[Spoiler] has been played live - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 09-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:29 AM
[Spoiler] has been played live

You can die happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QS6tiSVILXQ

Old 09-12-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
New Yorker

Local Time: 09:29 PM

Old 09-12-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Secretly listening to a U2 record that's beyond the greatness of Achtung Baby and Joshua Tree while eating brownies. In The Hive™.
Wow this sounds amazing! Bono's voice is just . I cannot wait to get a finished studio recording of this!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 PM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 01:29 AM
for this moments is that U2 is my band
Old 09-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 08:29 PM

I don't know how I feel about the changes they've made to the song. Oh well; it's still good to see it get played!
Old 09-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #6
War Child

There were some noticable changes to the chorus from the demo version from HTDAAB.

I'm glad they played it live.
Old 09-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #7
Refugee

Thanks so much for bringing this to our attention, but I must say I'm disappointed. Although the idea of a more frequent chorus isn't a bad one, it's not better and is arrived at far too suddenly, which upsets the song's contemplative feel; the part during which Bono sings "Because, because" is particularly awful.

They perhaps wisely took out:

"If you were ice, I'm water
And with your telescope, I can see further
We're binary code: a one and a zero
You wanted fire ___ and you got____"

Maybe that was for the best, since he kept the stronger lyrics. Yet these lyrics that sounded pretty good needed to be made more subtle and original to be fantastic and this hasn't happened.

I also prefer the guitar sound over the piano line, which is far too simple. Piano should have more loud and soft or maybe Eno can persuade them to use more textured synths. The piano thing is a crutch they've used on "City of Blinding Lights" and other songs; I don't like it. What happened to those piano lessons, Bono?

Later in the song, the entire set of verses with him singing "feel nothing" has been ejected along with its more climactic moments. It's just not grand anymore. The earlier version was also more experimental and ambitious, I think. U2 is going in the wrong direction. The song's melodies haven't acquired any more complexity and have actually lost some of the build up; I don't like Edge's new guitar solo, either.

Anyway, I'm glad the song is still in the running and I'm not trying to rain on anyone's parade, but I hope U2 might read this and I must be honest in my disappointment.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:10 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

u2 really blew this one imo. They obviously are trying too hard to write bad lyrics and a boring melody without enough politics and once again they are taking sides with Israel instead of Palestine. Obviously Mercy is a prayer and u2 are clearly taking sides on the west bank.

What i would really like to see is u2 take a good long look at the remake of 'Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' before they write anymore songs. Surely if they watch WW they would know that there's more to life than milk and honey.

More importantly, next tour they can re-create the chocloate factory complete with the glass elevator & Oompa-Loompas.

I really hope u2 might read this and rain chocolate milk down on our parade with the udders of a thousand brown mother cows, thus quenching our disappointment.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:26 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Not that I'm at all affected by this, but I think it's a pretty crummy thing to put a spoiler in a thread title in a part of the forum that is unrelated to the tour. I'd be pretty upset if I had been avoiding the tour section to keep away from spoilers, and saw this thread. Especially if I was planning on seeing the next show.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 PM   #10
New Yorker

Local Time: 02:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
u2 really blew this one imo. They obviously are trying too hard to write bad lyrics and a boring melody without enough politics and once again they are taking sides with Israel instead of Palestine. Obviously Mercy is a prayer and u2 are clearly taking sides on the west bank.

What i would really like to see is u2 take a good long look at the remake of 'Willie Wonka & the Chocolate Factory' before they write anymore songs. Surely if they watch WW they would know that there's more to life than milk and honey.

More importantly, next tour they can re-create the chocloate factory complete with the glass elevator & Oompa-Loompas.

I really hope u2 might read this and rain chocolate milk down on our parade with the udders of a thousand brown mother cows, thus quenching our disappointment.
Someone with some sense
Old 09-12-2010, 07:32 PM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by unico View Post
Not that I'm at all affected by this, but I think it's a pretty crummy thing to put a spoiler in a thread title in a part of the forum that is unrelated to the tour. I'd be pretty upset if I had been avoiding the tour section to keep away from spoilers, and saw this thread. Especially if I was planning on seeing the next show.
someone with some sense
Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Garrison View Post
u2 really blew this one imo.
+1

They totally ruined a fantastic song. It's no longer an epic U2 "classic" with great structure. Instead it's become a ramble of nonsense with clunky lyrics.

I thought the chorus of "All Because of You" was uninventive, but Bono's outdone himself - he's trimmed 3 words to be just left with a single word "because, because, because..." zzzz.

This song NEEDS to be 6 minutes long. It has a story to tell and they've butchered it.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

i hate change.......we can believe in!
Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolian2 View Post
someone with some sense
:koss: it happens, occasionally.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
The Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocky View Post
+1

They totally ruined a fantastic song. It's no longer an epic U2 "classic" with great structure. Instead it's become a ramble of nonsense with clunky lyrics.

I thought the chorus of "All Because of You" was uninventive, but Bono's outdone himself - he's trimmed 3 words to be just left with a single word "because, because, because..." zzzz.

This song NEEDS to be 6 minutes long. It has a story to tell and they've butchered it.
hmm i don't think you really read the rest of Mrs. Garrison's post