"Spanish Eyes" in Barcelona!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTVTOURist

Refugee
When U2 open their world tour in Spain, I keep my fingers crossed, a full electric rocking "Spanish Eyes" will make it in the setlist this time.:drool: Unfortunately ignored during their last stay in 2005 (though at least rehearsed) this gem B-side from THE JOSHUA TREE, rarely performed, was played here and then, when U2 toured Spain. "Spanish Eyes" would rock – for sure also the people, who feel more Catalan than Spanish. So, please, request this tune!

Fun fact: Spanish Eyes has only been played on alternating tours since its debut. i.e. it was played on JT, not on Lovetown, played on ZooTV, not on Popmart, played on Elevation, not on Vertigo. The ZooTV and Elevation appearances were limited to one concert each - San Sebastian on the former, Barcelona (the only Spanish Elevation gig) on the latter.

I'd love the band to play it again.

Considering it is the first night of the tour, the band will struggle with the tour regulars (when was the last time they sounded well-rehearsed on the first night? ZooTV?), so the inclusion of a relatively obscure B-side that would need further extra rehearsing will probably be too much for Bono's lazy ass.

On the other hand, I'm all up for it.

I wouldn't say they sounded well rehearsed on ZooTV's first show either - compare it to a show a couple of weeks later and it's noticeably rusty. Honestly, I don't think the band's sounded that polished on ANY tour opener.

And yeah, that factor certainly makes me concerned we may not see Spanish Eyes this tour. That said, there's still 2010 and another European leg to come!

I wouldn't say they sounded well rehearsed on ZooTV's first show either - compare it to a show a couple of weeks later and it's noticeably rusty. Honestly, I don't think the band's sounded that polished on ANY tour opener.

And yeah, that factor certainly makes me concerned we may not see Spanish Eyes this tour. That said, there's still 2010 and another European leg to come!

Don't give up that fast – count on your statistics and we will rock with "Spanish Eyes"...

Wey hey hey, baby hang on
Empty heart, beat tight as a drum
Said empty love, she'd shine like a song
Wey hey hey, baby hang on (to anything)

Our love shines like rain
In those spanish eyes
Spanish eyes

Wey hey hey, here she comes
She comes in colors
You know she gonna turn the daylight on
'cause I love the way you talk to me
And I love the way you walk on me
And I need you more
Oh, than you need me

Our love shines like rain
In those spanish eyes
Spanish eyes

I'll cross the world for green and gold
But it's those Spanish eyes
That get me home...home again

Wey hey hey, you know that
The night is young
Dazzled by lights that shine in your eyes
I'm standing in the shadows
And wait for the night
Forever in fever, forever in heat
You pick me up to put me out on the street

Wey hey hey, baby hang on, hang on
Wey hey hey, baby hang on, hang on
'cause I love the way you talk to me
And I love the way you're mean to me
And I need you

Spanish Eyes is coming back for Barcelona. I know its the 1st night, but it is one of those special occasion songs like Party Girl, so they will HOPEFULLY try and throw it in there. Love this song, on JT B-Sides and Live.

One of my favorite U2 live performances is the MSG Spanish Eyes w. the stage jumping drunk pulling the microphone from Bono and Bono, yanking it back, saying "you picked the wrong night for an arm wrestle, sonny."

The one Elevation tour performance was great, the song was in mint condition!

Spanish Eyes is coming back for Barcelona. I know its the 1st night, but it is one of those special occasion songs like Party Girl, so they will HOPEFULLY try and throw it in there. Love this song, on JT B-Sides and Live.

:applaud::applaud::applaud::applaud:

I just remembered from watching that Elevation video again, thanks ZooTVTourist!!

A couple things:
1.This was basically a non rehearsed, or at best, a couple times ran through before the show performance. Nothing too pre planned, as can be seen in Bono's "fucked up" warning and in his calling for a guitar solo. Performances of this song are flat awesome- they show U2 at their spontaneous best, and they also seem to have alot of fun playing this song. Adam is really into it, the Edge is in full concentrating mode, even while doing his little dance, and Larry is back there smashing away like no tomorrw. I mean, you could be forgiven for thinking this energy was imported straight from one of their 80s shows.
2.)You can hear the intro of SBS after this. Usually on the Elevation tour, Out of Control or I will Follow(an early rocker, in other words) occupied this slot. I want to be corrected by AXVER if this is wrong. Great idea!- whatever early rocker has been played every other night, simply throw Spanish Eyes in for the occasion in its place. Spain has heard I will follow enough times, and will again.

if i get a ticket on wednesday morning ill be
seeing plenty of spanish eyes LOL

they might throw it in you never know:D
good tune too why not play it in Barca

Would be great, too - if some of you guys up front, might have a (small!) request sign for Bono & Co. Would be awesome to have that "gem" in the setlist: "Spanish Eyes":drool:

Usually on the Elevation tour, Out of Control or I will Follow(an early rocker, in other words) occupied this slot. I want to be corrected by AXVER if this is wrong. Great idea!- whatever early rocker has been played every other night, simply throw Spanish Eyes in for the occasion in its place. Spain has heard I will follow enough times, and will again.

Quite correct that an early rocker preceded SBS. What they did in Spain was they actually did BOTH. IWF wasn't taken out of the set; they simply did IWF --> Spanish Eyes --> SBS.

It was also Edge's birthday, so they did Party Girl as well as Spanish Eyes and the set was accordingly the longest in Europe. The full set: U2 Barcelona, 2001-08-08, Palau Sant Jordi, Elevation Tour - U2 on tour

It may've been the only Spanish Elevation show (WTF? One small arena show for all of Spain!), but they sure got a good gig.

Quite correct that an early rocker preceded SBS. What they did in Spain was they actually did BOTH. IWF wasn't taken out of the set; they simply did IWF --> Spanish Eyes --> SBS.

It was also Edge's birthday, so they did Party Girl as well as Spanish Eyes and the set was accordingly the longest in Europe.

You forgot Turin. There U2 did the unthinkable - a real unplanned encore with "Pride" and "Out of Control". 24 songs (23 in Barcelona, since I don't count Happy Birthday as a real song, so to speak).

And I definitely agree with you about the Barcelona show being the only one for Spain WTF?. As I recall, Portugal didn't have any Elevation show as well. The new tour covers more compared to the Elevation one, and it ain't covering a whole lot. But I'm just happy Zagreb is getting a show. :)

You forgot Turin. There U2 did the unthinkable - a real unplanned encore with "Pride" and "Out of Control". 24 songs (23 in Barcelona, since I don't count Happy Birthday as a real song, so to speak).

And I definitely agree with you about the Barcelona show being the only one for Spain WTF?. As I recall, Portugal didn't have any Elevation show as well. The new tour covers more compared to the Elevation one, and it ain't covering a whole lot. But I'm just happy Zagreb is getting a show. :)

Oh woops, I had it in my head that Barcelona was one song longer than Turin, not the other way around (I don't count Happy Birthday either). Thanks for pointing that out!

Yeah, the Elevation schedule was pretty bizarre. I don't know what arenas are like in Spain and Portugal, but even if the Barcelona one was the only suitable venue for the tour, you'd think common sense would dictate multiple shows. Three at the very least! Well, at least Vertigo had four stadium concerts in Spain and Portugal.

Very glad to see U2 are finally going to Croatia! :up:

Maybe I'll see you there. Any plans for European shows, Ax?

Wish I could make it but I have to be back in Australia by then. I'm coming over for the Paris, Amsterdam, and Dublin shows. Can't wait.

Now it would be even enough to play "only" Spanish Eyes ...:drool:

Now that it looks like Barcelona may end up with three gigs, then Spanish Eyes is probably more of a chance ...

Now that it looks like Barcelona may end up with three gigs, then Spanish Eyes is probably more of a chance ...

Now the question: Which night will it b performed, my mate? Any statistics, that give us a hint?:wave:

I think the sheer fact it's a third night bodes well. I'm sure we're all familiar with U2's tendency to deviate a bit from the norm on their final night in cities with 3+ shows. The fact there might be three shows to play the song at means it's got more chance of being played than if there were only one. I still don't expect it on opening night, but I do not think it is out of the question for the second and third nights. I'm not going to say that I think it's ONLY possible on the rumoured third night, but if it's going to happen on any night, that's the one. Opening night will obviously be rough and the band will try to stick to an anticipated standard set. Second night will be working out the kinks after analysing opening night. Third night, they'll probably be more relaxed, more willing to play something just for fun, and to toast a good start to the tour.

The odds unfortunately are still stacked against us. The fact it's the start of the tour; the fact Spanish Eyes has not been played in a stadium since 1987. But I now don't think cautious optimism is misplaced. U2 DO like to celebrate 3+ night stands in a city, usually with Party Girl but sometimes with other treats too. So let's hope the third show is confirmed!

Back
Top Bottom