Ommited songs on tours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jarvio

War Child
Why is it that when U2 tour, they usually miss out about 3-4 songs from their (at the time) latest album?

Egs:
Elevation tour they ususally missed out WILATW, Wild Honey, POE and Grace.
Vertigo tour they usually missed out AMAAW, CFYT, OSC.
And this tour they miss out SUC, F/BB, WAS, COL.

Just curious

I know that songs like Grace, OSC, and COL are not concert-esque songs, but some of the others? Hmm

It's funny because Grace, OSC, and COL are songs that I wish would find their place in snippets. For example, I'd love to hear snippets of Grace and OSC at the end of Bad, and I'd love to hear COL in the middle of Bullet.

As for your question, the most reasonable answer is that they have to make room for the old songs too. So some songs have to go. And the songs that go are usually beat out by the ones that either have single potential, are crowd pleasers, or fit the general theme of the show.

As much as I love SUC, F/BB, WAS, and COL, I think Breathe, NLOTH, GOYB, UC, magnificent, and MOS do the best job of representing the album, especially in a live setting. Really, Breathe was just meant to bring a stadium to its knees.

Uh, the 360 tour isn't even CLOSE to over yet. Don't you think this is a bit premature?

For the others, some songs don't fit in the setlist, or don't give the band 'that' feeling when they try to play it. Some songs just don't work live.

Uh, the 360 tour isn't even CLOSE to over yet. Don't you think this is a bit premature?

For the others, some songs don't fit in the setlist, or don't give the band 'that' feeling when they try to play it. Some songs just don't work live.
And how do you know, they do not work live – when you have not played them live? This argumentation does not work, sorry.

I have seen some negative comments about the song

Stand Up Comedy

& hey at almost 40 I have the feeling everyone is not going to like what I like no big deal no reason to get angry over it but I will say this

I have a sneaky suspicion that if U2 did unleash Stand Up Comedy LIVE people who do not like the studio/CD version may start to love the song

IMHO of course:hug:

I do like it but I would put it 2nd Tier out of the eleven songs the only one I will listen to but just really cannot get into is

Cedars:reject:

Hey but a Cedars Snippet is fine by me:up:

SUC would be amazing in the stadiums, no doubt. Part of me would like to see what they make of it, but the more stubborn parts of me don't, because it is my least favorite song on NLOTH (even though I still do think it's a very good song) and, in theory, it *might* end up on the setlist instead of another great NLOTH song.

No, this is a perfectly timed thread. The hope is that they might yet play the songs.

And how do you know, they do not work live – when you have not played them live? This argumentation does not work, sorry.

Well, who can say U2 have no tried to play them during rehearsals? If they don't feel the right atmosphere while rehearsing the songs, they don't play it live. I think all the members have said that every once in a while in interviews. Sorry you don't think this argument works, U2 seem to think it does.

Breathe needs two guitar parts in my view- it sounds weak in its current form. And I disagree with BVS over Cedars Of Lebanon. They got Velvet Dress to work nicely after all. COL would work brilliantly as an enlarged snippet after the Edge's solo on BTBS. Themeatically and sonically, it is perfect. If they brought back BTBS AND added COL, I could take that, but only if SHF was dropped.

Breathe needs two guitar parts in my view- it sounds weak in its current form.

:up:

Breathe, MOS, and SUC if it us ever played all should have a 2nd guitar live. Breathe and SUC both have VITAL 2nd guitar rythym parts.

But of course Bono only plays on NLOTH, a song where a 2nd guitar wasnt really essential. :doh:

Not that im complaining, more Bono guitar the better imo.

Interesting replies.

I agree with those who say that some songs probably do not work live. From the NLOTH album, White as snow and Cedars definitely IMO wouldn't work live. However, the one that shocks me the most is SUC - I'm not a huge fan of the song, but I still would have thought they would have played it live by now. Still time though I guess, it still might get played. Fez/BB I'm not sure, I don't think so, but more chance than WAS and COL.

Back
Top Bottom