Opening Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What song will they open with?

My vote is NLOTH....I think they could play about a 3 minute intro from the beggining guitar part from this song..

Yes I agree- the best in that slot since Zoo Station, which barring Queen's One Vision has to be rock n roll's ultimate concert opener.

Magnificent is tailor made to be an opener. I wonder if they'll try out a few different openers (like last time, with Vertigo, COBL and LAPOE). If they do, my bet is they settle on Magnificent. Hopefully that'll be set in stone by Oct 25!! Rose Bowl and 100,000 of my friends, baby!!

Magnificent would be the best option in my mind but Fez-Being Born could be really interesting, if they will play that live.
They have enough uplifting songs for later in the set such as COBL, Streets, Beautiful Day and maybe even the odd TUF song such as Bad or the title track (not likely though).

NLOTH would be a terrible opener unless they add some sort of dramatic build up different from the album. The way the song is now has no suspense and goes much too quickly into the meat of the song. It's sex without the foreplay, which is the most important part of starting a concert. The anticipation. All their best openers have had that. (Streets, Zoo, COBL, etc) So if they choose it, hopefully there will be a cool extended intro or whatever instead of just the weird ambient hum and noises then bam into the song.

I agree that NLOTH will be first, but I have a nagging hunch that Crazy may be a natural opener...that is to say, I can't see Crazy too late in the set. I would also love Fez, for all the reasons mentioned earlier. Anyway it falls out, it is going to be kick-ass all the way through!
Cheers,

No Obvious choice for tour opener

Hi there i have been thinking about this and too be honest i don't think there is any obvious choice to open the show. With the last 2 tours COBL/Vertigo and Elevation i think most people could predict but i really dont have a clue with this tour! As i see it NLOTH could be possible or maybe GOYB but i honestly think they could surprise us and open with an old classic! maybe Sunday Bloody Sunday or Streets?

Listening to the Boston show they could do a longer version of that intro in to GOYB. Can't see them opening with an old one, they haven't done that since the days of Lovetown (I think).

Can't see them opening with an old one, they haven't done that since the days of Lovetown (I think).

Correct. Well, SBS opened the Hershey public rehearsal gig in August 1992, but I don't think that really counts.

I actually think it's about time to return to using an old song. All of the last four tours have opened with new songs and it's becoming a quite predictable setlist element. I'd be quite pleased if they open at least some shows with an old song, then go into a new song second.

Didn't U2 rehearse UTEOW as an opener for Elevation?

Fez/Being Born (theatrical entrance/opener)
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent

NLOTH would be a terrible opener unless they add some sort of dramatic build up different from the album. The way the song is now has no suspense and goes much too quickly into the meat of the song. It's sex without the foreplay, which is the most important part of starting a concert. The anticipation. All their best openers have had that. (Streets, Zoo, COBL, etc) So if they choose it, hopefully there will be a cool extended intro or whatever instead of just the weird ambient hum and noises then bam into the song.

i agree, that's why i think magnificant will open. it fits the bill with the buildup

Listening to the Boston show they could do a longer version of that intro in to GOYB.

Thats what I was thinking. "The future, the future, the future.. needs a big kiss" reminded me of the Vertigo tours "Everyone". The rest of the intro extended would give them time to walk out and get ready.

Something random/instrumental/unknown but LOUD - that gets the crowd moving, then turn it into Magnificent

Actually listening to the album last night made me think Breathe might be a cool opener. Have Larry tak the stage first and open the shwo with a big extended drum intro. Those rumbling rums at the begining of Breathe would be an amazing build up.

The lights go down after the "entrance music" and then the drums start rumbling in. Quiet at first and then louder and louder and louder to the point where it feels like an earthquake. Larry could extend this for however long they wanted. 30 seconds. A minute. whatever. Just let the tension build. Then The Edge kicks in with the guitar riff and at that exact moment an explosion of light fills the stadium. It would be epic.

Fez-Being Born - specially "The Engines ROAR!"
Get On Your Boots
Magnificent
Until The End Of The World or something.....

Thats a pretty good start to the evening :up:

Okay,

As you all know, U2 usually opens up the show with a new song.
For Zoo TV tour, they opened with Zoo Station (awesome opening by the way), for Popmart tour it was Mofo, For the Elevation tour it was....Elevation. For the Vertigo tour it was City of Blinding Lights/sometimes Vertigo.

This begs the question... what will be the opening song for this tour?

So, list the following: A) Song you think they will open with.
B) Song you would PREFER they open with (not necessarily same).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom