Pride going going Gone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad it's gone. :yes:

When they performed it at the pre-inauguration concert, it had so much meaning, I loved it. Shame about the sound system though.

I noticed an odd thing in Chicago. The crowd seemed more into the post-2000's material than the 80's-90's stuff. Crowds were more up for Beautiful Day, Elevation, COBL, Walk On and Vertigo than they were for WOWY, SBS, One, Pride etc. I noticed a bit of this during the Vertigo tour as well. Songs like Gloria, Bad and Electric Co. had a lot of audience members with big question marks over their heads, and not as much of the audience were familiar with the crowd participation that 40 or Party Girl require. I doubt many hardcore fans nowadays walk away from the concert feeling cheated that Pride wasn't played.

i will say i am a bit pleased to see them giving at least one warhorse a break. i hope they kinda shake things up a little though and don't just retire pride. bring it back after a bit and then give another song a bit of a rest.

i will say i am a bit pleased to see them giving at least one warhorse a break. i hope they kinda shake things up a little though and don't just retire pride. bring it back after a bit and then give another song a bit of a rest.

There are so many rotations U2 could do. I've said it before but I'll say it again. Imagine if they did all of these:

Night 1 / Night 2
Pride / New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Bullet
Mysterious Ways / EBTTRT
One / ISHFWILF
AIWIY / WOWY
Desire / Angel
I Will Follow / Elevation
UTEOTW / The Fly

Of the eight above pairs, the songs serve similar purposes so it'd be very easy to rotate them nightly, some could very easily even share lighting and visuals. Any casual fan's going to be quite content with eight hits such as those. Then you've got your locks - i.e. Streets, and at present Beautiful Day and Vertigo. 7 or 8 new songs. And the remaining few positions can rotate fan favourites, from your well-known classics like Bad and UF to your forgotten gems like YBR and ES.

I guarantee you, if U2 did that, songs like WOWY, One, Pride, and Co. would sound a hell of a lot more fresh. It doesn't even cost you setlist cohesion or a loss of concert theme, since you're swapping like for like!

There are so many rotations U2 could do. I've said it before but I'll say it again. Imagine if they did all of these:

Night 1 / Night 2
Pride / New Year's Day
Sunday Bloody Sunday / Bullet
Mysterious Ways / EBTTRT
One / ISHFWILF
AIWIY / WOWY
Desire / Angel
I Will Follow / Elevation
UTEOTW / The Fly

Of the eight above pairs, the songs serve similar purposes so it'd be very easy to rotate them nightly, some could very easily even share lighting and visuals. Any casual fan's going to be quite content with eight hits such as those. Then you've got your locks - i.e. Streets, and at present Beautiful Day and Vertigo. 7 or 8 new songs. And the remaining few positions can rotate fan favourites, from your well-known classics like Bad and UF to your forgotten gems like YBR and ES.

I guarantee you, if U2 did that, songs like WOWY, One, Pride, and Co. would sound a hell of a lot more fresh. It doesn't even cost you setlist cohesion or a loss of concert theme, since you're swapping like for like!

Great suggestions indeed! Another idea I always thought would be good is to have an album showcase set somewhere in the middle of the show. Kind of a break between the first act (newer songs) and 2nd act (warhorses). Just a 3 song set where they play songs from a given album. Like one night could be a Boy set, and they'd do Out of control, An Cat Dubh and Electric Co. The next night could be Pop, and we could get Mofo, Gone and Please. It would definitely keep things fresh. I think this, combined with Axver's "rotation of the warhorses" theory, would make for a really interesting tour experience for concert goers and setlist watchers like us!

Axver, I'm with you and been saying this for years.

U2 are more than capable musicians to do this and it would keep the diehards/even casuals very interested. Lately it seems U2 is getting a groove of moving things around.

where the fuck is this song now....enough is enough...we need some rotation now...rotation U2! Rotation!

What??

Ok maybe not better, but UF-JT-LT performances were pretty damn special. As good, even.
Have to disagree. Studio version of Pride is one of their finest moments. Not even the live performances Axver mentioned are close imo.

Back
Top Bottom