So'll long Magnificent

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That performance from Philadelphia last night is fucking solid. Old intro, the sped up tempo, way more energetic, you can actually bounce to it. Keep it, but not at The Fly's expense! Drop Elevation or MS in favor of this!

This has to be, what, the third or fourth time someone has made a thread about a song being dropped, only for it to return a few shows later?

...Willie is among us. :ohmy:

That performance from Philadelphia last night is fucking solid. Old intro, the sped up tempo, way more energetic, you can actually bounce to it. Keep it, but not at The Fly's expense! Drop Elevation or MS in favor of this!

:yes:

They gotta leave in the hits with the lazy American audience - Philly would have sat down during The Fly - They reacted to Magnificent - Sadly, that's the way it is in the states - 75,000 people and only maybe 5,000 diehards like us per show - The other 70,000 would not appreciate the awesomeness of The Fly

They gotta leave in the hits with the lazy American audience - Philly would have sat down during The Fly - They reacted to Magnificent - Sadly, that's the way it is in the states - 75,000 people and only maybe 5,000 diehards like us per show - The other 70,000 would not appreciate the awesomeness of The Fly

I don't think the non diehards are any more familar with Magnificent than they are with The Fly. :scratch:

Were you in Philly Thursday night? Cuz I don't think anyone was going to sit down for anything....except maybe Bono when he's rambling.....:D

That being said, I agree that the majority of people in the stands don't know/ haven't heard the fly before.... however it's a more upbeat visually stunning song so The Fly> Magnificent live.

I know lots of people and maybe 4 of them would know The Fly.

nirniva said:
Wait, huh? I was under the impression that Magnificent tanked in terms of airplay.

I think I heard it on the radio once.

But that's because I live in stupid backwards America :(

I heard it on our local "adult alternative" station just before NLOTH came out. I was in the shower and couldn't hear what the DJ was saying, or couldn't really make much out beyond the vague bass notes I could hear.

When I got out, I heard some sounds pleasing to my ears. And then I was all ".... that sounds like Bono. Oh shit, it's a new U2 song!"

And I ran out to the stereo to change the station, because I had vowed to wait until the album was out before hearing any songs beyond Boots.

The end.

I was pissed Magnificent returned at the expense of The Fly in Philly. After EBTTRT I watched Dallas hand Edge the Explorer, then I made this face --> :huh: and I thought "either Edge is gonna play The Fly on his Explorer, which is odd because he usually plays it on a Strat or Les Paul, or we're not getting The Fly tonight.". Then they went into I Will Follow. I mean Magnificent is a great song but I've been killing to see The Fly ever since it's return and then at the one show I attend this leg and they drop it! :angry: I still had the time of my life but the fact they dropped The Fly... arrrrgh I just wonder what could've been.

Magnificent got played on the radio a bunch here in San Diego, CA. (Always the radio edit though :( ) Also the Magnificent remixes were played a lot too. :hmm:
I'm happy it returned in its old form because I loved that intro! But I don't want it to be at the expense of The Fly. :sad: That song should be in every show. :drool:

Yes, I was there and it was awesome.

Not even a case of perception being clouded by actually being there.

I've watched the video multiple times and it was on par with or even a little better than the early 2009 and June/July 09 360 performances.

As for Magnificent vs The Fly, I too really wish they could've dropped MS or Elevation or even Boots to make room.

Magnificent is definitely not in any way, shape or form a bigger or better known song than the Fly, which was the 1st single from one of their most iconic albums. Magnificent tanked on the radio for whatever reason(more than likely the black listing discussed before) and The Fly was a moderate to strong hit that heralded an entire new direction for U2.

The Fly also is much better recevied and more resonant with the 360 production.

Unfortunately, this is a part of U2 we're just going to have to live with. They often bring in songs we'd love to hear at the expense of some of the stronger songs in the set. I remember being happy they debuted North Star and Glastonbury last summer while bringing back Hold Me...Kill Me. I was however, dismayed that they dropped NLOTH, TUF and for a few shows UTEOTW and cut back Ultraviolet substantially to do it.

Having seen Montreal 1 and Philly, I have no complaints about either set list, though. I still would've rotated a few more, still would've worked in Bad, but that is me, 1 of 70,000 and I realize that. I certainly have no complaints about either performance, the band is absolutely phenemonal this leg and Bono is sounding spectacular.

Set list and performance wise, 360 has never been better. Getting Magnificent and having it sound right can only be viewed in this context as a nice bonus.

If they dropped Miss Sarajevo for the Philly version of Magnificent and played Bad instead of Pride, I would say the setlist was as near to perfect as it can be for a stadium show.

OR

Drop Miss Sarajevo for Bad! Now THAT would be perfect. Miss Sarajevo is really the only super weak point of the setlist. I think Pride is as well, but the crowd goes apeshit typically, so it works in that context.

Have you seen it in person? I didn't see 30,000 people going for a piss during MS. "Super weak spot" is a bit melodramatic.

Every show I have attended that MS was done it was used as a bathroom break for a majority of the crowd. Counting Vertigo I have seen it done in person at least 8 times. :shrug: Its not melodramtic, its just how I feel about it and I have heard and seen others here say the same or similiar thing about it.

It is a mediocre slow paced song that most of the crowd are not very familiar with.

Back
Top Bottom