Some interesting U2 historical setlist facts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't remember any articles or interviews on the topic either, but it's definitely something I'd like to know more about, too, VP. I would imagine that when it comes to the songs they're all going to be playing day in day out for months/years at a time, it becomes a fairly democratic process to select those songs.

Though I do picture Adam just saying "yeah, whatever, that's fine." :wink:

Yes, I can see Adam being pretty chill about the process, lol.

I'm not answering this question because you didn't respond to my response to Salome. Harumph!

But...but...I responded to your long-ass post in response to my long-ass post! :sad: :lol:

Nah, seriously...I have read that Larry has a very heavy involvement in the setlists. I can't cite the reference however. One other thing I heard, but took it with a grain of salt, is that he has veto power :uhoh:

:idea: This could be why the setlists are what they are. It's one big overt Larryesque FUCK YOU to U2 fans in teh internetz! :lol:

I think I'm actually most curious about his involvement. I could see it going either way, but it's cool to think he has heavy involvement in it. It's almost like anything coming out of the U2 camp seems to have more credibility if it has Larry's stamp of approval, doesn't it?

From what I read over the years, it is a more or less democratic process. Every member has a say in it, but Bono has the biggest say. This is because he is at the front and has to sing the songs (and remember the lyrics :wink: ).

I can see this being the biggest factor - the practical issue of what Bono can actually sing on a nightly basis without straining his vocal cords over a lengthy tour (and, of course, the memory thing :wink: ). There's also the matter of if he's "feeling" the songs, because as frontman, it's essentially his responsibility to "sell" the songs to us, and if he's not feeling them, then it would come across as insincere.

I read an interview with Edge from 88/89 and he was expressing displeasure with having to play the same songs every night to people who weren't fans, who were just into whatever was big. Doesn't answer your question really, but it's something.

Wow, that really doesn't sound like an Edge-ish thing to say...

I think I'm actually most curious about his involvement. I could see it going either way, but it's cool to think he has heavy involvement in it. It's almost like anything coming out of the U2 camp seems to have more credibility if it has Larry's stamp of approval, doesn't it?

People typically underplay his influence in the band. I remember going to the HoF and learning that he used to make their early posters and t-shirts and still has alot of creative input into how they market the band. I never bought into this whole idea of Larry only grudgingly being dragged along for the ride, I think he's firmly entrenched in the nuts and bolts. Of course, he lives a very private life, but that's cool, to me.

And let me tell you..while the singer runs the front of the stage...if the drummer doesn't want to play a song? It ain't gettin played, believe me. Bono and Larry have a huge connection, even onstage, but we don't notice it as we're always focusing on him and Edge. But it's Bono and Larry that have to sync up with the eye contact and song startings/endings to make the thing run smoothly. :up: The drummer steers the ship.

From what I read over the years, it is a more or less democratic process. Every member has a say in it, but Bono has the biggest say. This is because he is at the front and has to sing the songs (and remember the lyrics :wink: ).

I think this is fairly accurate, and probably why Drowning Man showed up in rehearsal: Adam had a say at something to try, and the band have thus far vetoed it because it kills the flow of the set.

People typically underplay his influence in the band. I remember going to the HoF and learning that he used to make their early posters and t-shirts and still has alot of creative input into how they market the band. I never bought into this whole idea of Larry only grudgingly being dragged along for the ride, I think he's firmly entrenched in the nuts and bolts. Of course, he lives a very private life, but that's cool, to me.

And let me tell you..while the singer runs the front of the stage...if the drummer doesn't want to play a song? It ain't gettin played, believe me. Bono and Larry have a huge connection, even onstage, but we don't notice it as we're always focusing on him and Edge. But it's Bono and Larry that have to sync up with the eye contact and song startings/endings to make the thing run smoothly. :up: The drummer steers the ship.

Oh, I completely agree. He is also apparently the maintainer/holder of the "U2 archive," storing their old promotional materials, etc. I think that when the band retires, he probably plans on opening a U2 museum. :wink:

I've always thought of Larry as being the fan advocate of the band, sort of ensuring that we get quality. I adored him for his statement regarding the ticket fiasco last tour. And for all he does in that regard, I completely respect that he's the most private of them. He may not do daily meet and greets, but he takes care of fans in other ways.

Also agree about the importance of drumming. My brother was a drummer - a very amateur drummer, although he has played with some semi-impressive people - and all the drummers he admires are in the same vein as Larry - not flashy, just good, steady drummers.

the word 'aside' can be used as a way of stepping outside the original flow of conversation to add something of meaning for future discussion. It does not necessarily contradict the original intention of the conversation. You can add an 'aside' to fuel discussion with food for thought. The intention of the 'aside' is irrelevant, the fact is, it wasn't included in the original discussion, and therefore is an addendum to the main focus of the discussion: ergo an aside.

Well that's basically how I understood it Dan, I hope you don't think I was saying you didn't know how to use the word properly, by no means, I was merely speaking to the strictly literal interpretation / textbook definition that was being forced upon it. I fully understood what you were saying and felt that for someone to force a different meaning on it (ie, that you were straying from the subject at hand) would not be in line with the context, spirit and intent of how you originally wrote the complete sentence.

Besides, you needed a comma in there anyways, but how anal would it be to point that out? :lol:

:hi5:

Would you mind if we postponed our duel to the death till, say, mid-August? I've got a scheduling conflict. WXMY isn't too happy about the whole thing, but they'll live.

:wink:

I've always thought of Larry as being the fan advocate of the band, sort of ensuring that we get quality. I adored him for his statement regarding the ticket fiasco last tour. And for all he does in that regard, I completely respect that he's the most private of them. He may not do daily meet and greets, but he takes care of fans in other ways.

I totally agree. Though I may be being a bit presumptuous since there isn't a whole lot of info, I do get the sense that he's the guy most saying "ok, but what are they gonna get out of this?" Which certainly can be helpful, but can definitely be a hindrance, too.

I totally agree. Though I may be being a bit presumptuous since there isn't a whole lot of info, I do get the sense that he's the guy most saying "ok, but what are they gonna get out of this?" Which certainly can be helpful, but can definitely be a hindrance, too.

Do you mean hindrance in that he may play it conservatively in order to guarantee that fans get the most out of what they offer, rather than chance it, and potentially not do/give their very best? If so, I can see that.

I definately see that as Larry's role

Adam is probably the pacifier, he will most likely stop any arguements by giving an honest (and well respected by the band) opinion

Larry is the collective foice of the fandom, we need to enjoy it, but it has to be the best show bpossible

Edge probably wants to play some slightly more left-field songs: but on a regular occasion (IE UV and TUF on this tour)

Bono loves the classics. He has said many times during the Vertigo tour that Edge likes to play this song, that song, blah blah "but I like to play this one" as ISHFWILF comes on.

I definately see that as Larry's role

Adam is probably the pacifier, he will most likely stop any arguements by giving an honest (and well respected by the band) opinion

Larry is the collective foice of the fandom, we need to enjoy it, but it has to be the best show bpossible

Edge probably wants to play some slightly more left-field songs: but on a regular occasion (IE UV and TUF on this tour)

Bono loves the classics. He has said many times during the Vertigo tour that Edge likes to play this song, that song, blah blah "but I like to play this one" as ISHFWILF comes on.

I like this analysis very much.

Has anyone else noticed...and please forgive me, I've been trying to stay away from too much footage as I want some of it to be fresh for me..

Is it just me or does Larry seem to be having the best time of any of them onstage? I dunno just seems like he's smiling more than any of them!

Do you mean hindrance in that he may play it conservatively in order to guarantee that fans get the most out of what they offer, rather than chance it, and potentially not do/give their very best? If so, I can see that.

Yeah, that's what I was going for. I'd say some of the claims of lack of "experimentation" or willingness to go out on an artistic limb, not that I entirely agree with them, might stem from this (heh, talk about rampant speculation now...).

I'm just going to address some of the arguments that are commonly made in defense of the current setlists.

(Full disclosure up front, I've been to one show on Elevation, one show on Vertigo, and I'll be going to one show(as of now) on 360, the second Giants Stadium show in September.)

1. I can't speak with certainty for anyone but myself, but I don't think anybody expects U2 to put on PJ-type shows or Bruce-type shows, but rather shows similar to the ones they're putting on with a little more rotation, because a little more rotation can add 10 songs to the 'regular' list for a tour. I seriously doubt anyone is expecting U2 to play back-to-back shows that don't share a single common song.

2. I think the terms 'obscure' and 'rarity' have little place in this discussion, yet they're thrown around all the time. Nobody is up in arms because U2 isn't playing Love Comes Tumbling(how amazing would that be :wink: ). By and large, the people that go on and on here are hoping for U2 to add songs that were singles, and/or that were regulars on their initial tours and in some cases even subsequent tours, to the setlist as rotational songs; 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Two Hearts Beat As One, A Sort Of Homecoming, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, The Fly, Lemon, Dirty Day, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Discotheque, Mofo, Staring At The Sun, Last Night On Earth, Gone, Please(full band), Kite, New York...et al. These songs are not obscure...well, you could make the argument for a couple of them, but most of them are not. These aren't b-sides or never-before-played holy grails. Most of them were singles. And, honestly, it's early in the tour, a lot of the above could very well show up by the time all is said and done(I Will Follow, EBTTRT, Horses, The Fly, Discotheque, Kite, etc).

2a. There are only three b-sides I will even talk about being performed live at this point. One has already been played this tour - Party Girl. The other I think would work beautifully in this set is Sweetest Thing. It seems like it's relatively easy/simple to play, it would work in the stadium because it's very, very catchy and it's well-known because of the 1998 single release(making it not exactly a b-side anymore but a single), and it would fit nicely in the portion of the set between Beautiful Day and Unknown Caller. I think it would be a great and painless addition to the set - I'm not really sure why they ever dropped it after the early Elevation shows it was played at. The third b-side I will talk about is Spanish Eyes, just because it was played semi-regularly in the late 80s and seemed to get a good reaction on the boots...but it's been forever since they've played it, and it wouldn't be nearly the home-run I think Sweetest Thing would be, and probably isn't worth giving up other songs for. But it would be cool.

3. The argument that the band has to balance pleasing die-hard fans with pleasing casual/new fans. This is absolutely valid. When I think hypothetically of a 16 year old somewhere who just discovered U2 in the last few years and is going to his/her first U2 show, maybe he/she owns a few albums and the best ofs, and his/her favorite song is Still Haven't Found or SBS or (insert other warhorse here) and, and walking out of the show disappointed because that song wasn't played that night, it makes me sad. Really. I appreciate the difficulty of trying to create a set that pleases everyone. I think longer shows could be the answer - and no, I'm talking about three and a half hour Bruce-style gigs. I'm simply suggesting adding 3 or 4 more songs to the set, and making the average set 25-26 songs instead of 22. Because they're already playing most of the 'required' warhorses...at some point you have to fill slots 23-26 with something else. Which pleases the die-hards without taking anything away from the casuals and the show would still probably be two and a half hours, max. However, I disclose absolutely and openly that I don't play in a band or alone, and I don't know what it's like to 'add just 3 or 4 more songs to the set'. If it is indeed that much harder than it sounds, please tell me, and I'll take your word for it if your word comes from experience.

4. Just for the hell of it, I typed out a (perhaps excessively lengthy) series of 360 sets, imagining them to be consecutive shows with more rotation than the current sets. The structure of the set is slightly altered(Beautiful Day is immediately before Unknown Caller, and a song is sometimes placed between Boots and Magnificent), but by and large I tried to stick to the basic set we've seen, with added rotation and an effort to cover as any albums as possible in each show. I also made sure to never drop BD, Vertigo, COBL, SBS, Pride, Streets, One, UV, TUF, or any of the NLOTH songs. This was random, and I tried not to overthink too much(I failed at some points :wink: ), and the sets I came up with are a few tracks longer than what U2 normally play. Oh, and I rarely changed the encore at all in my head, and I didn't want to type the same thing out a million times, so just imagine the same encore, with Kite replacing WOWY sometimes, for each set.

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Magnificent, New Year's Day, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Will Follow, Desire, Stay(Faraway, So Close), Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, Crazy, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Discotheque, Elevation, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Please, Walk On, Bad, Where The Streets Have No Name, One

Encore: Ultraviolet(Light My Way), With Or Without You, Moment Of Surrender

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Last Night On Earth, Magnificent, New Year's Day, Out Of Control, New York, Gloria, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, If God Will Send His Angels, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding LIghts, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Mofo, Love And Peace Or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Walk On

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Until The End Of The World, Magnificent, Gone, New York, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Electrical Storm, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, White As Snow, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Lemon, The Fly, God Part II(only time I used this, just an idea), Bullet The Blue Sky, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Running To Stand Still, Walk On

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Fez-Being Born, Magnificent, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, The Ocean, A Sort Of Homecoming, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Dirty Day, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, Pride(In The Name Of Love), Sunday Bloody Sunday, Please, Where The Streets Have No Name, MLK, Walk On

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Magnificent, Lemon, Electrical Storm, Gone, I Will Follow, Fast Cars, Angel Of Harlem, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, One, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Love And Peace Or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Where The Streets Have No Name, Bad

Encore: Ultraviolet(Light My Way), Kite, Moment Of Surrender

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, The Fly, Magnificent, Gloria, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, If God Will Send His Angels, The Ground Beneath Her Feet, Fast Cars, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Staring At The Sun, Pride(In The Name Of Love), Sunday Bloody Sunday, Please, MLK, Bad, Where The Streets Have No Name

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, New Year's Day, 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, I Still Haven't Found, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, White As Snow, A Sort Of Homecoming, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Discotheque, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, All I Want Is You, Where The Streets Have No Name

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Magnificent, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, I Will Follow, Desire, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, A Sort Of Homecoming, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Elevation, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Please, Streets, One

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Gone, Electrical Storm, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, If God Will Send His Angels, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Discotheque, Elevation, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, All I Want Is You, Where The Streets Have No Name, One

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Mysterious Ways, Even Better Than The Real Thing, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, A Sort Of Homecoming, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Love And Peace Or Else, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Walk On, Where The Streets Have No Name, One

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Last Night On Earth, Mysterious Ways, Electrical Storm, Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, Stuck In A Moment, I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Please, Where The Streets Have No Name, One

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Vertigo, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me, Bullet The Blue Sky, Running To Stand Still, White As Snow, A Sort Of Homecoming, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Elevation, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Discotheque, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Bad, Where The Streets Have No Name, One

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, New Year's Day, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Sweetest Thing, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, City Of Blinding Lights, Vertigo, I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight, Mofo, I Will Follow, Sunday Bloody Sunday, Pride(In The Name Of Love), MLK, Bad, Where The Streets Have No Name, One

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, The Fly, Electrical Storm, Sweetest Thing, A Sort Of Homecoming, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, The Unforgettable Fire, COBL, Vertigo, Crazy, HMTMKMKM, Please, SBS, Pride, MLK, Walk On, Streets, Bad, Ultraviolet, One, MOS

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, Until The End Of The World, New Year's Day, I Will Follow, Desire, Stay(Faraway, So Close), White As Snow, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, TUF, COBL, Vertigo, Crazy, Discotheque, Elevation, SBS, Pride, MLK, WO, Streets, One

Breathe, No Line On The Horizon, Get On Your Boots, Magnificent, New Year's Day, Gone, Electrical Storm, If God Will Send His Angels, Beautiful Day, Unknown Caller, TUF, COBL, Vertigo, Crazy, Discotheque, SBS, Pride, MLK, Bad, Fez, Streets, One

Like I said, they're probably a little too long, but I don't think the track selection is that unrealistic. You don't see Wild Irish Rose or Lady With The Spinning Head anywhere. I think any of these sets would please most of any stadium.

Anyway, those are my thoughts for now.

Yeah, that's what I was going for. I'd say some of the claims of lack of "experimentation" or willingness to go out on an artistic limb, not that I entirely agree with them, might stem from this (heh, talk about rampant speculation now...).

Rampant speculation's what we do best, here. :wink:

Last tour I saw 8 shows, all on the 3rd leg, and it's always seemed to me that I got extremely lucky, and saw a particularly diverse set of shows. I know I was thrilled with what I got to see. Knowing that there were 52 unique songs played over 132 shows last tour, this thread got me wondering how many of them I actually did get to see, so I went to U2 gigs and compiled a list.

This is the setlist of the first Toronto show:

1. Vertigo
2. I Will Follow
3. The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / See Me, Feel Me (snippet)
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Many Rivers To Cross (snippet)
6. In A Little While
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet The Blue Sky / Please (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
14. Miss Sarajevo
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16. Where The Streets Have No Name
17. One / Ol' Man River (snippet)
18. Zoo Station
19. The Fly
20. With Or Without You / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
21. All Because Of You
22. Fast Cars
23. Yahweh
24. 40

Over the next 3 Toronto shows, they added:

25. Bad
26. The Ocean
27. Out Of Control
28. Discotheque

The next two shows in Chicago, they also played:

29. Walk On
30. The First Time
31. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
32. Original of the Species

A month later at the two Detroit shows, they also played:

33. Stuck in a Moment
34. Gloria
35. MLK
36. Crumbs

So, in 8 shows I got to see 36 songs out of the 52 total they played, meaning that there were only 16 other songs on the entire tour that I missed. That's impressive in only 8 of 132 shows.

Does anyone else know of any other stretch of the tour that got as many unique songs?

Rampant speculation's what we do best, here. :wink:

Last tour I saw 8 shows, all on the 3rd leg, and it's always seemed to me that I got extremely lucky, and saw a particularly diverse set of shows. I know I was thrilled with what I got to see. Knowing that there were 52 unique songs played over 132 shows last tour, this thread got me wondering how many of them I actually did get to see, so I went to U2 gigs and compiled a list.

This is the setlist of the first Toronto show:

1. Vertigo
2. I Will Follow
3. The Electric Co. / Bullet With Butterfly Wings (snippet) / See Me, Feel Me (snippet)
4. Elevation
5. Beautiful Day / Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (snippet) / Many Rivers To Cross (snippet)
6. In A Little While
7. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
8. City Of Blinding Lights
9. Miracle Drug
10. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
11. Love And Peace Or Else
12. Sunday Bloody Sunday
13. Bullet The Blue Sky / Please (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet) / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet)
14. Miss Sarajevo
15. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
16. Where The Streets Have No Name
17. One / Ol' Man River (snippet)
18. Zoo Station
19. The Fly
20. With Or Without You / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
21. All Because Of You
22. Fast Cars
23. Yahweh
24. 40

Over the next 3 Toronto shows, they added:

25. Bad
26. The Ocean
27. Out Of Control
28. Discotheque

The next two shows in Chicago, they also played:

29. Walk On
30. The First Time
31. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
32. Original of the Species

A month later at the two Detroit shows, they also played:

33. Stuck in a Moment
34. Gloria
35. MLK
36. Crumbs

So, in 8 shows I got to see 36 songs out of the 52 total they played, meaning that there were only 16 other songs on the entire tour that I missed. That's impressive in only 8 of 132 shows.

Does anyone else know of any other stretch of the tour that got as many unique songs?

Does anyone else know of any other U2 tour, period, that got as many unique songs?

This post wins the thread and every setlist argument.

Last tour I saw 8 shows, all on the 3rd leg, and it's always seemed to me that I got extremely lucky, and saw a particularly diverse set of shows.

Wow, that is a particularly diverse set of shows... as you say. I was always jealous that TO got Discothèque. And you got to see Crumbs... I wish I'd seen Crumbs... never understood why they didn't play it. First Time, lucky you.

3. The argument that the band has to balance pleasing die-hard fans with pleasing casual/new fans. This is absolutely valid. When I think hypothetically of a 16 year old somewhere who just discovered U2 in the last few years and is going to his/her first U2 show, maybe he/she owns a few albums and the best ofs, and his/her favorite song is Still Haven't Found or SBS or (insert other warhorse here) and, and walking out of the show disappointed because that song wasn't played that night, it makes me sad. Really. I appreciate the difficulty of trying to create a set that pleases everyone. I think longer shows could be the answer - and no, I'm talking about three and a half hour Bruce-style gigs. I'm simply suggesting adding 3 or 4 more songs to the set, and making the average set 25-26 songs instead of 22. Because they're already playing most of the 'required' warhorses...at some point you have to fill slots 23-26 with something else. Which pleases the die-hards without taking anything away from the casuals and the show would still probably be two and a half hours, max. However, I disclose absolutely and openly that I don't play in a band or alone, and I don't know what it's like to 'add just 3 or 4 more songs to the set'. If it is indeed that much harder than it sounds, please tell me, and I'll take your word for it if your word comes from experience.

I agree with most of what you said, but wanted to highlight this point in particular, which I mentioned in another thread a few days ago - I don't understand why they couldn't do away with the opening act and go for a 2 1/2 hour long show. Every major act I've seen in the past several years with a sizable back catalogue does this.

Well, I've only seen 2 shows

2006-11-10: Telstra Stadium - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

1. City Of Blinding Lights
2. Vertigo
3. Can't Stand The Rain (snippet) / Elevation / Can't Get You Out Of My Head (snippet) / Highway To Hell (snippet)
4. Until The End Of The World
5. New Year's Day
6. Beautiful Day / Here Comes The Sun (snippet)
7. Yahweh
8. Walk On
9. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own / The Black Hills of Dakota (snippet)
10. Love And Peace Or Else
11. Sunday Bloody Sunday / Rock The Casbah (snippet)
12. Bullet The Blue Sky / When Johnny Comes Marching Home (snippet) / The Hands That Built America (snippet)
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. Pride (In The Name Of Love)
15. Where The Streets Have No Name / All You Need Is Love (snippet)
16. One
encore(s):

17. Zoo Station
18. The Fly
19. With Or Without You / Never Tear Us Apart (snippet) / Love Will Tear Us Apart (snippet)
20. The Saints Are Coming
21. Angel Of Harlem
22. Kite

Then they added

2006-11-11: Telstra Stadium - Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

23. Still Haven't Found
24. Stuck in a Moment
25. Desire

If I'd been able to see the 3rd Sydney show:

26. I Will Follow
27. Mysterious Ways
28. Party Girl

I feel incredibly lucky with the shows I saw.

And you were at 6 of these, right? You just missed the two in Chicago?

:yes:

I did manage to get to 16 other shows as well though including both Montreal.

Ask me if I was bored at any of them or if setlist variety even remotely entered my head. ;)

If I'm honest, I'll admit that my much of my dislike for setlist arguments stems from the fact that setlists are part of my 'other job'...and in that capacity I am proud to say I put together the wickedest setlists of rockers, hits, rarities, my favorites, requests, segues, you name it. I spend hours on this and revise to no end to get it perfect. And then you know what happens? The rest of the band brings me back down to earth with a dose of reality and we go back to the hits + 2-3 fan faves + 2 band pick formula. And my dream list goes in the g file. :lol:

Wow, that is a particularly diverse set of shows... as you say. I was always jealous that TO got Discothèque. And you got to see Crumbs... I wish I'd seen Crumbs... never understood why they didn't play it. First Time, lucky you.

I think they played Discotheque at the first San Jose Vertigo show, and if my memory serves me correctly, I was a little underwhelmed. The stripped down, straight-ahead rock version they played seemed a little too sparse.

This tour, though, they could totally get away with a full on Popmart-level performance, if it wasn't for their aforementioned and unfortunate disdain for that period of their career. It's a real pity, too. Mofo would be the perfect all-out sonic assault to accompany the visual assault of the claw. :)

I was thrilled with my final Vertigo show (2nd night in Oakland), though. I'd seen 2 prior, and heard 9 songs in my last show that I hadn't heard at the previous 2, and 4 that I'd never heard live before.

I Will Follow
Gloria
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Miss Sarajevo
The First Time
Stuck In a Moment
With Or Without You
Fast Cars
Bad

(Bold I'd never heard live before)

Not too shabby, I'd say. :)

Dan, for only being 2/3 shows, that's pretty diverse too. :up:

:yes:

I did manage to get to 16 other shows as well though including both Montreal.
You need to compile a list of your shows! C'mon, you can use the 6 of mine as your starting point. I've already done like half the work for you. ;)

Ask me if I was bored at any of them or if setlist variety even remotely entered my head. ;)

That's what I was thinking. While I was absolutely over the moon thrilled when an unexpected song came on, if they hadn't, I still would have been very, very happy. There's a huge difference between sitting there reading the setlist online and actually being there. When the setlist is fairly standard, it's not like half the audience is going "fuck you, U2! You suck and I hate you, a pox on all your houses!!" The audience is into it regardless. I think it's really only us fanatics that get uber excited over an unexpected addition.

If I'm honest, I'll admit that my much of my dislike for setlist arguments stems from the fact that setlists are part of my 'other job'...and in that capacity I am proud to say I put together the wickedest setlists of rockers, hits, rarities, my favorites, requests, segues, you name it. I spend hours on this and revise to no end to get it perfect. And then you know what happens? The rest of the band brings me back down to earth with a dose of reality and we go back to the hits + 2-3 fan faves + 2 band pick formula. And my dream list goes in the g file. :lol:

Poor baby. :(

:wink:

There were a few jokes in the setlist thread at the time about me being good setlist luck, and taking up a collection to send me to all the shows. I was down with this, but sadly, no one ever followed through on it. Sigh.

2cents.gif
:hug: :wink:

There were a few jokes in the setlist thread at the time about me being good setlist luck, and taking up a collection to send me to all the shows. I was down with this, but sadly, no one ever followed through on it. Sigh.

If the Chicago setlist is good, I might be willing to contribute. :wink:

Thanks, but you're four years too late. :angry: :wink:

If the Chicago setlist is good, I might be willing to contribute. :wink:

Ha! That's if I can even make it to Chicago this time around. I have tickets, but things aren't looking good, unfortunately. I'm hoping the 2010 North American leg is fairly extensive, that should be much more favourable for me travelling.

I'm sure you can contribute to a trust for next year's legs, though. :shifty:

I think they played Discotheque at the first San Jose Vertigo show, and if my memory serves me correctly, I was a little underwhelmed. The stripped down, straight-ahead rock version they played seemed a little too sparse.

This tour, though, they could totally get away with a full on Popmart-level performance, if it wasn't for their aforementioned and unfortunate disdain for that period of their career. It's a real pity, too. Mofo would be the perfect all-out sonic assault to accompany the visual assault of the claw. :)

I was thrilled with my final Vertigo show (2nd night in Oakland), though. I'd seen 2 prior, and heard 9 songs in my last show that I hadn't heard at the previous 2, and 4 that I'd never heard live before.

I Will Follow
Gloria
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Miss Sarajevo
The First Time
Stuck In a Moment
With Or Without You
Fast Cars
Bad

(Bold I'd never heard live before)

Not too shabby, I'd say. :)

Is Discothèque too far back to be considered a song that "casual fans" would know?

On an unrelated note, a song of which we hear far too little -> Exit.

Back
Top Bottom