Setlist varies Glad USA is second leg

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
People in my section Thursday were booing "Stay" cause they didn't know it. People shouting Pride and I Will Follow and Angel of Harlem. No one knew the new material at all. I think U2 trying to mix it up more this time around and mix hits in and shake the new stuff, smooth them out. Four songs in a row from the unknown album to most is bad for the show.

SMB

Vertigo became a greatest hits tour leg five cause they were no longer promoting Bomb. They were promoting the greatest hits album

SMB

Just hope we dont get Pride in Raleigh. But look what Bruce is doing for his last shows in the Meadowlands....

Bruce Springsteen has re-written the script for his upcoming concerts at Giants Stadium.

Each of the five shows he and his E Street Band will present will feature one of his classic albums with all the songs played, in order, as well as an assortment of material from other albums. The schedule is:

Sept. 30: "Born to Run"
Oct. 2: "Darkness on the Edge of Town"
Oct. 3: "Born in the USA"
Oct. 8: "Born to Run"
Oct. 9: "Born in the USA"

Springsteen first performed at Giants Stadium in 1985, as part of his "Born in the USA Tour." The Oct. 9 show will be his last concert there, as well as the last concert there, period. The stadium will be torn down to create parking space for a new stadium that is being built at the Meadowlands.

Could u imagine U2 doing audience selections from Crowd or a whole album.... I doubt u2 could play a song out of the blue like the e street band is doing recently. Especially if they never had played before....
But being on second leg or after is the best for seeing u2 as they do need to polish their playing. If you only tour every 4 years it takes a while to get the rust off and learn the new stage etc...:wave:

People in my section Thursday were booing "Stay" cause they didn't know it. People shouting Pride and I Will Follow and Angel of Harlem. No one knew the new material at all. I think U2 trying to mix it up more this time around and mix hits in and shake the new stuff, smooth them out. Four songs in a row from the unknown album to most is bad for the show.

SMB

Wow thats quite shocking tbh. These casual fans need to actually think for a moment and realise its a new tour which means new material and songs being dropped. They really are arrogant towards the band and obviously lack in thinking. They dont give any song they dont know a chance to shine, when you go to a concert surely your expecting to hear new stuff, and be excited about hearing it instead of being ignorant!

I thought Stay was a pretty wellknown song. It was a single and it's been played quite often on past tours.

SMB

Wow, that is amazing. The shows I have been to the only song that sent people to the restrooms or the exit was Your Blue Room and/or Moment Of Surrender. Otherwise the setlist pacing was pretty good and even the non diehards seem to be enjoying it. I never heard anyone boo a song though, at any U2 show I have seen ever. :shrug:

I think the only variation has been some of the order (opening with Magnificent, moving B. Day to a different spot etc...). The only major thing has been Your Blue Room. I think it is actually kind of boring live myself and I'm obviously a diehard. Some lucky Europeans got Electrical Storm, I would take that anyday over YBR. So I don't think there really has been much experimentation at all when you really look at the first and 2nd legs so far. Compared to Vertigo, this tour is more on the static side. Which is fine, its a stadium show and there are less shows. So they need to convey to a larger audience and there are fewer shows to experiment with.

Wow, that is amazing. The shows I have been to the only song that sent people to the restrooms or the exit was Your Blue Room and/or Moment Of Surrender. Otherwise the setlist pacing was pretty good and even the non diehards seem to be enjoying it. I never heard anyone boo a song though, at any U2 show I have seen ever. :shrug:

Yeah, that sounds pretty amazing to me also. I don't think I've ever heard anyone boo a song at any u2 show I've ever been at.

Could u imagine U2 doing audience selections from Crowd or a whole album.... I doubt u2 could play a song out of the blue like the e street band is doing recently. Especially if they never had played before....

I'm sorry, but that would ruin a lot of what I love about U2 shows.

I thought Stay was a pretty wellknown song. It was a single and it's been played quite often on past tours.

If you're in the US, it's a safe bet that the average audience member won't know any other 90s material than One and Mysty Ways.

I wish they would keep Your Blue Room until the Euro tour next year, but I seriously doubt it.

Seing the sad from Washington last night I'm more than glad I went to the European leg of the tour. No comparison, IMO. It's worrying that U2 drops new songs and doesn't replace them.

^ It's right, but it shows a general tendency and there hasn't been much variation going on on the US leg so far. Instead, sets seem to get shorter, new songs are dropped and, besides YBR, no songs are added to the set. Just an observation, I hope it will change.

I am surprised they didn't perform Pride in Washington.

I really wish they wouldn't drop NLOTH, since, IMO, it's the best live song on the album. But I guess they'll bring it back and also UC. The new songs obviously haven't been received very well by fans and critics in the US. But this should give U2 even more reason to play them.

and for the record, i've definitely been the most scathing of the most recent setlist than anyone else who's posted, as far as i've seen. but let's not base our opinions on one leg and the entire tour on one show.

i think it's too early to tell if this is going to be commonplace or not. i remember after the third european show people were already saying the setlist was stagnant. now if the next five shows don't have these songs either, then we might be onto something.

THis is why it is great the band practise in Europe before landing in USA> they start to vary things as they must get bored and maybe with a little practice they feel comfortable making changes.......

We are so lucky to have second leg. Now lets hear some Popmart music please!!!!

non-understandable reaction. Did we say that as U2 practised first in 1997, 2001 and 2005 in US?

I rather think the setlists get bored now. See the last one in DC ... i really don't understand it. Play the freaking songs like MOFO, Drowning Man, Please, Songs from Boy/October. Still the same songs over and over again!
WHy?????

I've seen them 7 times this tour and yes it was great, but still the same song they're playing for years. They can do better than this. Play more non-hits songs please in 2010 ...

I really wish they wouldn't drop NLOTH, since, IMO, it's the best live song on the album. But I guess they'll bring it back and also UC.

Totally agree. It looks like a mistake to me, maybe they just forgot to play NLOTH...

About YBR: It's one of my favorite U2 songs, but it doesn't sound thát good live. (As far as I can judge about that, haven't seen it live myself, only the recordings) Is anyone with me?

I listened to Your Blue Room from the Giants show this morning and it's really beautiful, I also love the space/astronauts pieces, they fit very well. It's sad that the song isn't received better live, it seems like the energy is really totally going away when they play it. It's a good choice to play Beautiful day after it, but BD needs the oriental intro.

Only 5 songs. Is it evolving into a Greatest Hits tour a la Vertigo...

They're probably a bit underwhelmed by the crowd reaction in the U.S., so they're trying to experiment on the setlist a bit (changing openers, mixing the new songs with the hits in the opening section...). The Milano bootleg gets better with time, just listen to the crowd singing along to Magnificent for example... :drool: Can't have that everywhere!

Wow, just looked at last nights setlist. I think the setlist is starting regress in a bad way. No reason to panic yet but dropping "No Line On The Horizon" is a BAD move. Best live song from the new album IMO. Then playing the snoozer that is YBR and not NLOTH, wow, I honestly do not know what they are thinking at this point. It already is starting to have the "going through the motions" feel when it comes to the setlist. I'm sure the performance was great, as it typically is, but setlist wise the Vertigo tour (so far) has blown this one away.

I'm glad I got to see/hear NLOTH live, I would have been VERY disappointed if they didn't do it at the shows I attended. I hope they bring it back and it was just a one show abomination! ;)

Well, according to someone who posted in the DC thread, the setlist was definitely changed apparently due to the late start.

Back
Top Bottom