Opening Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn Bonneau

New Yorker
Can anyone else see Magnificent being a kick ass opener? Picture it.. The build up in the dark then wammo... right into Edge's guitar kick and Bono' shouting "magnificent"

SMB

Magnificent doesn't feel like an opener....a great track early on in the set though. No Line On The Horizon really sounds like the opener......it has its loud moments....it has a nice buildup, etc. Probably a cross between versions 1/2 is what we'll see in concert.

Magnificent is defenitly my choice as this tour opener! It was my choice even before I heard the album just based on descriptions and clips!! :D They could have a nice cool Eno like intro and then go straight into Magnificent!

This would a be a great, rocking, swinging, kick ass way of starting the new shows:
01. Magnificent
02. No Line On The Horizon
03. Two Hearts Beat As One

I'd personally favour placing Magnificent near the end of the main set as one of the big, jubilant moments the band seem to like to use to round out things (see: Pride for most of its live history, Gloria when it didn't open War gigs, OOC in the early days).

But it'd certainly do a good job as an opener too.

I'd personally favour placing Magnificent near the end of the main set as one of the big, jubilant moments the band seem to like to use to round out things (see: Pride for most of its live history, Gloria when it didn't open War gigs, OOC in the early days).

I agree. I think the title track will be the opener.

Am I the only one who hasn't heard these songs??!!! How did you guys get copies? I just checked iTunes (USA) and there is only one song, "Boots" for sale.

I am depressed!

show opener at the Let Me in the Sound Tour?

figure it's got to be Magnificent.

Has the long instrumental, gives plenty of time for them to take the stage, slow build, almost sounds like Pop Music just before the guitar kicks in.

that's where i'm placing my bet.

Unknown Caller.

The birds chirping, all the intro stuff could be on the PA, then Edge comes in with the heavier guitar at the 1:15 point, and all 4 are mic'd up doing the WHOOOO_OO_OOO_OOO - would be fucking transcendent :up:

I was just thinking about this. If they did something like Vertigo Tour, it could be Magnificent for the CoBL type opening, and I would love it. However, I think NLOTH could be a good starter too, like how they sometimes opened with Vertigo.

It's going to be the Force Quit and Move to Trash Tour :angry:

I think it'd be awesome if they played Fez - Being Born. Like, have the first part play over the speakers, then when the 2nd part kicks in, bam, it's the band. Then have Being Born somehow segue into Boots (like the Grammys?) or Magnificent.

I agree with Dan. UC would be an awesome, but somewhat unorthodox, opener. NLOTH would be awesome, too, though.

As for Magnificent, I'd like to see it played with Streets and COBL. They could make an awesome trio.

NLOTH--->Magnificent or Fez (intro)--->Boots.

Magnificent could be fine as an opener all by itself, but I just love NLOTH too damn much to think it couldn't work just as well, and I favor that because we would already be used to that order after listening to the album 140582469324690356756750 times.

Sorry, I can't see Magnificent work as an opener. A mix of NLOTH and NLOTH2 should kick off the show, I think Magnificent would work better towards the middle/end of the set. Why not even open the encores with that? Could also be a good idea.

EDIT: FORGET THE RUBBISH FROM ABOVE!!!!!!! I just listened to it again and got the chills thinking about an extended intro and the boys taking the stage to the beginning riff and drums :applaud::drool::hyper:

The title track will probably be the opener. Here's hoping that Fez-Being Born will open the encore (although highly doubtful).

I can't see how they wouldn't open with the title track, but with an extended intro added.

Has anyone else noticed that the guitar riff of "The Fly" kicks in at the 1:12 mark?

Here is my idea for opening the show. Entire stadium is black FEZ- Being Born plays over the PA system some LED are flashing in strange patterns then right after the "let me in the sound" part when I guess it goes into Being Born. The whole band comes in with Bono doing the yelling thing like in the studio version... I realize this will be very unlikely but it may be cool and show them wanting to experiment in live shows?!?

Magnificent as concert opener

I will bet money that this song opens the next tour. The band could extend the Depeche Mode-like intro (with it playing while they go on stage) and then blast off into the song. Who's with me?

i thought the same thing when i listened to it today. it's a big possibility, though i think it would also be great in the middle of the set. it seems like those great U2 intro songs (COBL, Streets, Zoo Station, etc.) also work great in the middle of a set/start of an encore.

The intro surely is the best of the album, but as a concert opener, im not sure. It doesnt rock hard enough and it is too long. I think GOYB would be a good opener.

I think No Line On The Horizon should open. I think it's perfectly suited for that, and I think playing Magnificent first is kind of like blowing their load too early. Keep people waiting for it.

You totally beat me to it!

I was going to suggest the very same thing. I can see them doing some extended intro utilizing various synth and other sounds.

It would make for a fantastic opener indeed.

The other option would be the title track, though I still think Magnificent would be much better.

A Sort Of Homecoming--->Magnificent

Listen to them back-to-back and tell me that wouldn't be a brilliant way to start the tour.

Back
Top Bottom