Songs that are being played on the current tour that you're f**king sick of and WHY: - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > U2 360° Tour Central - 2009 / 2010 / 2011 Archive > Set Lists & Songs
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 05:52 PM
Songs that are being played on the current tour that you're f**king sick of and WHY:

I've just felt like venting a little bit about some of the songs that have been set list staples for the 360 tour so far. Feel free to add your thoughts as well:

1 - MLK - holy shit am I tired of this song. First of all, Bono doesn't even sing the full song. He sings one verse of it. If they're going to waste a song slot playing this, can't he at least sing the entire song. Still, I don't think they should waste a slot for this. If Bono will just be singing a single verse, he should use it as more of a snippet at the beginning of another song.

2 - Walk On - good God, just drop it already. Suu Kyi is being released and you've gotten your point across. Sure, this song was nice being brought back after Elevation, but now that it's been a staple for THREE legs, it's gotten boring and repetitive. Switch it with something else. (I'm thinking Kite or One Tree Hill!)

3 - One - I'm not going to bitch a lot about this one, because I know they'll never drop it. But this song really bores me after five straight tours of playing it every night. But it's really only the first two and a half to three minutes. Once the song really gets into its stride and they hit Edge's solo, I love it and I'm thinking "Oh god oh god this song is amazing!" But that feeling only lasts for a little bit. So that's my little vent session on that one

4 - In A Little While - it's been fun and a good time, but seriously. Time to go. Four ATYCLB songs is TOO much. Those slots could be filled by some awesome tunes like Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, One Tree Hill, Bad, and many others. Beautiful Day would be enough ATYCLB representation for me, but they'll include Elevation almost every night as well. Kick In A Little While and Walk On out and I'll be happy.

5 - Elevation - It's a fun rocker that really gets the audience going, but I think it's time to be shelved for a little while. This is probably the die-hard U2 fan in me talking, but they should replace it with a different song, I'm thinking maybe The Fly, God Part II, or Two Hearts Beat As One. Sure, they won't get the audience as excited as the 'moles in holes with souls' song does, but a new song in this slot would be fun and exciting and new!

Thats about it for me right now. I could go on and on about which songs should be brought back, which songs should always stay in the set, and which songs should be shelved and never played live again. But that's for another time, another place!

Old 10-22-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
War Child

The only songs on which I agree with you are Walk On and In a Little While. But that you can do a list like this and leave off With or Without You is remarkable. WOWY hasn't gone off live for about 23 years.

Old 10-22-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Galeonbroad

Local Time: 02:52 AM
All complaints about the setlist HERE

Oh and IALW needs to be put six feet under. Forever.
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 10-22-2010, 12:47 PM   #4
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPU2 View Post
The only songs on which I agree with you are Walk On and In a Little While. But that you can do a list like this and leave off With or Without You is remarkable. WOWY hasn't gone off live for about 23 years.
I thought about WOWY, but I decided that ultimately, I like it every night. It always moves me and makes me feel good. Sure, Bono doesn't sing it the same as he did in the late 80's, but it's still an awesome song.

So I left it off.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:58 PM   #5
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 07:52 PM
I'm going with IALW. Maybe it's the placement in the setlist, but wow, talk about sucking the energy out of place. If I never hear that song again it will be too soon. I could almost stand hearing Stuck in it's place and that's saying a lot since I absolutely hate that song also.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:32 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

What a great idea for a thread!

IALW is awesome btw.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Refugee

Local Time: 01:52 AM
Quote:
The only songs on which I agree with you are Walk On and In a Little While.
Agree. They're definitely songs that needs to go, not necessarily because they're bad (I don't think they are) but because they're getting weared off and could easily be filled by other songs. I don't think the audience will despair too much if these two goes, neither will I.

Quote:
But that you can do a list like this and leave off With or Without You is remarkable. WOWY hasn't gone off live for about 23 years.
I don't agree with you on this, but that's from the perspective of what's best for the show. Personally I wouldn't mind that it got a little breather, but most of the audience would be really disappointed if it wasn't played. It's a classic U2 song that 99,999% of the audience is familiar with and that most of them really like. It'd be foolish to leave it off.

Perhaps they could come up with a different arrangement for it. Bono seems to be pretty sick of it as well (he isn't nearly as commited to it in his singing as before), so changing up a few things would perhaps make it feel fresh again.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
One. It works very well on Achtung Baby and in its spot in the ZooTV setlist but it should have been retired after that. It is a nice song to listen to once in a while like So Cruel and Love Is Blindness but it has been played so much that I can not stand to listen to a live version of it anymore. The worst part is that it is fairly straightfoward with very little difference between each tour.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #9
Refugee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwtape2 View Post
One. It works very well on Achtung Baby and in its spot in the ZooTV setlist but it should have been retired after that. It is a nice song to listen to once in a while like So Cruel and Love Is Blindness but it has been played so much that I can not stand to listen to a live version of it anymore. The worst part is that it is fairly straightfoward with very little difference between each tour.
This is exactly how I feel.

The only part I actually enjoy of the song now is the live solo. Other than that, I usually skip this song when it comes up on shuffle.
Old 10-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #10
War Child

Walk On - Just fucking sick of it. Doesn't fit the space theme, the claw, etc. just get rid of it.

One - Bono can't sing it like he used to. Hasn't had a decent live version since Popmart. Replace with Please.

Elevation - Fun song but there's so many better 90s rockers that can replace it. Discotheque, EBTTRT, The Fly, etc.

In a little while - No explanation needed.

Beautiful Day - Boring. Boring. Boring. Replace with NLOTH.

With Or Without U - Same reason as One. Replace with All I Want is You.

Sunday Bloody Sunday - Great song but come on! So many other great 80s protest songs that deserve to be played. Replace with Like a Song.

I Still Haven't Found... - Same reason as One and WOWY. Replace with One Tree Hill.
Old 10-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge25 View Post
5 - Elevation - It's a fun rocker that really gets the audience going, but I think it's time to be shelved for a little while. This is probably the die-hard U2 fan in me talking, but they should replace it with a different song, I'm thinking maybe The Fly, God Part II, or Two Hearts Beat As One.
I really hope they rediscover God Part II on this tour. It hasn't been played since Lovetown, and it sounds so good live:

Also, I certainly wouldn't object to The Fly, as it's the one song I've wanted to see live ever since I became a U2 fan.

(On-topic: IALW, ISHFWILF, and WOWY.)
Old 10-22-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEdge25 View Post
I've just felt like venting a little bit about some of the songs that have been set list staples for the 360 tour so far. Feel free to add your thoughts as well:

1 - MLK - holy shit am I tired of this song. First of all, Bono doesn't even sing the full song. He sings one verse of it. If they're going to waste a song slot playing this, can't he at least sing the entire song. Still, I don't think they should waste a slot for this. If Bono will just be singing a single verse, he should use it as more of a snippet at the beginning of another song.

2 - Walk On - good God, just drop it already. Suu Kyi is being released and you've gotten your point across. Sure, this song was nice being brought back after Elevation, but now that it's been a staple for THREE legs, it's gotten boring and repetitive. Switch it with something else. (I'm thinking Kite or One Tree Hill!)

3 - One - I'm not going to bitch a lot about this one, because I know they'll never drop it. But this song really bores me after five straight tours of playing it every night. But it's really only the first two and a half to three minutes. Once the song really gets into its stride and they hit Edge's solo, I love it and I'm thinking "Oh god oh god this song is amazing!" But that feeling only lasts for a little bit. So that's my little vent session on that one

4 - In A Little While - it's been fun and a good time, but seriously. Time to go. Four ATYCLB songs is TOO much. Those slots could be filled by some awesome tunes like Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World, One Tree Hill, Bad, and many others. Beautiful Day would be enough ATYCLB representation for me, but they'll include Elevation almost every night as well. Kick In A Little While and Walk On out and I'll be happy.

5 - Elevation - It's a fun rocker that really gets the audience going, but I think it's time to be shelved for a little while. This is probably the die-hard U2 fan in me talking, but they should replace it with a different song, I'm thinking maybe The Fly, God Part II, or Two Hearts Beat As One. Sure, they won't get the audience as excited as the 'moles in holes with souls' song does, but a new song in this slot would be fun and exciting and new!

Thats about it for me right now. I could go on and on about which songs should be brought back, which songs should always stay in the set, and which songs should be shelved and never played live again. But that's for another time, another place!
I agree with everything except placing One in your list.

Anyways....

MLK - Bye bye

Walk On - Would prefer Mothers of the Disappeared (the album version) but I don't really care, Walk On is one of my favorites from ATYCLB. But it's getting old.

In A Little While - U2, please. What alot of us want you to do to this song is not happening. Great song but a killer in a 360 setlist.

Elevation - I really LOVE this song, but it's getting old. It can be in rotation with another song, just less appearances.

Otherwise, that's all. The rest of the setlist is just great.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:15 PM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:52 PM
Streets. FUCK THAT SONG TO HELL.

Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:52 AM
Going in usual setlist order:

Mysterious Ways: Only because of the lack of the solo. It sounds so neutered and pathetic this tour. If they played it properly, I wouldn't be mentioning it in this post. I'd even prefer it if they experimented with the acoustic version from the Barcelona rehearsals rather than this miserable cop-out.

Elevation: Does it really need to have been played at almost every show for the last ten years? So many better rockers to fire up the crowd.

I Still Haven't Found: Ugh. Bono's new speech song. There's just not much left this song any more. Boring, dull, boring, dull. The only thing that has occasionally redeemed it are quality snippets at the end, but sitting through Bono's speech and a by-the-numbers performance of ISHFWILF for 30 seconds of Movin' On Up hardly seems worthwhile.

In A Little While: U2 need their heads checked, plain and simple. Cannot fathom why they brought this back. It'd have been OK on an arena tour, but not now.

MLK: Per the original post. After MOTD was so magical in this setlist spot for three shows in September, MLK's continued survival in the set irks me even more.

One and WOWY: Both sound terribly tired (especially WOWY, which has managed to plunge even further than its Popmart lows some nights this tour), but we know U2 are very averse to cutting them from the set - especially One. Well, rotate them. Simple solution. They serve roughly the same purpose, and given how many hits are in the set, very few casuals are going to even really notice not getting one or the other.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #15
War Child

I think anyone who posts in this thread show state how many 360 shows they've been to or downloaded. Just sayin'.

(my only beef is the dropping of NLOTH material - but then, this isn't the NLOTH tour, it's the 360 tour.)

goat