Setlist Predictions / Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
MODERN TIMES TOUR

1- No line on the horizon
2- Get on your boots
3- Vertigo
4- I'll go crazy if i don't go crazy tonight
5- Beautiful day
6- Magnificent
7- Kite
8- City of blinding lights
9- Stand up comedy
10-Love and peace or else

11-Original of the species
12-In a little while
13-White as snow

14-New York
15-Unknown caller
16-Moment of surrender

17-Fez-Being Born
18-Breathe
19-Walk on

20-Electrical storm
21-The ground beneath her feet
22-Cedars of lebanon

That's what i really want.

Bono is a more competent guitarist than we give him credit for being. His guitar is definitely audible on a number of songs.

That doesn't mean he's competent. He's shockingly poor for someone who's been a musician for thirty years. He can pretty much play a few chords, that's it.

MODERN TIMES TOUR

1- No line on the horizon
2- Get on your boots
3- Vertigo
4- I'll go crazy if i don't go crazy tonight
5- Beautiful day
6- Magnificent
7- Kite
8- City of blinding lights
9- Stand up comedy
10-Love and peace or else

11-Original of the species
12-In a little while
13-White as snow

14-New York
15-Unknown caller
16-Moment of surrender

17-Fez-Being Born
18-Breathe
19-Walk on

20-Electrical storm
21-The ground beneath her feet
22-Cedars of lebanon

That's what i really want.

Pretty unrealistic, but man would that be amazing. The entire new album + In a Little While + Love and Peace + Electrical Storm = :drool::hyper::rockon:

That doesn't mean he's competent. He's shockingly poor for someone who's been a musician for thirty years. He can pretty much play a few chords, that's it.

How can you know this?? He only plays a few chords live, we have no idea what he can play in a non-live situation. He plays a prominant rhythm part for The Fly and pretty much carried Staring at the Sun in Las Vegas when the band fell apart trying to play it.

Who gives a stuff who can play what.

Edge clearly plays the the guitar the best.

Without the others they wouldn't be U2

QED

How can you know this?? He only plays a few chords live, we have no idea what he can play in a non-live situation. He plays a prominant rhythm part for The Fly and pretty much carried Staring at the Sun in Las Vegas when the band fell apart trying to play it.

he wrote and played the piano part in "Beach Sequence".:up:

I'm somehow doubting that Fez-Being Born will be played live.

i think its a lock that it will.

Think of the baby slot-machine thing coming in from the encore break. Play the minute of stuff at the start and launch in.

What about the charlton heston guns thingo?

I am picking it for the first song after the break

I loved that Baby slot machine thing with the "Mama's" getting louder and louder. :drool:

Reviewed setlist based on the many numerous descriptions

1. Unknown Caller
2. No Line on the Horizon (Punk)
3. Crazy Tonight
4. Beautiful Day
5. A Sort of Homecoming
6. Get On Your Boots
7. White as Snow
8. Walk On
9. Vertigo
10. Exit
11. Stand Up
12. Bullet
13. Running to Stand Still
14. Breathe
15. Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
16. Where the Streets Have no Name

17. Fez-Being Born
18. Dirty Day
19. With Or Without You
20. Magnificent

21. City of Blinding Lights
22. Moment of Surrender
23. Cedars of Lebanon
24. No Line on the Horizon (atmospheric)

This isnt exactly what I want, but I think its possible.

Main points that I think are realistic:

Every song from NLOTH being played

Both versions of NLOTH

Fez and COBL opening the two encores (Fez with the minute of atmosphere, COBL because it was an awesome opener)

Magnificent closing first encore

A few new songs to start (like zootv)

Exit going into stand up.

Dirty Day into WOWY.

^ no, unknown caller :drool: in total darkness for the first verse/chrous... I can just imagine standing in a massive stadium, in the cold and then that chorus :drool:

No Line On The Horizon
Get On Your Boots
Until The End Of The World
New Year's Day
Magnificent
Moment Of Surrender
Unknown Caller
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For/Elevation
All I Want Is You/Kite
City Of Blinding Lights - i have a funny feeling this one is gonna stick around
I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
Desire - Acoustic
Sometimes - Acoustic/Stuck - Acoustic
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
Where The Streets Have No Name
Mysterious Ways
With Or Without You

Vertigo
Beautiful Day
Pride
_________

Bullet The Blue Sky
One
Breathe

I think they´re so proud of their album, that they will do the same as with Zoo TV - they´ll be playing most of the album and a lot of it´s songs in a row at the beginning.

1. No line on the horizon (Punk Version)
2. Breathe
3. Get on your boots
4. Magnificent
5. Unknown Caller
6. Beautiful Day
7. New Year´s Day
8. Mysterious Ways
9. Desire
10. Stand up Comedy
11. Hold me thrill me kiss me kill me
12. Bad
13. White as snow
14. Bullet the Blue Sky
15. Moment of Surrender
16. Where the streets have no name
17. One

Encore 1:

18. Fez - Being Born
19. Vertigo
20. Crazy Tonight
21. Acrobat
22. Walk on

Encore 2:

23. With or without you
24. Cedars of Lebanon
25. No Line on the horizon (alternate version)

Will U2 finally change their setlist formula?!

Since the beginning it has been [new songs + greatest hits + a couple of surprises.]

This appears to be a fundamentally flawed strategy as their impressive back catalogue grows (and many of the "old warhorse songs" are not performed with the same passion and sound stale.)

My hope is that they increase the selection of lesser played songs and hopefully add in 1 or 2 that have never been played live. For me, the most inspiring moments are when they do an incredible version of a lesser played song (and not some acoustic Bono and Edge "lets pretend this is better and mask that we did not take the time to rehearse a kick ass full band version."

Inspired moments such as 11 O'Clock during Elevation and OTH during Vertigo tour as well as An Cat Dubh, etc...

IMO, increasing the percentage of songs like this (in place of old warhorses that sound stale) would significantly improve the "magic" of the live experience.

It would also be phenomenal if they also selected at least 1 or 2 never played songs to pick up (Love Comes Tumbling, Acrobat, Red Tree Mining Town, etc.)

I'm sure someone will say that U2 "has to play the greatest hits because most people will only see one show and are not diehard fans."

:doh:

This entire thought process however is based in part on fear and does the band no justice when they sound stale. Plus it does not make sense to keep the same old formula now that they have so many amazing songs.

If Bono really went back to the studio versions (like it seemed he may have before singing Pride at the recently) and practiced the vocal...it could be very special.

Anyway, I would love to hear what others think about this.:wave:

I would love to see them ditch some songs that are consistently played and bring back some forgotten songs. I love Pride but I'm sick of hearing it live. Same goes for Bullet. Just can that song already. They have such a great back catalog, yet ignore a lot of it.

I'd love to hear "Daddy's Gonna Pay", "Please", "Another Time Another Place", "I Threw a Brick" to name a few, make it on the set list.

I think people need to accept the fact that Acrobat and RHMT probably are never going to be played live.

Then again, if I had been a fan this time fours ago, I would probably have been saying that The First Time and The Wanderer would never be played live (the latter of which was played in a way that obviously required a decent bit of rehearsal), that all of the Boy songs, OTH, Kite, etc. would never see the light of day again, and that Mofo had no chance of being even soundchecked.

If comparisons are true I'd love to hear the return of the unforgettable fire after 20 years.

I think it has a lot to do with how the album performances in terms of sales. If it sells well then we could see some unique choices outside the greatest hits. If it doesn't, I suspect you could see some of the new songs being dropped and more greatest hits.

thanks for the sarcastic response :wave:

i wasn't being sarcastic?? but if you like I can go on a tyraid about how you should actually check the forum for an appropriate place to post, rather than start different threads on the same topic and clog the forum with the same shit :wave::wave:

I think it has a lot to do with how the album performances in terms of sales. If it sells well then we could see some unique choices outside the greatest hits. If it doesn't, I suspect you could see some of the new songs being dropped and more greatest hits.

Very insightful!:up:

Back
Top Bottom