Rock N Roll Hall Of Fame 25th Anniversary Setlist Party 10/30/09 Pics + Videos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
More pics!

58783962.jpg
58783964.jpg
58783965.jpg
58783970.jpg
58783958.jpg
58783978.jpg
58783937.jpg
58784058.jpg
58784058.jpg
58784058.jpg
58783927.jpg
58783929.jpg

:sad: When I read Bruce and U2 were on different nights I decided not to try and get tickets, now I see they not only ended up playing on the same night, but together? Seems magical, I'm just hating myself a little bit now for missing this, and Gavin Friday.

Reports from Rolling Stone:

--------
• Annie Lennox joins Aretha Franklin for “Chain of Fools” wearing a maroon felt hat and a T-shirt with a prominent message: “HIV Positive” reads the front; “Fighting HIV/AIDS” is emblazoned on the back. The song is so successful, Franklin gushes, “That was so good” and does little dance.

• Lenny Kravitz blows the crowd away with an amazingly soulful take on his verses of “Think.” Aretha starts to dance off on Lenny’s arm, but it’s just a psych-out. She’s back for a sizzling “Respect.”

• Jeff Beck opens with an homage to Ray Charles: “Drown In My Own Tears.” He wraps with a tribute to the Beatles, laying down a gorgeous, drawn-out “A Day in the Life” that stuns the crowd.

• Beck also brings out the two most spectacularly bearded men in the building: Sting sings “People Get Ready,” Billy Gibbons lends his gravely pipes to “Foxy Lady.” The non-bearded Buddy Guy joins for “Let Me Love You Baby,” and the crowd is mesmerized by Tal Wilkenfeld, Beck’s killer bassist.

• Metallica’s James Hetfield gets the crowd head-banging and laughing when he introduces Bob Seger’s “Turn the Page” as “one of the songs I wish we would have wroted — and thank my English teacher right now — I wish we had written.”

• The room fills with boisterous “Lllllllouuuus” as Lou Reed joins the band for searing versions of “Sweet Jane” and “White Light/White Heat.”

• Hetfield introduces “the crazy guy who epitomizes the rock & roll singer.” Ozzy Osbourne’s first words: “I can’t fucking hear! Louder!” Metallica bring the noise for “Iron Man” and Paranoid,” injecting the Black Sabbath songs with serious adrenaline.

• “We got completely schooled on early, early riff rock by this man and his band, the Kinks,” Hetfield says, introducing “one of the original punks,” Ray Davies. Enter powerful renditions of “You Really Got Me” and “All Day and All of the Night.” Metallica cap the set with “Enter Sandman.”

• Weeks on the road with the 360° Tour have given U2’s “Magnificent” an airy charm that stands up to some of their biggest hits. The song is resplendent and resonate in MSG.

• The crowd explodes when Bono utters the following: “This is the song we wish we’d written. It’s a Bruce Springteen song so we’d like to ask him to come out here. It’s also a Patti Smith song, we’d like to ask her to come out here.” After flubbing the beginning of “Because the Night,” the crew run through it again, tripling up on vocals on the chorus.

• Bono intros “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For” with a long speech: “Here in rock & roll’s great cathedral, Madison Square Garden, think about all the pilgrims and pioneers that got us all here, the saints and the heretics, the poets and the punks that now make up the Hall of Fame. It’s a dangerous thing, this business of building idols, but at least, rock & roll is not at its best about worshiping sacred cows. It’s about thousands of voices gathered at once in a great unwashed congregation, like tonight. For a lot of us here, rock & roll means just one word: liberation. Political, sexual, spiritual liberation.”

Bruce Springsteen responds: “Let’s have some fun with that.”

• The night’s second-biggest surprise arrives when “Mysterious Ways” suddenly takes a left turn into the Black Eyed Peas’ “Where Is the Love.” It’s wacky to see Bono trading verses with Will.i.am, but as he recently told RS, he’s open to all kinds of musical experiences.

• The night’s biggest surprise arrives when Mick Jagger strolls onstage to the haunting beginnings of “Gimme Shelter.” Fergie nails the high parts at the end, and she and the Rolling Stones’ leader sing face to fact, hopping up and down with pure energy. At the track’s end, all Bono can say is, “Oh my God.”

• Jagger stays for “Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get Out Of,” trading verses with Bono in a moment of mutual respect. U2 bring it home with “Beautiful Day”: awesome, inspiring and tight.

OMG! What a night. This totally makes up for me not going to Vegas. This is the 2nd time I got to see U2 with Bruce. When Mick Jagger came out the entire Garden errupted. It was epic. Mick Jagger came out of MSG around 3 pm and went into one of the HBO trailers and was literally 100 feet away from me. Didn't get to meet U2, they didn't stop. Not too sure on afterwards. I had to catch a train home at 12:30. I'm really tired and will post more later.

The Rolling Stone report sums it up- .. AMAZING performances, and the sound was incredible.

I was on Adam's side, side stage. I could see the obstructed view seats...would love to hear from anyone who had them.... It did NOT seem like a good place to be, athough,, it got you live audio and a screen to watch?
I was able to see behind the front stage for the bands set up, while Metallica played
Sam O was 'air drumming' for a bit... very cool !! Got to see Dallas, too..what a mess of equipment and cables in a confined, dark area- these guys deserve huge credit for the set up they do..

BRUCE, Patti and U2 were :drool: on stage,, once they got it straightened out - lol.

BEP were up there having a great time.. and Bono actually sang a minimal amount on this tune.. but was having fun...

ISHFWILF - mesmerizing. i never tire of hearing this one.

Mick and U2, :heart: MAGIC. Fergie rocked her way through... as she does. She has great control over her voice and added another layer to the performance.
She showed them each a little bit of love,, especially Edge, (for the Edge lovers) -full body leaning on him so sweeet - he kept his concentration though!

I have a new respect for Metallica.. they were incredible.
Ozzy was basking in his glory, the crowd was wild for him.
Ray Davies - perfect addition to this show.

Jeff Beck ( WOW, just WOWWWW) Sting, and then Billy Gibbons - needed to hear more from them.
same for Annie Lennox and Lennie Kravitz... i was very disappointed not to get more.

Mixed crowd,, young - 11 or 12 yrs old,,,to 60's +

Going to be in severe U2 withdrawals, unless they show up sometime after MTV Euro Awards, we'll all need a fix in between November and June.

OMG! What a night. This totally makes up for me not going to Vegas. This is the 2nd time I got to see U2 with Bruce. When Mick Jagger came out the entire Garden errupted. It was epic. Mick Jagger came out of MSG around 3 pm and went into one of the HBO trailers and was literally 100 feet away from me. Didn't get to meet U2, they didn't stop. Not too sure on afterwards. I had to catch a train home at 12:30. I'm really tired and will post more later.

:applaud:

I was on Adam's side, side stage. I could see the obstructed view seats...would love to hear from anyone who had them.... It did NOT seem like a good place to be, athough,, it got you live audio and a screen to watch?

yes, it got us live audio... it was pretty much like being backstage for the show. ya saw all the setups, all the acts before they went on and as they came off, all the surprise guests before they went on stage... and when u2 went on they moved one of the big dividers all the way back so you could see the entire performance live just as if you had behind the stage tickets at a nomral u2 gig. oh, and did i mention it was free?

a little disapointed that u2's set was so short... but, hey... it was free.

jagger and fergie stole the show on "gimmie shelter." unreal... jeff beck was awesome as well... also would not want to follow metallica ever. they bring so much energy to the stage.

annie lennox either has hiv or is trying poorly to be ironic.

u2 were the only act to use the giant teleprompter for their entire set... most of the other acts only used it for covers and when guests showed up. bono even had his cheesey pre-still haven't found what i'm looking for speech up on the teleprompter.

also thought that u2's set selections were a little "meh" for a show that's supposed to celebrate rock history... apparently they forgot that they played music before 2000. obviously playing stuck with jagger has a history that u2 fans know of... but how about a little i will follow or even streets to close it out instead of vertigo, magnificent and beautiful day?

great show, even if all i saw was the backs of people's heads for 3 hours before u2 went on.

"Because the Night" :drool: so cool to see them all collaborate, about halfway through watching the video I suddenly remembered that she wrote the song with Springsteen in the first place.

Back
Top Bottom