Songs that are being played on the current tour that you're f**king sick of and WHY:

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
doctorgonzo said:
all i want is you - all i want is this. Where is it? Not some lumbering acoustic version either, pull out a love town-level, full-band, we-really-care-about-this-song performance that leaves you hovering somewhere 100' above the nosebleeds.

Mission Accomplished: Sydney - 12/14/2010!

Well, Mofo was rehearsed in Torino. :wink:

YouTube - U2 Rehearsing in Torino
Holy crap! I never heard about them rehearsing this...maybe they'll actually bring it ba-
*reads video description*

Digi:
trollface.jpg

Me:
rageguy.jpg

MLK is gone. One down 7 to go:

IALW
Walk On
Elevation (I don't mind it being rotated with EBTTRT or Gone)
With or Without You (love the song but please replace with Love is Blindness)
Beautiful Day (will never go away, I know)
Sunday Bloody Sunday (love the song but replace with Like a Song)
COBL (replace with TUF)

WARNING: BITCH ALERT

Give the ATYCLB songs a frickin' rest jesus christ. This isn't the Elevation Tour. That was 2001. This is 2010. Time to move on.

3/4 songs will hardly kill anyone.

But 4 songs off NLOTH is the real crime of this tour.

3/4 songs will hardly kill anyone.

But 4 songs off NLOTH is the real crime of this tour.

You're right. 4-5 songs off of ATYCLB wouldn't be so bad if they played a significant number of songs off their latest album. Instead they're playing the same amount as ATYCLB.

They obviously either don't feel strong about the album or think the audience doesn't like it.

I'd love to see 7 songs from NLOTH played again but there's a better chance of them playing 7 Zooropa songs I think.

They obviously either don't feel strong about the album or think the audience doesn't like it.

It's the audience's fault...

Their greatest strength is their greatest weakness.

Mass appeal leads to a lot of casual fans. Casual fans are what lead to all the setlist issues.

You're right. 4-5 songs off of ATYCLB wouldn't be so bad if they played a significant number of songs off their latest album. Instead they're playing the same amount as ATYCLB.

Or maybe internet U2 fans just don't like ATYCLB.

Or maybe internet U2 fans just don't like ATYCLB.

I think we like it just fine, but the general consensus is that it's a bit overrepresented given the length of time since the album was released (It would be like playing five October tracks during ZooTV), and how a lot of other good material consistently gets overlooked.

When I first came to Interference, people were daydreaming about hearing "God Part II" for the first time in a decade. That was over a decade ago.

At some point, the continued presence of songs like "In a Little While" becomes almost a non-sequitor.

All but 2 U2 albums are older than ATYCLB. Time really is not the argument here.

at the very least, the dumb rocker has been superseded twice and it's still being played. plus, if they were really that interested in playing relatively new material, they'd be playing more than the opening two tracks of the vertigo tour on 360.

at the very least, the dumb rocker has been superseded twice and it's still being played. plus, if they were really that interested in playing relatively new material, they'd be playing more than the opening two tracks of the vertigo tour on 360.

No... no... let's please not wish for more from Bomb... :wink:

Does it speak volumes that THEY don't believe in the album, or that the audience weren't receiving the album well?

Didn't they keep everything from Pop on that tour save Do You Feel Loved(coulnd't play it live)

I think we like it just fine, but the general consensus is that it's a bit overrepresented given the length of time since the album was released (It would be like playing five October tracks during ZooTV), and how a lot of other good material consistently gets overlooked.

When I first came to Interference, people were daydreaming about hearing "God Part II" for the first time in a decade. That was over a decade ago.

At some point, the continued presence of songs like "In a Little While" becomes almost a non-sequitor.

I believe some of the 2010 shows have actually had more ATYCLB songs that some shows performed in 2001. It's also weird that some 360 shows have featured more ATYCLB songs than NLOTH tracks.

After going to the 2 Sydney shows, anything I wanted dropped I have changed my mind about (except IALW). Every other song holds its place when you are there.

Will mention that my wife, not the worlds biggest U2 fan went to both shows with me, and after IALW second night she turned to me and said, "AGAIN??!?! But.... why?"

Exactly!

People can spin it all they want, but there is just no need or precedent for what U2 are doing with ATYCLB on 360.

Exactly!

People can spin it all they want, but there is just no need or precedent for what U2 are doing with ATYCLB on 360.

Wouldn't extend that to ATYCLB.

BD is argueably one of their 5 biggest and best known songs ever
Walk On - played for ASSK, big tick for emotion
Elevation - gets the crowd pumped, gets the atmosphere running
Stuck - meh, take or leave, but it has it's fans, and is well known by the casuals
IALW - No need whatsoever

I think saying ATYCLB love is unneccesary is a stretch, but def Stuck/IALW love is well over-played

Wouldn't extend that to ATYCLB.

BD is argueably one of their 5 biggest and best known songs ever
Walk On - played for ASSK, big tick for emotion
Elevation - gets the crowd pumped, gets the atmosphere running
Stuck - meh, take or leave, but it has it's fans, and is well known by the casuals
IALW - No need whatsoever

I think saying ATYCLB love is unneccesary is a stretch, but def Stuck/IALW love is well over-played

Look, no massive disagreement here.

Just a few minor differences in how we look at things.

BD- What you said. No problem with that being in the set. In fact, I'd be pissed if they dropped it. I just kind of liked it for a long while, and then maybe a year ago, it just hit me and now I love it to pieces! Its become infinitely more popular with me over time!

Walk On-Agree with what you said, but I think 3 legs was enough for a staple. A couple nights is fine, the other nights, Pride or NYD could move down the set list to follow Scarlet, express solidarity with the remaining political prisoners in Burma and close the main set.

Elevation-Plenty of other songs get the crowd pumped and are as well known. 3 tours in a row every night is too much for a middle of the pack U2 song. It just doesn't interest me as much as Two Hearts Beat As One or Lovetown Desire would. If this is gone, the crowd can still bounce up and down to I Will Follow, Vertigo and Streets at a minimum.

Stuck-Goodbye. Don't want to see it until next tour. The casuals need to be kept happy and I don't live in a fantasy world where U2 would only play 3 or 4 hits in a show, but just listen to the roar that goes up when Larry does the last cymbal crash in Stay from Zoo TV Sydney!! The whole stadium will respond to a well done, accessible song.

In A Little While: I actually don't mind this one, sorry everyone! It fits the space theme and unlike all the others, it wasn't even a staple on the Elevation Tour. Its been all of these other songs' poor step sister as far as set lists go, and its a gorgeous little number.

I have felt for some time now that BD and IALW, with the occasional Elevation or Walk On(like at 20% of shows) rotated in could represent ATYCLB very well on 360!

I take your point that it works when you are there(I saw Walk On, acoustic Stuck, BD and Elevation in 2009) but I just think other stuff would work better.

You make very good points that are well taken, but I am truly sorry. Nothing, however well argued, is going to get my mind off of this:

Lack of precedent:

DoctorGonzo said:
It would be like playing five October tracks during ZooTV

And I will add a question: Didn't it feel like old staples like Surrender, Two Hearts Beat As One, October, I Will Follow, Seconds, TUF and Out of Control had been entirely forgotten by the time Zoo Tv rolled around? Didn't it seem like they forgot album cuts from 2 campaigns ago like Trip Through Your Wires and In God's Country?

Elevation Tour, Part 2:

U2FanPeter said:
I believe some of the 2010 shows have actually had more ATYCLB songs that some shows performed in 2001. It's also weird that some 360 shows have featured more ATYCLB songs than NLOTH tracks.

I like ATYCLB quite a lot actually. I'm just puzzled why they're playing 5 songs from it consistently the entire tour. You'd think Zooropa, Pop, and AB would fit the Claw and space theme a lot better but go figure.

These songs just seem more suited for the Elevation arena type show not the big over the top 360 Spaceship stage. U2 obviously thinks otherwise. They're always talking about how they think the goal of 360 is to make the stadium show intimate - connecting with the audience as if it was an arena.

After going to the 2 Sydney shows, anything I wanted dropped I have changed my mind about (except IALW). Every other song holds its place when you are there.

Will mention that my wife, not the worlds biggest U2 fan went to both shows with me, and after IALW second night she turned to me and said, "AGAIN??!?! But.... why?"

I like your wife. :wink:

To me, it's the amount of songs from ATYCLB that is the problem, as is which songs it are. I mean, I wouldn't mind hearing Kite or WILATW live, Kite perhaps I wouldn't mind every night. But I'd rather not. Hearing Beautiful Day, Elevation and Walk On every night is enough ATYCLB for me. I'd rather have the rest(and Walk On) replaced with songs of a certain ignored album that came before it.

I still can't believe that HMTMKMKM is the closest we've got to something ala popmart tour. From the first moments everybody saw pics of the Claw, at rehearsals, nearly everyone here agreed that it would be kick ass to play some big Pop rockers on it (Mofo, Discotheque, Last Night on Earth or Gone). And yet U2 thinks drabble like In A Little While and Suck work better? Maybe in an arena but not on a fucking kickass stage in a stadium!

I like your wife. :wink:

To me, it's the amount of songs from ATYCLB that is the problem, as is which songs it are. I mean, I wouldn't mind hearing Kite or WILATW live, Kite perhaps I wouldn't mind every night. But I'd rather not. Hearing Beautiful Day, Elevation and Walk On every night is enough ATYCLB for me. I'd rather have the rest(and Walk On) replaced with songs of a certain ignored album that came before it.

I still can't believe that HMTMKMKM is the closest we've got to something ala popmart tour. From the first moments everybody saw pics of the Claw, at rehearsals, nearly everyone here agreed that it would be kick ass to play some big Pop rockers on it (Mofo, Discotheque, Last Night on Earth or Gone). And yet U2 thinks drabble like In A Little While and Suck work better? Maybe in an arena but not on a fucking kickass stage in a stadium!

This.

I hope U2 sees the potential awesomeness of playing MOFO or Disco and plays them at least a few times on the next 3 legs.

It would be sad to see Pop be the only U2 album not represented on this tour.

beautiful day, walk on and i'll even go so far as to allow elevation. that isn't an overrepresentation by any means.

the extra crap isn't necessary. fuck me, even staring at the sun in place of in a little while - complete with frank de winne - would be interesting.

grizzle, moan, etc

Back
Top Bottom