Setlist Predictions / Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Based on what you have heard and read, create a reasonable setlist for the new tour. The "Horizon Tour 2009-2010". The return to Achtung Baby creativity (like HTDAAB brought back Boy), I have included a Pop/Achtung kind of encore. Also included some pair ups used from previous tours. Here is my look at a possible setlist idea.

01 No Line on the Horizon
02 Get on Your Boots
03 Vertigo / Stories for Boys
04 I Will Follow
05 I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
06 The Unforgettable Fire
07 Beautiful Day
08 Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
09 Unknown Caller
10 October
11 New Year's Day
12 Pride (In the Name of Love)
13 Bad / The First Time
14 Angel of Harlem -- acoustic B&E
15 Stay (Faraway, so Close!) -- acoustic B&E
16 Moment of Surrender
17 All I Want is You
18 Where the Streets Have No Name
encore
19 Mofo
20 Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
21 With or Without You
encore
22 Elevation
23 I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
24 "40"

SMB

02 Get on Your Boots
03 Even Better than the Real Thing
04 Unknown Caller
05 One - Unchained Melody
06 Unforgettable Fire
07 Seconds
08 Sunday Bloody Sunday
09 Cedars of Lebanon
10 Moment of Surrender
11 Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
12 Beautiful Day (extended intro - like Notre Dame)
13 Until the End of the World
14 New Year's Day
15 Out of Control
16 Vertigo

17 Streets
18 I Will Follow
19 Still Havent Found
20 With or Without You

21 Crazy...
22 Bad/40

Here's my guess for opening night...

No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
I Will Follow
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
All I Want Is You
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Desire - acoustic
Sometimes - acoustic
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bullet The Blue Sky
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
Pride

Vertigo
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You

Beautiful Day
Breathe
One

To me, it seems ridiculous to be attempting to predict setlists when we've only heard one song. Written descriptions and beach clips really give very little hint on where or how a given song could work within a set.

But no, let's not heed the lessons we learnt last time around ...

Uh, since we haven't heard the songs, it's hard to predict setlists.

But in the interest of "having fun with it" I'll predict that GOYB will indeed be the second song, not the first. It's not intro music. The way it starts with a drum fill just screams out to be played second, to make a crowd already screaming at the conclusion of the set's opener scream even louder with the opening notes of the big radio tune.

I like the idea of not opening with the big hit single. I'd love to see them do something like Springsteen, where the first song is one from the back catalogues, something that's beloved and maybe rarely-heard, and then crack into the big single.

Then again, U2 seems to cater more to the casual fan than Springsteen, so I really doubt they'd do it. But still ... a gal can dream of them opening with Streets again, right? ;)

I'd be disappointed if they opened with Streets. You can't have the highlight of the show be the first number! Then it's all downhill from there!

Of course "downhill" is never really "downhill" with our boys, but I think Streets is sort of a showstopper. It needs to be later in the set.

EDIT:

Intro - Whole Lotta Love
02 Get on Your Boots
03 Even Better than the Real Thing
04 Unknown Caller
05 One - MLK
06 Unforgettable Fire
07 Seconds
08 Sunday Bloody Sunday
09 Cedars of Lebanon
10 Moment of Surrender
11 Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own
12 Beautiful Day (extended intro - like Notre Dame)
13 Until the End of the World
14 New Year's Day
15 Out of Control
16 Vertigo

17 Streets
18 I Will Follow
19 Still Havent Found
20 With or Without You

21 Crazy...
22 Bad/40

Yeah, i wont predict a full set, but I do think we'll see more of TUF songs this time.

Also, from the beach clip, i think Unknown Caller would be a tops opener

I like the idea of not opening with the big hit single. I'd love to see them do something like Springsteen, where the first song is one from the back catalogues, something that's beloved and maybe rarely-heard, and then crack into the big single.

Then again, U2 seems to cater more to the casual fan than Springsteen, so I really doubt they'd do it. But still ... a gal can dream of them opening with Streets again, right? ;)

Actually, I love the fact that they always use a new song to open the shows of the new tour. I would be disappointed if they don't do that. It'll sound like they're are just doing a Stones-style tour and not a "new tour of the new album"

If U2 did the Springsteen fan... how about "Rejoice"... or a slow "October" opening... Start with that then as Bono's singing "Go On...." Adam rips into "New Year's Day"

SMB

I wrote this up as dan smee was doing his post... We both thought of Lady

01 -- October
02 -- New Year's Day
03 -- Get on Your Boots
04 -- No Line on the Horizon
05 -- Vertigo
06 -- I Will Follow
07 -- I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
08 -- The Unforgettable Fire
09 -- Wire
10 -- MLK
11 -- Where the Streets Have No Name
12 -- Pride (In the Name of Love)
13 -- Unknown Caller
14 -- Cedars of Lebenon
15 -- All I Want is You
16 -- City of Blinding Lights
encore
17 -- I'll Go Crazy if I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
18 -- Lady with the Spinning Head
19 -- Beautiful Day
20 -- With or Without You
encore
21 -- All Because of You
22 -- Moment of Surrender

SMB

Again, I feel it would be awful if they started the show with a song that's not from the new album. Almost every other famous band open with "classics". It would feel so much like a "greatest hits" tour IMO.

Mofo (Rotterdam :drool:) or Lady With The Spinning Head. :drool::drool::drool::drool:

I think I'd pass out at the concert.

Until I know the musical style of the album after hearing it, I'll refrain from making predictions.

I don't know about predictions, but I don't want anything prior to the new album from this decade. And the only pre-Joshua Tree songs I'd love to hear are:

A Celebration
Party Girl
11 'O Clock Tick Tock
The Drowning Man
Like a Song
The Unforgettable Fire
Bad
Promenade

After that, lots of Joshua Tree rarities like Exit, but also the popular tracks; the entirety of Achtung Baby, especially the last 4 songs on the album, etc

1. Drunk Chicken/America
2. Get On Your Boots
3. Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
4. Until The End Of The World
5. New Year's Day
6. Wire
7. Exit
8. Stand Up Comedy/The Lemon Song (Snippet)
9. Gloria
10. Out Of Control
11. Breathe
12. Last Night On Earth
13. Gone
14. Love And Peace Or Else
15. Sunday Bloody Sunday
16. Seconds
17. Bullet The Blue Sky
18. Running To Stand Still
19. Where The Streets Have No Name

ENCORE

20. A Sort Of Homecoming
21. Moment Of Surrender
22. Magnificent
23. Bad/40

MAKE IT HAPPEN, U2!

Is this a nod to Anihilation Tour???

No, I just thought it was an amusing segue.

It can be replaced by United Colours throughout the rest of the world. The departure of the casual fans will make navigating in the pit a whole lot easier for the REAL™ fans.

Uh, since we haven't heard the songs, it's hard to predict setlists.

But in the interest of "having fun with it" I'll predict that GOYB will indeed be the second song, not the first. It's not intro music. The way it starts with a drum fill just screams out to be played second, to make a crowd already screaming at the conclusion of the set's opener scream even louder with the opening notes of the big radio tune.

Exactly. Can't really setlist songs you don't know.

I'm with you on GOYB too, though I can't say I'd be shocked if it's further into the set either. Sounds like something that would be good around the 2nd-5th song to open the concert strongly, or to return to near the end of the main set to go out with a bit of a punch.

Again, I feel it would be awful if they started the show with a song that's not from the new album. Almost every other famous band open with "classics". It would feel so much like a "greatest hits" tour IMO.

It's funny you should say this, since the only time U2 have opened with songs from earlier albums was when they were on the way to fame. A War song has never opened a full tour concert (SBS did open the Hershey public rehearsal in 1992 and you can find some other smaller appearances); on the War Tour, OOC and Gloria rotated as openers. On the UF Tour, UF songs only opened two gigs - Wire opened one and MLK another, with 11 O'clock Tick Tock opening the vast majority of the remainder. Lovetown obviously had some Joshua Tree openers, but that case was a bit different. Since Achtung, it's just been new songs: Zoo Station at every ZooTV show, Mofo at every Popmart show, Elevation at every Elevation Tour show apart from one Beautiful Day opened, and COBL, Vertigo, and LAPOE opened Vertigo Tour shows. I can't say I'd mind a change back to opening with an older song. I'd fantasise about Hawkmoon 269 opening, since it was so impeccable in that role on Lovetown, but that's never ever going to happen.

Considering I have no idea how the new songs will sound ill go with:

1. New Song
2. New Song

The rest is too hard:applaud:

I'd say if the album is good enough, if they're proud of it, if they're tired of their older material and feel they themselves were turning into a greatest hits band they'll more than likely play 10 songs off the new album. HELL, if the album is that good what if they play it all? That'd be 11 new songs. And if they're feeling good I wonder if they'd play some of the songs they recorded for the Anton film?

Remember opening night if Zoo TV they played about 7-8 new songs straight before they even touched an older song.

But I'd image 9-10 new songs, then you know they'll play Vertigo, maybe COBL, Beautiful Day of course.

U2 average around 21-24 songs per concert. So there's going to be about 7-8 classics, plus stuff from the last 2 albums that have become the new classics..

I just get the feeling with the new tour that hopefully U2 would focus on newer stuff... but without the repetition of the Zoo TV tour setlists.

It's funny you should say this, since the only time U2 have opened with songs from earlier albums was when they were on the way to fame. A War song has never opened a full tour concert (SBS did open the Hershey public rehearsal in 1992 and you can find some other smaller appearances); on the War Tour, OOC and Gloria rotated as openers. On the UF Tour, UF songs only opened two gigs - Wire opened one and MLK another, with 11 O'clock Tick Tock opening the vast majority of the remainder. Lovetown obviously had some Joshua Tree openers, but that case was a bit different. Since Achtung, it's just been new songs: Zoo Station at every ZooTV show, Mofo at every Popmart show, Elevation at every Elevation Tour show apart from one Beautiful Day opened, and COBL, Vertigo, and LAPOE opened Vertigo Tour shows. I can't say I'd mind a change back to opening with an older song. I'd fantasise about Hawkmoon 269 opening, since it was so impeccable in that role on Lovetown, but that's never ever going to happen.

Hawkmoon 269 :drool:
Anyway, if they were supposed to bring old songs to the opener spot they should've done this on Vertigo Tour. There they were trying to "recapture" aspects of their old shows. There it might feel appropriate.
Now, with this new album and all this hype about innovation and etc. it would just feel weird. And that's not the only reason, like I said, it would look like they are on a greatest hits tour. Since Zoo TV the show opening with a new song always was kinda of a statement that U2 wanted to let clear to people that they wouldn't become a juke-box band, cashing on their old hits and showing that they still can produce songs as good as they did in the past (I know you don't agree but that's another story :wink:) and play them on their shows right next to the "classics". If they start to open their shows with Streets, etc, it might bring that juke-box image again.
They had their chance to do that with Vertigo, where they could use old lesser-known songs to open, but they wasted that chance. :(

Btw, I forgot they didn't have this "tradition" back in the early 80's. But again, there no one could say that they were trying to cash-in. Actually all this happened because of the critics R&H received, if I remember correctly.

Back
Top Bottom