Opening Song

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
start a new tour, backing a fantastic new album, with an old song? i don't know about that. but i agree, ASoH needs to come back.

:wink: Hey, it would be a nice change of pace. They haven't opened with an old song since, what, Lovetown? And those two work brilliantly together.

Bet your firstborn it will be NLOTH. Album version till the bridge, then v2 from there on. Then they’ll kick it straight into Boots.

:wink: Hey, it would be a nice change of pace. They haven't opened with an old song since, what, Lovetown? And those two work brilliantly together.

this is true. Bullet was a pretty cool opener, but as a song it had the same feel as Rattle & Hum. i always found it kind of lame when a band plays too many old songs at the start of a show. it always seems like the band is going back to their surefire crowd-pleasers too early, instead of taking the challenge of proving their new songs to their fans. this is why ZooTV was so great -- 10 new songs, right off the bat. that takes some determination, conviction, and balls. even on Popmart, they changed up the sound of I Will Follow to fit in between Mofo and Gone. wouldn't 3 or 4 new songs to start be fucking killer?

My bet is:

NLOTH (album version) opens.

Magnificent is 2nd.

UC 3rd.

Crazy Tonight 4th.

MOS 5th.

Then an old song.

Boots will be in the encore section unfortunately.

I'd say open with Fez-Being Born followed either by GOYB or SUC, maybe even GOYB and then SUC.

Correct, unless you count the public rehearsal at Hershey on 7 August 1992, when Sunday Bloody Sunday opened. "Old" songs were pretty common as openers in the eighties. No War song opened a War Tour concert; it was either Gloria or Out Of Control. 11OTT opened most UF Tour gigs; UF songs only opened twice, with Wire at one Melbourne gig and MLK at Lyon. Then a cover of Stand By Me opened some JT gigs (at which TTYW, of all songs, was sometimes the first JT song in the set), and on Lovetown, the old songs that opened were Streets, Bullet, and IGC.

After all these years of opening with a new song, I'd welcome a change of pace with some old song opening at least some shows.

I could see a ZooTV-style opening with GOYB, actually, although I hope to goodness that doesn't happen and they open with Magnificent or NLOTH instead.

What could happen: GOYB -> Vertigo -> Stand Up Comedy, or some combination of the three.

Here is my idea for opening the show. Entire stadium is black FEZ- Being Born plays over the PA system some LED are flashing in strange patterns then right after the "let me in the sound" part when I guess it goes into Being Born. The whole band comes in with Bono doing the yelling thing like in the studio version... I realize this will be very unlikely but it may be cool and show them wanting to experiment in live shows?!?

As soon as I heard Fez- Being Born I thought it would be an awesome opener. It shifts from like 1st gear to 5th instantly and would be incredible and bring great energy to the venue.

Just a sneaking suspicion.

The opener (but played over the P.A.) will be the first half of Fez(being born) cue bono coming on shouting 'let me in the sound' and then kick into boots

Magnificent is almost too powerful to be an opener. It would do amazing work as the closer before encore. Everyone picture it right now and tell me I'm not right.

I have no idea what they're going to do, but I would love for Breathe to be the opener, with a slightlightly extended intro.

How about Moment of Surrender as the closing song!

What a way to close a live show!

I'd like to see the Fez ambience section played over the speakers, before they go into No Line for the opener. Magnificent sounds more like an encore opening, and the Being Born section of Fez could be played later on acoustically.

Correct, unless you count the public rehearsal at Hershey on 7 August 1992, when Sunday Bloody Sunday opened. "Old" songs were pretty common as openers in the eighties. No War song opened a War Tour concert; it was either Gloria or Out Of Control. 11OTT opened most UF Tour gigs; UF songs only opened twice, with Wire at one Melbourne gig and MLK at Lyon. Then a cover of Stand By Me opened some JT gigs (at which TTYW, of all songs, was sometimes the first JT song in the set), and on Lovetown, the old songs that opened were Streets, Bullet, and IGC.

After all these years of opening with a new song, I'd welcome a change of pace with some old song opening at least some shows.

They should open with Vertigo! That's an old song!

How should they open

After seeing the Brits the other night it reminded me of the zoo tour when Bono stood in front of the European union logo. I got me wondering how they will enter the stage this time and to what song. I think boots or magnificant will open...need a higher energy song. Love the build up to Magnificant

I think there will be a kind of wierd sonic keyboard sound kinda like Zoo Tv and then have an extended Let Me In the Sound intro that seques into Boots with lights down and graphics emulating on a screen and then Bono appears when beat kicks in.

Open with Streets. Been done before, yes. But get it over and done with and then also we don't get Streets as the centrepiece as it has been ever since Zoo TV. Not having Streets midway would make the band think about something different, and I like to suggest anything that causes them to move out of their comfort zone as far as setlists are concerned.

The more I hear "Fez" the more I can hear an extended version starting off the show over the PA, kind of like "4th of July" opening TUF tour. The "let me in the sound" lines are perfect for this. But instead of this intro leading into "Being Born" they go right into NLOTH.

Just a thought...

Back
Top Bottom