chicago DVD

I hope the solo is beefed up a notched... its not quite there on the record. I hope it ups the volume and intensity live a-la Electric Co on the Chicago DVD

Well an interesting thing about that...I find that all Edge really has to do is just be higher/out front in the mix, which he usually is live. For some reason he tends to be back a bit in the studio mixes. :shrug:

unknown caller has end song written all over it, i can imagine the song being played right at the end, then when the end solo starts, bono does his clap and walk off stage bit, edge and adam clayton do a walk around the catwalk during the long solo to thank the crowd, then it ends and all three walk off to thunderous applause =D

I agree. (about it being an awesome song) This quickly has become my of my NLOTH favorites. With regard to the tour, I think it would be a good opener. They definitely have many options overall and more than likely "have" to open with a new song. Of course Magnificent sits on many lists to be the opener but if you really listen to the song as a whole it would almost be perfect.

The bagpipe sounding intro will certainly get everyone's attention and with almost a lead time of 1 minute (which they easily could stretch to two, simply by building the sound up) gives the band plenty of time to walk out on stage, get settled and not to mention bring the crowd into a frenzy.

Talk about fan interaction. Bono and the boys need not strain themselves on this song. Bono just has to sing his parts and the fans will do the rest. I guarantee from night one, if someone gets a decent boot of Barcelona, the crowd will sound louder and clearer than what is recorded in the studio on the album on the "oh oh oh ohhhoh - oh oh oh ohhhhohhs" as well as the "caller" parts. (This is not to say Adam, Larry and Edge will not be singing along).

Lights - if those screens do what many have said they can do, it would be cool to see them take shape of the sun and just get really bright as Bono (or Edge) sings "Sunshine. . .Sunshine". This is the goosebump moment!!!

This is simply a perfect "warmup" song and needless to say WILL bring the crowd to a controllable frenzy (or uncontrollable - depends how you look at it). It ends perfectly to either segue into a new song or give Bono a few seconds or minutes to welcome the crowd to 360 and "How do you like the claw" as Edge leads into the next number to bring down the house. The next song will dictate the tempo for the first wave whether they continue quietly (with something like "Drowning Man") or something more frenetic like "Boots".

I personally would like to see them open with "Caller" but who knows, they always open with something perfect and whatever they choose will start those chills down our backs and get us fired up for the 2 1/2 hour roller coaster ride to come!!

I agree. (about it being an awesome song) This quickly has become my of my NLOTH favorites. With regard to the tour, I think it would be a good opener. They definitely have many options overall and more than likely "have" to open with a new song. Of course Magnificent sits on many lists to be the opener but if you really listen to the song as a whole it would almost be perfect.

The bagpipe sounding intro will certainly get everyone's attention and with almost a lead time of 1 minute (which they easily could stretch to two, simply by building the sound up) gives the band plenty of time to walk out on stage, get settled and not to mention bring the crowd into a frenzy.

Talk about fan interaction. Bono and the boys need not strain themselves on this song. Bono just has to sing his parts and the fans will do the rest. I guarantee from night one, if someone gets a decent boot of Barcelona, the crowd will sound louder and clearer than what is recorded in the studio on the album on the "oh oh oh ohhhoh - oh oh oh ohhhhohhs" as well as the "caller" parts. (This is not to say Adam, Larry and Edge will not be singing along).

Lights - if those screens do what many have said they can do, it would be cool to see them take shape of the sun and just get really bright as Bono (or Edge) sings "Sunshine. . .Sunshine". This is the goosebump moment!!!

This is simply a perfect "warmup" song and needless to say WILL bring the crowd to a controllable frenzy (or uncontrollable - depends how you look at it). It ends perfectly to either segue into a new song or give Bono a few seconds or minutes to welcome the crowd to 360 and "How do you like the claw" as Edge leads into the next number to bring down the house. The next song will dictate the tempo for the first wave whether they continue quietly (with something like "Drowning Man") or something more frenetic like "Boots".

I personally would like to see them open with "Caller" but who knows, they always open with something perfect and whatever they choose will start those chills down our backs and get us fired up for the 2 1/2 hour roller coaster ride to come!!
Before reading this post, I thought Magnificent should be the opener. Now...not so much. :drool::drool::drool:

The audience! They could put the lyrics on-screen, like the GOYB Oscars performance. Now THERE'S a "big moment" that'd put Bono drumming on LAPOE to shame.
...Although, admittedly, it wouldn't have a cool associated smilie. :bonodrum:

I think it'll work well live, where everyone can ignore the fact that it's a lyrical abomination. I look forward to it. It'll be a lot of fun, like Elevation, another awful lyric.

Back
Top Bottom