Some interesting U2 historical setlist facts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't. I do agree that yes, it could possibly be done, of course anything can possibly be done if they were to sit there and agonize over it again and again.

Would they enjoy themselves as much onstage? Doubtful.

Would mainstream audiences buy into the show as much, thereby providing the band with the much-needed 'vibe factor'? Doubtful.

Would 99% of the fans be happy to know that some of their favorite songs had been swapped out for others? Highly doubtful

Would it necessarily result in a better flow or more cohesive setlist? Highly doubtful to approaching an outright No.

:rolleyes: this is where I don't think you have been paying attention. Dude is not asking them to re-write the rules or anything, just change the order of the setlist occasionally and rotate in a couple of songs here and there.

I realize that U2 will not do this but it is far from impossible to do and I don't think the results would be disastrous.

I just don't care enough either way, a U2 show is a U2 show is a U2 show.

Overall you can argue Pearl Jam are better musicians than U2 (they are), but U2 is unique in the sense that their music has a texture to them that is hard to replicate live. I think U2 is one of the most amazing live bands is because they can take a well-produced song from the studio (sounds, layers, Edge’s sound) and present it live. Not only present it live but most of the time make it better.

Of all the U2 shows I go to, and I always want to go back, they showcase some incredible energy which I think would lack if they just started playing something spur of the moment. No knock, on PJ or Springsteen, but there sound translates to a simple live rendition/performance, which gives them the luxury of switching this up.

Someone posted in the “Love of Money” thread that U2 have released 3 singles from NLOTH that is geared towards a different audience. GOYB = alternative/rock, MAG=Dance/Pop, and now Crazy..=Top 40. This gets me thinking of how diverse U2 is and I think this in turn makes recreating their music kind of tricky.

I don’t have much of a problem of U2 rotating songs every-night, but I do have a issue of them not giving songs a rest and not having confidence in playing a Kite instead of One or having MOS replace WOWY. When I saw U2 for the 1st time for ZooTV I was more impressed and turned into a fan because of the new material.

Exactly, qft.

U2 aren't as raw and talented live musicians, but they are very intricate composers, which isn't true of many, many rock bands, and their vocals transcend rock. And yes, the fact that they can usually bring that amazing production to life on the stage (and then go even more beyond that with their visual spectacle) is what makes them untouchable as performers.

What the fuck? No it does not

JUST TO ADD TO THE STATS

that is the key phrase here.

Spin again.

There's no spin. "Aside" is clear. The aside was meant as a discrete thing to be considered in and of itself... "to add to the stats" just meant it's also "U2 stats". I'm confident that any "normal" person would read it as such... the word "aside" was deliberately chosen/used.

Just an aside to add to the stats...

13 shows into 360 - 32 original tracks
13 shows into Vertigo - 28 original tracks (29th not added until the 19th show)
13 shows into Elevation - 25 original tracks (26 not added until the 15th show)

Gvox, you're acting like the word "aside" isn't even there... it is, look...

:rolleyes: this is where I don't think you have been paying attention. Dude is not asking them to re-write the rules or anything, just change the order of the setlist occasionally and rotate in a couple of songs here and there.

I fully understand what he's saying, but I disagree that it's necessary nor will it enhance any of the normal concertgoer's experience. Do you realize that we have people on this site who have never even seen U2 live yet feel they have the right to offer commentary on whether or not certain songs should be ordered a certain way or whether the flow is as good as it could be? They do this by looking at printed setlists and listening to bootlegs and comparing it to other printed setlists and bootlegs. :huh:

And I touched on this in another thread, but noone responded. Very few of us here have the remotest clue what it's like to put together a tour setlist, get the songs down to a presentable fashion, go out on tour for a year and a half, and do everything else U2 does. Have you ever read a newspaper review of a U2 show that bitches about static setlists? You know why? Because U2 rolls into their town, pleases everyone, and then rolls out and goes and pleases someone elses town. The people that follow from town to town? I hate to break it to everyone, but your little selfish need for more variety does not matter. And that goes for me, included.

Wow, you really are obtuse, aren't you? Do you honestly think yourself more intelligent than me? Think again.

I realize he used the word aside. But technically, given THE VERY DEFINITION OF THE WORD ASIDE, he can't really use the word "aside" and then "to add to the stats" given that to state an aside would imply that you are taking a temporary departure from the main theme, can he? What was the main theme again? The entire sentence is a contradiction of terms. I overlooked it and focused on the main point of the sentence, as picking out an error like that when one fully understands what the person is trying to say only makes one look like a moron.

You fail, miserably, once again.

SEMANTICS MAN

*sung to the tune of Trojan Man

qwantz-semantics.png

But technically, given THE VERY DEFINITION OF THE WORD ASIDE, he can't really use the word "aside" and then "to add to the stats"

Actually, he can: "Aside" has a clear meaning... "add to the stats" simply doesn't mean you want/need it to mean... the original poster didn't make a contradiction in terms necessitating that one pretend the word "aside" isn't there, you're simply not reading "add to the stats" correctly. It's really, really simple...

He used the word "aside", that's all you need to know.

----------

Actually, when you first wrote "add to the stats", I wondered if I'd misread, I'd wondered if I was wrong. I went back and checked and, sure enough, "aside" was there.

----------

For everyone else, sorry to carry this on... but this person just won't let it go and posts very arrogantly.

Actually, he can: "Aside" has a clear meaning... "add to the stats" simply doesn't mean you want/need it to mean... the original poster didn't make a contradiction in terms necessitating that one pretend the word "aside" isn't there, you're simply not reading "add to the stats" correctly. It's really, really simple...

He used the word "aside", that's all you need to know.

I'm beginning to think English is not your first language. Your grasp of it is horrific.

So his comment about statistics was a departure from the theme at hand, which was, just in case it zoomed right on past, a statistical analysis of whether or not the setlists have been historically less or more varied.

It's all so clear now! :rolleyes:

Give it up, seriously.

The Smashing Pumpkins played about 60 different songs over two nights in the fall tour. They had a repetoire of about 130. And the arrangements are all really complex now.

Ryan Adams and the Cardinals had a repetoire of about 100 songs.

NIN probably have about 60.

All three artists switch it up all the time. I saw NIN in 99, 06, 08 and 09 and all four gigs were completely different. I think that the reason U2 don't do this is because Bono's voice is dead and he can't sing about 60% of their songs, and wouldn't be able to remember the words. And the musicians aren't good enough to switch it up quickly. As glourious and original as they are, they are pretty average musicians.

There's no spin. "Aside" is clear. The aside was meant as a discrete thing to be considered in and of itself... "to add to the stats" just meant it's also "U2 stats". I'm confident that any "normal" person would read it as such... the word "aside" was deliberately chosen/used.

No it wasn't. Aside is an addendum.

Back
Top Bottom