Some interesting U2 historical setlist facts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Every NIN show I've been to there have been about 10 songs that I hadn't heard live. REM it's about the same. I've seen the Pumpkins four times and out of 90 or so songs there were 4 that were played at every show and 15 that were played more than once.

Every NIN show I've been to there have been about 10 songs that I hadn't heard live. REM it's about the same. I've seen the Pumpkins four times and out of 90 or so songs there were 4 that were played at every show and 15 that were played more than once.

NIN plays to knowing fans and that's it, it's not like they have a lot of I love 'Head Like a Hole' but that's all I know fans anymore.

REM, really? Maybe you haven't seen them a lot?

Poor Pumpkins, thought they could be relevant again...:wink: Actually I liked Pumpkins at one time, saw them a few times and I have to say one of the worse live bands I've ever seen...

Bono loves the classics. He has said many times during the Vertigo tour that Edge likes to play this song, that song, blah blah "but I like to play this one" as ISHFWILF comes on.

We probably shouldn't underestimate Bono's feelings for the 90s... he's stated many times that he prefers his singing and lyric-writing in the 90s (and 00s) to his singing and lyric-writing in the 80s. And, when asked what his favorite U2 songs are, Bono typically centers his answer around three 90s songs - Stay, Miss Sarajevo, and YBL.

We probably shouldn't underestimate Bono's feelings for the 90s... he's stated many times that he prefers his singing and lyric-writing in the 90s (and 00s) to his singing and lyric-writing in the 80s. And, when asked what his favorite U2 songs are, Bono typically centers his answer around three 90s songs - Stay, Miss Sarajevo, and YBL.

What is YBL?

I even consulted the list of acronyms...

What is YBL?

I even consulted the list of acronyms...

YBL is only available on the chinese version.

on topic: he is right about that song anyway. The most beautiful song they have ever recorded and not played live. It would sound shitty live actually compared to the total darkness and sensuality that makes this song an Literaly unsong classic.

easily in my top 10 of U2 songs ever

YBL is only available on the chinese version.

on topic: he is right about that song anyway. The most beautiful song they have ever recorded and not played live. It would sound shitty live actually compared to the total darkness and sensuality that makes this song an Literaly unsong classic.

easily in my top 10 of U2 songs ever

That song gets better with time. Easily one of Bono's best performances. Although I disagree it would sound shitty live. I bet Edge would make it work. Velvet Dress, which is similar to Your Blue Room regarding atmosphere, sounded great.

Poor Pumpkins, thought they could be relevant again...:wink: Actually I liked Pumpkins at one time, saw them a few times and I have to say one of the worse live bands I've ever seen...

When did you see Smashing Pumpkins? I have only seen them 3 times, but all three were incredible.

The Adore tour they played with about 7 extra musicians and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

When did you see Smashing Pumpkins? I have only seen them 3 times, but all three were incredible.

The Adore tour they played with about 7 extra musicians and it was one of the best concerts I have ever seen.

yes! i saw them front row on the Adore Tour. very good show indeed.

Once in 94 and once in 97 and then again sometime in the 2000's... Billy's incessant off-key screaming made it so that I couldn't even enjoy the other aspects of their music.

That song gets better with time. Easily one of Bono's best performances. Although I disagree it would sound shitty live. I bet Edge would make it work. Velvet Dress, which is similar to Your Blue Room regarding atmosphere, sounded great.

that is true but Bono can not sing it like in 1995. his distinctive falsetto of that arae is unfortunatley gone and the high piched voice in blue room is too "important" to be sung in a lower key because than it would lose its effect I think.

ok,so on topic:

this is the most varied tour so far,ok.
but,what does that mean to me or anybody else who would like to hear something else rather than angel of harlem or in a little while or elevation or mlk?

still, great job on statistics part

ok,so on topic:

this is the most varied tour so far,ok.
but,what does that mean to me or anybody else who would like to hear something else rather than angel of harlem or in a little while or elevation or mlk?

still, great job on statistics part

Would you rather have a static setlist with all those songs in it? After all, 3 out of 4 were played on the opening night in Barcelona. Or would you rather be curious as to whether they will indeed play something else? After all, 3 out of 4 are put regularly into rotation (MLK is a given).

that is true but Bono can not sing it like in 1995. his distinctive falsetto of that arae is unfortunatley gone and the high piched voice in blue room is too "important" to be sung in a lower key because than it would lose its effect I think.

It was soundchecked yesterday and it sounded amazing! Bono's voice (including the falsetto) was surprisingly excellent.

My own statistics:
I've seen 79 songs by U2 in 11 shows (between 1992 and 2009)
One, WTSHNN and Pride were played at all of these 11 shows, BTBS, MW and WOWY at 10, and UTEOTW at 9, the rest at 7 or less. And I got to hear stuff like Party Girl, Dancing Queen, Control, 11 oclock, 40, Ground beneath her feet.
I'm satisfied!

My own statistics:
One, WTSHNN and Pride were played at all of these 11 shows, BTBS, MW and WOWY at 10, and UTEOTW at 9, the rest at 7 or less. And I got to hear stuff like Party Girl, Dancing Queen, Control, 11 oclock, 40, Ground beneath her feet.
I'm satisfied!

1. You saw a show without WOWY? Isn't that hyper-rare?

2. Can someone please clarify what "YBL" is... I'm familiar with Your Blue Room (YBR), but I keep seeing "YBL" thrown around when people seem to talking about YBR.

2. Can someone please clarify what "YBL" is...

'Your Blue Loo'

126506250tWRVzG_ph.jpg

YBL was a typo on my part. I'm not sure where it came from, because R and L aren't anywhere close to each other on the keyboard, but I had just woken up. :shrug:

YBL was a typo on my part. I'm not sure where it came from, because R and L aren't anywhere close to each other on the keyboard, but I had just woken up. :shrug:

You did the same thing 2 weeks ago (well, July 30th... 1 page back in this thread)... to see "YBL" again today, I had to find out if there was such a song... lol

Pretty Cool actually, it was at Brussels on Vertigo
having UTEOTW as second was even cooler, gave an odd twist to the start:

1.Vertigo
2.Until The End Of The World
3.The Electric Co
4.Elevation
5.New Year's Day
6.Beautiful Day
7.City Of Blinding Lights
8.Miracle Drug
9.Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
10.Love And Peace Or Else
11.Sunday Bloody Sunday
12.Bullet The Blue Sky
13.Running To Stand Still
14.Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15.Where The Streets Have No Name
16.One
17.Zoo Station
18.The Fly
19.Mysterious Ways
20.All Because Of You
21.Yahweh
22.Vertigo

Ah yes, that show. The first 5 songs were all from different albums, which I thought was pretty cool too.
Not the best show by U2 or on the Vertigo tour (in fact, I rank it last in my list of Vertigo concerts) but still very enjoyable.
:dance:

My own statistics:
I'm satisfied!

I just looked at my statistics (yes, I'm a :nerd: like that to keep track of U2 songs I've heard over the years).
I've seen and heard 85 different songs in 27 shows between 1993 and 2009.
WTSHNN and One were played at all of these 27 shows.
SBS, PITNOL, WOWY and BD at 24, BTBS at 20, Elevation at 19 and the rest at 18 or less.

QUOTE]

I saw them in Chicago on the 1st leg of Vertigo tour. They didn't play With or Without you. I know I sure as hell did not miss it. The songs they did play were played very well, none of them half assed like WOWY always is (although Bono did kind of flub his way through An Cat Dubh).

Back
Top Bottom